• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikmin 3: What I think [Unfinished]

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
"I certainly don't think we've seen the last of Pikmin," he said. "I definitely would like to do something with them, and I think the Wii interface in particular is very well suited to that franchise." *Shigeru Miyamoto*

Welcome to the Pikmin series: Small, multi-colored creatures with an insatiable curiosity and an unconditional loyalty towards our hero, Captain Olimar.
Pikmin are social creatures, seemingly interacting with other Pikmin of all colors if left alone and naturally form groups within their own color, but cooperate readily with Pikmin of another color. If allowed to separate into groups during periods of inactivity, they separate along color lines, but do not object to being placed all together.
Pikmin live in special pods which Olimar names Onions, since they bear a passing resemblance to the earthly vegetable. Each Onion is color specific, and Pikmin are never seen entering an Onion of a color different from their own.
Pikmin reproduce by bringing colored pellets or the carcasses of defeated enemies to their Onion. The Onion then absorbs the object, takes the nutrients for seeds, and produces seeds, from which new Pikmin sprout. Onions only produce seeds that match their own color, and the number of seeds produced is dependent on the object being converted. If 100 Pikmin are in the field, the seeds will be stored internally, where they will mature to the basic leaf Pikmin.
In the original Pikmin, there are three types of Pikmin; red Pikmin, who are better in combat and can withstand extreme heat; yellow Pikmin, who can be thrown higher and can carry bomb-rocks; and blue Pikmin, which have gills and can walk in water without drowning. However, in Pikmin 2, yellow Pikmin can no longer throw bomb-rocks, as the bomb-rocks are much larger now, and instead gain the ability to withstand electricity.
In the Pikmin 2, three new species of Pikmin were introduced. The first are white Pikmin, who, when ingested by enemies, deliver a fatal poison to the enemy. Additionally, the white Pikmin are immune to poison, can locate buried treasure with their special eyes, and can run faster than other Pikmin. The second species introduced are the purple Pikmin, who move slower than normal Pikmin, but have ten times the strength and weight of other Pikmin, giving them the ability to pick up much heavier objects and attack and destroy obstacles and other enemies with fewer numbers. The third is a kind of parasitic Pikmin called Bulbmin, Bulborbs that have been infected by Pikmin, that follow Olimar after their leader is killed. They are immune to everything, and will not leave the caves with Olimar.
The adventures of the games take place on a planet that is not given a name, but is presumably Earth. Garbage and other human waste is strewn throughout the areas in the games, and in Pikmin 2 many of these objects are brand name products (such as Duracell batteries and old 7-Up bottlecaps) to heighten the connection. The landscapes are said to be inspired by gardens belonging to the developer of the games, Shigeru Miyamoto. Further evidence is found in the first Pikmin game in one of Olimar's Journal Entries, stating "the creatures of this planet breathe a deadly poison: oxygen". Hence, in Pikmin, Olimar has 30 days to collect his 30 spaceship parts.

Pikmin 3
To be truthful, I can see why Nintendo hasn’t released Pikmin 3 yet…It’s extremely difficult to think of another scenario for Pikmin 3, plus follow up 2 brilliant games with twice the innovation.
Here’s what I think on the scenario:
Scenario: Deep space minerals are very important to Hocotate: They are the pillar that supports the global economy, and without it Hocotate would be plunged into utter chaos. The global community is concerned, as the deep space minerals are increasingly harder to find.
The Hocotate Freight Company decides, to act, by sending Olimar on another mission to chart and find new worlds where deep space minerals can be located shipped back to Hocotate.
Now here’s what I think should come into Pikmin 3.

Opening Cutscene/Insight of Hocotate: I'd really love to see more of Hocotate: We have hardly seen anything of Olimar's home planet. I'd really like to see his home and his family.

New Sub-characters? Return of Louie and Shyacho? Probably not for Louie, since he gets into all sorts of trouble (with respect). Olimar's son pairing up with his father? A brilliant duo, if you ask me.

Cooperation Mode? Honestly, I get slightly tired of pressing Y all the time. If there was a co-op mode, where 2 players tackle one day, one level...THAT WOULD BE TOTALLY AWESOME!

New Pikmin? Highly anticipated by Pikmin Fans: We would love to see new Pikmin! Yet another difficult task to find another ‘appropriate colour’, I strongly believe that Bulbmin should be further developed.

Pikmin genders? As discussed by Mewter, could they inherit different traits and abilites? Who knows.

New Treausres? That'll be for sure...there are more than plenty of household treasure which could be included.

Enemies! There are already countless enemies in Pikmin and Pikmin 2, but how about a bit more on the bugs? More cockcroaches, ladybugs, bees, praying mantis, grasshoppers, crickets and maybe a bird! BOSS FOR SURE

Worlds? That’s definitely very interesting…What if Olimar could travel between worlds?
Urban Areas? This will introduce plenty of variables and if Miyamoto is doing this he’ll need to pull this one off really well. I definitely believe he can. Introduce Olimar to a house, and that could be a world itself. Crossing roads would certainly be fun, maybe hide under a cone and cross at certain times? But that would lead to a big problem, as human encounter would be inevitable.
Weather and Seasons! Here’s what I think…

Summer: A super, bright day! Sunset may be slightly longer.
Spring: The day where plants grow. Pellets and the like should reproduce x 2.
Autumn: Falling leaves…I’m not sure about this one…visually appealing?
Winter: Snow, snow, snow. Occasional snowstorms occur, hindering progress slightly (I would assume barely noticeable) and allowing access to previous areas which could not be accessed before (Snow=Mounds=Walk up=New Area).

