• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikmin Vs. The World, A Guide on Camping with Olimar (Last update-11/5)

Roarfang

Smash Cadet
Olimar shouldn't be camping he should be all up in that action. o-o Flick that C-Stick!

Roarfang

Smash Cadet
Olimar's priority is too low to play too offensively, and camping compliments his range.
Then obviously you don't kick *** enough with him. o-o

Olimar is GREAT being the center of attention and taking multiple foes at once. I only stick to the side when items are involved and that is only brief.

Olimar is a captain, therefore he should lead his men into war.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Well, I'm talking about competitive play, when your opponents aren't total morons.

I like your attitude, but you don't know what you're talking about.

I can't say any more or this post will be worth an infraction.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
In chess, using your king directly is definitely not the best option, as he is weaker and doesn't have as many options. Instead, it's much smarter to rely on your better pieces to fight your opponent in the king's stead, while keeping him safe, but still using him when able and when it would be beneficial. After all, even though the other pieces are indeed valuable, the biggest vulnerability you have is if Olimar, your king, were to be lost. So, the purpose of the other pieces, or pikmin, are to defend the King, and fight for him the majority of the time.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I assume the equivalent of the Queen is the Purple Pikmin. (:
I don't know about that. The Queen is powerful, like the purple pikmin, but it also lacks endurance, which the purple pikmin has plenty of. I think I would call the Queen the white pikmin, since they both lack endurance, and can cause a lot of damage. Perhaps the purples would be knights, who have a knack for getting out of sticky situations, like the purples with their endurance.

Fino

Smash Master
Yellow pikmin for queen, since yellow pikmin have bigger disjoints. That, and yellow pikmin are sexy... just like a queen should be.

See the similarity?

Man I would tap those two.

~Fino

Roarfang

Smash Cadet
In chess, using your king directly is definitely not the best option, as he is weaker and doesn't have as many options. Instead, it's much smarter to rely on your better pieces to fight your opponent in the king's stead, while keeping him safe, but still using him when able and when it would be beneficial. After all, even though the other pieces are indeed valuable, the biggest vulnerability you have is if Olimar, your king, were to be lost. So, the purpose of the other pieces, or pikmin, are to defend the King, and fight for him the majority of the time.
o-o Brawl > Chess. Comparing the two is blasphemous... and is a complete juxtaposition.

Sorry hilt but the GOOD captains fight with their men. Or were you saying he is the mediocre captain
Yes, good captains do fight with their men. Cowardice is NOT a good trait of captains. >o>; The cavalry must have their captain's support in order for victory.

Well, I'm talking about competitive play, when your opponents aren't total morons.

I like your attitude, but you don't know what you're talking about.

I can't say any more or this post will be worth an infraction.
That sounds like a personal problem.

And I never said anything about 'total morons'. That style of play works well on people of any intelligence. Depends on your own skill, if you are going to be ignorant and claim I don't know what I am talking about, then, I guess you just can't do it. ^W^

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
This thread is about camping, not chess or queen elizabeth. :mad::mad::mad:

Llumys

Smash Champion
Olimar wouldn't be as viable of a character if he couldn't spam as well as he can.

Anyone who knows what they're talking about should agree with me.

Anyone who uses a decent character and knows the MU will be able to beat an Olimar that's too offensive.

Fino

Smash Master
Olimar wouldn't be as viable of a character if he couldn't spam as well as he can.

Anyone who knows what they're talking about should agree with me.

Anyone who uses a decent character and knows the MU will be able to beat an Olimar that's too offensive.
I guess everyone I've played is a scrub then...

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
"Aggressive" is too general a word. If you're aggressive in the sense that you focus on zoning your opponent rather than actually attacking their shield directly, then playing aggressive can be a good strategy. In fact, that's what you have to do to fight Luigi well. Otherwise, he'll just zone YOU, eventually forcing you into a corner and thereby eliminating any retreating options you used to have.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Olimar has to control medium range really well when camping, and miking purples in there helps a whole lot when an enemy is approaching. I like having 2 purples but not in a row, like positions 3 and 6, it helps stop approaches so well.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Peach has temper problems, and Olimar's one of the best characters to get on people's nerves. It's only natural that you'd want to play offensively to get in her face, right?

