• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Pikachu Q&A Thread (Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer)

Firzy

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've been trying out pikachu recently and I really enjoy him. I had a question specifically regarding his back air. Does it just randomly send people flying in different directions? I tried to test it and got mixed results. Sometimes I sent people forward and other times they flew behind me. I really like using it to stage spike so it would be really helpful to know how to control where I send people.
I didn't practice that much ,but what it seemed to me , when I used it in battle,it send in the opposite direction of my stick. In other words ,if you want to make him go on the right,hold left ^^' I can be wrong, but I usually use this in order to send the oppenent offstage to try and get the edgeguard. Be careful though,sometimes it's random o:

infomon

Smash Scientist
I think it's just which side of you they're on when they hit the last hit. Like if they're closer to the left then they'll go flying left...

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
I've been noticing some "staple things" that I've been doing while messing around in Training Mode. Can you guys tell me if they're good or what's wrong/unsafe about them? These were all against CPUs, which is a large reason why I ask.
  • Although this isn't a CPU thing, I feel that against characters with fast dashes: spamming dtilt in the neutral game to bait, punishing with a DA on reaction to a bum-rush. So pretty much :GCD:+:GCCD:, then :GCR:+:GCCD: on reaction. DA reaches significantly farther than dtilt. Definitely can't use this too much, since DA overall is just really punishable. Seems like a nice mixup, though. My main concern with this is that Pika's DA probably doesn't have very much priority.
  • Double jumping back to the stage with a Thunder. It always worked in Brawl, and I don't know, it feels weird in this game with thunder's "wall" being nerfed.
  • Double jumping in place offstage and doing Thunder. I sweetspot with this sometimes, albeit, against CPUs.
  • Dash -> Fullhop nair as an approach. On block, I double jump away. It seems like against a bum-rusher, you may be able to land a retreating fair, because a retreating double jump + dat slow airspeed looks like a nice opportunity to punish Pika. But yeah, seems really punishable. Is fullhop nair a good option for Pika overall? His slow airspeed makes it seem not as safe for him as it is for other characters. It's nice though, since it's a lot harder to get shieldgrabbed with FH nair.
  • FF fair -> any smash attack. Seems like it shouldn't be able to work, but it worked against the CPUs...
Yep. Tell me everything that's wrong about these things.
Moving this to the next page because I want this answered.

Firzy

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,does someone has any tips for the fox Match up? I've been playing against one and I did'nt understood a **** x) he actually can jab cancel to Usmash and it seems to be legit,his Nair just ****ing break everything I try to do , and all in all i'm just a sandbag for him actually x)

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Moving this to the next page because I want this answered.
* D-tilt can work with precise timing against incoming DA's. The superior choice is to predict and perfect shield it followed by a grab. Don't concern yourself with Pikachu's DA's priority. It'll still parry any opponent's DA.
* Double jumping back to the stage with Thunder? Do you mean while the opponent is also trying to make it back to the stage? If so, then it is still a safe tactic unless the opponent can escape above it.
* Double jumping in place with Thunder is great if you know the opponent is not going to skate on above it. The cloud can send the opponent straight down with the bolt to the shockwave around you and send them flying. That's always satisfying.
* FH Nair is not a particularly good approach unless used punishing an opponent's imprudent landing or move lag.
* FF fair -> F-smash is a great kill option at high %'s. Please don't try it unless the opponent is over 100%.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
* D-tilt can work with precise timing against incoming DA's. The superior choice is to predict and perfect shield it followed by a grab. Don't concern yourself with Pikachu's DA's priority. It'll still parry any opponent's DA.
* Double jumping back to the stage with Thunder? Do you mean while the opponent is also trying to make it back to the stage? If so, then it is still a safe tactic unless the opponent can escape above it.
* Double jumping in place with Thunder is great if you know the opponent is not going to skate on above it. The cloud can send the opponent straight down with the bolt to the shockwave around you and send them flying. That's always satisfying.
* FH Nair is not a particularly good approach unless used punishing an opponent's imprudent landing or move lag.
* FF fair -> F-smash is a great kill option at high %'s. Please don't try it unless the opponent is over 100%.
Ahh, thanks for answering.
Also, since I'm guessing that you're implying that FH nair is unsafe on block, does that mean that SH nair is superior in most situations?

