• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Jtails style. Rate it?

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Oh hi!

I saw the Vids. Very epic comebacks from 1 stock. I think it could use more out of shield attacks... maybe? Your grabs were nicely done. On the DDD, more chaingrabs would probably have helped a little bit more. Maybe you could have tried abusing the opponent offstage a lil bit more and offstage thunders on Zelda and DDD. I enjoyed the vids for the most part. :D

My strategies against DDD is to wear down their shields with tjolts from afar and SH hovering f-air or a single SH fake-out to double jump fast-falling (retreating) f-air to wear shields down more. One knick and its a chaingrab-fest for you until higher percents. I am pretty sure you would have won though if it weren't for the full smash in stock 2 (was it?).

Against Zelda, i try to pressure from afar and psyche her out with jumps and fakes and f-airs for advancing and retreating. As for that Din's fire, whether you are afar or trying to advance, a autocanceled d-air or n-air with cancel the Explosion and you won't get hurt, but still get be able to advance.

I nice QaC's. Do you like QaC > u-air/n-air... i hear that's pretty good.

Nice vids, and i hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, still a fledgeling smashboards'er

PS. SO many ppl posting vids.... I feel so.... unknown and..... forgotten.... :'(
......... i need vids of my own...........

Zylar

Smash Ace
Props for showing vids where you lost.

Video 1 :
2 lols. Lol, can't sidestep din's fire... >.<. Lol, didn't punish the transformation because she was still invincible.

Notice how Zelda began to perform din's fire in the air more often? You challenged her din's fire with tjolt many times. It worked sometimes, you shielded, she got hit.
So then she just jumped and did din's fire. In that position she could advance while you're shielding or wait for and punish your eventual retaliation. And most of the time din's fire > tjolt.

That being said do similar. FULLhop your tjolts, this way you can retreat, advance, etc, but switch it up with DJing your tjolts. Retreat with a QAC > tjolt.
Stay unpredictable.

Whenever you got close after a barrage of din's fire spam, Zelda would use dtilt or Fsmash you many times, or sidestep > something. She's expecting you to do something, and you're getting punished for it.

Don't fully charge your skull bash when your on the stage. REALLY predictable and punishable. >.<

Video 2 :
You messed up the chain grab. :( More chain grabs.
With a character that outspaces you, it helps to be in their face and agressive so that the outspacing does count but the predicting and mindgames does.
Very good with predicting his recovery though. :)

Sry, but I'm tired so that's all I got to say for now...

Jtails

Smash Lord
WOW the pikachu boards are really niice =]

thanks alot LDPK, i will take your advice on OOS attacks, and i didnt know that about dins. ill be sure to do it next time! im glad you enjoyed them, your opinions and insight were greatly appreciated ^_~

yea LOL at my vids!
Ill be sure to fullhop my tjolts from now on. and yea that skullbash was a bad idea. lol he perfect shielded it!
so should i like to fake out or something? like short hop air dodge. or dash dance? lol.

yea my chain grab messed up idk i was nervous?
im greatful for your words, even though you're sleepy. thanks a ton! =]

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
*staying up late again* oh another ally needs helps?....

*Quickly comes to aid* :D

I recently like to run REAL close but far enough so that they can't hit you by SH'ing towards you with an aerial, then jump once.

From there, if its the start of battle, out comes the thunder jolts.

After a while and I find myself across the stage again from my foe, i would run exactly in the same way and jump, but this time sorta experiement with things: use the second jump backwards and see what the opponent "would have done" should you have just rushed in there. Does their shields pop up for a sec? Do they SH towards you? Away even? And as I am high in the air after this I descend without tjolt so that it "seems" like i just intended to attack. And there i have it... i figured a little bit more of how my opponents react. Use the knowlege with a dash of wisdom and you'll own.

Dash dancing can be punished when you trip--i normally just prefer walking or even crawling for gournd fake-outs. Seriously, most opponents can't stand a crawling pika for some reason (is it the eyes? lol). You tick them off, they think you're vulnerable, they just start coming through your door of their own free will for some shock therapy ^_^

As for the SH airdodge, DI'ing fowards about 1/3 of the way and the 2/3 rest of the airdodge backwards will most likely put pikachu in a favorable position if you already have decent spacing beforehand.

On another note, if in doubt, throw tons of jabs when landing from a plain short hop. Most opponents expect a f-air of some sort and the horizontal reach of pika's jab is long enough to get most people (except DDD) without tether grabs. Try it out in a friendly one day and see if you like it. It annoys and repeated spamming (accurate spamming) will infuriate any foe. And that equals pika's victory.

As for everything else, Zylar covered them nicely.

Hope this helps. Night guys.

Sincerely,

Jtails

Smash Lord
cool so basically studying and mind games. sounds like a great part of pikachu's metagame.

how about Down or Ftilt? i like never use those. I try jabs on DDD but he can grab through! but yea spamming jabs at times is fun.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I try to do the f-tilts and d-tilts and trust me.... they are REALLY nice in many situations, but they never really come intuitively for me just yet. Ask any of the others, they'll know more about the right times to use it than I. Keep up the pika.

Sincerely,

Jtails

Smash Lord
thanks for everything LP, i shall have more vids up probably next month. some tourny vids =]]]

stevensteve

Smash Cadet
needs more nair out of shields. f-smash is too slow to use for punishment.

first match had nice mind games :) jab led to trip-> grab lol

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I like your agressive playstyle. You're as aggressive as I am. However, we choose our moves quite differently.

Let me pinpoint your most conspicuous errors:

Use t-jolts more to approach, and in doing so NEVER attempt a grounded t-jolt. Aerial (full hop/double jump) t-jolts are the better choice 100% of the time.
You can improve your ground game with dtilt for spacing. Many times you attempted a grab or d-smash when you could have more safely connected with a dtilt.
With that said, reduce your ground game and approach more often by air.
Increase your usage of fairs. Use the fair combos and you'll be comboing for huge additional damage every stock.
I saw a number of missed opportunities for nair against the DDD. Save it for when the opponent is at high percentages and use that uair for low to mid percentages.

Overall, very nice Pikachu. I truly do appreciate watching an aggressive Pikachu. You know how to thunder edgeguard and keep up a good pressure game. Keep at it. If you want further help, refer to our High Voltage clan thread.

Top Bottom