• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikmin pluck % by stage

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
*wanders into topic*

It seems Yellow Pikmin are more likely to be plucked from "mechanical" surfaces like the Star Fox ships. Norfair's platforms also have a definite mechanical flavor. I imagine they would appear more often on Frigate Orpheon too. I'm not sure what Purples have in common with Delphino's theme...maybe the natural terrain on the two islands and the pillar set?

*wanders out of topic*

geekd

Smash Apprentice
^thanks for all the help guys

How exactly do you write down these numbers Geekd?
I'd help, but it seems like a hassle writing and tallying them up.

5 multicolored thumb counters?
there really isn't anything glamorous about it; as tedious as it is tho, it doesn't take too long (probably 20 min per stage).

I create a table with 5 columns, one for each color, and then keep a running tally as I pluck pikmin. I found it easiest to tally 10 pikmin per line per column. When actually plucking I will always pluck 6, whistle, jump left/right (dashing works just as well), and then push pause. You can just flick the cstick to move the camera to see all the pikmin. When it's paused it's easy to see all the colors, tally them, and all the while you don't have to worry about the stage moving. Once tallied I unpause the game, send the pikmin to their demise, rinse and repeat.

This is just the system that I found works best for me. Feel free to mimic me, or find a method you like more, i really don't care.

once again, thanks for the help and interest

geekd

Smash Apprentice
*wanders into topic*

It seems Yellow Pikmin are more likely to be plucked from "mechanical" surfaces like the Star Fox ships. Norfair's platforms also have a definite mechanical flavor. I imagine they would appear more often on Frigate Orpheon too. I'm not sure what Purples have in common with Delphino's theme...maybe the natural terrain on the two islands and the pillar set?

*wanders out of topic*
surfaces do not seem to have an impact, however i think the idea of themed stages following a kind of pattern makes a lot of sense.

Then perhaps white = ghost =luigi's mansion?
its worth looking into further

Davy Jones

Smash Ace
What if Pikmin are plucked randomly? I mean they don't have to be plucked depending on stages. All games dissapoint players somehow...[Off topic] Most dissapointing game- SPORE[off topic/]

IcyLight

Smash Lord
As far as the Norfair data goes...I don't know about you guys but when I CP norfair (almost every time it's on/not banned in stage striking) i am an ******* on platforms, dropping below up-b to the no lag uair from ledge. I am constantly spamming u-air combos and if i'm not mistaken...u-air is best with yellows, is it not?

JawKnee~

Smash Cadet
Hm. This is pretty interesting. I'll try to help if I can, and not feeling lazy. So, just a few questions, what stages haven't you tested, and how should I calculate the Pikman Pluck % Data?

F00LY

Smash Apprentice
I don't even play Olimar. I just liked this cause, so here you guys go, this is my input. Note, I threw away my starting Pikmin, and plucked 603. I did not pay attention to if the environment changed or anything. I started off plucking 6, throwing them, plucking. Half way through I started plucking a random #, marking it, then killing myself, it was faster.

Pokemon Stadium

Total Pikmin: 603
Purple - 73 - 12.1%
White - 87 - 14.4%
Red - 130 -21.6%
Blue - 156 - 25.9%
Yellow - 157 -26.0%

Hope this helps somehow.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
Why has nobody tested Distant Planet yet :p

I would like to help out and test this because it sounds really cool, but I won't have much free time at all until the weekend.

the_real_toad

Smash Cadet
I don't understand why more people aren't testing this .. knowing the likelihood of your pikmin coming out (getting more blues for perhaps a pivot grab bthrow kill?) is pretty darn important to know. I picked Lylat against my friend's Pikachu the other day and I had mostly yellows the entire time which is a huge help with the immunity to electricity and the extra hitstun. I would help but I don't have a wii. but you guys have no excuse >_>

Smash Master
Hey, I did one, and I don't even use Olimar. I'll do another later.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
the original post should be edited to list the stages that havent been checked. It's too much work to go through all of the pages to make sure a stage hasnt been checked yet >.>

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
kingofping4 did corneria, but it was only out of 126 pikmin, so i went ahead and did a double check on it (since it seems to be a good stage for olimar.)