Muro

Smash Lord
I have a couple of questions.
1. Is it me or does fair have exceptionally bad frame disadvantage on shield?
2. I've been able to quick attack cancel to the edge and instantly nair, but sometimes I either grab the edge or enter helpless state. I start standing on stage, close to the edge, up-b then push the directional stick diagonally down and to the edge, then I time my nair, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but what am I doing wrong? It seems to have something to do with the distance I am from the ledge but I'm not too sure.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Fair on-shield is fine as long as you; a) avoid hitting a shield with the 5th hit; b) move out after it hits a shield

Last edited:

Muro

Smash Lord
that's what I thought. 5th hitbox is good on hit but it's terrible on shield. Any takers for the 2nd question?
(please quote me so it's easier to check for responses, thanks)

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I have a couple of questions.
1. Is it me or does fair have exceptionally bad frame disadvantage on shield?
2. I've been able to quick attack cancel to the edge and instantly nair, but sometimes I either grab the edge or enter helpless state. I start standing on stage, close to the edge, up-b then push the directional stick diagonally down and to the edge, then I time my nair, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but what am I doing wrong? It seems to have something to do with the distance I am from the ledge but I'm not too sure.
Fair on-shield is fine as long as you; a) avoid hitting a shield with the 5th hit; b) move out after it hits a shield
Angiance is correct- if you notice that the opponent shields the first hitbox of Fair, you must immediately drop pressure and back off. You'll land a safe distance away from the opponent if you do this.
As for Quick Attack Edge Canceling, or QAEC, I don't bother to attempt it at the edge of the stage, only on platforms due to how precise it needs to be. It is easy to send yourself into a helpless animation. It's not really something that you need to perfect.

Muro

Smash Lord
Angiance is correct- if you notice that the opponent shields the first hitbox of Fair, you must immediately drop pressure and back off. You'll land a safe distance away from the opponent if you do this.
As for Quick Attack Edge Canceling, or QAEC, I don't bother to attempt it at the edge of the stage, only on platforms due to how precise it needs to be. It is easy to send yourself into a helpless animation. It's not really something that you need to perfect.
Yeah I know it can be tricky, but wat is the trick though? Is it the distance from the edge? is it the angle of the quick attack? I can't isolate the deciding factor for when it works vs when it doesn't. Anyway I'll test a bit more when I get the chance.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Yeah I know it can be tricky, but wat is the trick though? Is it the distance from the edge? is it the angle of the quick attack? I can't isolate the deciding factor for when it works vs when it doesn't. Anyway I'll test a bit more when I get the chance.
It can be done successfully at any angle but 180 degrees (straight down). The distance has nothing to do with it. I don't recommend trying to perfect it and using it during matches. It'll probably end up backfiring often.

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
Hey guys,does someone has any tips for the fox Match up? I've been playing against one and I did'nt understood a **** x) he actually can jab cancel to Usmash and it seems to be legit,his Nair just ****ing break everything I try to do , and all in all i'm just a sandbag for him actually x)
Fox is a combo monster, but so is Pikachu. you can juggle him using up-tilt, f-air into a grab and extend your strings on him. If fox gets you in a combo, try to get out or disrupt him by using Nair or Dair (in to the ground).

This is only some general advice, since i'm not knowledgeable enough about the match-up to go in depth about it.

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
Fox is a combo monster, but so is Pikachu. you can juggle him using up-tilt, f-air into a grab and extend your strings on him. If fox gets you in a combo, try to get out or disrupt him by using Nair or Dair (in to the ground).

This is only some general advice, since i'm not knowledgeable enough about the match-up to go in depth about it.
The match-up is stupid easy. Vs Fox, you just space, spam B and nail grabs. That's literally it. If you nail enough grabs you can nail easy combos with neutral or forward or whatever the hell you want.

