• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Angiance

Smash Lord
My point is, I know practically everything on my FLUFFING character, and for y'all to pretty much say I don't know ANYTHING on my character, it's pretty damn insulting...just because I haven't been to a tournament yet doesn't mean I don't know how my freakin' character works...yeesh...

Anther

Smash Champion
HOLY ****! IT'S ANTHER!
Don't be too loud I might get startled and run away ;p.

Also yall should calm down. Angiance feels the knowledge of pika is abundant and there's nothing wrong with that. There's no test to say otherwise ;x. It's not like it matters anyway?!

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Holden, please back me up here. He just doesn't get it.

Anther, you don't know. This kid claims he's a pika genius but asks all these simple minded questions.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Angiance, I just told you. I don't give a **** about what you know. I'm arguing that you don't know a lot about Pikachu. You STILL DON'T GET IT. You're ****ing annoying, and no one respects you because you don't know your place. And you are NOT the most knowledgable pika. You might now a whole lot of tech. But you're just not as knowledgeable as someone who's been studying, playing, and attending tournaments with the character since the game came out. Know your place. Damn it kid, get a clue.

Anther: Please tell me you're going to apex!

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
This thread needs more love
Angiance : what I think he is trying to say is that there's a quite big credibility gap between your claims and what you actually did with the character.
Also you may sure know a lot about a character, but the real deal is to apply this knowledge in situation, to use the right tool at the right time. And this only comes with actual experience unless you're a effin genius.
Just try to not talk big and it will be fine.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
ICs don't go even with PIkachu, they win +1 at least on the current restricted stagelist #BringbackMLGstages
In the stagelist where I am from, all the lame stages are legal, but RC is banned. #freerainbowcruise
On the other hand, my pika has never lost to an ice climber, simply because of my defensive play (I mean it when I say I'm the lamest pikachu) and maining ICs
I know that you play ICs as well, but focus on pikachu more, but I have ICs as my main focus and live with another ICs main who I practice my pika on
I honestly think pikachu doesn't have any bad matchups as long as he stays on neutrals

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I'm done with this thread. Until that kid gets it or is banned I'm done here. HE'S STILL ASKING QUESTIONS? I thought you were the most knowledgeable pika?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Yeah well, it's frustrating that people think that just because someone can't attend tournaments, they're somehow incapable of studying their character and wielding a great amount of knowledge...but whatever.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
*****! I NEVER SAID YOU WEREN'T KNOWLEDGABLE! I SAID YOU'RE ****ING ANNOYING! This will be my third time telling your ******** ass that. You know what. I said I'm done. I'm done

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Bell does ask a lot of question.He may not be the #1 most knowledgeable with pika, but dang it, he has determination to improve and learn about his character.
I respect that, it means he has potential.
I personally think he sounds pretty knowledgeable, but K Prime and ESAM have a lot more experience and knowledge overflowing out of them lol

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
I think Ram is just aggravated with him asking 50 million questions about "the front half tip of up air" and stuff that is really trivial.

Thor

Smash Champion
(Sort of creepy but whatever) I just liked everything Anther posted, and anyone who was like yay Anther... because it's f******** Anther (loves the original Pikachu vs MK vids I saw where Pikachu wins... they sort of dragged me into wanting to be competitive and also make me want to not disrespect Pikachu by playing him better) (also I really like that avatar). And sorry ESAM, I really hate ICs too much...

That said, you do ask a lot of trivial questions Angiance. And you may be fairly knowledgeable about Pikachu tech as a whole, but it's more relevant in how it relates to other characters in MUs and how you put it to practice - I'm glad to know that dair is more punishable than it looks to the uninformed - that's why I'm using it less and working to get better (MN has no tourneys so this stuff won't be that useful except at Smashfests until college if I don't go to the U of M) [and I'm looking at UT Austin for a choice, so I *should* be near]. Tanget aside, tjolt away from the opponent really depends on punishability - MK can probably punish unless he's just plain too far away, while properly spaced it would seem to bait Ike quite easily (Ike's best option, if you're in an interesting range, would be up-angled ftilt or maybe a RAR'd bair). But generic questions like "Is _____ _______ or _______" are not terribly relevant, and for the most part they're pretty easy to just go and test. You have a Wii (I would hope) - go and test it out in training mode or try it out in a free-for-all - not it's definitely not perfect but you can at least form a hypothesis and ask here about uses of what you think instead of just asking (on its own) silly questions (that's why I asked about implementing SH fair and SH dair instead of just like, how to approach in the air with aerials - though for some stuff I couldn't play to test so I get it if you ask a few questions here and there).

