• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Thor

Smash Champion
Ookami Hajime said:
not sure about the frame advantage involved with what you're talking about with f-air
If by not sure you mean "not sure what frame advantage is," then I'll detail it briefly here. If you know what that is, skip to below the line I put in my post.

By frame advantage, I mean time when you are free to act and they are in hitstun. As an example, you do an attack with 10 frames of lag and the opponent is in hitstun for 20 frames (not the kind that can be airdodged out of either, think like Fox chaingrab hitstun frames where it's too early to break out) - so you have a 10 frame advantage, which is long enough to ftilt, dtilt, possibly utilt, upsmash, jab, or grab them, if they are in the right spot (or even nair them if you jump quickly).

I believe fair has like 15 frames of lag when landing and it puts someone in hitstun for like 21- 23 frames (not sure how many), so you can dsmash, ftilt, grab, and maybe utilt or dtitl, and you can also jab (not very useful unless right by the edge). I know for sure the other person can powershield/regular shield usmash though, so that does not combo [because that has 9 frames of startup, larger than the frame advantage of 6-8 frames].

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you mean "not sure if there is a frame advantage," all the testing and in-combat usage I've done suggests there is one, and I've never seen anything that says it does not have the advantage on hit. It is possible though that the frame advantage window is very tight (like only 6 or 7 frames) which means one has to be quick with their combos. Again, that's why I wanted ESAM (or Anther or some other very knowledgeable Pikachu [or maybe M2K since he's very knowledgeable about frame data and traps]) to help us out.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
If I record my ssbb match on my SD card can the content be used to make it into a video?
You'll have to import it into Dolphin, which is a huge pain in the a** in itself and you have to keep the video at 60 fps (and make a separate sound file if you're using Dolphin's built in frame dumper)

Much easier to take out your iPhone and film the screen at 3am, when everything is quiet.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
If by not sure you mean "not sure what frame advantage is," then I'll detail it briefly here. If you know what that is, skip to below the line I put in my post.

By frame advantage, I mean time when you are free to act and they are in hitstun. As an example, you do an attack with 10 frames of lag and the opponent is in hitstun for 20 frames (not the kind that can be airdodged out of either, think like Fox chaingrab hitstun frames where it's too early to break out) - so you have a 10 frame advantage, which is long enough to ftilt, dtilt, possibly utilt, upsmash, jab, or grab them, if they are in the right spot (or even nair them if you jump quickly).

I believe fair has like 15 frames of lag when landing and it puts someone in hitstun for like 21- 23 frames (not sure how many), so you can dsmash, ftilt, grab, and maybe utilt or dtitl, and you can also jab (not very useful unless right by the edge). I know for sure the other person can powershield/regular shield usmash though, so that does not combo [because that has 9 frames of startup, larger than the frame advantage of 6-8 frames].

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you mean "not sure if there is a frame advantage," all the testing and in-combat usage I've done suggests there is one, and I've never seen anything that says it does not have the advantage on hit. It is possible though that the frame advantage window is very tight (like only 6 or 7 frames) which means one has to be quick with their combos. Again, that's why I wanted ESAM (or Anther or some other very knowledgeable Pikachu [or maybe M2K since he's very knowledgeable about frame data and traps]) to help us out.
No no, I know what it is, I just wasn't aware of the exact frame data for landing f-air. Thanks for getting me up to date with that =o

Thor

Smash Champion
Just an FYI, I don't have exact data for the frame advantage (I don't know if the advantage is 7 or 8 frames, or maybe 6, although that contradicts some other stuff I've read). From what I've read, I believe dsmash is frame 6, ftilt is frame 5, utilt backside is frame 7, dtilt is frame 7, and usmash is frame 9. Then based on testing I've concluded that it generates at least a 6 frame advantage, but not more than 8 (or else the usmash hitbox is so miniscule it doesn't hit someone almost directly in front of you just barely airborne or on the ground). Like I said, if ESAM, Anther, or some other wise player knows, exact data (the frame number) would be cool.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
am I a bad person by gimping a Falco at the ledge with jolts?
So the same guy CP'd Wolf against my Ness (PKF spam got to him) and then I CP'd Pika against his Wolf. He DC'd the brawl after he let me CG him to 70 after I did like... 8 or 9 dash grabs, and he left without saying a word.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong here.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
I've been testing with some awesome stuff lately and realized how good pikachu's jab is

I asked a few of my crewmates to play me on wifi and started to shield on the battlefield platform, waiting for them to hit me with an aerial. After I got hit, I jabbed Oos... QAL'd 3 times!!!!!