Vs. Heavy's you just gotta space and spam B.

Angiance

Smash Lord
that's what I thought. 5th hitbox is good on hit but it's terrible on shield. Any takers for the 2nd question?
(please quote me so it's easier to check for responses, thanks)
Try landing with a diagonally directed QA *on the ground area around the edge* and buffering an aerial or jump *as you touch that ground area*

Last edited:

CarbuncleHero

Smash Cadet
I've been thinking that SH rising airdodge might be a good approach option for pikachu. Unlike other characters, Pikachu has actual options out of SH airdodge. They are his nair, uair, bair, dair, and jump. They are all pretty quick to come out, and pretty safe if you airdodge behind an opponent.

Nair has horrible landing lag, so I wouldn't reccomend using it too often... but it is quick.

Uair has less lag. If you airdodge behind an opponent and uair you'll be pretty safe, barring a unlikely downsmash. Uair puts pika in a good position to follow up with an attack, it's actually the only one of these options that allows for a follow up attack.

Bair also has severe landing lag, but unlike nair it lasts a while, and flattens pikachu on the ground so you can't be grabbed by a lot of the cast. You can probably get three hits to connect with this move, but i prefer uair, as does similar damage for less risk and follow up.

Jump lets pikachu footstool the opponent. Pikachu can footstool >nair, in case you didn't know, and he can do so instantly out of airdodge. However, this sounds better on paper because although footstool guarantees a hit with nair, nair won't hit out of footstool if the opponent is in the middle of an action, and it puts pikachu in a pretty unfavorable position. It's actually not all that bad, and pikachu should have no trouble getting back to the floor. You can also opt to airdodge in a way where you don't footstool the opponent and hit with the rising nair instead, just you would need to watch out for an attack.

Dair... again lag. there's no reason to use this one. Don't.
Pika's specials aren't useful either, but heavy skull bash would work here.

The most useful ones are uair and jump> nair/footstool nair.
Obviously, shield beats all of these options, but there's more. Pikachu also doesn't get any landing lag out of a rising airdodge, so if you expect a shield you can airdodge behind the opponent and buffer turnaround grab, or any of pikas tilts to catch a spot dodge (you can even thunder if you're brave). It's not lightning quick, but it should catch your opponent off-guard. The hitbox for fair doesn't come out, but it hits the ground and autocancels faster than simply SH airdodging for some reason, you don't have to FF. So to shield, tilt, or turnaround grab faster, just use fair first.

If you mix this approach up with dash grabs and empty hops it should be pretty effective. The only problem I see is if the opponent rolls, but they can't punish you and empty hops and pokes should take care of that. It doesn't allow for much combos, so i was thinking this could be more useful at later percentages to get the opponent offstage

So is this a good approach? I rarely see this as an approach, so I'd like to know what it's flaws are.

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I've been thinking that SH rising airdodge might be a good approach option for pikachu. Unlike other characters, Pikachu has actual options out of SH airdodge. They are his nair, uair, bair, dair, and jump. They are all pretty quick to come out, and pretty safe if you airdodge behind an opponent.

Nair has horrible landing lag, so I wouldn't reccomend using it too often... but it is quick.

Uair has less lag. If you airdodge behind an opponent and uair you'll be pretty safe, barring a unlikely downsmash. Uair puts pika in a good position to follow up with an attack, it's actually the only one of these options that allows for a follow up attack.

Bair also has severe landing lag, but unlike nair it lasts a while, and flattens pikachu on the ground so you can't be grabbed by a lot of the cast. You can probably get three hits to connect with this move, but i prefer uair, as does similar damage for less risk and follow up.

Jump lets pikachu footstool the opponent. Pikachu can footstool >nair, in case you didn't know, and he can do so instantly out of airdodge. However, this sounds better on paper because although footstool guarantees a hit with nair, nair won't hit out of footstool if the opponent is in the middle of an action, and it puts pikachu in a pretty unfavorable position. It's actually not all that bad, and pikachu should have no trouble getting back to the floor. You can also opt to airdodge in a way where you don't footstool the opponent and hit with the rising nair instead, just you would need to watch out for an attack.