Rain: It...rains. Various puddles occur in places, and maybe the rain might end the day, who knows? To counter this there should be some environmental gauge to indicate when it is raining or not.
NIGHT!: :D I am aware that Pikmin get eaten at night, BUT BOY ITS GOING TO BE SO FUN AT NIGHT! TWICE THE CREATURES! Exploring at night would be so fun, but how do you end a day in that case? What happens to idle Pikmin? Hmmm…
Sub-Environments: Nintendo did a great job of introducing caves, and they should introduce more of these interesting sub-environments to Pikmin 3. Maybe through a crack in the wall, treetops, A long, dark log, a small pond, and an underwater kingdom? Gee doesn’t this get interesting.

Credits to Mewter and 47drift especially, for inspiring me with his Ai no Uta YouTube Video and the Captain Olimar Logbook Entries

[Will add more, ideas would be great]
[Once I've got sufficient ideas down, then I'll tidy it up gramatically :D]

Mewter

Smash Master
Wow, that sounds like a great idea! Pikmin 3! I would actually like to see Olimar traveling through the dangerous environment of a house:laugh: or duking it out with a tadpole at a pond... This would make a cool game:)

Mewter

Smash Master
You wanted ideas, right? Well I've got some. Ok, let's see...

Maybe they could add a part to the story where Olimar actually has to face himself... in a weird way. What if it's made of... mimicry pikmin! Yeah, that's right. Pikmin that(when under your control and after beating the other olimar, of course) can turn into miniversions of what they're attacking! So maybe... if they attack a king bulborb, they should turn into little bulborbs.

Also, maybe they could add some new enemies to the ame.(Maybe treasure that attacks you) or maybe, you could go underwater with your pikmin to explore!(and then olimar would have a journal entry labeled"Day59:I have encountered a rather curious type of aquatic grass..." or something like that.

And maybe(Wow, I'm like a broken record)You could use the wii remote and numchuck to throw and call back pikmin! A thrust forward with the remote indicates that you want to throw a pikmin, and a circular motion above yourhead indicates that you want to recall pikmin! They can do all sorts of stuff in pikmin with the wiimote ad numchucks!

And finally(don't forget the maybe!), they can make it so that in a house, you can use human activity or (household) items to your advantage, combat fleas and ticks on a dock, and more!

MAYBE you'll get swallowed up by a gigantic frog and have to travel through it(kinda gross) and Olimar will write about his"Peculiar journey through the abominable creature"

Anyways, these are just my ideas. I hope you like them!:)

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
You wanted ideas, right? Well I've got some. Ok, let's see...

Maybe they could add a part to the story where Olimar actually has to face himself... in a weird way. What if it's amd of... mimicry pikmin! Yeah, that's right. Pikmin that(when under your control and after beating the other olimar, of course) can turn into miniversions of what they're attacking! So maybe... if they attack a king bulborb, they should turn into little bulborbs.

Also, maybe they could add some new enemies to the ame.(Maybe treasure that attacks you) or maybe, you could go underwater with your pikmin to explore!(and then olimar would have a journal entry labeled"Day59:I have encountered a rather curious type of aquatic grass..." or something like that.

And maybe(Wow, I'm like a broken record)You could use the wii remote and numchuck to throw and call back pikmin! A thrust forward with the remote indicates that you want to throw a pikmin, and a circular motion above yourhead indicates that you want to recall pikmin! They can do all sorts of stuff in pikmin with the wiimote ad numchucks!

And finally(don't forget the maybe!), they can make it so that in a house, you can use human activity or (household) items to your advantage, combat fleas and ticks on a dock, and more!

MAYBE you'll get swallowed up by a gigantic frog and have to travel through it(kinda gross) and Olimar will write about his"Peculiar journey through the abominable creature"

Anyways, these are just my ideas. I hope you like them!:)
Thanks a lot Mewter! I find your information very useful and when I incorporate them in my Pikmin 3 I'll be sure to quote you!

Mewter

Smash Master
Lol, Falcon Pikmin! Yeah Olinar's all like" OK, up you go, Falcon Pikmin!" and the pikmin's all like, "No way! I'm C. Falcon Pikmin! I'm the manliest Pikmin to come around since Alexander the Great pikmin!" and Olimar's all like,"Whatever you say, buddy," and chucks him somewhere far, FAR, away... lol:lick:

Sinistar

Smash Journeyman
Moar colors.

Orange.

Depending on the sunlight, their strength and capabilities.

They consume seeds, and have an abillty to create a small flower for the Pikmin to climb on.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Moar colors.

Orange.

Depending on the sunlight, their strength and capabilities.

They consume seeds, and have an abillty to create a small flower for the Pikmin to climb on.

Ok thanks for the suggestion

A thought just came to my mind...Pikmin with genders?