If anyone isn't sure what I'm talking about, check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrGMeyJo5EI

Any input? I think this is pretty awesome...
(Note: Both single jabs and Rapid jabs were used)

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Yes, haha. Jab off a platform leads into wonderful things.
But I don't advise waiting for them there! Most players will attack you from below so, though it is a great thing to know, it's very coincidental that a good oppurtunity comes up to use it. Keep it in mind and use it when you can, but don't fish for it too much ^^

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Yes, haha. Jab off a platform leads into wonderful things.
But I don't advise waiting for them there! Most players will attack you from below so, though it is a great thing to know, it's very coincidental that a good oppurtunity comes up to use it. Keep it in mind and use it when you can, but don't fish for it too much ^^
Of course I won't just wait on the battlefield platforms and shield, but if someone messes up their platform shield pressure and rises too high, they are going to get the QAC lock lol

Player -0

Smash Hero
I've been testing with some awesome stuff lately and realized how good pikachu's jab is

I asked a few of my crewmates to play me on wifi and started to shield on the battlefield platform, waiting for them to hit me with an aerial. After I got hit, I jabbed Oos... QAL'd 3 times!!!!!

If anyone isn't sure what I'm talking about, check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrGMeyJo5EI

Any input? I think this is pretty awesome...
(Note: Both single jabs and Rapid jabs were used)
I believe you can also nair people that're shielding on platforms and near the edge and that can lead to a QaL too.

Thor

Smash Champion
HEY ESAM WE'RE BEING USEFUL AGAIN!!! PLEASE COME BACK!!! I WANT ANSWERS ABOUT THE FRAME DATA STUFF I MENTIONED EARLIER!!!

I think it's based on traction, but not knockback... like, I think it's just a question of who you're doing it to... Luigi is probably really easy while Dedede more often then not probably shield-grab b-throw for 16%, unless on the very edge. Also a question of if it's the strong or weak nair - strong nair is probably better for better pushback while weak nair means you can start the lock sooner if you get them to fall off.

I think (not know but think) jab has set knockback, so it should work at any percent too...

I miss ESAM posting here...

Angiance

Smash Lord
more of a hammer

is RARSH upair > grab from the opponements shield considered a good approach? I've seen ESAM do it at apex and tried it, it worked very well on my part
Well, a string wouldn't really be considered an approach; RAR, in itself, is a powerful approach option though :3

Thor, ESAM stopped posting cause he's kinda...nevermind ^ - ^

No, shield push isn't based on percent

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Jabbing someone off the edge of a platform works at all percent, though the lock only works about after 60%.
And ESAM isn't posting simply because he doesn't feel like it at the moment. There's no other reason. He would jump back to this forum if he feels like it so don't worry about it; it's not like he's disregarding it, he just has other things doing most likely. He'll give some input eventually so keep up the patience~!

D

Deleted member 189823

I'm not getting a good grasp of the character, yet. ;A; But I don't feel like quitting...

Any advice? (you may also recommend me videos of people to watch, haven't been watching much)

Angiance

Smash Lord
I'm not getting a good grasp of the character, yet. ;A; But I don't feel like quitting...

Any advice? (you may also recommend me videos of people to watch, haven't been watching much)
Oz, Pikachu is difficult to be good with (ESPECIALLY online, what a nightmare) it'll take a while before you begin understanding Pikachu.

For advice, tell us specifically what'cha don't understand (KOing, Spacing, Approaching, etc.) :3

D

Deleted member 189823

Call me dumbass, but I still feel lost about his approaches...I know one is not supposed to be a one-trick-pony, but there is a usually a basic run-down a character has to approach. Like say, MK/Marth and their F-Airs.
Reading a bit here, I take it we're not supposed to F-Air all the time, especially FF'ing it (since it doesn't really give you that frame advantage)?

I think once I get this really basic thing down, I can start working with the other things.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Call me *******, but I still feel lost about his approaches...I know one is not supposed to be a one-trick-pony, but there is a usually a basic run-down a character has to approach. Like say, MK/Marth and their F-Airs.
Reading a bit here, I take it we're not supposed to F-Air all the time, especially FF'ing it (since it doesn't really give you that frame advantage)?

