• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikmin Desync Deciphered (First vid up!)

shanus

Smash Hero
a full line would be hard, but I've done it with 3 in line. Multiple throws, or latch->dsmash->desync work just fine as long as you desync the first one returning.

Waldorf

Smash Rookie
That's amazing, this has really good potential. So far with what I've been doing it seems almost impossible with alrge amoutns of lag, though : /

Excellence

Smash Champion
What I'm thinking this is, is the maximum distance a Pikmin will accept a command. I think, if the Pikmin is too far it's default response is to teleport toward Olimar. Since the Pikmin isn't in range to teleport, it moves toward him, running. Once it gets within earshot I want to call it, it takes the command and can actually do it from a distance. That's all assumption, but how does everyone else feel about it, because

I've been seeing this for a while when Olimar does a hyphen smash. In one video, an Olimar user was running in for a Hyphen Smash and actually ran behind the opponent first, then used the smash once he was behind him. His following Purple Pikmin, being the slowest, lagged behind Olimar but performed the smash from a distance and actually hit the opponent from the front, not behind. I laughed when someone commented, "Uh... hitbox... "

I'll try and find that video again, but since it was a random match I don't think I'll find it again.

shanus

Smash Hero
So last night I witnessed a desync that occurred about 5-6 rolls away from Olimar way outside the boundary I had been able to get before. Additionally, this was with a full line of pikmin and was a purple I tossed outwards at the opponent which they went and jabbed while i was running at them to do an upsmash. No replay unfortunately, but this might mean that regardless of pikmin line, there might be a way to use any hit pikmin to desync. Not sure yet, but gives this slightly more hope

Fino

Smash Master
I learned that if pikachu QAC's through olimar, and you usmash.... it will follow pikachu. I noticed this about a month ago, I'm not sure if any other attacks cause the auto-desync.

~Fino

EDIT: btw... I Do believe I have a vid... :-/

XienZo

Smash Lord
I learned that if pikachu QAC's through olimar, and you usmash.... it will follow pikachu. I noticed this about a month ago, I'm not sure if any other attacks cause the auto-desync.

~Fino

EDIT: btw... I Do believe I have a vid... :-/
Seriously? Like, all the time?

Fino

Smash Master
Pretty sure,
When I see a pika QUC towards me, my csitck automatically points in the up direction. lol.
I have a vid. I'll try to post it sometime this week (against k primes pikachu)

~Fino

peeup

Smash Lord
So last night I witnessed a desync that occurred about 5-6 rolls away from Olimar way outside the boundary I had been able to get before. Additionally, this was with a full line of pikmin and was a purple I tossed outwards at the opponent which they went and jabbed while i was running at them to do an upsmash. No replay unfortunately, but this might mean that regardless of pikmin line, there might be a way to use any hit pikmin to desync. Not sure yet, but gives this slightly more hope

Please direct all research to this post.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
What I'm thinking this is, is the maximum distance a Pikmin will accept a command. I think, if the Pikmin is too far it's default response is to teleport toward Olimar. Since the Pikmin isn't in range to teleport, it moves toward him, running. Once it gets within earshot I want to call it, it takes the command and can actually do it from a distance. That's all assumption, but how does everyone else feel about it, because

I've been seeing this for a while when Olimar does a hyphen smash. In one video, an Olimar user was running in for a Hyphen Smash and actually ran behind the opponent first, then used the smash once he was behind him. His following Purple Pikmin, being the slowest, lagged behind Olimar but performed the smash from a distance and actually hit the opponent from the front, not behind. I laughed when someone commented, "Uh... hitbox... "

I'll try and find that video again, but since it was a random match I don't think I'll find it again.
Most intelligent and logical explanation thus far. I actually believe this is it.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I think I have a theory for why the pikmin needs to be hit, but it's just a theory. You have to input the usmash during the hitstun of the attack on the pikmin before the pikmin would recieve the knockback effect. With this theory, it would be a lot easier to time when the pikmin got hit by something like ganon's dair than mario's jab.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
It probably wouldn't kill a yellow because of the electric immunity... I hate yellow pikmin... Anyways, what other possible explanation could there be for the pikmin having to get hit for the desynch?

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Well, I wasn't disregarding your theory. I do think it is a good idea. I was very positive Excellence had the right idea until the distance of the desync was phenomenally increased.

You know, I was going to post my theory, but I couldn't organize my thoughts and it looked like garbage. I'll put some more thought into it.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
i can't really test but i want to point out a couple common sense things that could possibly help anyone who is. first, the purple pikmin is slow and has high durability, which means it will take longer for it to return and thus increase the likelihood of the purple pikmin to not sync with olimar as well as other pikmin, and it has a higher likelihood of surviving the attack. considering that it also has the best damage for attacks, i'd recommend considering the purple pikmin the focal point of testing unless there's a reason to test with other pikmin, maybe for a control or something.

the second thing is i don't think you are desyncing, i think the pikmin is simply countering, that is, it requires the opponent to hit the pikmin first, and then somehow that temporarily glitches the game and allows you to attack immediately with the pikmin regardless of position relative to Olimar. i don't think it's possible to have Olimar by himself or Olimar with the rest of the pikmin in line doing a completely separate attack from the solo pikmin, and i haven't come across anything to suggest that it's possible.