Mewter

Smash Master
A thought just came to my mind...Pikmin with genders?
Umm.... Pikmin with genders?.... That might be interesting.....What differences would the genders have when you throw them? Would one latch on and keep attacking while the other can't latch on but can dodge stuff and then attack?

nukethemall73

Smash Cadet
HOUSE!!!! that would be awesome, and like, have a cat as the HUGEST boss in pikmin history... a flea ridden cat that releases fleas as "henchmen" but obviously wouldnt be intentional, the poor cat is just itchy...

or like, a level where you have to invade an ants nest, would be like mass scale war! with a big queen ant as boss and soldier ants are better fighters than worker ants. i like the inside a frog idea, altho would probs need to be a creature a bit bigger than a frog, how about a rhino? lol

how about a pikmin that olimar can ride!? like, for faster running speed or something, or just big cavalry type pikmin that run really fast, high damage but little defense, like hit-and-run pikmin.

i like the mirror pikmin idea, but would possibly just be easier for him to have to battle another creature that uses pikmin, like another one of his species, or like, his species mortal enemies that have been at war for thousands of years... well, maybe thats a bit excessive, but you see...

id like some more strategic pikmin, like a long range pikmin, maybe it could shoot seeds or something, or a pikmin that can trap enemies in nets or paralyze/slow their movement of enemies and maybe the ability to arm pikmin with small sticks or something, for more damage and armoured pikmin (or jsut really chubba ones) to use as a defense. or like, a marching band pikmin (hang on, i know it sounds lame right now) but that increases damage/defense of pikmin under olimars command. it would be sorta like, olimar has advanced his pikmin into a better fighting force.

maybe the increasing strength from leaf-flower, instead of being due to time, being about damage done, so you can have like "veteran" pikmin.

sorry for making you read all that by the way...

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
I highly think Pikmin 3 will be for the DS also. In the end of Pikmin 2 they showed they have more than just 5 color Pikmin, theres green and black... so theres most likely going to make a sequal. Thanks for the info OlimarFan.

Mewter

Smash Master
Yeah, veteran pikmin...

I was thinking... what if they made it so that you could use dead pikmin to your advantage. Maybe the could be "fertilizer" for the onions and equal 1/4 of a pikmin.:bee:

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I highly think Pikmin 3 will be for the DS also. In the end of Pikmin 2 they showed they have more than just 5 color Pikmin, theres green and black... so theres most likely going to make a sequal. Thanks for the info OlimarFan.
No problems! When I have time, I'll update the info again.

(P.S. Thanks for your advice and suggestions nukethemall73, I'll post it up soon when I'm finished with all my homework and assignments :D

gorgon.

Smash Ace
I wouldn't like to see Pikmin on the DS. The screen and graphics are too small and limiting for a franchise like Pikmin, it wouldn't work well.
I must admit, there have been many interesting ideas on this thread that I'd not thought of. The whole "mineral" idea is unique and I'm content this thread doesn't think "Hocotate Freight sends Olimar to look for more treasure." Cooperation mode would rock, and obviously a new Pikmin comes with new colours. I haven't thought of any, but...

I'd like to point out that I disagree with the idea of Olimar facing real-life insects. The idea of the game is that Olimar arrives on Earth after a global disaster and all humans have been eradicated. The real-life insects evolved into un-insect like animals, hence the bug-like enemies in Pikmin. Therefore, it would make more sense for Olimar to fight enemies that are inspired from real bugs, rather than facing real bugs.

I think the idea of seasons is good, as well as weather. If night exploration were to be included, I always imagined partway through the game Olimar would discover Black pikmin. Blacks come in limited supply but could see well in the dark, allowing night play. More enemies, less light. Night play would be optional.

I don't think Pikmin genders are a good idea. Pikmin reproduce through onions, rendering genders useless. Besides, Pikmin are part-plant, plants don't have genders.

I'm highly anticipating Pikmin 3. I can't satisfy myself with playing Pikmin 2 forever.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I wouldn't like to see Pikmin on the DS. The screen and graphics are too small and limiting for a franchise like Pikmin, it wouldn't work well.
I must admit, there have been many interesting ideas on this thread that I'd not thought of. The whole "mineral" idea is unique and I'm content this thread doesn't think "Hocotate Freight sends Olimar to look for more treasure." Cooperation mode would rock, and obviously a new Pikmin comes with new colours. I haven't thought of any, but...

I'd like to point out that I disagree with the idea of Olimar facing real-life insects. The idea of the game is that Olimar arrives on Earth after a global disaster and all humans have been eradicated. The real-life insects evolved into un-insect like animals, hence the bug-like enemies in Pikmin. Therefore, it would make more sense for Olimar to fight enemies that are inspired from real bugs, rather than facing real bugs.

I think the idea of seasons is good, as well as weather. If night exploration were to be included, I always imagined partway through the game Olimar would discover Black pikmin. Blacks come in limited supply but could see well in the dark, allowing night play. More enemies, less light. Night play would be optional.

I don't think Pikmin genders are a good idea. Pikmin reproduce through onions, rendering genders useless. Besides, Pikmin are part-plant, plants don't have genders.

I'm highly anticipating Pikmin 3. I can't satisfy myself with playing Pikmin 2 forever.

Great ideas mate. Yeah, after thinking about Pikmin genders, it might get too complicated for the common audience with all the different stats.

Black Pikmin?! Very interesting! If that is the case, how can they be accuqired?
Wouldn't White Pikmin have similiar eyesight to Black Pikmin?

gorgon.

Smash Ace
OlimarFan said:
Great ideas mate. Yeah, after thinking about Pikmin genders, it might get too complicated for the common audience with all the different stats.

