• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
You might wanna look up the word priority because I'm sure it doesn't mean speed. And Squirtle's jab comes before most attacks since it comes out in a frame.
SmashWiki is helpful(look at the top of the page) or Samurai Panda's most important thread you'll ever read(it's in the Tactical discussion)

Try not to sound like you know everything so you won't end up like Maxfire(look in the user blogs)

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
read my post khanxay. if you want some serious help, then add me and ill put together a squirtle matchup guide for you.
Woops, sorry. I missed the post somehow.

my general strategy with pikachu is defensive on ground, offensive off ledges and in air. Squirtle gets beat by this quite nicely. While on the map, fight from a distance. Even in CC squirtle has a low range of hit. If you are worried about attack priority, pikachus d-smash should outspeed squirtle in all situations. Once hes backed off of you keep fighting from a distance. Dont play a run-away game, or try to out maneuver squirtle. Stay back, watch what your opponent does, and punish him as soon as the opportunity comes.
DSmash doesn't help, Squirtle gets out too easily. And it's hard to stay back when the opponent is in you face all the time. Also, what is CC? Close combat? I don't speak exactly speak SmashBoards too well.

5ive

Smash Champion
that is too predictable. pikachu shouldnt need to retreat, his attacks are high priority and can easily make an opponent back off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnrrksvxuRI

Watch. It's not predictable at all.

Also, that is an overstatement. All characters always have to retreat at some point. You can see this most against a Metaknight, or even a Snake, when mindset is a bit more defensive.

Someone tell me how to fight a Squirtle. His attacks come out faster and type advantage doesn't seem to help. -_-
If you play Pikachu, you should have no trouble against a squirtle. You are better than him; PERIOD.

A lot of match ups come with experience, the more you play a Squitle. The better you will do against him.
and Also look at some of the stickies :laugh:
Truth. If you are having trouble with a matchup, just keep playing against that character.

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnrrksvxuRI

Watch. It's not predictable at all.

Also, that is an overstatement. All characters always have to retreat at some point. You can see this most against a Metaknight, or even a Snake, when mindset is a bit more defensive.

If you play Pikachu, you should have no trouble against a squirtle. You are better than him; PERIOD.
This is truth. Even if the retreat could be predicted, what the hell can you do? It's too fast and you have a jolt coming your way! By the way, priority doesn't matter if your opponent catches on to what you are doing. A shield grab > most moves in the game, anyway.

Zylar

Smash Ace
If squirtle truely is tough for you, another option is to just play defensive. PK is gonna have to switch pokemon eventually.
Even so, it sound like you're having a tough time with a particular person, not necessarily the character.

(Man I do my finals, blink, and there are more pika's. ^^;)

Tagxy

Smash Lord
i agree with squirtle being the hardest PT matchup. If he plays defensively he can hide inside his shell and just race across the screen. Then again, i dont play many PT's.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Hey pika players, i used to use Pika back when Brawl was first released. Anyway, i was wondering, do you guys think, pika can be played fine without the QAC? By that meaning, not using it at every occurrence, and only using it rarely during a match? Do you guys fell pika can still do well?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Well, QAC is mainly mind games however I believe QAC is the reason Pikachu can do so much so fast. So in a sense QAC is essential but Pikachu can still play well. But I can't imagine Pikachu without QAC now. It does so much for Pikachu.

without QAC, Pikachu can't tech chase as fast, can't retreat as fast, can't recover with more options, just loses so many things that are so helpful towards Pikachu and add to his options.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Hiya! Just wanted to know if Pika's FSmash has a lingering hitbox?

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Hey pika players, i used to use Pika back when Brawl was first released. Anyway, i was wondering, do you guys think, pika can be played fine without the QAC? By that meaning, not using it at every occurrence, and only using it rarely during a match? Do you guys fell pika can still do well?
Hey nice seeing you. Yes, he can be played very well without QAC.

Lunar Flare

Smash Rookie
Woops, sorry. I missed the post somehow.

DSmash doesn't help, Squirtle gets out too easily. And it's hard to stay back when the opponent is in you face all the time. Also, what is CC? Close combat? I don't speak exactly speak SmashBoards too well.
I dont see the problem with d-smash, i play competitively and it is my "back off" move. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In Pika vs Falco, who has the advantage?
Falco's move set has the advantages, but I think pikachu can be played better. I main both so its hard to decide.

also to all, i stand corrected about the predictability of QAC + thunder. Thankyou for the video reference. I still think that pikachu doesnt have a strong need to retreat though.

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
Yeah, we are :laugh:
Okay, I have a friend who is REALLY good with falco, and I have trouble approaching him. So and good ways to approach a falco?
On FD, I usually crawl towards Falcos threatening them with d-tilt, and watching for when he does a grab attempt, or forward tilt/smash. But I think making them approach is better.

