• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pirate Ship: how to abuse the stage and why it should be banned

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ya, I was off on the bomb times, as I found out when redoing my Pirate Ship data (The stage has a pattern! :D And the bombs are 2.5 seconds -> 5 seconds, I'll post the data later in it's own topic).

Also: banning rudder camping/stalling is much more clear cut and obvious than say circle camping. You can in fact accidentally circle camp to some extent. It can be as simple as "Oh shoot, need to avoid that move, hey, I'm on the other side of the circle, cool!" and ta-da: you've circle camped. Because of this, you need to ban the stage itself: the circle is a required part of the stage to use. However, with rudder camping/stalling, it's plainly obvious what you are doing. There is no reason to ever go under the rudder, other than to stall. It's not part of the normal fighting area, and it's nearly impossible to accidentally end up there. Because of it, you can indeed ban rudder camping/stalling.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I think everyone needs to remember that stalling (intentionally dragging something out) and stalling (The bbr definition) are two completely different things.

You can walk into a match with the expressed intention of stalling for as long as possible but you wont be stalling the match by simply playing as gay as possible.

For you to be stalling you must be making the game unplayable. Using a stupid and degenerate tactic is not banned unless it is stalling. Ruddercamping does not make the game unplayable in the vast majority of match-ups. In the match-ups that are made unplayable ruddercamping is stopped by the stage periodically changing which makes it acceptable in the same way that an infinite till 299% is fine.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I don't even really see why this is even a question. This is clearly abusing the stage in a way other than it was intended, for the purpose of stalling out the timer, whether you are attackable or not. It's no worse than circle camping on Spear Pillar. Just because Sonic and Captain Falcon can catch you, doesn't mean the tactic is legitimate. (Read: Just because a portion of the cast can stop rudder camping, doesn't mean it's legitimate.)

With that said, Rudder-camping/stalling is CLEARLY and discretely bannable, whereas circle camping is not.

If you go under the rudder and stay there for any length of time, you violate the stalling rules, and take whatever penalties are associated with such things.

Furthermore, most TOs who actually care aren't going to listen to you if you try to say, "But, it's not stalling, it's camping!" They're very likely just going to tell you to get out of there, or forfeit. I know I would.

This tactic is no reason to ban an otherwise legitimate stage, so ban the tactic first, not the stage. Pretty Simple.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Rudder camping is stupid. Just ban it/get someone to tell this person to stop what they're doing. If there was a glitch to go inside battlefield or FD, wouldn't one easily be able to see this and just stop it?

So, how is water camping bad? IMO it's much easier to deal with than planking, and you can't even plank on this stage. Many characters have plenty of options against characters camping in the water, because landing in the water causes the character to suffer large amounts of lag, and I believe there are many ways to attack a person in the water and actually receive a large advantage for many characters. There are only a select few characters who can even camp decently in the water.

No clue how hazards that give you like 2.5-5 seconds of warning, and elements that prevent easily beatable camping in 1 spot are bad.

Top Bottom