• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
its ok i found it and learned how to pivot walk. Working on pivot boosting, stutter step

the glide toss explanation pretty much put how pikas works into good perspective. The timing is still pretty demanding, its about as tough as snakes/ MKs.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
:D

Super early kills with X move to thunder. You can regrab out of his F-throw and B-throw, and he can regrab out of your D-throw. Snake should be the passive player, Pikachu the aggressive one. It is a fun team that ***** pretty hard.

febs

Smash Cadet
thanks esam and isaccard.
why sticky pika though? does it come off and attach onto the opponent during pikachu's chain grab or something?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
thanks esam and isaccard.
why sticky pika though? does it come off and attach onto the opponent during pikachu's chain grab or something?
Think of it as a game of tag. The person "It" has the bomb on them. (a sound is made when the switch happens)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Stickying isn't actually good. It ends up becoming too much of a nuisance and if you lose track of it for a second you are screwed. You are also most likely going to try to attack them WAY more if you have it on you, so you can get hit for a lot of damage...

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
if there's four people on the stage, if you get even a second alone i would sticky pika. doubles are hectic, it'll get off. if they camp, throw sparks and gernandes. you can just wait for the time release and sheild, or jump in and airdodge if you're counting the seconds.

but that's just me :p, depending on how you play and you don't want to get more junk to make things crazy stickying might not be awesome for you. expirement.

altairian

Smash Lord
If they're camping and you needed it off why would you do something as risky as counting the seconds when you can just hold shield and tell your partner to blow it up? :p

Shurely

Smash Cadet
quick question, does pikachu need a secondary or are his bad match ups able to be handled well enough? and if you were to pika secondary who would you pick out of non s/a tier characters?

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
he only has one really bad matchup in marth, other then that most matchups are quite managable, even marth to some extend is managable. he doesnt need a secondary per se but it is nice to have if you feel comfortable in certain matchups

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
What move is best to use if I escape MK's Mach Tornado, and I'm above him? I watched a Toon Link last weekend punish like crazy with his D-AIR.....so I'm just curious as to what pika move works best!

Thanks.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
What move is best to use if I escape MK's Mach Tornado, and I'm above him? I watched a Toon Link last weekend punish like crazy with his D-AIR.....so I'm just curious as to what pika move works best!

Thanks.
I've always used Dair. Just make sure MK isn't going to get out of the way first, it sucks to hit the side of the tornado.
Also, I think he can hit back if he doesn't fly far enough away, so be careful of how close he is after you do it.

gallax

Smash Hero
i agree with esam. i use fair and try to get my head to hit the center of the top of the tornado. it pops mk up a little and it leads to a combo.

edit: its actually like the back of pikas head to hit the center.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Unless MK is only inches from the ground when fair hits MK and cancels his tornado, it is highly doubtful it'll lead to grab or nair or anything at all.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
So you fall with him?

If you pop up, I'm assuming it's near the end. SO you follow his DI and hit him with fair. That's what I normally do when I get hit by tornado, or try to do at least..

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Perhaps. But it's easily avoidable by the MK. I'm not disagreeing with you. Relatively speaking, it's still the best strat against his tornado. That thing is not easily counterable whatsoever.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@Shurely: What Stealth said..... but if you feel you need a secondary, Snake and MK are pretty good ones. I've also heard good things about Wario, DDD, and Marth, but if you pick Marth and aren't comfortable with the Marth MU with Pika, you'll be stuck doing dittos...... :urg:

It really depends on which matchups you personally have trouble with as Pika, because besides Marth (and even that's debatable), everything else is manageable with enough experience.

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
Perhaps. But it's easily avoidable by the MK. I'm not disagreeing with you. Relatively speaking, it's still the best strat against his tornado. That thing is not easily counterable whatsoever.
Yeah, I'm more or less looking for ANYTHING to counter the tornado. I'm not very experienced against MKs (which seems like a terrible weakness), and I tend to fail against it. Pikachu's shield is so small blocking through it doesn't seem viable...unless I'm missing something.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Most brawlers struggle against MK's, this is nothing new. The best piece of advice I can give you for them is one quoted from Isai himself, "don't jump into the ****". Do NOT go all aggro. Be patient, and punish them. They will drop their guard from time to time.

gallax

Smash Hero
Most brawlers struggle against MK's, this is nothing new. The best piece of advice I can give you for them is one quoted from Isai himself, "don't jump into the ****". Do NOT go all aggro. Be patient, and punish them. They will drop their guard from time to time.
unless ur esam, which in that case u can be super aggessive and not give a da..

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
I'm having difficulty approaching Snakes at the moment. And there are a lot of snake players here in the Monmouth area. I have a couple ideas. Since I also play snake, I found that Fthrow X10 > Uthrow is a great tactic, because it sets them up for a thunder if they are surprised and don't DI, and Snake sucks huge balls in the air. I can just juggle them from there, and hopefully get a thunder kill.

Spamming Tjolt from afar also is effective at annoying snakes because it stops their grenades. His missles can be easily Powershielded, and I seem to have luck predicting other Snake's Mortar Slides. It's just that I somehow always lose. I got sooooo close to beating this snake at the last tourney, but I got eliminated before I could get him with a good Nair or Usmash (He was at around 150% somehow.) He kept missing with Utilts, so he somehow killed me with Fthrow. -.-

Any advice on killing Snakes? I mostly need advice on approaching, because I have trouble getting in close so I can abuse Pika's CGs and Snake's air weakness.

Thanks a lot! =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=530U-ZMz0Xk

how come there is nothing about this anywhere?
I think I just came.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
If a snake is not di ing after ten f throws you are playing a bad player.

for approaching snakes, i throw a lot of tjolts, instant throw gernandes back, and when you're in his area just play smart. powersheild dem u tilits since they have so much range+his other tilts, they all have enough time for you to punish effectively. you really just have to play safe.

for killing snakes I usually kill with an upsmash oos after powersheilding something, a nair when he's in the air and it's fresh, thunderwalls and footstool/cypher grabs. getting him off the stage with ftilt out of sheilding junk is good too.

also, if you notice a snake is mashing when you're buffering a dthrow chaingrab, he won't have a jump and you can just let him go at the end with no jump since he mashed, and if he does realize it in time to try and c4 recover, just jump down and footstool.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Fthrow x10 is guaranteed on Snake, but generally they won't let you grab them in a position where you can do 10 in a row. (I don't even think FD is that long......)

Don't think the usmash is guaranteed, though...... (not sure if you were referring to that or the CG, isaccard).

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
i meant if a snake isn't holding di after a fthrow chaingrab they're probably bad.

and i meant if a snake is on you ftilting and you powersheild it, you can upsmash oos.

Top Bottom