Black Pikmin?! Very interesting! If that is the case, how can they be accuqired?
Wouldn't White Pikmin have similiar eyesight to Black Pikmin?
Thanks very much. Now that I think about it, White Pikmin would most likely be able to see their way around in the dark... but I don't like that idea because then Olimar would've been able to night-search in Pikmin 2.
I was thinking that without Black Pikmin, trying to navigate at night would be very hard. Everything around you would be pitch-black with only a small light following you. However, with Black Pikmin, the area around you would be lit like the Solar System ligts caves.
I'm not sure how they would be produced... Onions and Candypop Buds have been done. Maybe they have Onions that are found only in certain areas, on certain days, limiting your reproduction options. I'm still trying to think of another colour... No bomb-resistant Pikmin though... that'd ruin the idea of explosions being unavoidable.

EDIT: Ah! Ideas! Maybe at the beginning of the game, Olimar sees no Pikmin Onions... but wait! There is an unactivated one. He steps up to it... it activates... pop! A seed ejects. Olimar plucks it... a grey Pikmin?
Grey Pikmin, unlike other Pikmin, have no special facial features. They are completely average at everything, and have no special abilities. Olimar must use these Pikmin at the beginning of the game to find the other Pikmin. With no element resistance, you have to be very crafty when it comes to puzzle solving.
What about when you find the other Pikmin and greys become obsolete? Toss them into Candypop Buds or use them when you're afraid of losing Pikmin.
Another idea, an alternate (and may I say more reasonable) idea for Pikmin genders... the new Breed Flower! This is a special Candypop Bud. It is Cyan. Toss a blue pikmin and a yellow pikmin in... you get a green one (not sure about abilities.) Blue+Red=?(already a Purple.) Red+Yellow=Orange (not sure about abilities.)

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Thanks very much. Now that I think about it, White Pikmin would most likely be able to see their way around in the dark... but I don't like that idea because then Olimar would've been able to night-search in Pikmin 2.
I was thinking that without Black Pikmin, trying to navigate at night would be very hard. Everything around you would be pitch-black with only a small light following you. However, with Black Pikmin, the area around you would be lit like the Solar System ligts caves.
I'm not sure how they would be produced... Onions and Candypop Buds have been done. Maybe they have Onions that are found only in certain areas, on certain days, limiting your reproduction options. I'm still trying to think of another colour... No bomb-resistant Pikmin though... that'd ruin the idea of explosions being unavoidable.

EDIT: Ah! Ideas! Maybe at the beginning of the game, Olimar sees no Pikmin Onions... but wait! There is an unactivated one. He steps up to it... it activates... pop! A seed ejects. Olimar plucks it... a grey Pikmin?
Grey Pikmin, unlike other Pikmin, have no special facial features. They are completely average at everything, and have no special abilities. Olimar must use these Pikmin at the beginning of the game to find the other Pikmin. With no element resistance, you have to be very crafty when it comes to puzzle solving.
What about when you find the other Pikmin and greys become obsolete? Toss them into Candypop Buds or use them when you're afraid of losing Pikmin.
Another idea, an alternate (and may I say more reasonable) idea for Pikmin genders... the new Breed Flower! This is a special Candypop Bud. It is Cyan. Toss a blue pikmin and a yellow pikmin in... you get a green one (not sure about abilities.) Blue+Red=?(already a Purple.) Red+Yellow=Orange (not sure about abilities.)
Wow. I took some time to ponder about your ideas, and I think they're very good. I like the Grey and Black Pikmin idea, but I think Grey Pikmin should have an ability.

For the night topic, I realized I haven't answered a straight forward question:
Why would Olimar and his Pikmin be wandering around at night? It can't be for valuable treasures. And I doubt it would be for 'saving someone', as standard Rescue Operations are called off at night and continue at dawn.

Blue+Red=Magenta, but it is similar to Purple. Fair point. You know your colours. :laugh:
Cyan? Hmm...It's a secondary colour, and it hasn't been used yet...but...I just can't imagine Cyan Pikmin. I think that Orange Pikmin are the best choice here (which you pointed out).

gorgon.

Smash Ace
Wow, I never realized about the "no reason for night-travel." Me=stupid.

I still can't think of any abilities, but maybe I'll think of some later. If I do, I'll post them. I think I might've had a few enemy ideas too. More posts from me soon to come.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I really appreciated the read. Now, to give my input. Pikmin are designed specifically for certain tasks. Red Pikmin can resist fire because they are (you guessed it) RED. Also, they are given noses so they may "smell" the fire from afar, or can use it to vent the flames (a bit far fetched). Yellow Pikmin were given ears because they can survive the loud sounds of "blasts", and the ears also accentuate a sort of "Dumbo-effect" where they can "fly", or be thrown further. Blue Pikmin were given fish-like mouths because they can "breathe" in water. White Pikmin were designed to be albino, with large red-eyes for seeing hidden, or "infrared" things; they also appear to be shrunken, or sickly in appearance to reveal their poison-resistance. And Purple Pikmin were designed to be bulky and stocky, to show that not only are they the heaviest of Pikmin, but the strongest.

What might Green or Black Pikmin sport? I never played through Pikmin 2 'till the end, so I don't know how they appear. Perhaps a green Pikmin may camouflage with its environment (due to most environments being grassy and green) to avoid predators, and/or may sport longer legs so it can run faster to avoid predators also. Perhaps a Black Pikmin is used to scare off predators due to its distasteful appearance and may "shadowmeld" when underground.