Dair... again lag. there's no reason to use this one. Don't.
Pika's specials aren't useful either, but heavy skull bash would work here.

The most useful ones are uair and jump> nair/footstool nair.
Obviously, shield beats all of these options, but there's more. Pikachu also doesn't get any landing lag out of a rising airdodge, so if you expect a shield you can airdodge behind the opponent and buffer turnaround grab, or any of pikas tilts to catch a spot dodge (you can even thunder if you're brave). It's not lightning quick, but it should catch your opponent off-guard. The hitbox for fair doesn't come out, but it hits the ground and autocancels faster than simply SH airdodging for some reason, you don't have to FF. So to shield, tilt, or turnaround grab faster, just use fair first.

If you mix this approach up with dash grabs and empty hops it should be pretty effective. The only problem I see is if the opponent rolls, but they can't punish you and empty hops and pokes should take care of that. It doesn't allow for much combos, so i was thinking this could be more useful at later percentages to get the opponent offstage

So is this a good approach? I rarely see this as an approach, so I'd like to know what it's flaws are.
It's decent for the occasional mix-up, sure. Air dodge is sluggish and not hard to react to. Also, you'll want to avoid air dodging into the ground and suffering that landing lag.
Is qac in this game? If not is there ways to utilize quick attack offensively?
QAC can be performed off a sloped surface and stage edges and platforms edges.

Last edited:

CarbuncleHero

Smash Cadet
It's decent for the occasional mix-up, sure. Air dodge is sluggish and not hard to react to. Also, you'll want to avoid air dodging into the ground and suffering that landing lag.
Thanks for the reply.
Are you sure that it's all that slow, however? Airdodging behind the opponent seems to be pretty safe, barring downsmash or something like mario's upsmash (and those moves tend to be very punishable and you can footstool over them).
Uair is incredibly quick, and footstool is a 1 frame action, i believe. Air dodging isn't so slow that these, or turnaround grab, won't connect, is it?
Also, you can't get any lagging lag at all if you do a rising airdodge because you can't FF during airdodge. You can FF autocancel fair afterward the animation to get to the ground quicker.
Since pikachu has quite a few options out of airdodge the opponent shouldn't be expecting how you'll act, especially if they throw out an attack or shield, which is what you want, and that leaves little time to react.

Angiance

Smash Lord
After Dtilt causes a trip, Dash Grab is pretty much the main thing, but there are other things

React to their get up roll behind behind you with Utilt

React to their get up attack with SH Dair, Dash Usmash, or anything you can think of really

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Hey guys! Captain Falcon main here. I have alot of trouble with the yellow thunder mouse. Any advice for the MU?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Thanks for the reply.
Are you sure that it's all that slow, however? Airdodging behind the opponent seems to be pretty safe, barring downsmash or something like mario's upsmash (and those moves tend to be very punishable and you can footstool over them).
Uair is incredibly quick, and footstool is a 1 frame action, i believe. Air dodging isn't so slow that these, or turnaround grab, won't connect, is it?
Also, you can't get any lagging lag at all if you do a rising airdodge because you can't FF during airdodge. You can FF autocancel fair afterward the animation to get to the ground quicker.
Since pikachu has quite a few options out of airdodge the opponent shouldn't be expecting how you'll act, especially if they throw out an attack or shield, which is what you want, and that leaves little time to react.
I'd be concerned about the down-smash punish and pivot grab. Even if you time the air dodge well so that there is no landing lag, the opponent has enough time to process your air dodge and meet it with a those attacks before you can take any action. If you get read then your uair and bair landing lag will give the opponent a pretty big opening. Also, when performing a rising air dodge behind the opponent you have barely any time to FF once the air dodge finishes so it's pretty much a moot point. Have you tried using this against friends?