I did a test with 500 pikmin (percentages were rounded off)
Red: 93 (18.6%)
BLue: 92 (18.4%)
Yellow: 212(42.4%) (...coincidence?)
White: 52(10.4%)
Purple: 51(10.2%)

So there was a 10% difference in mine and kingofping.... the 40% of yellows seemed a little dramatic, so i'll probably recheck it.

I also went ahead and did Jungle Japes

Again, out of 500
Red: 113(22.6%)
Blue: 131(26.2%)
Yellow: 121(24.2%)
White: 83(16.6%)
Purple: 52(10.4%)

I expected much more blues than anything else, seeing how it's a water themed stage but most things seem a bit standard.

geekd

Smash Apprentice
i will over winter break - when im at school the last thing i wanna do is pluck and tally pikmin (plus my roomates give me **** for it)

come break, I should have plenty of time to edit the op and finish what i started.

By all means, though, feel free to test as many stages as you can...

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Well I think it's safe to say that the two patterns that have been seen are either the regular 23/23/23/15/15 and another pattern that basically has 30 in either red blue or yellow, 20 in the other two, and about 15 in white and purple. Lylat Corneria and Norfair(??) both seem to have a 20/23/20/15/15 and summit has 20/20/23/15/15.

but i'm wanting to know what stage has the 30% in reds. I went to brinstar expecting it to be there, but i found

Red: 19.2
Yellow: 29.6
Blue: 21.2
White: 13.8
Purple: 16.2

Which is again, practically a 20/23/20/15/15, very similar to Lylat and the other yellow stages. However, It doesnt look like a purple or white stage has been found, other than delfino randomly having a 20% in one test. I may check that soon... perhaps it's only red/blue/yellow that has the changes and the other two stay roughly around 15.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I was wondering where this went.

I'll contribute... some time. Winter Break is like in a week...

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
just did pirate ship, expecting it to be a blue stage like summit

Out of 500
Bed: 26.6
Yellow: 27.8
Blue: 22.6
Yellow: 13.0
Purple: 11.4

Seems to be a standard 23/23/23/15/15 stage...which is weird because i would expect this one to be a blue stage moreso than summit....

Castle Seige:
I was curious to whether the different stage changes would affect the pikmin, so I split the 600 pikmin I pulled into three groups of 200.

Stage 1
Red: 22.5%
Yellow: 25.5%
Blue: 26%
White: 14%
Purple: 12%

Stage 2
Red: 28
Yellow: 23
Blue: 20
white: 16
Purple: 15

Stage 3
Red: 23.5
Yellow: 22
Blue: 25.5
White: 15.5
Purple: 13.5

Nothing looks TOO different between the three stages, other than part 2's reds being closer to 30 than 23... I may end up pulling more only at that phase of Castle Seige, just to be sure. But it would make more sense for the third phase to be 30 in reds than the second.

But since they look like standard stages, I added the three together for 600 and got:

Red: 24.6
Yellow: 23.5
Blue: 23.8
White: 15.2
Purple: 13.2

So yeah. Definitely looks like a standard stage to me.

I also noticed that pulling pikmin in the third stage of Castle Seige takes significantly longer. It seems like olimar doesnt pull them out in rapid succession like on normal stages but has a small break in between pulls. Has this already been discovered? And if it has, are any other stages like this?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
okay! now THIS is quite the discovery....

I was doing pokemon stadium, and like castle seige, I split it up between the stages.

the normal stage seems to be a standard stage, being 23/23/23/15/15. So do the rock, fire, and grass stage.

HOWEVER

I was at the water stage, and decided to pick all of my pikmin from the water part of the stage. The part below the platforms shot up by water. here's what I got:

Yellow: 27.2%
Blue: 40.5%
White: 17.5%
Purple: 14.8%

oh, I forgot the red ones, right?
no.
there werent any.

yeah.