I very much liked the Zombie Pikmin (the purple ones with mushrooms). I would actually enjoy using those Pikmin to my advantage. Perhaps we'll see Pikmin of different sorts though. Maybe we'll venture underwater at some point and find sea-Pikmin - those that reflect coral, or seaweed. Olimar is already (for the most part) suitable for underwater exploration. Perhaps we'll be fighting fish-like creatures. To stray away from the consistent relatively bug-like creatures, we may need to venture into new lands (such as the aforementioned underwater). Perhaps we may venture into a desert and pluck cactus Pikmin who when eaten, harm the predator immensely. Who knows? I would love to fend off desert lizards and snakes and strange bird-like animals with cactus Pikmin. Maybe the Pikmin that we've come across are only relative to a certain type of environment. Maybe there are many other types of Pikmin in other environments.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I would like to elaborate now on my ideas from my last post. I will post different environments along with their exclusive Pikmin. Firstly, the Red, Yellow, and Blue Pikmin should remain a constant throughout all regions, due to their primary color representation. On the other hand, types such as White and Purple are obtained through Candypop Buds. Now, we have had the ability to obtain two new types of Pikmin through this process, however... perhaps there will be more Pikmin types that we can obtain through Candypop Buds, or any means similar.

DEFAULT:
  • Red Pikmin - their unique physical appearance is their pointed noses. These Pikmin are fireproof and have the second strongest attack power, bested only by Purple Pikmin.
  • Yellow Pikmin - Have large ears which seem to catch wind currents, so they soar much higher when thrown, and are shockproof.
  • Blue Pikmin - have what appear to be mouths, but are actually gills. These Pikmin, unlike the others, can survive in water and are resistant to water-based attacks. If thrown into water or standing idle, they will save any nearby drowning Pikmin by throwing them back to land.

FOREST/UNDERGROUND:
  • Purple Pikmin - are bulkier and larger than normal Pikmin and have several wiry hairs growing out of their head. These Pikmin can cause damage simply by being tossed on enemies (which may also stun them), and will actually scoot their bodies in the air to try and land on the enemy if not tossed directly above it. They can also pick up objects with the force of 10 Pikmin, but move more slowly, even at the flower stage.
  • White Pikmin - are smaller than normal Pikmin and have red eyes. These Pikmin are resistant to poison. They seem to have poison in themselves, as enemies take damage when they ingest White Pikmin. Their red eyes seem to make it possible for them to detect things buried underground. These Pikmin are also the fastest, and carry objects much quicker than other Pikmin.

DESERT:
  • Aqua Pikmin - are the plumpest of Pikmin, rounder than even their Purple cousins. They can be obtained when five Pikmin are thrown into a Bloated Candypop Bud. They are useful mainly only in desert and very dry areas due to their ability to store enough water to keep 10 other Pikmin alive in the sweltering heat. They cannot be thrown, and can sustain more damage than any other Pikmin.
  • Olive Pikmin - are covered in thorns to resemble cacti. When eaten, they deal direct damage to their predator. They can be obtained by tossing two Pikmin into a Thornskin Candypop Bud. When in the flower stage, they are not dependent on Aqua Pikmin for survival in hot environments.

UNDERWATER:
  • Orange Pikmin - are the first species of underwater Pikmin discovered. They can be obtained by tossing Blue or Pink Pikmin into a Scaled Candypop Bud. Orange Pikmin sport fins on their arms and back so that they may move freely and swiftly underwater, much more easily than Blue and Pink Pikmin.
  • Pink Pikmin - are defined by their six tentacle-like limbs: two functioning as legs, and four as arms. They move slower than their Orange counterparts, but can carry three times as much and are more powerful. They can be obtained by tossing Blue or Orange Pikmin into a Sucktioncup Candypop Bud.

The Aqua, Olive, Orange, and Pink Pikmin may be transported to other areas for use, but are most efficient in their home regions. Aqua Pikmin are necessary to keep Orange and Pink Pikmin alive outside of water. Olive Pikmin are useful in all areas except underground where they will die quickly. I may come back and add more later on. Until then, enjoy.

gorgon.

Smash Ace
Wow, Spire. Very interesting. I like the idea of having region-specific Pikmin. Your ideas were well thought out, but I do have many questions.

So how do Aqua Pikmin keep Pikmin alive? Is it automatic, or do the Pikmin have to, like, drink from it or something? And do they ever run out of water?

I like your idea, but Olive Pikmin really seem to be weaker versions of Whites (other that the no-water-needed thing.) Whites have already displayed the ability of harming creatures when eaten. Perhaps the enemies just take longer to chew because of the Olive's spiky exterior, rendering them vulnerable?

Orange Pikmin... interesting. So their ability is to move faster underwater... But from what I've experienced, Blue Pikmin do not move any slower underwater. Are Oranges faster than Whites in water, and Blues are normal speed? Or is it that everything moves slower deep in the water, rather than the shallow puddles above-ground? And how are Oranges out of the water, are they still fast?

Pink Pikmin seem to be the Purple Pikmin of the ocean. Are they still as strong out of the water?

No, wait, idea. I think it would be better if the Pink and Oranges could not survive out of the water, like fish. Perhaps they require substantial amounts of hydration that neither shallow puddles or Aqua Pikmin could provide. If they could venture out of the water, Pink Pikmin would be just like Purples, and Oranges similar to Whites. It would be useless to have two colours of the same trait.

Wow, sorry for all of the questions. I'm really just curious. I'm an avid Pikmin fan, and I like the idea of this discussion.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Wow, Spire. Very interesting. I like the idea of having region-specific Pikmin. Your ideas were well thought out, but I do have many questions.