Last edited:

CarbuncleHero

Smash Cadet
I'd be concerned about the down-smash punish and pivot grab. Even if you time the air dodge well so that there is no landing lag, the opponent has enough time to process your air dodge and meet it with a those attacks before you can take any action. If you get read then your uair and bair landing lag will give the opponent a pretty big opening. Also, when performing a rising air dodge behind the opponent you have barely any time to FF once the air dodge finishes so it's pretty much a moot point. Have you tried using this against friends?
No, i don't have any human players to test this on, that's why i asked here. It's quite impossible to do even the SH airdodge over FG lag as well, unfortunately :/.
You're right about the FF fair, it turns out my timing was just off with the grab.
Airdodge isn't too slow, and this is more to get through an opponent's attack safely, not to spam airdodge constantly. I'm fairly certain there aren't many downsmashes that hit faster than uair or nair (i actually don't even try to use bair), and baiting a downsmash is a good thing right? You can land far enough away from the opponent so that even a grab can't get you. If your opponent doesn't attack or shield you don't have to follow through with the airdodge, you can pull away, or footstool nair the opponent (the ones that it works on). I was experimenting more with it and, in addition to rising nair, you can do a rising uair (it hits tall characters and combos into nair). Also, once you touch the ground you can do anything.
I don't see airdodging into the opponent as not being in pika's favor. It's not like an attack, where you can get hit out of it, you have enough time to react to the opponent without the opponent being able to have the same if they don't predict it. The fact that pika can footstool out of most unforeseen attacks make's this even safer.
Have you tried this out yourself? If you do feel a need to try it out, please use it hand and hand with dashgrabs and SH aerials, and let me know how effective it is.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
No, i don't have any human players to test this on, that's why i asked here. It's quite impossible to do even the SH airdodge over FG lag as well, unfortunately :/.
You're right about the FF fair, it turns out my timing was just off with the grab.
Airdodge isn't too slow, and this is more to get through an opponent's attack safely, not to spam airdodge constantly. I'm fairly certain there aren't many downsmashes that hit faster than uair or nair (i actually don't even try to use bair), and baiting a downsmash is a good thing right? You can land far enough away from the opponent so that even a grab can't get you. If your opponent doesn't attack or shield you don't have to follow through with the airdodge, you can pull away, or footstool nair the opponent (the ones that it works on). I was experimenting more with it and, in addition to rising nair, you can do a rising uair (it hits tall characters and combos into nair). Also, once you touch the ground you can do anything.
I don't see airdodging into the opponent as not being in pika's favor. It's not like an attack, where you can get hit out of it, you have enough time to react to the opponent without the opponent being able to have the same if they don't predict it. The fact that pika can footstool out of most unforeseen attacks make's this even safer.
Have you tried this out yourself? If you do feel a need to try it out, please use it hand and hand with dashgrabs and SH aerials, and let me know how effective it is.
There are no down-smashes faster than Pikachu's uair or nair but I thought we're talking about air dodging followed by a uair or nair. If done out of a SH, that will produce landing lag and the air dodge itself will give a competent opponent enough time to process what's going on and respond with the down-smash unless they are in the middle of executing something else.
Now all of a sudden you're talking about approaching with a rising uair or nair without the air dodge? That's something that you should use as a mix-up, especially the nair at kill percents.
Make sure that when you air dodge behind an opponent you do it as they are approaching you or as a prediction to their attack. You can follow that up by turning around, closing the distance, and grabbing. Sometimes running straight through the opponent and using a reverse pivot grab works wonders too.