Lunar Flare said:
I dont see the problem with d-smash, i play competitively and it is my "back off" move. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Well, it may be me. I have my C-stick set to "Attack," So I smash a lot less than I should.

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
Yes... Well it's not a problem. I just want my match between my friend and me to be more of a 60:40ish instead of the 50:50 that it feels like.

Lunar Flare

Smash Rookie
i did my best to find some info for you. The best thing i could come up with is a full offence, focusing on aerial combat. When i was playing the AI i found that it was simple to juggle the squirtle. Now the only downside is that, this full offence was effective against the lvl 9 AI but... AI is extremely easy and "stupid" so it may not work as well against a real person. See what you can do, practice against your friend. Try too abuse dash + up-smash to get squirtle in the air. Uhh, pikachus aerial game is quite nice so i think you should have the advantage. Let me know how your next battles fare against your squirtle friend

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
In response to that other thread:
Lunar Flare said:
I'm just wondering when you all think it is appropriate to use d-smash. I use it when the opponent dodges into me and doesnt have enough time to respond.
When you're surrounded in FFA Wifi.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Squirtle is so easy with pikachu. Dsmash if you panic from aerial approaches. Dsmash > Squirtle, he can DI out of it 99 times but he'll be one pissed off squirtle.

And in a FFA WIFI thunder > dsmash. Thunder wins FFA tournies.

kirbysprite

Smash Cadet
I think I need help against Fox. Yeah, I know Pikachu has like a 9:1 against Fox, but somehow I need help. Yes, my Pikachu is very nooby. I know how to chain grab Fox to 70 but I don't know how to get more damage and kill him.

He knows how to get out of my Dsmash (some of my friends don't know how...)

I can't spam Thunder or Thunder Jolt because he reflects it.

I can't really QAC that good... I usually just use it to Nair him on the ground, but I can't do it that well, I don't know any other reason to use the QAC...

He always, always, ALWAYS, gets me with the Dair to Dsmash, when I'm at high levels. Also, when does the Dair, I don't know whenever he does a Usmash, Dsmash, Utilt, or a grab.

Help please...

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
Squirtle is so easy with pikachu. Dsmash if you panic from aerial approaches. Dsmash > Squirtle, he can DI out of it 99 times but he'll be one pissed off squirtle.
An aerial side b goes through down smash. And his down air seems to go through everything. (That move is evil. Pure evil.)

@kirbysprite: Use forward smash or a running up smash?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pikachu's dsmash definally beats Squirtle's dair. Side b I understand, try footstooling it. You can thunder him if you land it (quite hard though)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I think I need help against Fox. Yeah, I know Pikachu has like a 9:1 against Fox, but somehow I need help. Yes, my Pikachu is very nooby. I know how to chain grab Fox to 70 but I don't know how to get more damage and kill him.

I can't really QAC that good... I usually just use it to Nair him on the ground, but I can't do it that well, I don't know any other reason to use the QAC...

He always, always, ALWAYS, gets me with the Dair to Dsmash, when I'm at high levels. Also, when does the Dair, I don't know whenever he does a Usmash, Dsmash, Utilt, or a grab.

Help please...
Sounds like your biggest problem is that you keep getting Daired. Just remember it's one of Fox's good (yet predictable) approaches, so you should get ready to shield and grab. Also remember that Fox falls really fast, so certain combos should be easy to pull off like up tilt. I usually up tilt after Fox is able to escape Pika's CG.

Sounds like you just need to practise.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=204344

Watch :p
5ive showing off his video again.:laugh:
It really is helpful, though.

K 2

Smash Lord

Help please...
If you get 70% on each of his stock with CG's, he shouldn't have a chance to win. Just a few more tilts and aerials and he should be at kill percentage.

Dair to dsmash doens't work. You have just enough time to powershield any smash attack after dair. Proceed to punishing him.

Work on combo's too. FF fair into anything works really well.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You can't really FF fair into anything. Some characters might try to use a quick attack before you attack out of fair. But if you see that coming, SHIELD GRAB.

neji32

Smash Lord
yes he can, QAC doesnt make up pikachu, its helpful for continueing combos(strings to some) and it can approach well at times, but its really not ment to be used all the time, in which yes, pikachu can be played fine without it but it helps to have it

neji32

Smash Lord

Help please...
If hes in the air, he will Dair right? all you have to do is shield grab him, whens about at 50% Utilt then rising Uair then try another one, if you cant do another one then just Fair into Dsmash, if you do do another one, follow it with thunder. Or if hes at high percent, shield Dsmash to stop his Dair. your Fair is kinda like his Dair remember that, if you cant kill him, try to grab him and throw himn up and IMMEDIATELY thunder. These things may take a little practice or a couple tries but just let him approach and punish him

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
try playing a game with him where you only go for grabs. Especially go for defensive shield grabs.

Alright, you can upsmash for the kill, but that's all. nothing else.

I think you'll find it pleasantly doable.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sticky to reduce spam :).

Top Bottom