So how do Aqua Pikmin keep Pikmin alive? Is it automatic, or do the Pikmin have to, like, drink from it or something? And do they ever run out of water?

I like your idea, but Olive Pikmin really seem to be weaker versions of Whites (other that the no-water-needed thing.) Whites have already displayed the ability of harming creatures when eaten. Perhaps the enemies just take longer to chew because of the Olive's spiky exterior, rendering them vulnerable?

Orange Pikmin... interesting. So their ability is to move faster underwater... But from what I've experienced, Blue Pikmin do not move any slower underwater. Are Oranges faster than Whites in water, and Blues are normal speed? Or is it that everything moves slower deep in the water, rather than the shallow puddles above-ground? And how are Oranges out of the water, are they still fast?

Pink Pikmin seem to be the Purple Pikmin of the ocean. Are they still as strong out of the water?

No, wait, idea. I think it would be better if the Pink and Oranges could not survive out of the water, like fish. Perhaps they require substantial amounts of hydration that neither shallow puddles or Aqua Pikmin could provide. If they could venture out of the water, Pink Pikmin would be just like Purples, and Oranges similar to Whites. It would be useless to have two colours of the same trait.

Wow, sorry for all of the questions. I'm really just curious. I'm an avid Pikmin fan, and I like the idea of this discussion.
No, no, I very much appreciate the questions - that's how we further develop ideas. I honestly didn't give too much in-depth thought to these (I wrote this late last night), and I knew questions would be raised.

Olive Pikmin should have some other kind of ability, rather than just being similar to whites in the consumption department. Perhaps not only do they harm their consumers, but they may also be spat back out to resume fighting. Also, because they have thorns, perhaps they may have a "sticking" ability, where they attach themselves to an enemy, gradually harming them, but cannot be easily thrown off.

Aqua Pikmin can support up to 10 others each (perhaps 12 in bud stage and 16 in flower stage), but how they do this? This was a question that I raised myself last night when devising these new types. Perhaps Aqua Pikmin may act as an average Pikmin (no nose, ears, mouth, or any other special features) once drained of their water supply. For instance, When Aqua Pikmin move into a puddle, they completely recharge their water supply (depending on what stage they are at). Then, over time, when Pikmin need water, they jump on the Aqua Pikmin and take a "number" off of the Aqua Pikmin's total water supply. Once that number has been depleted, the Aqua Pikmin just becomes an average, featureless Pikmin who can be thrown, attack, and what not, but may also die from dehydration.

Orange and Pink Pikmin were very questionable myself. While the Aqua Pikmin seems to serve a major purpose, the Orange and Pink Pikmin only seem to serve as infantry, carrying no real strategic approach. Firstly, they may only be obtained underwater (deep, not shallow pools). The Orange are meant to resemble fish, while the Pink resemble octopi. One is a lightweight, one is a heavyweight, but in essence, they are like clones of Blue and Purple Pikmin. I cannot think of anything else for them at the moment, so any suggestions would be nice. NOTE: They need to serve a strong purpose underwater - both in combat, and getting through certain types of obstacles. Perhaps even, the Orange and Pink are very agile powerhouses outside of the water (if they can move greatly in water, then they can move even better outside of it). However, each Orange Pikmin takes up 4 units of water from an Aqua, and each Pink takes up 8 units. That would make them strongly dependent on Aqua Pikmin, boosting their importance up. That way, you would have a reason for using Aquas in areas that are not hot.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Those are some awesome ideas, but Olimar needs something to ride on. And what about selective breeding for Pikmin?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Those are some awesome ideas, but Olimar needs something to ride on. And what about selective breeding for Pikmin?
Hmm... a four legged Pikmin? Now that's a great idea! If you're suggesting genders, that's impossible seeing as how Pikmin are plants and reproduce through onions. Genders are for matinv purposes, and that doesn't happen with Pikmin (would be funny as hell if it did).

gorgon.

Smash Ace
I always imagined a certain emeny would serve as a ride once Olimar beat it down. As soon as its health was depleted, it would become obidient like a dog. Olimar could hop on, and his Pikmin would be automatically dismissed. It would have a health guage, and would die once it is depleted.

I'm planning on making some ideas for enemies, Pikmin, bosses, etc; including descriptions, Piklopedia entries, and some crude sketches. I'll post it in the next few days. (Maybe I'll include this ride-enemy as well.)

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
i dont care that half my friends hated pikmin its one f nintendo's best adventure rpg's and Pikmin 3 will kick @$$ when it comes out

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I would like to elaborate now on my ideas from my last post. I will post different environments along with their exclusive Pikmin. Firstly, the Red, Yellow, and Blue Pikmin should remain a constant throughout all regions, due to their primary color representation. On the other hand, types such as White and Purple are obtained through Candypop Buds. Now, we have had the ability to obtain two new types of Pikmin through this process, however... perhaps there will be more Pikmin types that we can obtain through Candypop Buds, or any means similar.

DEFAULT:
  • Red Pikmin - their unique physical appearance is their pointed noses. These Pikmin are fireproof and have the second strongest attack power, bested only by Purple Pikmin.
  • Yellow Pikmin - Have large ears which seem to catch wind currents, so they soar much higher when thrown, and are shockproof.
  • Blue Pikmin - have what appear to be mouths, but are actually gills. These Pikmin, unlike the others, can survive in water and are resistant to water-based attacks. If thrown into water or standing idle, they will save any nearby drowning Pikmin by throwing them back to land.

