• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

pikmin rarity?

fums63

Smash Apprentice
it said on the site some pikmin are more common on certain terrain... so what have people discovered about this?

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
i can't necessarily prove this but i am pretty sure it is not actual terrain but moreso certain levels. like the 1 level with water, i would not be surprised if blue pikmin occured more regularly. there isn't much consistency with the notion but i think to some degree it's true, because sometimes i will see 3-4 pikmin in one pull.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
After my 35 hours or whatever of playing so far I'd say it seems the way mercury described it. I don't have details unfortunately, but I can say I always have more Purple than average on Smashville, and a below average number of purple on Battlefield, if average is about what I have on Final Destination. In a few days perhaps I'll actually look more into it, but have plenty I'm working on already unfortunately, so this is about as precise as it'll get for now. Hope it helps,

-True

highsmasher

Smash Cadet
I'll make up a plan to solve this mystery:

- pull and record 100 pikmin on two levels with terrain that is very different from one another.

Ok, i made the plan. Anyone feeling scientific enough to pull a couple hundred pikmin and record their colors ?

Things to keep in mind during level selection:
--Pikmin disposal

in order to pull these *******s up we gotta kill their predecessors off. So the stage must have at least one place to ditch your pikmins. (remember: blue pikmins dont die in water, red pikmins dont die in fire)

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
On space levels, I seem to get a lot of Purples. Norfair gives me plenty of Reds while ice and water levels give me plenty of Blues (the suckiest of all Pikmin). It all seems pretty evident by looking at a level which Pikmin you'll get, aside from the Purples being a bit strange.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
On space levels, I seem to get a lot of Purples. Norfair gives me plenty of Reds while ice and water levels give me plenty of Blues (the suckiest of all Pikmin). It all seems pretty evident by looking at a level which Pikmin you'll get, aside from the Purples being a bit strange.
blue pikmin don't suck. they are probably the most effective pikmin when thrown, considering they do as much damage as a red when they latch, and have nearly as much life as a purple which means that they won't die when the enemy knocks the pikmin off. they suck when not throwing them, but that of course is what the whistle is for.

DiabeticFox

Smash Cadet
I'll make up a plan to solve this mystery:

- pull and record 100 pikmin on two levels with terrain that is very different from one another.

Ok, i made the plan. Anyone feeling scientific enough to pull a couple hundred pikmin and record their colors ?

Things to keep in mind during level selection:
--Pikmin disposal

in order to pull these *******s up we gotta kill their predecessors off. So the stage must have at least one place to ditch your pikmins. (remember: blue pikmins dont die in water, red pikmins dont die in fire)
I can do that. Maybe not tonight, but I'll get to it sometime.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
So, I started this project to remove all doubt from this subject, as seemingly minor though it may be =P

Most of the way through my third year in a science major I can be sure of one thing, data is all one has to go off of, and the more of it you've got that you can use, the better =P It makes sense, that thing everyone learns in high school and even grade school... remove random error by conducting multiple tests yada yada... So anyone thats gonna contribute I urge you to follow lofty ideas of pulling/recording pikmin till your blue, or white or purple or red or yellow... Anyway, my goal was 1000 plucks on Final Destination, assuming we'd use FD as the standard by which we compare other stages by. I got to 700, which I will say is not an easy or fun task, especially later on at night when your not awake enough to play seriously and decide to do this. For the sake of completeness, I would ask anyone who is helpful enough to contribute to this effort not to offer much data if its under 500 plucks, luck is a fickle mistress but 500 should be enough to wear her down. So anyway, on to my results:

700 Pikmin plucked on Final Destination:
164 Yellow 151 Red 170 Blue 113 White 102 Purple
23.4286% 21.5714% 24.2857% 16.1429% 14.5714%

Its been suggested before, and the simple %s of 23.3% 23.3% 23.3% 15% 15% work very nicely, averaging each section brings you startlingly close to these numbers.

With that pretty strongly supported now, the process needs only be repeated on other stages. Seeing as while interesting to casual players, this would seem more important to competative players, I suggest we focus on tournament neutral stages and counter picks. If anyone would like to do any of these: Battlefield, Bridge of Eldin, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Castle Siege, Smashville, or Pokemon Stadium 1, it'd be appreciated. Even redoing tests can't hurt, though I do now believe if these patterns exist, they are going to be as obvious as the FD ratio.

The other suggestion we have so far was specific to ground type plucked from. While this is not an issue on most stages, my next test is going to be exploring for heavy single colored plucking in reasonable places, such as the blue heavy ice area mentioned above. If this is the case obviously we won't need to do a bunch of tests on each individual stage, it may be completely balanced on the neutral stages as there are no real different terrain types on them.