Last edited:

CarbuncleHero

Smash Cadet
There are no down-smashes faster than Pikachu's uair or nair but I thought we're talking about air dodging followed by a uair or nair. If done out of a SH, that will produce landing lag and the air dodge itself will give a competent opponent enough time to process what's going on and respond with the down-smash unless they are in the middle of executing something else.
Now all of a sudden you're talking about approaching with a rising uair or nair without the air dodge? That's something that you should use as a mix-up, especially the nair at kill percents.
Make sure that when you air dodge behind an opponent you do it as they are approaching you or as a prediction to their attack. You can follow that up by turning around, closing the distance, and grabbing. Sometimes running straight through the opponent and using a reverse pivot grab works wonders too.
Sorry, I meant both of those things out of the airdodge. You can hit with a rising uair/nair out of airdodge. And I meant for this to be used ONLY if you predict an attack or shield, if the opponent stalls their attack you can eat more than just a dsmash, i know that :S. I'm not entirely convinced that it is too slow, but i'll take your word for it until i can test it out for myself.
Thanks for the advice.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Sorry, I meant both of those things out of the airdodge. You can hit with a rising uair/nair out of airdodge. And I meant for this to be used ONLY if you predict an attack or shield, if the opponent stalls their attack you can eat more than just a dsmash, i know that :S. I'm not entirely convinced that it is too slow, but i'll take your word for it until i can test it out for myself.
Thanks for the advice.
I have not tested it either but it sounds like something situational and should not be a major part of your gameplay. It's good that you are being creative- that is how you be unpredictable and win games.

BellaLunaWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BellaLunaWolf
3DS FC
5026-4611-0782
I noticed my Lv. 50 Pikachu amiibo plays on the defensive. Well, it's good at evading attacks and punishing them. Should I strive to play in more of that style? How do you folks prefer to play Pika? Or does it depend on the matchup?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I noticed my Lv. 50 Pikachu amiibo plays on the defensive. Well, it's good at evading attacks and punishing them. Should I strive to play in more of that style? How do you folks prefer to play Pika? Or does it depend on the matchup?
Does your figure player rush in when the opponent's guard is down? How often does it punish mistakes and lag that you might not have punished? It's good to use your speed to move around the stage until you see an opening. Being too aggressive becomes predictable. That used to be my core problem in my early Brawl days. Also, does your figure player know how to keep the pressure when it gains momentum and stage control?

D

Deleted member

Happy New Year!

Time to go make my Pikachu amiibo a party hat irl

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Happy New Year!

CPUs in general don't tend to give a good representation at all of how a character is supposed to be played, so I wouldn't base anything in your playstyle on what amiibos do. I could be wrong about this (since this is based on my experience maining him in Brawl and my limited experience with him in Smash 4), but how he should be played seems to heavily depend on the match-up, moreso than most other characters. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Happy New Year!

CPUs in general don't tend to give a good representation at all of how a character is supposed to be played, so I wouldn't base anything in your playstyle on what amiibos do. I could be wrong about this (since this is based on my experience maining him in Brawl and my limited experience with him in Smash 4), but how he should be played seems to heavily depend on the match-up, moreso than most other characters. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Good point. I don't have an amiibo but I would like to know if amiibos adjust based on the opponent and their playstyle. I'm inclined to think amiibos play the same way every time once they are set.

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
About stages, what would you generally want to strike / pick? What about counterpicks?

I'm conflicted about stages, because I think that Pika is great on all of them. Because of QAEC is it better to pick BF / Lylat and avoid DF? I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong if I strike DF since this stage was so good for Pika in Brawl.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
About stages, what would you generally want to strike / pick? What about counterpicks?

I'm conflicted about stages, because I think that Pika is great on all of them. Because of QAEC is it better to pick BF / Lylat and avoid DF? I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong if I strike DF since this stage was so good for Pika in Brawl.
This is a good question. Pikachu fairs quite well on the neutrals, including FD, BF, and Lylat. What you strike or ban should come down to the opponent's character. For example, if you feel they do better with platforms than you, counterpick FD.

Last edited:

BellaLunaWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BellaLunaWolf
3DS FC
5026-4611-0782
Good point. I don't have an amiibo but I would like to know if amiibos adjust based on the opponent and their playstyle. I'm inclined to think amiibos play the same way every time once they are set.
I believe Nintendo said amiibo continue to learn and adapt even after they've hit max level. I'm no expert and amiibo specifics... I wonder if someone on Smashboards has done research on the extent of amiibo AI?

Top Bottom