• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu vs. Samus

Mad3711

Smash Rookie
Yeah, wassup?
Sometimes on fridays we break out the N64 at my friends house and play some classics. For the past couple of weeks I've been getting my *** kicked by Samus. I used to be unstoppable with Pikachu, but PS2 and X-Box have messed up my N64 gameplay.

Also, my friend likes to ***** and get me to play him on Zebes. Any specific Pikachu vs Samus tips you can give me? He relies on the up+b screw attack and spams down+b bombs to prevent any air combos, which sucks especially on Zebes where I'm at a disadvantage. I need tips that are applicable to the N64 version, not PJ64k. He charges up his blast a lot too, but rolls away before I can take advantage of this.

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you're opponent's spamming the up B screw attack, you need to learn to DI out of it. If you do, you can attack Samus before she recovers from it.

If you do the aerial attacks correctly, it should combo, so I guess you just need to work on your timing for that, or just not try and do long combos.

Thino

Smash Master
bombs shouldnt be a problem for air combos as they fall on the ground , try to fake him out so he at least messes up one of his screw attacks , they you could proceed to some fair ,grab , utilt etc.... spams =D

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Also, a tip against Samus as Pika, she's very easy to edgeguard. Just hit or throw her off the stage, and when she is coming back, doing her little bomb thing, jump off the edge, wait until just after she does her down-b, then do an up-air on her to knock her back. You can also use n-air and b-air, but up-air is the fastest and safest.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Also, a tip against Samus as Pika, she's very easy to edgeguard. Just hit or throw her off the stage, and when she is coming back, doing her little bomb thing, jump off the edge, wait until just after she does her down-b, then do an up-air on her to knock her back. You can also use n-air and b-air, but up-air is the fastest and safest.
or an f-smash if she tries to grab the edge.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
If he keeps rolling away after the charging, mindgame him into thinking you're about to attack. React fast enough to the direction he rolled to and attack. Like the others said, Easy to get off, easy to keep her off. and practice crazy smash DI to get out of the screw attack. Its not too hard.

felix45

Smash Lord
sounds like he plays very defensivley. you can always spam neutral b and make him come to you.

oh and if you can get him to roll, samus's roll is the most predictable in the game because it lasts so long, is extremely slow, and overall is so incredibly ****ty. seeing as you are pika try to get him to roll with neutral b then predict where he rolls and do a usmash or fsmash (or grab whatever)

your friend sounds....very noob. oh and like everyone else said DI out of the up b. I'm not sure you know how to DI but I'll tell you the only way to DI in smash 64 is smash DI (by smashing the control stick over and over in one direction)

PikashoX

Smash Apprentice
wtf spams up-b and bombs with samus? shouldnt he spam that crazi powerful back kick?

but umm....try using pikachus tail...in every way possible...up-tilts...up-smashes...up-airs...etc.

ooh and use his feet a lot....back kick....sex kick...etc.

and his forward smash works pretty well for edgeguarding samus

whaahppnd

Smash Journeyman
but umm....try using pikachus tail...in every way possible...up-tilts...up-smashes...up-airs...etc.

ooh and use his feet a lot....back kick....sex kick...etc.
you basically just said use all his aerials lol...:psycho:

PikashoX

Smash Apprentice
yeah i was trying to subtly say that pikachu owns samus...period lol.

btw i didnt include ALL of his aerials...i'm missing jump-lightning.

CyrusTheGreat

Smash Cadet
If you're opponent's spamming the up B screw attack, you need to learn to DI out of it. If you do, you can attack Samus before she recovers from it.

If you do the aerial attacks correctly, it should combo, so I guess you just need to work on your timing for that, or just not try and do long combos.

DI out of the Screw attack or up+B? Someone else explains to DI down but I think he was talking about the screw attack. How do you DI out of his up+B?

PikashoX

Smash Apprentice
correct me if i'm wrong...but the samus up-b move is called the screw attack...

Dave_Uk

Smash Apprentice
A year or two back I used to play all the time with a mate who mained samus and I main pikachu. The best things I found were:

a) Don't get directly above samus...as you've found, the screw attack gets really annoying. Best thing to do is jump about as if ur gonna go above them but pull back and quick fall just as you manage to get them to go into it. That way you don't get caught in it and when they finish the move they can't do anything until the touch the ground so your free to usmash/tilt into combos or whatever you want.

b) Abuse Samus' ****e recovery. Its very predictable as its very horizontal, with the bombs n all that so once you got them off the ledge jump out and give em a kick to the balls or whatever or stay above them and trick them into upB'ing too early thus basically makin them suicide. Or get good with the pikachu white electric ball neutral B move. Getting them with one of those usually does the trick. Or again still, due to the very horizontal recovery, samus is very easy to Fsmash.

c) Abuse samus' slow grab. Very easy to see coming if your paying attention. Just dash out and dash back in for a grab.

d) When your recovering, be as unpredictable with your double dash attack as possible. Everytime you use it to recover change the path you take and in most circumstances try to stay as high as possible when nearing the ledge to avoid being spiked.

Can't think of anything else right now but hope it helps.

Mad3711

Smash Rookie
Bah, I forgot to try the DI but I just played my friend and lost again. He uses screw attack whenever I try to fair or dair him, and whenever he jumps above me (quick enough so I can't use thunder) he spams bombs and if I move to the side a bit he uses fair?(flamethrower) . I can do some pretty good combos when I get in close sometimes, but I can never get close enough to the fights. He's really a noob and insists that heavy characters are awesome (his second or third is DK) and that Pikachu is worthless. I really want to make him feel stupid but idk what to do. He doesn't rely on throws much; he just charges, then spams u+b and d+b the entire time, mixed in with the odd f+smash. It's driving me crazy...

Dave_Uk

Smash Apprentice
You just gotta b quick and use pikachu's agility to your advantage. If he's spamming bombs dash out and quickly just back in with an air attack before he has a chance to do anything. If he just keeps dashing at you, do a shorthop just before he reaches you to trick him into screw attacking, then wait for him to fall and Usmash/tilt or grab Just don't give him the opportunity to spam, keep attacking, don't play too defensivly, keep him on the defense and take every chance you can to get in a good combo or throw....as I said before you want to keep samus off the ledge as that is where your at the biggest advantage. He sounds like an extremely predictable player so you just gotta play mind games with him to catch him out.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Then stand back and spam your B. Make him come to you. That's what projectiles are for.
And if it's a true combo, he shouldn't be able to attack between your attacks.

PikashoX

Smash Apprentice
from what you described...you need to work on mindgames and DI

since your friend plays exactly like a computer...i recommend practicing against a level 8-9 computer first and try to at least 4 stock it out of 5 stocks

what works best in my opinion is to jump...move your stick back to avoid the attack and while still in the air...use pika's forward shock...then follow up with grab assuming he doesn't DI

whaahppnd

Smash Journeyman
when you start losing you get frustrated and lose even worse the more you play him

happened to me when i played ppl like metroid, dreday
so try to not let losing get to your head and play smart, not fast

Top Bottom