-True

*Update* So its certainly map specific in a logical way. I didn't take numbers, but Summit certainly offers an increased blue pikmin rate, for logical reasons. Without taking statistics, my 15 minutes of plucking led me to strong believe its right about 33% for blue pikmin on that map. I can't tell you where those pikmin are made up from, if it takes evenly from the other four colors or what, but if you bother for even 5 minutes there, you'll see 2 of any given set of 6 pikmin (disposing of them all each time and drawing 6 new) will almost always result in at least 2 blue pikmin. Also of note is this isn't affected by where you pluck pikmin. Of that 15 minutes 10 was spent strictly plucking from whatever non ice areas i could find on the stage just to confirm this, which it was. I'm headed out of town this weekend, so probably won't get any more numbers till at least middle of next week at the earliest, anyone willing to help out its not hard, feel free to step up.

fums63

Smash Apprentice
So, I started this project to remove all doubt from this subject, as seemingly minor though it may be =P

Most of the way through my third year in a science major I can be sure of one thing, data is all one has to go off of, and the more of it you've got that you can use, the better =P It makes sense, that thing everyone learns in high school and even grade school... remove random error by conducting multiple tests yada yada... So anyone thats gonna contribute I urge you to follow lofty ideas of pulling/recording pikmin till your blue, or white or purple or red or yellow... Anyway, my goal was 1000 plucks on Final Destination, assuming we'd use FD as the standard by which we compare other stages by. I got to 700, which I will say is not an easy or fun task, especially later on at night when your not awake enough to play seriously and decide to do this. For the sake of completeness, I would ask anyone who is helpful enough to contribute to this effort not to offer much data if its under 500 plucks, luck is a fickle mistress but 500 should be enough to wear her down. So anyway, on to my results:

700 Pikmin plucked on Final Destination:
164 Yellow 151 Red 170 Blue 113 White 102 Purple
23.4286% 21.5714% 24.2857% 16.1429% 14.5714%

Its been suggested before, and the simple %s of 23.3% 23.3% 23.3% 15% 15% work very nicely, averaging each section brings you startlingly close to these numbers.

With that pretty strongly supported now, the process needs only be repeated on other stages. Seeing as while interesting to casual players, this would seem more important to competative players, I suggest we focus on tournament neutral stages and counter picks. If anyone would like to do any of these: Battlefield, Bridge of Eldin, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Castle Siege, Smashville, or Pokemon Stadium 1, it'd be appreciated. Even redoing tests can't hurt, though I do now believe if these patterns exist, they are going to be as obvious as the FD ratio.

The other suggestion we have so far was specific to ground type plucked from. While this is not an issue on most stages, my next test is going to be exploring for heavy single colored plucking in reasonable places, such as the blue heavy ice area mentioned above. If this is the case obviously we won't need to do a bunch of tests on each individual stage, it may be completely balanced on the neutral stages as there are no real different terrain types on them.

-True

*Update* So its certainly map specific in a logical way. I didn't take numbers, but Summit certainly offers an increased blue pikmin rate, for logical reasons. Without taking statistics, my 15 minutes of plucking led me to strong believe its right about 33% for blue pikmin on that map. I can't tell you where those pikmin are made up from, if it takes evenly from the other four colors or what, but if you bother for even 5 minutes there, you'll see 2 of any given set of 6 pikmin (disposing of them all each time and drawing 6 new) will almost always result in at least 2 blue pikmin. Also of note is this isn't affected by where you pluck pikmin. Of that 15 minutes 10 was spent strictly plucking from whatever non ice areas i could find on the stage just to confirm this, which it was. I'm headed out of town this weekend, so probably won't get any more numbers till at least middle of next week at the earliest, anyone willing to help out its not hard, feel free to step up.
well thank you. see what other stages get other pikmin if you can.

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
I'm too busy and lazy to test it right now, but if you guys wanna test it, my suggestion is to sit at the edge of a map and keep plucking. The Pikmin will fall off the edge as soon as you pluck, so you can pluck infinitely.

K1T3

Smash Lord
Anyone have any new stage info for which pikmin are easier to pluck on certain stages?

To me it seems that purple pikmin come flocking on the rock formation of pokemon stadium 1

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Ok rarity goes like this on FD as it is the only neuteral stage Red>Blue>Yellow>Purple>White

and moving from a kirby thread I posted in

Red Pikmin usually are used for smash attacks and are dangeous.
Yellow Pikmin can paralize you and are deadly mid-air.
Blue Pikmin grant Olimar the strongest trows in the game bar none and are usually used to start up comobs.
Purple Pikmin are melons huge hitboxs and are very deadly when used for spiking and smashing generally used for down-smashes.
White Pikmin WATCH OUT FOR THESE if Olimar side-b's one of these at you dodge or kill them imediatly they deal a whopping 54% if they complete their attack despite this they are rare and are devastating when used mid air

there are the pikmin rarities and properties.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
*face palm*

Really? I mean 11 posts must be a daunting task to read through, but you could at least notice the numbers and percents while casually scrolling down not bothering to look at anything...

I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to doing any more 700 pikmin pluck tests, I've been busy and its not exactly an exciting thing to do. I'm all about others helping out, but please take it seriously and don't post false information. It'd make sense to work on stages that haven't been posted before too (Only FD at this point). If there turns out to be differences on the neutral or even counter pick stages it truly is worth knowing, this is still as important of a topic now as it was then, simply hasn't gotten anywhere.

-True

K1T3

Smash Lord
Yeah this is the main thing I still need to work on and learn for Oli...
Doing the tests though as you've mentioned is not the most exciting tasks.
I was just curious what people have noticed while playing, though not based on sound empirical evidence it could still be useful to know even if it's just that it seems X pikmin is more common on Y stage.

On another note I'm saddened that walled stages and stages with walk off ledges seem to be heading in the ban direction as those tend to be good for Oli and help prevent getting gimped...

Cpt_EJ

Smash Cadet
I find myself having a lot of yellow pikmin on some stages, although i can't recall any of the stages.

Top Bottom