I ended up picking 600 pikmin in all from the shallow water. Not a single one of them was red. To top it off, when I pulled pikmin from the other parts of the water stage, I got reds, as if it was just a regular stage. Also, in the grass stage, the tiny stream near the middle of the stage doesnt have reds either. I picked 200 from there and again, none were red.

But it's not just at stadium. Summit, when the glacier is floating in the water and you can stand in the shallow part? no reds. Rumble Falls where there's that small pointless patch of water? no reds. Delfino where you're in the city and you can stand in the water? no reds! the only places with shallow water you could stand in that DID have reds was distant planet when the water rushes down from the left, and the bottom left corner of hannenbow (but i dont think that counts)

so i suppose this proves that pikmin pluck %'s are not based on stages, but WHERE on the stage you pull them from. If this is a little hard to believe... go to stadium 1. wait for the water stage, and pull some out while standing in the water.

Oh, and I confirmed that the mountain on the rock stage of stadium doesnt have an increase in purples. At the rock stage I pulled 200 pikmin solely from that rock and 10.5% of them were purple. I highly doubt that it's possible for for an increase of whites and purples, and the only differences from the 23/15 pattern that i've seen is

20/23/20/15/15 - electronic terrain with an increase in yellows
20/20/23/15/15 - ice terrain with increase in blues
0/30/40/15/15 - terrain in shallow water with a HUGE increase in blues, increase in yellows, and no reds whatsoever

and those are the only terrains i can think of that are significant. There really isnt any 'fire' terrain that reds could have an increase in. I'll probably do a check on the sand in delfino, and pull 600 from just that part of the stage.

personally i think this is a huge discovery for olimar's metagame. However, finding a stage with increase in red would be much help in the snake matchup... but i cant seem to find one.

oh, and i wont post the numbers for the different phases of stadium. Like I said, everything except for those two parts were very close to being 23/23/23/15/15, so i dont feel like typing them all out >.>

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Wow, that's some awesome stuff Hilt. While I don't think it's game changing, it does give you some level of control over Pikmin.

Going in for the kill? Play in the puddles!

This really is awesome. I'm excited and wanna do some testing now. :bee:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Wow, that's some awesome stuff Hilt. While I don't think it's game changing, it does give you some level of control over Pikmin.

Going in for the kill? Play in the puddles!

This really is awesome. I'm excited and wanna do some testing now. :bee:
...plus it proves that it's terrain that changes pluck %, instead of stage like we all originally thought.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Well I was curious to when geekd tested summit, if possibly alot of the pikmin would have been picked in the shallow water, when blues go up to 40%, instead of the ice. Also, there was a 20% in whites, instead of what I think to be a constant 15/15 for whites and purples.

I pulled 1000 pikmin to get as accurate as possible, and all of the pikmin were pulled from ice and not from shallow water.

red: 20.4%
Yellow: 19.4%
Blue: 28.2%
White: 21.2%
Purple: 11.2%

So considering the similarities of my 1000 and his 600, i think it's safe to say that there's a 20/10 of whites and purples from ice terrain, or at least from summit. Also, a 20/20/30 for red/yellow/blues. I'll probably check to see if the same applies to the ice phase of stadium 2 soon as well, since summit isnt tournament legal and stadium 2 sometimes is....

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Some ideas for testing...

The Support Ghost on Yoshi's Island

Arwings on Corneria

Pictochat Drawlings

King of Red Lions on Pirate Ship

Blocks on Green Greens (Bomb block maybe?)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Some ideas for testing...

The Support Ghost on Yoshi's Island

Arwings on Corneria

Pictochat Drawlings

King of Red Lions on Pirate Ship

Blocks on Green Greens (Bomb block maybe?)
yeah, i thought about doing that. I was thinking that the bomb in green greens may have a red increase. Also, the sand in delfino may have some differences. Support ghost as well, but that ones kinda difficult since it falls so fast lol

asob4

Smash Champion
this makes delfino better for oli

***where the shallow water is, it is walk off. early blue bthrow kill ftw?

geekd

Smash Apprentice
dam I actually think this is bad news as this complicates testing considerably. I still think that it is foolish to say that stage doesn't matter, only terrain--but instead that there seem to be multiple variables. Clearly we still have a lot of ground to cover before we figure all of this out...