And I'm not going to say, don't look for knowledge. Just like, watch videos of ESAM (or Anther <3) or KPrime or PikaPika or Z or someone and see what they do - if they rarely do something there's probably a good reason for it, and if you can't figure it out, THEN you ask. But in my opinion, jolting away from someone is silly, since you can probably do it at them, unless you for seem reason want to bait them and think they'll stay on the ground and that them not jumping somehow favors you (which seems unlikely).

------

Bottom line: I really like Anther (those vids sucked me in when I found them), test or look for videos and then ask Angiance. And if someone can forward me to a more accurate MU chart (I like the numbers, unless you just recommend the one on this site somewhere), please do so. And I hope I didn't scare Anther away *facepalm*.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Actually Thor, I do consistantly watch tournament videos, and I use my video player's super slow motion feature (so I can catch each and every little action). I do this in a depressingly repetitive manner though :p As for the whole shooting T-Jolt away from the opponent thing, I noticed ESAM does it as (what I believe to be) bait for the U-Air on occasion.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Um, Holden...bro...the front area of our U-Air is one of our main spacing weapons...

Um, Angiance bro... I never said it wasn't. Don't change the subject, my comment was on the amount of trivial questions you ask, not on whether or not up air is one of our main spacing weapons

Player -0

Smash Hero
Actually Thor, I do consistantly watch tournament videos, and I use my video player's super slow motion feature (so I can catch each and every little action). I do this in a depressingly repetitive manner though :p As for the whole shooting T-Jolt away from the opponent thing, I noticed ESAM does it as (what I believe to be) bait for the U-Air on occasion.
M2K v2
On the topic of who's the most whatever pikachu, I'm the Free-est Pikachu!

Also why are you so serious about this...?
Question: Is attempting to save a partner with a bad recovery via quick attacking them then back to the ledge ok? I know you could only do it about once per situation but would it help or would it be situational?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Ramsaur just gets pissy sometimes, I don't blame him honestly. Yes, QA in that manner would be okay to save your team mate since it'll knock them out of freefall, although it's situational like you said.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Does anyone think that skull bash can be used on the ground to hit someone? Sometimes I accidentally do it and kinda notice that they hold their shield for quite awhile and I thought that maybe it could be used to break their shields or wait until they punish or whatever.

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
Does anyone think that skull bash can be used on the ground to hit someone? Sometimes I accidentally do it and kinda notice that they hold their shield for quite awhile and I thought that maybe it could be used to break their shields or wait until they punish or whatever.
Not an any level of competitive play. It's too slow. You'll get punished 99 times out of 100. Now, if their shield is already broken, Skull Bash is your best option to punish.

Anther

Smash Champion
I think there's psychological merit to skullbash. If the person can't tell that you messed up then it looks like you're not taking them seriously or you possibly have a really strong read on them. On the ground I believe it's rarely your best punishment option as pika's dash + whatever move will get you to any area that skullbash could possibly punish and result in a better combo setup AND be less prone to being dodged by an up+b or various stall options the other character has. If you're charging skullbash they're allowed to avoid landing with quite a few more moves than usual since there's no chance of you punishing if they can stall at all.

And I hope I didn't scare Anther away *facepalm*.
'';!

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Yeah well, it's frustrating that people think that just because someone can't attend tournaments, they're somehow incapable of studying their character and wielding a great amount of knowledge...but whatever.
People are only saying that because people tend to gain experience and show experience at tournaments. Knowing how to do something and actually doing it are completely different.
I'm not saying you don't know your stuff, I'm simply stating why certain people are saying what they're saying.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I've broken plenty of shields with it.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Well Ookami, our shield is very deadly (one of our main weapons even) since we've got such a powerful OoS game; if Skullbash is PS'd, which isn't hard to do, you'll be eating alot of damage.

Reth92

Smash Cadet
well, skullbash can be used for a surprise attack when the oponement isn't too far in the air sometimes. I've seen it in matches from ESAM, even though I'm expecting they were tech errors <.<

Top Bottom