FOREST/UNDERGROUND:
  • Purple Pikmin - are bulkier and larger than normal Pikmin and have several wiry hairs growing out of their head. These Pikmin can cause damage simply by being tossed on enemies (which may also stun them), and will actually scoot their bodies in the air to try and land on the enemy if not tossed directly above it. They can also pick up objects with the force of 10 Pikmin, but move more slowly, even at the flower stage.
  • White Pikmin - are smaller than normal Pikmin and have red eyes. These Pikmin are resistant to poison. They seem to have poison in themselves, as enemies take damage when they ingest White Pikmin. Their red eyes seem to make it possible for them to detect things buried underground. These Pikmin are also the fastest, and carry objects much quicker than other Pikmin.

DESERT:
  • Aqua Pikmin - are the plumpest of Pikmin, rounder than even their Purple cousins. They can be obtained when five Pikmin are thrown into a Bloated Candypop Bud. They are useful mainly only in desert and very dry areas due to their ability to store enough water to keep 10 other Pikmin alive in the sweltering heat. They cannot be thrown, and can sustain more damage than any other Pikmin.
  • Olive Pikmin - are covered in thorns to resemble cacti. When eaten, they deal direct damage to their predator. They can be obtained by tossing two Pikmin into a Thornskin Candypop Bud. When in the flower stage, they are not dependent on Aqua Pikmin for survival in hot environments.

UNDERWATER:
  • Orange Pikmin - are the first species of underwater Pikmin discovered. They can be obtained by tossing Blue or Pink Pikmin into a Scaled Candypop Bud. Orange Pikmin sport fins on their arms and back so that they may move freely and swiftly underwater, much more easily than Blue and Pink Pikmin.
  • Pink Pikmin - are defined by their six tentacle-like limbs: two functioning as legs, and four as arms. They move slower than their Orange counterparts, but can carry three times as much and are more powerful. They can be obtained by tossing Blue or Orange Pikmin into a Sucktioncup Candypop Bud.

The Aqua, Olive, Orange, and Pink Pikmin may be transported to other areas for use, but are most efficient in their home regions. Aqua Pikmin are necessary to keep Orange and Pink Pikmin alive outside of water. Olive Pikmin are useful in all areas except underground where they will die quickly. I may come back and add more later on. Until then, enjoy.
Wow. Very creative ideas. I tip off my hat to you. However, I raise slight concerns...

In Pikmin, Miyamoto introduced 3 Pikmin-Red, Yellow and Blue.
In Pikmin 2, Miyamoto introduced 2 Pikmin-Purple and White.
In Pikmin 3, would Miyamoto introduce 2 or more Pikmin? I don't think so.
Keep this in mind:

Every New Pikmin has a chance of sparking controversy.

Unless if the great designer can pull it off brilliantly. I'm not saying your Aqua, Olive, Orange and Pink Pikmin ideas are lame or anything. They're great! It's just that I don't think Miyamoto would introduce that many.

Then also consider this question: Why didn't Miyamoto introduce more Pikmin in Pikmin 2?
He would have a much better chance and would spark much less controversy. Now the 'expectation bar' is very high due to its success. See where I'm getting at? I think he'll only introduce one more, at max.

Note: Check this site out, folks...Pikmin 3 Title Cover and Blurb, or so it seems...
http://www.vgboxart.com/boxes/Wii/7071-v3.jpg

gorgon.

Smash Ace
I see your point, OlimarFan. I'm not expecting many new Pikmin either: I just hope for new and creative enemies, bosses, and levels. And just as how in Pikmin 2 introduced caves, I hope Pikmin 3 will unveil a new gameplay element.

As for the cover, I see the fan who made it was going for the idea of a Pikmin MMORPG. All I can say is: Oh God, I hope not.

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys this is my first post in these forums...ive been searching for such forums to discuss pikmin 3 and when i saw this one i said omg i need to register here...gj ur ideas are great but id love to add some thoughts....

u have thoughts of riding pikmin or fish pikmin....ur ideas are great but i believe that u have in mind a different picture than pikmin.... not any creature in the shape of these current pikmin would be able to be riden after all....what im trying to say is that whatever we think we have to keep ourselves in the gridlines of pikmin...just differ their colour and add some facial features....after all this is pikmin not pokemon which has 493 different ones (not that i dont like pokemon though, ive been playing for many years and i really love new gens) but thats a different game ...they shouldnt all be following the same schedule...

finally uve mentioned many colours that have not been seen in the onions at the good ending of the first game....although ur ideas are cool there are already many colours seen there but not yet done and they should focus on finishing them first and then make these (otherwise we will still be thinking...there are so many colours which we are sure that exist.....but have never been introduced) and if they are never brought out we will always wonder what they would have been like...besides most of those u have mentioned are very similar to existing colours.... ofc thats not really a problem....it can be fixed by just chosing a different colour for those pikmin....

finally id love to introduce a new idea...actually develop an idea u sarted but aborted, black pikmin...
why is that a bad idea? they wont be alone in searching through the night, they will be glowing in dark therefore allowing all the other pikmin see just as well....this way they will all be usable, without the prob of the eyes-which have already been made in white pikmin...BUT there is still another problem that occurs...WHY TO PLAY AT NIGHT??? Well i guess thats obvious..u dont need a specific reason to play at night nor is there anything which can only be done at that point..its just the removal of the time limit within each day...this way we will have all the time we want to finish a task... ofc they will be obtained much later in the game so u want have such an amazing advantage from the begining! if, like someone said, only one pikmin is introduced then i really believe it should be the black one....i really hate this time limt...besides they already got rid of the 30-day limit and only the daytime limit is left...that means they dont have any prob removing such things...

