• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu refining needed!

Kenrawr

Smash Master
Hi Pika boards. Just started maining Pikachu after finally getting discouraged from people chain grabbing my Wolf. Any advice or AT's I might be missing out on? I want my Pika to be an up to date one! If you have any information or constructive criticism I would greatly appreciate it.

K-9 (Pika) vs Korn (D3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LyW1Imb3cc

K-9 (Pika) vs Thumbswayup (Sonic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfjyqrakHk

K-9 (you should know by now) vs Thumbswayup (Sonic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6upw2F4zGA

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i must say i am impressed. i am having a hard time finding something to critique on. the big issue i see is that you may be a little too fast and aggressive. the DDD capitalised on it and beat you because of it. against those very defensive characters, sit back a little more and watch and wait. throw some tjolts, make them move. other then that very nice pika :) do you play online?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Umm, I can't give you much criticism, especially since your Pika > mine, but I wanted to post real quick and say that it was good to see other Pika mains at CoT4. I actually wanted to ask you for some friendlies after pools were done, but they were kicking people off TVs like crazy.

We should have some rematches one day. :) Also, I've learned my lesson on reflecting thunder with Zelda.... don't do it too late, lol.

(Btw, I haven't finished watching your vids, but the first kill on DDD in the first video was sexy. Sliding fsmash.... <3)

Kenrawr

Smash Master
Thanks stealth raptor I was kinda thinking the same thing. *beats it into my metagame*

Thanks Kaylo. It was a shame that we couldn't hog a T.V. and play Pika dittos all day =[ It was pretty fun.
And your Zelda was scary to approach lol.
We'll get to it the next time we meet at a tourney. All pikas are welcome ^^

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Yay, I'm no longer the only guy that uses Shiny Pikachu. :D

Also, I think you should use Up-Smash and F-Tilt more. Up Smash is a good kill move and combos well from the F-throws you like so much, and F-Tilt is a speedy substitute for F-Smash.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
Yeah I realized that over the weekend with the fthrow->usmash actually lol.

By the utilts do you mean as a finisher? I rarely use it as that. How's it's priority?

Edit: Ohhh you said ftilt, yeah I need to work it in more. What's shiny pika? ><

M15t3R E

Smash Master
First off, K9, it was great meeting so many Pikachu mains at Cot4. We will get in our dittos at some point I'm sure. :p

You have a Pikachu that is both aggressive and patient. You know how to segue between those playstyles flawlessly.
If there's one piece of constructive criticism that I can give you, it would be to make your game a fair bit more aerial-based. You could do with uair juggling more and u-tilting to begin a combo.
Overall excellent skill displayed in these videos. You don't let yourself be easily punished. I like that.

Perhaps we should team at future Chu's biweeklies? We VA Pikachus need to stick together. XD

Kenrawr

Smash Master
Yeah I use to do that at the start of brawl but then I stopped for some reason. And the match wasn't recorded but Korn kept ****ing grabbing me each time I tried to utilt lol.

I'll have to see if I can make it to a Chu biweekly, it's gonna be hard to get a ride now. Double pika would be annoying as hell so sure I'm up for it sometime.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Oh... just a thought... You may want to vary your recovery with skull bash (higher on the screen uncharged/lower under the stage fully charged if you still have 2nd jump) or try not using SB so much when recovering against opponents with killing aerials. Still had overall decent recoveries, and you did an exellent job staying on stage and keeping up your control of the matches.

Sincerely,
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, now slightly better than a fledgling smashboards'er

PS. COT4... wish i could've gone.... see mr. E again and everybody's for once. Anyone live in NC? Anyone available for giving rides? Thanks

K 2

Smash Lord
Hey K-9. I like your usename...its awesome =P

Match 1: DDD

First off, watch your skull bashing. Its really predicatable and you got punished three times with it against DDD. Its tempting to use it for a recovery, but double jump and QA will get you back to the stage almost every time. Use an uncharged skull bash if you are really high up, or a fully charged one to go under the stage to the other side. If you use it parallel to the stage, it can get intercepted easily, especially by characters with powerful/high priority aerials. Just be careful of when you use skullbash.

DDD's backthrow does 16%, the most damaging throw in the game. You got shieldgrabbed way too much. You can grabbed about 10 times (estimate) in that game * 13% per bthrow (account for move decay) = 130%, just from getting shield grabbed. I know its extremely hard to not get shieldgrabbed by DDD, since he has an absurdly long grab range, but there are two ways to avoid getting shield grabbed. You have to perfectly space a fair. If you fair and it hits his shield, try to use pikachu's great aerial mobility to back out of his grab range. You can also do a cross up fair, which is when you fair, but you go through DDD and land behind him. Be sure to DI up on DDD's dthrow. I think you should be able to jump out of it to avoid punishment, or at the very least, you will be able to tech the dthrow to avoid his followups.

You need to Chaingrab DDD more. Nice combo's.

Match 2: Sonic

Skull Bash again...

Nice thunder setup and kills. =)

I like your edge taunt thing.

More chaingrabbing.

Work on your edgeguarding. I'm not sure how comfortable you are offstage, but pikachu has many offstage options. If you timid offstage, just jump and shoot tjolts and edgehog. If your slightly more daring, multiple thunderwalls do really well. If you are really comfortable off stage, you should chase them down and either uair to steal their second jump or nair for the kill, then QA back.

Match 3: Sonic

Ah, better edgeguarding. That's what I like to see!

You almost got punished on the last stock while using Skull bash.

Work on your combos a bit. You pulled off some really sick combos on DDD, but I didn't see you combo sonic any.

Overall:

Use less skull bash and watch out for getting shield grabbed (especially against DDD). You need to chaingrab more, especially after your opponent respawns. CG's are a free 50-60% of damage. 50% * 3 stocks =150% total = 1 stock. CG's basically remove one complete stock from your opponent...good stuff. You need to edgeguard your opponent more. Do more combos.

