• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
What do you guys think of Pika's offstage game? Do you guys think it's a good idea to challenge most characters offstage to wrap up a kill when the momentum is all yours?
My god pikachu is boss offstage! Seriously my favorite thing to do offstage is use thunder and T2 right next to the edge so they my be blown mack. Sometimes I dair offstage because of the knockback it has as well as nair them. The funnest thing to do is to repetedly uair them when they're using their recovery and then go for the edgeguard. Also I actually seen some pikachu's using skullbash offstage, but I don't that's a safe idea.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Spam T-jolts like there's no tomorrow, Ike's only response is to shield or jab them. If his positioning is wrong, you can punish him for both of these, just make sure to not get yourself in a wrong position, stage-control wise. Space w/ dtilt, mix-up your shield pressure with full-hop retreating jolts, which beat Ike's oos jab. Learn the cg, learn to edgeguard him, especially on his upB (invincinair, thunder, jolts, fsmash, dair from the top... pikachu has it really easy there).

random swf journey over, bye
What do we do to deal with the great Blubo tho ? :bave:

Also that drama was so stupid.
Would not read again.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Well, Mr.Pikachu, Skullbash offstage can counter ledgehogging since we'll grind the ledge. Sorry, Atney
I was actually talking about using skulbash away from the stage, then pikachu might go to the death/blast zones and die. Like when Anther used skullbash against MJG (I think) offstage when he was snake.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I was actually talking about using skulbash away from the stage, then pikachu might go to the death/blast zones and die. Like when Anther used skullbash against MJG (I think) offstage when he was snake.
It's a HUGE mind game, but I actually go for it at times that someone lands on the smashville platform while it's off stage. Id you're halfway under the platform, they can't shield grab you, if and if it connects it will stop your horizontal momentum. It's a once-per-twenty-rounds kind of thing, but it's not 100% useless.

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
So can we brawl sometime today or tomorrow? And I'll brawl Angiance too if he has time :p
Sure. Shoot me a message for when you're free to play.
What do you guys think of Pika's offstage game? Do you guys think it's a good idea to challenge most characters offstage to wrap up a kill when the momentum is all yours?
I do. We beat most characters off of the stage. I'll even go off against Metaknight depending on the situation. I love to drop down nair people. They expect the rising nair, but not falling.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Something bothersome is the fact that no matter how good the connection is, the button delay will ALWAYS be there, combine this with an HDTV (which adds slightly more button delay) and it's HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD for us Pikachu to brawl on Wi-Fike. Do y'all ever try: PC (Platform Cancel) > Dash Grab?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Ugh, oh nuuuu >~<
That's indeed very troublesome. Tis unfortunate, but it can't be helped.
I go for it at times, yes. Many PC options are great because, though it may seem not seem like it, many players disregard the AT. They don't expect it a lot of the time and a whole lot of players at tournaments can't do it, and therefore don't take into mind that others may be able to.
By any chance, Bell, did you see the other match on my channel?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Well, y'see...the only way I can watch YT vids is through my mom's phone (my phone sucks ass and can only do basic stuff). My mom doesn't let me use her phone, so I have to be sneaky and take the phone when she's asleep. In other words, I never got the chance ^ - ^;

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Oh, don't worry about it, haha. Though I'd appreciate the critique when you get the chance!
Dude, I wish I could get the chance to play you! Friendly matches, you know?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Hey man, trust me, when I get to a Wi-Fi signal, I'll be online ASAP. Don't expect anything fancy though, it takes days for me to adjust to button delay -_-;

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I could say the same for me, haha. I can't play for the life of me on wi-fi brawl XD
In truth, I meant in person I hope we can play one day, haha. Sounds impossible, yet possible.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Ah yes, well that'll happen in the future. I plan on attending many, many, many tournaments, plus I love getting my ass kicked cause it just increases my desire to improve~

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
You seem to have limitations when it comes to tournaments =o Do you mind me asking how old you are by any chance?
And nuuu, my friend, friendly matches to help both of us improve, haha. I'm not boasting of skill, my friend, I've gotten my share of getting stepped on in tourney and outside of tourney too. It truly is how you get better though~

EDIT: Q/A thread D:
Back on topic:
How reliable a kill move do you guys consider n-air to be?