In addition u have been thinking of new ways to find pikmin though thats not necessary as we already have all we need, id suggest a system where in every new sequel they make an onion for each of the new pikmin introduced to the previous sequel and make candypop flowers for the new ones....now u might say that there isnt an onion for white and purple pikmin but let me correct u... in the ending of the first game among the onions there were a white one and a purple one and now u will add, ok but y would they have a candypop flower while they have an onion...well i dont know y but i do know that it is possible as yellow pikmin that have onion had a yellow candypop as well in pikmin 2 in a cave(dont ask me for names)

well thats all! sorry for writing that much...i just got excited and posted all the ideas that ive thought while reading all these posts

The Mano Games VII

Smash Journeyman
Where I live? Why, location is a state of mind my
Hey yall, I've been reading through this thread, great ideas, so I'd like to post a few things I've thought of.

First, what if one of the "caves" was one you had to get to by climbing a beat up traffic cone? I'm thinking that there's a ramp that leads into this crevice scratched in near the cones base. At first, the path starts as a spiral, with the day pretty much a regular bright blue. But then, as you advance, you start to see a bit of a darker blue out of the top of the screen, at this point, there are a bunch of mazes where you have to split your group up in order to get different things accomlished. Then, the screen is now a bit of a dark blue, and it starts raining. Now, your team has to evade little streams of water in order to not get washed off the cone. The clouds are starting to get a little blacker as well. Then, after managing to ford those treachorous streams, there's a flash of lightning, and now all of a sudden, the clouds turn completely black and cover the sky, the wind is blowing so hard that the rain is actually being blown towards your group. Not only that, but now you must use the wind currents to throw yellow pikmin even further across in order to access things. Then finally, after a long and difficult journey, you climb a bunch of stairs leading to the hole, the sky clears up to reveal nightime, which is black and full of stars, and your team now gets to go down the hole.

I feel like I've typed a lot for a paragraph so I'll stop now, but if anyone wants to hear my second idea, I'm more than happy to share (it's about what the final boss will be and where and how you fight it).

gorgon.

Smash Ace
Yeah, all ideas are appreciated. As I stated, I might make a mini-Piklopedia with enemies, Piklopedia entries, bosses, pictures, ideas, etc.

Your cave idea was interesting and well thought out, and I've had similar "cave location" ideas. For example, there was on where the level was the ruins of a modern house (on a kitchen counter) and one of the caves was the sink drain. You go down the hole and the cave is a labryinth of pipes.

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
...there was on where the level was the ruins of a modern house (on a kitchen counter) and one of the caves was the sink drain. You go down the hole and the cave is a labryinth of pipes.
Good idea... maybe they should focus in making the dungeons more real like...for example in pikmin 2 there was a dungeon like a shower room but actually it had nothing to remind u of one, except the tiled floor...it would be cooler to focus on making these caves more real-like

PS: Not only the only similarity was the tiled floor but i also think that the tiles where quite small considering the size of trasure.... I mean just think of a battery treasure and these tiles.... the size is almost equal, then go to ur bathroom and put a battery on the floor...It's clear that the analogy they used sucks

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
Wow. Very creative ideas. I tip off my hat to you. However, I raise slight concerns...

Keep this in mind:

Unless if the great designer can pull it off brilliantly. I'm not saying your Aqua, Olive, Orange and Pink Pikmin ideas are lame or anything. They're great! It's just that I don't think Miyamoto would introduce that many.

Then also consider this question: Why didn't Miyamoto introduce more Pikmin in Pikmin 2?
He would have a much better chance and would spark much less controversy. Now the 'expectation bar' is very high due to its success. See where I'm getting at? I think he'll only introduce one more, at max.

Note: Check this site out, folks...Pikmin 3 Title Cover and Blurb, or so it seems...
Partially yeah... but having seen that in Pikmin 2 they had blurbmin and believing that unlike the purple-murshmin-zombies in pikmin1(haven't played it so dont know exact name) they WILL keep these ones out i believe they will add a second kind... It would be wiser to both keep the ones already known but add a completely new kind as well...

As for the cover....i dont think so...ive seen plenty of them...go in google videos and search for pikmin 3... there is a vid with some pausible covers... besides they didnt announce it so no official cover yet

soz for double posting...didnt see that i was the previous one

Toadsanime

Smash Journeyman
UK, England (We got Brawl late. Get over it.)

Keep this in mind:

OlimarFan, the website which you discovered this so-called official 'box-art' is actually vgboxart.com, a website renowned for causing rumors and speculations among fans about new 'official box-art'. However, all box-art on vgboxart.com is fan made only, meaning what you see here is only something created by a fan. It is their own work and is what they envision the final product may look like. It is never, in any way, inspired by any official products, artwork or announcements by Nintendo.
Just thought I'd clear that one up for you. ^.-

As for there not being any new Pikmin added, I disagree. I don't think any new Pikmin will cause any significant damage to the state of fans of the game. I suggest that there will be 2-3 new Pikmin in the next game. (Of course, that's presuming that there will be a 'next game', considering Nintendo have said nothing of it, not even in this year's E3. However, I find it highly unlikely that a third installment will never be made.)

Top Bottom