In all seriousness, Olimar can't play offensively on a good part of the cast.

Fino

Smash Master
Peach has temper problems, and Olimar's one of the best characters to get on people's nerves. It's only natural that you'd want to play offensively to get in her face, right?

In all seriousness, Olimar can't play offensively on a good part of the cast.
Sure he can, you're just doing it wrong ;D

~Fino

Llumys

Smash Champion
Meh, whatever you say. I just don't believe a character with such low priority can play offensively well enough to beat the majority of the cast.

Noa.

Smash Master
It'd be nice if you explained more.

An aggressive style of Olimar can potentially be useful for some of Oli's more difficult matchups. You should tell us more to expose it to the world. Videos are one thing but an explanation would be nice.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I don't see why Olimar has the "best ranged attacks in the game", Fino. Pikmin are hurtable, breakable objects. For Olimar's Fsmash, if the opponent has something that can out prioritize them, they don't work like Marth's sword. The pikmin is hit and either knocked to the ground or killed. Kind of like samus' missiles.

Olimar's grab, which is also used for spacing is a problem if the opponent is able to get in fast, though it's not able to be "out prioritized", although Olimar's grab can be out spaced by attacks that don't even have as much range as it, the hitbox stays out a bit after the opponent is grab and pulled towards us, and will break the gr
ab.

Fino

Smash Master
I don't see why Olimar has the "best ranged attacks in the game", Fino. Pikmin are hurtable, breakable objects. For Olimar's Fsmash, if the opponent has something that can out prioritize them, they don't work like Marth's sword. The pikmin is hit and either knocked to the ground or killed. Kind of like samus' missiles.

Olimar's grab, which is also used for spacing is a problem if the opponent is able to get in fast, though it's not able to be "out prioritized", although Olimar's grab can be out spaced by attacks that don't even have as much range as it, the hitbox stays out a bit after the opponent is grab and pulled towards us, and will break the gr
ab.

Explain to me how high priority attacks that don't touch the opponents hurt boxes beat out attacks that do?
Yes, people can attack the pikmin attacks... though given that they're spaced... what is priority going to help?
Great, you've attacked a pikmin. -1 stock for olimar.... no? Look at what I said.

Say you space an fsmash towards snake who counters with an ftilt. Say he also happens to execute the ftilt in such a manor that the hitbox on the attack is neutralized (formality, it also kills the pikmin). What does that to do olimar? It sure as hell doesn't rack damage, nor does it cause any knockback. Olimar is in a situation where he can space himself again, maybe throw a few pikmin here and there.
This isn't even a "perfect olimar vs perfect snake" scenario. This happens when you fight a snake a lot. I bring up snake since it's our current match up discussion :laugh: But you see what I'm saying? If you space an attack, they have 4 options. Shield the attack, out prioritize the attack, dodge the attack, or get hit. Since we're talking about option two, and since we're talking about spacing, you would need to have an attack that not only out prioritizes olimar's attack, but one that out ranges it too. When we start talking about out-ranging olimar is when I start to lol. If the attack is out prioritized, but doesn't hit olimar, why does it matter that he's out prioritized?

~Fino

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Does that make the fact that Olimar has low priority and no grab armor not a problem? Sure, we're great when we can keep our opponent perfectly spaced from us, but what about when they're not? How do we deal with them when they close in on us to the point to where we have to rely on priority and not our spacing? Or are you saying that's not a problem?

it is

Priority DOES matter in a game of spacing. We see this every time we face luigi, or marth, or hell, even meta knight. Priority is very important in brawl and imagining it isn't is naive :/

Pretending our problem isn't a problem is only going to delay us from finding ways to advance.

Top Bottom