I think once I get this really basic thing down, I can start working with the other things.
F-Air is used as a counter against non-disjointed attacks (there are exceptions however)

Approach
#1: FH T-Jolt

#2: Shield Slide into the opponent's range, we have very strong OoS play

#3: SH AD: a very basic but powerful approach

#4: QAC: an advanced skill, and it takes correct timing, but it's ridiculous with proficient use

#5: Dash in and spotdodge: kinda lame and nooby, but our spotdodge is top 5 in-game I believe, very slippery~

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Like say, MK/Marth and their F-Airs.
Against Marth I would advise you to stay just out of his reach during any neutral situation, and to react depending the way he approach (let's deal with fair).
If fair toward you but you're (just) out of his reach, he can be punished (dash to whatever you want).
If retreating fair but you're still out of his reach, it's a bit more difficult to punish, you'll have to guess what he'll do next, or you can also just do B, do nothing and just gain more field advantage or try to get in with some QA mixups.
The main deal in this matchup is to not get shield ***** for free, so once you got that do your thing, and watch out for his full/short hop variations.

And against MK it's more difficult but kinda similar.
You'll just tend to throw more jolts in neutral situations to encourage him to approach.
Also something I personally like to do (read something cool but incidentally not safe/useful at all) when the retreating fair is on shield but seems sort of safe, it to jab (once) oos.
If MK trips it's fine so you can follow up and do big damage/string or kill if you don't mess up, and the MK will prolly be more passive so you can get in more easily.
But if he doesn't you're in some real **** especially if you have high %. The jab recovery/cooldown whatever it's called is too damn high so if he's aware of the situation (or just luckily is buffering something) MK will be able to punish you with a lot of his tools.

Here are my 2 cents.

Thor

Smash Champion
We also have SH dair (high damage, REALLY laggy if you mess it up, I usually use it more for retreating) and RARFH bair as a whack mixup (still autocancels though). Dtilt is also pretty good although I'm not well-versed with it. And run-up shield grab is nice, you can hold shield if you think the attack is coming or else just straight shieldgrab to avoid the dash grab lag.

Reth92

Smash Cadet
well, I might have some experience in 2v1 (but not a bunch). avoiding grabs is of course a number one priority, so camp on platforms like the smashville one. Don't EVER get greedy because I experienced it, 2 people can put out tons of damage if they manage to get a single it on you (it's kind of like a IC's MU, except the nana is a pain in the ***). So yeah: don't get in. sometimes one of them will be a "tank". It will stay out of the fight in order to supply the team in lives while the other attacks. However, they usually get 1 or 2 attacks of and run away >< I don't know anything about approaching thought :/ Please give more informaions on your opponements (sorry if there is any grammar faults, I'm french)

Player -0

Smash Hero
Don't forget that you can run past them and pivot grab the one in the back and B- Throw or D-Throw if they're lined up. If you manage to separate them then put as much damage on the one next to you as you can and once they start going aggro on you back off immediately. While they're chasing you don't forget that you can catch them off guard with a quick smash (not down smash).

Play slippery in 2v1's, make them want to fight you but as soon as they approach begin to play campy again. Try to get them to do something rash.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I play on the edge in 2v1. If they get impatient, they might get too close; up air from the edge can reverse the positioning. Bait stupid actions basically.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
The hardest and most annoying 2vs1 I've been in is with me vs. ZSS and Ness/lucas. I'd perfer to go for ZSS in this match-up because ZSS can't heal like Ness and lucas can, but their PK fire and spikes are such a big problem especially offstage.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
I have a huge problem with shield grabbers. How can you counter a shield grab? It seems impossible! It's like they're attacking in their shield. Help me

Player -0

Smash Hero
I have a huge problem with shield grabbers. How can you counter a shield grab? It seems impossible! It's like they're attacking in their shield. Help me
Try not to double post...

Don't land in front of their shield if you do an aerial, weave in and out or cross them up. You can also do grabs or just Jolt their shield from a safe distance.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Smashboards kicked me off from watching this thread, along with the social. I was wondering why I wasn't getting any notifications...

From what I read the past few pages, SH fair is minus on shield, edge slip isn't based on percent, jab LOCK only works at like 60+ (There was a thread that detailed percents a while ago) but it will force a get-up at all %s, and....2v1s are never advantageous.

Also, SH Airdodge is a terrible approach all the time forever. Obviously that's hyperbole...but you should never really do that. If you are predicting a move, just shield it...

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
Know what, honestly, it seems like our greatest weapon (aside from our tail) is our shield; hitting it is like stepping on a land mine

Top Bottom