Angiance

Smash Lord
I'm 18, but I look younger then my age (cause I'm a short ass, short ass). We don't even have a car right now, so yeah, a little limited-but there are always ways, no? :p

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Haha, glad I'm not the only one =I
I seeeeeeeeee, and yes, I hope it's possible for you to attend a tournament soon so we can get more Pikas in the scene, haha

Edit: Don't even ask

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
I could be of some help to answer questions as well! Nair is a safe KO option and a move to just throw out there. Well at least that's what someone told me. I'm actually 14 yrs old and I'm with angiance on "I look younger than I appear because I'm small" (saying short is offensive). I'm gonna go to a wifi tourney on Dec 28th. Button delay can be a problem especially if your a pikachu who likes to QAC a lot, but you can get used to it pretty easily if you're playing a person with good wifi.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
I cant stand wifi TBH my play gets a LOT worse when i played Wifi then try going back to normal it takes me like a week to get the wifi crappy timing out of my system entirely which is why I just avoid using Pikachu on wifi now. I use it to train my secondary and use local smashfests to train my chu more cause TBH when you cant move precisely with pikachu your screwed. I think the reason why it takes me so long to unlearn cause i have to delearn it from my muscle memory. Im not so bad at learning stuff but Delearning stuff is a really crappy feeling.

Tourney nerves is honestly something that you get better with with more experience. If you fought me like 3 months ago you would probably laugh at the chokes i would do. Now a days i feel a lot more comfortable even under pressure and have worked on my mentality and my thinking i don't feel massive jitters before matches and honestly in doubles partiularly i hate letting my partner down and i will fight like a crazy man to win. Ive literally won 2V1s again people who have both individually decimated me in singles which made me realize If i play not stupid i can win lol. honestly just practice practice practice. after going down to flordia ive started pretty much going to every single weekly smash fest and have gotten a lot better but still want have a long way to go. for tourneys i didnt even bother entering them at a certain point cause i was donating money to the top of my region and just played a ton of friendly s. Now a days though i enter more tourneys cause i at least have enough skill to take more from them.

And Nair is technically not safe the hitbox on it has put your hurtbox pretty much on your enemy thus they can easily attack you and your Nair wouldnt land. its more a lower risk option then safe (assuming were in the neutral here). in terms of a punish yeah its pretty damn fast hits hard and kills. thing about Nair is choose rather or not your gonna need it early on cause if its stale it loses a lot of punch and watch where you nair your opponent Nairing them across the stage is horrid. Nair them near ledges/blastzones. and learn to auto cancel the attack its very useful. Dont ever be afraid to grab at high % and pummel to destale your moves either if you got a little greedy with it early on. and a funny mixup i learned today actually is throw the Nair out and Fast fall the crappy hitbox into an opponents second jump :) useful for marths that arent in position to Dolphin slash the ledge and puts them in a crappy position gimmicky but W/E.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Hell-Dew, the weak hitbox of N-Air (how 'bout we call sN-Air? Lowercase "s" for soft) seems useful for stringing, since it's such a long hitbox, but at the same time...it seems too punishable. Maybe some experimentation? *shrugs*. Mr.Pikachu, you'll get to those tourneys one day :3

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
The weak spot of n-air (sN-air; gonna make this a thing =I) is an amazing gimping tool and a savior to you when the other play thinks that the hitbox of the move is gone. I make good use of it~. Go for it off stage, where you can't get shielded or grabbed out of it and it become an amazing asset.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Most of us understand it's offstage use, but onstage it -seems- like it could work as a "net" hitbox, to catch someone that's falling; sN-Air > Dash Grab/D-Tilt?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Well, I'm not sure how often someone would be at the perfect percent and character for that to connect reliably but ti could work. It has for me, a couple of times.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Pikachu can go offstage vs some characters, but normally you are giving up stage position if you flub the edgeguard, and stage presence is SUPER important. Pikachu is MUCH better at ledge pressure (Standing on-stage and hitting people for trying to get back on) than edge guarding (Going off-stage and ****ing with people). Pikachu's lack of range really hurts in him in his edgeguarding, although it is still possible. I only really do it vs select characters such as Snake, Lucario, and Ice Climbers.

Angiance

Smash Lord
So, if the enemy is approaching the ledge from say, below stage level, we should just stay onstage instead of grabbing the ledge?

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Falling nair? maybe it would stage spike if hit opponent to the lip of FD. Same with dair. I'm just trying to help.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Well, Mr.Pikachu, any of our aerials can stage spike (even U-Air). Feel free to ask/say anything you want, we ain't gonna bite ^ - ^

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Ok then. Even fair can stage spike? Are you talking about the final hit of fair? Yea I know I can say what I want, but I don't wanna say anything dumb if ESAM is here

Angiance

Smash Lord
The worst thing ESAM can do is correct you, it's not like he's gonna drive to your house and be like "You don't even DESERVE to own brawl!" and break your copy of Brawl in half. Look, no matter how high someone's status is, realize, they're human, like you, like me; just let your mind be freeeeeeeeeeee~

Top Bottom