in the video vs. Mario, as the pikmin walks back, the opponent attacks him while he is still leader since he is the only one in line and counters. in the vs. Diddy video, Olimar Fsmashes with a yellow pikmin, bringing the purple one to the front, rolls and... counters?

i'm not sure, this is where my idea breaks down because the video goes a little too fast for my eyes to see if the purple pikmin was attacked, but i don't see him taking damage graphics wise, though Diddy's attack likely would've hit if purple wasn't invincible which may or may not count for something.

sorry if this thread was meant to die or if things have been figured out already, i noticed this thread hasn't been posted in in a while.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
i've thought about looking more into pikmin mechanics... to figure out this whole everything when it comes to desyncs (including ghost pikmin and Pyronic's situation where half of his line stopped paying attention to him.)

i just need to find the time to do it.

Fino

Smash Master
Question...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPSBuX_UQOY

Okay, I know this was my lulz vid or w/e, but I noticed something weird.

The pikmin here isn't hit.

What it looks like is I throw out a grab, shield, slide back from the move, and a simple usmash OoS hits them. The pikmin stays where I originally was, but since I slid with my shield it created a 'de-sync-esq' thing to occur.

I'ma try to re-create this shield stun de-sync, if this works... perhaps desyncing usmashes won't be so un-common anymore. Would thinks like high priority aerials matter as much if we could de-sync an usmash to punish? Not peach's dair or anything, but luigi's dair, bair, or marths retreating fair approaches, or maybe even the last hit on his dancing blade combo.... idk
*needs to test*

~Fino

Plasma Pikmin

Smash Apprentice
Are you sure that the Pikmin wasn't hit? It looks like it wasn't, but you can hear Ness's Bair making contact with it. Or was it hit while it was already doing the Usmash?

Fino

Smash Master
Are you sure that the Pikmin wasn't hit? It looks like it wasn't, but you can hear Ness's Bair making contact with it. Or was it hit while it was already doing the Usmash?
Ness' bair makes a zappy noise, that was a thug.... purple usmashes make thugs ^^;
It's really close, but it looks like the usmash makes contact w/o being hit =-/

~Fino

DarkPikmin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zDecoy
It sounds like the Bear hits the pikmin and from what i've seen so far with desynching, the pikmin must be hit while charging or in the start up frames of the U smash.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Cape Pikmin Desynch

I'm sure this doesn't deserve its own thread, but I think it's definately worth mentioning, because I haven't read about this yet. I haven't checked the threads here in months, so delete this post if necessary.

Yesterday, I was playing against a Mario, and he caped Olimar as my Pikmin grabbed him. Olimar turned around, but the Pikmin that was holding Mario didn't. I saw this, and I pressed forward, which would've been backward if I didn't turn around. The Pikmin threw Mario backwards, and I didn't turned around. Olimar did the throw animation, and the Pikmin responded without even seeing the little guy.

I think that's magic right there.

Anyway, if this hasn't been discovered yet, I think we're another step closer to completely understanding our undersized friend.

- Llumys

Edit: Lame, someone moved my thread.

PFANT

Smash Cadet
i just made another thread trying to find someone that i can send a replay of a desync that happened while i was playing tonight but i'll ask here as well..... anyone know who can get my replay off my wii and on to the internet?

MetalGuitaristX

Smash Rookie
finally some good news about olimar! i've been waiting to see this, NOW if someone could figure out a way for him to recover without using the tether ........ MUST LOOK INTO THIS

Fino

Smash Master
finally some good news about olimar! i've been waiting to see this, NOW if someone could figure out a way for him to recover without using the tether ........ MUST LOOK INTO THIS
Don't you know that you can cancel his upB to do a second jump again? It like bowsers koopa claw jump... except you can only do it once... and it works offstage...

~Fino

Llumys

Smash Champion

Don't you know that you can cancel his upB to do a second jump again? It like bowsers koopa claw jump... except you can only do it once... and it works offstage...

~Fino
Si, it's 2gud. I think this is a good time to bring a off-topic something up.

I can upb and usmash OOS and pivot usmash without tap jump on, so I can do interesting tether techs and have jump cancelling.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I'm sure this doesn't deserve its own thread, but I think it's definately worth mentioning, because I haven't read about this yet. I haven't checked the threads here in months, so delete this post if necessary.

Yesterday, I was playing against a Mario, and he caped Olimar as my Pikmin grabbed him. Olimar turned around, but the Pikmin that was holding Mario didn't. I saw this, and I pressed forward, which would've been backward if I didn't turn around. The Pikmin threw Mario backwards, and I didn't turned around. Olimar did the throw animation, and the Pikmin responded without even seeing the little guy.

I think that's magic right there.

Anyway, if this hasn't been discovered yet, I think we're another step closer to completely understanding our undersized friend.

- Llumys

Edit: Lame, someone moved my thread.
I actually have 2 replays of it.
The first one was an accident, the second time was hard, its pretty much with the mindfrs
ame of desync with a grab, I was holding shield.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Yeah, apparently Pikmin are immune to the cape. They can't turn around... <_<; That means the direction you imput is for the Pikmin, not you. Even if you're pressing backward, it can still be a forward throw.

Top Bottom