nice work hilt

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
okay, this one definitely took the longest >.>

just finished delphino. I seperated it into like eight or nine sections (cant remember lol) just so i could check EVERY type of terrain there. And now I'm a bit confused...

not gonna list the exact percentages I got, but if you want them geekd i still have them written down so i can still post them.

the floating platform clearly has a 23/23/23/10/20, with a slight increase in purples and decrease in whites. This is probably why when delphino was tested awhile back there was a large amount of purples.
Now, the street parts of the stage, the rooftop, the grass pillars, the shine gate and the umbrella(yes, i checked the umbrella lol), all have a neutral 23/23/23/15/15 amount. Nothing strange there.

In addition to the umbrella, I checked the red awning just for the heck of it. I was surprised to actually find the first Red terrain lol! The awning actually gives you a 30/20/20/15/15 amount.... i guess only because it's red... just seems kinda stupid to me >.>

next, the beaches. The sand at delphino gives a really awkward combination... so for this one i'll post what I got. I plucked 900 pikmin at the two beaches combined (didnt really feel like getting that even 1000....) and here's what I got

Red: 29.6%
Yellow: 31.6%
Blue: 16.7%
White: 6.1%
Purples: 15.7%

I dont know what to put this one as. red and yellow are obviously 30%... but would blue and purple be 15? if so, why is white so low? 6.1 seems a little bit too few. for now, i'll list this one as 30/30/16/6/16 since that seems to be the only one that makes any sense....

oh, and like i stated before, the shallow water at delphino is just like stadium 1's water, being 0/30/40/15/15.

This could make delphino one of olimar's best stages, if played strategically.

and geekd, i'd have to dissagree and say that it's only terrain and not stages. Certain stages are ONLY one terrain, such as lylat.

Fino

Smash Master
I have a theory... could it be just literally color based? Like dis-regarding plain stages, but special terrain such as sand, water, and red arwings which give more yellow, blues, and reds respectively. Could it really be that plain and simple. I don't have the time, but would you pluck the on cloud terrain on skyworld... and see if there is an increase in whites?
I've only been to one tournament where skyworld has been legal, but I'm just saying to test sake ^_^

~Fino

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
yeah, the awning was making me think that it could be color based... but then why would there be a huge increase in yellows at corneria? that has to be because of the mechanical aspect. Same for norfair, lylat, and maybe frigate (havent checket yet). Also, the white umbrella doesnt give more whites, but the red awning DOES give more reds.

also, FD is blue, but it has a neutral 23/15 %.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
okay i just did green greens and frigate orpheon

i only did green greens because i wanted to see if the blocks/bomb blocks gave different pikmin. but they dont....

green greens is a regular 23/23/23/15/15

frigate however, is a yellow/purple stage. 20/30/20/10/20.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
pictochat:
Stage: 23/23/23/20/10 (white)

Distant planet:
leaves/vines/rock: 23/23/23/15/15 (Neutral)
Bulborg: 30/15/25/25/5 (AMERICAN!!)

Yoshi's Island
Support Ghost: 23/23/23/20/10 (White)

Sky World:
Stage: 23/23/23/15/15 (Neutral)
Cloud: 20/20/30/20/10 (Blue/White)

Fino

Smash Master
Way to go Hilt, you definitely have pro status with this testing ^^;
I think you need to keep track of everything you find, and then add it to the OP as you go along. I'm up for helping you test :D Just send things you'd like to find out, and I'll work on some of it ;)

~Fino

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
yeah, I can post up the exact numbers. I'll just need to gather all of my papers together (or find them for that matter). I've actually been working on a chart to fill and pretty much all of the counterpick stages have been filled out. I'm currently working on stadium 2, and I'd like to do some more on the the beach of delphino, since 30\16\30\6\16 probably isn't accurate...

but I plan for all of the stages to be tested, even those that aren't legal (mushroomy kingdom is gonna suck....)

Top Bottom