• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Pikachu scar) sort of AT

bowz

Smash Journeyman
I really don't use pikachu, but i was just messing around with him and something happend.

I was on Final Destination's ledge. I did the tap down into jump off. I went to qac once i got above the ledge and ended up going below, then BACK onto the stage THROUGH it.
It was like when Wolf does his over b through stages.

If this is common knowledge to pikachu users, i appologize. It just made my jaw drop a bit when i did it.

Here's the video of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Tx8qyJaBw

Binkachu

Smash Rookie
ive never expirenced that as a pika user but i havnt played ssb as long as most on here. im interested in knowing if this is a common

K 2

Smash Lord
I've never done this, but if its possible, thats another plus for pika. Can someone try to recreate this and post a video? I have my doubts, but I'm open-minded if this is a new "AT"

Emotional_Outlet

Smash Rookie
I`ve never seen it done, but showing a video of doing it would provide much more helping then just explaining. I`ve never done it before, though.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
i would, but it was over three minutes into a match.

I'll try to recreate it and record it on my gamebridge.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
K just did it.
Got it on replay. Once i get it recorded and upload it on youtube i'll post it on here.
Gonna try to get it a few more times. It's actually pretty difficult, plus my hands are cold. xD

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Sure, no problem. Like I said, it's basically you'll kill yourself too much unless you master it.

I also don't know what stages it can be done at. I'll test that another day or have you guys do it once you see what it is.

BTW, it's uploading as we speak. not sure how long it will be, expect it tomorrow.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Let's hope it becomes useful.

This might mean I might need to make pikachu more than my like...6th. xD

M15t3R E

Smash Master
o.O nice find!

I'll try to master it~ it seems pretty useful

mind if I add this to my useful techniques thread?
Hold off on that Spark, until we know for certain how to pull it off. I keep failing to recreate it. Can anyone else seem to perform this?
Better yet, someone post here if they can get this to work regularly.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Hold off on that Spark, until we know for certain how to pull it off. I keep failing to recreate it. Can anyone else seem to perform this?
It isn't easy, like I said. It's perfect timing and direction.

In the vid, pika quick attacks downwards with a slight angle, ending up pretty far over, under the stage, past the lip sort of. Then you go straight up or close to it.

I'm surprised I got it that fast.

Veng

Smash Ace
So if its actually about timing and perfect angle whats the use? you kill your self and lose 500 tourneys then you win the 501st one because it works?

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Well this is a pretty neat trick. It's really hard to do, but in about a half hour of practice I've managed to pull it off a couple times. I'm not really good with ATs, so I figure if I can pull it off a couple times after a little practice, there may be a few technical players able to do it consistently after devoting a lot of time to it.

Now I may just be stating the obvious here, but after watching the video it looks like Pikachu first goes through the stage right at the ledge, meaning you're already inside the stage for the second part of the attack. If that's the case it's all about hitting the first part correctly, then you should be able to use the second part to travel any direction throught the stage, allowing you to choose where you come up. My guess is that it's a glitch involving ledge sweetspotting of some sort.

EDIT: Well, about another half hour of practice and I was able to pull it off a few more times (3 times in a row is my record). Also, I am now sure that the second half of the quick attack doesn't matter and can be in any direction as long as the first part is done right, which just gives you more options of where to recover.

Zylar

Smash Ace
Flandy, AT means Advanced Technique.

Has anyone considered the possibility of not doing the second part of the QA at all?
I can't test this out for myself (STUPID TEST!) but, I really want to know what happens if you don't do the second QA. Does pika just bounce off? Or does pika stay inside the platform. (Now THAT would be just TOO good, but how'd you get out?) Or would pika just fall down to his doom even though he's technically inside the platform.

Judging from the sounds of things, this technique is possible, learnable, but unpractical. I've yet to hear a real use for it, other than mindgames, even though people keep suggesting that it is very useful. How? (I'm also wondering if and how punishable this could be.)

And is the name really Pikachu scar? Why scar?

bowz

Smash Journeyman
And is the name really Pikachu scar? Why scar?
The reason I said scar is because that's what they call wolf's thing when he over b's directly through the stage.

Uses could be many things, somebody charging a smash attack waiting on a roll, you do that into a down smash, or any other things that open as people try this and test it out more.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
From my judgement of thte video, I'm afraid iy may be an FD-exclisive AT. There's a narrow gap in the stage's platform that it looks like Pikachu QA'd into, then onto the stage. It's likely to be faulty collision detection on the programmers' part.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Yea, i tested a little bit on other stages, but I think it's hopeless. Then again I'm not sure if you have to do it a different way and I still don't know how to do it well.

K 2

Smash Lord
WOW! That's AWESOME! I have got to learn this! That's way too sexy! Great find! This could prove to be really useful, especially for mindgames =)

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Try just doing the first QA and see what happens.
Tried but got nothing. Plus, it's not like I can tell if I'm ACTUALLY doing it or not without going back to the stage. So yea, not sure if this is possible or not.

Although, I did try to just up b through the stage instead of going of the ledge. In other words, finding the sweet spot with just the first part of the QA, but also got nothing. That's making it seem like the first half of the QA has to ride the edge of the stage, then enter under, then follow through above.

Peregrinus Falconidae

Smash Journeyman
It's a great discovery, I was thinking there would probably be some tricks with Pika's QA, so now a new section to add to my psychology guide, I'll add your video and you in the credits section, but could you please write some specific instuctions on how to do it? As it is relatively new I couldn't just write it in and expect people to know what it is, unlike when I write about things such as QAC.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Now, imagine if someone can master ending it so that Pikachu ends up the same distance above the stage how he would be after a QAC, which may allow another QAC to be used immediately after...

Can we say broken mindgames and an unbeatable method of getting back on the stage?

Zylar

Smash Ace
Tried but got nothing. Plus, it's not like I can tell if I'm ACTUALLY doing it or not without going back to the stage. So yea, not sure if this is possible or not.

Although, I did try to just up b through the stage instead of going of the ledge. In other words, finding the sweet spot with just the first part of the QA, but also got nothing. That's making it seem like the first half of the QA has to ride the edge of the stage, then enter under, then follow through above.
Okay, how about this, do the first part or the QA and then in the second QA go down (Stupid I know) or left/ right(Towards the inards of the state.) Lets see how limited this scar is!

bowz

Smash Journeyman
It's a great discovery, I was thinking there would probably be some tricks with Pika's QA, so now a new section to add to my psychology guide, I'll add your video and you in the credits section, but could you please write some specific instuctions on how to do it? As it is relatively new I couldn't just write it in and expect people to know what it is, unlike when I write about things such as QAC.
Well, the instructions are still quite difficult to explain, seeing as I'm still not 100% on how I do it or why it happens. But it's basically this.

Press down to drop off of the ledge. Jump and I think you have to go away from the ledge a little bit. Up b down and towards the stage, staying under the ledge. Don't go straight down or completely horizontal. It should look like you've already began to go inside the stage itself. Then go up on the second part of the QA. The angles on that are still uncertain.

There is still testing to be done. I don't know the limitations or how much more it can do.

Top Bottom