I think that's it. I'm very impressed withi your pikachu. Good stuff K-9!

Tagxy

Smash Lord
needs moar uair. I think most ppl said everything else. nice job w/ spacing and grabs.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
LDPK: Yeah as soon as I get hit I have a bad habit of charging SB as soon as I DI =[ I'll break that soon hopefully. Thanks!

K 2: lol, We should encourage a pika army with tags starting with K+# :p Thanks for the recovery option tips. And yes I really do have to do more cross up fairs. I think that would make me so much more annoying. :)
I thought I would make many attempts at CG'ing the D3 but failed. I remember my mind just rabidly going "CG..CG..CG..." But I couldn't get it off =[ And Sonic can be CG'ed? Did not know that sir.
Awesome, you noticed my love for "teeter off the ledge" taunts :X Thanks for the compliments!

Tagxy: I'm going to incorporate more uairs for sure. That's one of my first priorities :3 Thanks!

Neji32: stealth, don't hate me xD Thanks you :D

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
I think we have enough clones on here.
Two stealth_____s, and two K#s. Next thing you know, Someones's going to make an "Anthis" account or something.

Also, I forgot about your skullbashing. You need to space it so that Pikachu crosses the gap between you and your opponent in such a way that their reaction time can't kick in fast enough, and they can't quickly run over and attack you while charging.

The trick is to vary how much you charge it. At about halfway, it does a little more damage than Thunder 2 and KOs earlier than all of his uncharged smashes. Keep in mind that the moment you let go of B, Pikachu is GONE. Anyone in his way gets a nasty dose of Pikaface. Just don't charge it too much. You can easily KO yourself off the side of some stages when it's fully-charged.

Also, Shiny Pikachu is "Red" Pikachu. Go on serebii and look at the sprites for him if you don't believe me.

Khanxay

Smash Cadet
Next thing you know, Someones's going to make an "Anthis" account or something.
Or maybe an "Anthar" ...

Great Pikachu K-9. I loved it when you Nair-ed over a grounded oppenent and then turned around and Forward-smashed.

Hmm... all I can really say keep playing as you've got just about most everything down.

ClobberinTime

Smash Rookie
Muhznit-it's all about the Red Hat/"Shiny" Pika. I've been playing that one since Melee since it is clearly the coolest Pika.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
False.

Pilot > Ninja > Naked > Shiny. Just accept it. ;)

On-topic: If you switch to goggles, your Pika skill will increase exponentially. No lies.

K 2

Smash Lord
False.

Pilot > Ninja > Naked > Shiny. Just accept it. ;)

On-topic: If you switch to goggles, your Pika skill will increase exponentially. No lies.
That is the best piece of advice ever given to a pika player. EVER.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
sigh. as much as i really want to comment, all i can say is that the truly enlightened dont need to be told which color is right. either they know, use it and win, or they falsly think its something else and suck. :)

Kenrawr

Smash Master
I always called ShinyChu, TannedChu :X

KLo we've been over this. Red/Tanned/Shiny Pika wins. *facepalm*

*remembers back to last Sunday* :3

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Shiny Pikachu is the last of the Wizardchus. Ganondorf hunted down all the others to eat them and fuel his Dair. Shiny Pikachu doesn't wear the hat because he knows that'll give him away. Instead, he wears an enchanted trucker hat. Have you ever noticed that no matter what Pikachu goes through, the trucker hat ALWAYS stays on? That hat's magical, man. Shiny Pikachu is magical. Where do you think the sparkles in the games come from?

Kenrawr

Smash Master
I'd almost believe that if you hadn't said someone as terrible as Ganondorf. Even Narutochu can take on Ganondorf :p

btw, your sig is ****.

Zylar

Smash Ace
Alot of SBs. People have already spoken on this matter.
Excelent use of thunder.

Shiny Pikachu is the last of the Wizardchus. Ganondorf hunted down all the others to eat them and fuel his Dair. Shiny Pikachu doesn't wear the hat because he knows that'll give him away. Instead, he wears an enchanted trucker hat. Have you ever noticed that no matter what Pikachu goes through, the trucker hat ALWAYS stays on? That hat's magical, man. Shiny Pikachu is magical. Where do you think the sparkles in the games come from?
OMGSH, I think you've revealed something profound. If shiek isn't zelda, and shiny pika has the exact same storyline as Zelda, then we can safely say that shiny pikachu is actually zelda, and that shiek is some really messed up dude posing as Zelda hiding.

That and Shiek's true form is ninja pika!!! *GASP* But this cannot mean that goggles pika is ganon in desguise!?!?!?

*rocks himself in corner*

Kenrawr

Smash Master
I was ready for such posts when I decided to main Pika... I just hope I can maintain my sanity.

You all are crazy lol.

neji32

Smash Lord
k9 do you live anywhere near newportnews virgina? i visit there sometimes and i will probably go there this summer. Think you could show me a tourny?

Kenrawr

Smash Master
neji: When in the summer are you traveling? There are always tournaments here in VA. You may have to do some traveling though (few hours) from Newportnews since it's a little out of the way. I'm sure there may be some players nearby if you would need carpooling though.

stealth: Where's that pikachu loving?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Don't listen to Stealth, he's a little confused. He's been breathing that farm country air a little too long..... :(

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Ah-ha. Kansas and their forced creationism in schools laws. They caused the creation of Pastafarianism, y'know. Texas doesn't get ***** by ANY state... except Alaska... but Alaska's the size of an XBOX anyways and way up north. No one really cares.

And thanks for commenting on my sig. No one seems to really care that it's an animated .png, though..

Top Bottom