• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Set Ups

Felth

Smash Apprentice
This post is pretended to be a compilation and discussion of Set Ups that Pikachu has. I think that this is a very important point in the Theory, it's not enough with using some attack because most of then can be avoided.

If you know good Set Ups please comment here. If it's possible add a video. I'll put some of them to start. I'll be putting your contributions in this first post with your corresponding name. There are hiperlinks to the corresponding video in the name of each Set Up, I invite you to click on it.

List of Set Ups:

• Fair into Jab to Jab Lock: Fair is not necesary for this Set Up. In some situations you can use your Jab directly but you need to be very close to your oponent. One typical situation is when both players are in the same platform. If the opponent does a spot dodge then you can use your Jab to punish if done correctly the opponent will be locked. Video made by Esam.
  • Dtilt to Jab Lock: As Esam said, this requires the opponent to be in high percent. Around 85-90% recall that the percentage is Character dependant. Video made by Esam.
  • Second QAC into Thunder: In the video, the combo was performed using the Ledge QA Cancel. The only requirement for this combo is to QAC, you can use it on special floor of Halberd and Dreamland also in any slant. Video made by Esam.

Last edited:

Felth

Smash Apprentice
I think that this combo is Smash DI dependant. Anyway It looks very cool!!

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I think that this combo is Smash DI dependant. Anyway It looks very cool!!
No, Fox and some other fast fallers are susceptible to u-tilt juggles and cannot break out. For Fox, you can juggle him this way to about 40%, Falco and CF to a lesser % which means against them it's even more useful to follow up your u-tilts with something else than it is against Fox.

Felth

Smash Apprentice
No, Fox and some other fast fallers are susceptible to u-tilt juggles and cannot break out. For Fox, you can juggle him this way to about 40%, Falco and CF to a lesser % which means against them it's even more useful to follow up your u-tilts with something else than it is against Fox.
M15t3R E: I'm looking for a set up to get easily an Up-Smash, in general if my oponent is good at spacing it's very difficult to connect this move. But a Fair it's easier, that's why I'm trying to figure out if it can be performed as a true combo in some kill percentages. Thanks =)

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
M15t3R E: I'm looking for a set up to get easily an Up-Smash, in general if my oponent is good at spacing it's very difficult to connect this move. But a Fair it's easier, that's why I'm trying to figure out if it can be performed as a true combo in some kill percentages. Thanks =)
A good setup for upsmash that i use commonly is dtilt around 75-100%. At these percentages, dtilt knocks the opponent over. It also sends them at an angle close to the ground (especially if they DI down for some reason). You can chase after them and upsmash if they miss the tech. You can also react or read their tech option and upsmash that if you are fast enough. This especially works great on fast fallers like fox and sheik as they will spend less time in the air, reducing the window of time they have to react and tech.

As for other ways to land upsmash, I suggest upsmashing out of shield. Since upsmash can be done directly out of shield without incurring lag from dropping your shield, it is a very good punish for when your opponent hits your shield with something that isn't very safe. If you have tap jump on, just hit up + A while shielding. You can also hit up, then immediately hit up on the c-stick (if your c-stick is set to smash). If tap jump is off, you must input a jump, then quickly input an upsmash immediately after the jump, while shielding.

Keep in mind that Pikachu has many other ways to kill and shouldn't be heavily relying on upsmash for most of his kills.

Felth

Smash Apprentice
A good setup for upsmash that i use commonly is dtilt around 75-100%. At these percentages, dtilt knocks the opponent over. It also sends them at an angle close to the ground (especially if they DI down for some reason). You can chase after them and upsmash if they miss the tech. You can also react or read their tech option and upsmash that if you are fast enough. This especially works great on fast fallers like fox and sheik as they will spend less time in the air, reducing the window of time they have to react and tech.

As for other ways to land upsmash, I suggest upsmashing out of shield. Since upsmash can be done directly out of shield without incurring lag from dropping your shield, it is a very good punish for when your opponent hits your shield with something that isn't very safe. If you have tap jump on, just hit up + A while shielding. You can also hit up, then immediately hit up on the c-stick (if your c-stick is set to smash). If tap jump is off, you must input a jump, then quickly input an upsmash immediately after the jump, while shielding.

Keep in mind that Pikachu has many other ways to kill and shouldn't be heavily relying on upsmash for most of his kills.
phili: Actually my main problem with Pikachu is to get the kill. Sometimes I have absolutely advantage in the entire match but then the opponent beats me because of that lackness.

My main tool to kill:

• Up Smash: Generally punishing a mistake.
  • F-Smash: It's an option but very wear because it's too slow and it needs a read or a mistake from the opponent.
  • Up throw into Down B: This is a good option but in general the opponent dodge my attack even when I read the DI. I'm not sure if this attack is a 1/3 kill confirm (depending if we read the DI or not). I know there is a thread but nothing is confirmed about this technique using the RAR into down B.
  • Edgeguard: using down B out of the stage or aerial attacks.
  • Dash Attack in high percents (around +160%).
  • Almost everything over 180%.

That's why I'm looking for new opportunities to get an Up Smash. I also would like to study the Up throw into Down B kill using the RAR, but I'm not sure how to practice it.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Also nair can kill near the ledge around 120+ if you have rage. Since it comes out on frame 3, you can use it out of shield to punish smaller mistakes by the opponent and land a kill.

Another thing you can do with fsmash to land kills is to bait an approach by doing a SH autocancel dair or fair, then fading away and fsmashing as soon as you land. This works great on rush down characters who will often try to punish you for whiffing attacks or hitting their shield. Be careful though, because you can be punished if the opponent doesn't fall for the bait. I find it works very well on players who don't have a ton of experience fighting pika, and may not know that dair autocancels

And as Pikabunz Pikabunz just mentioned, up throw to down b is guaranteed at kill percents if you can react to the opponents DI fast enough. You can find a video I made on this by clicking here

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Another one every pika should utilize is bair offstage. Try and bait a reaction then hit with its high active frames! They will launch directly away from pikachu's center. So, to launch them offstage further, try and hit from inside, and drift towards the stage as it hits. The less it hits the better, strictly referring to DI determining their launch.

Shram

Smash Cadet
Dthrow to thunder true combos, as long as the opponent DI's behind pikachu.

Best done if pikachu is closer inside the stage than the opponent, since DI'ing inwards is pretty common when they might expect uthrow thunder instead.

Top Bottom