• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pitisabeastinteams! A Pit Doubles Discussion

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
TL is my 2nd best character. So Id have to say that TL would be the main attacker in this team while pit holds stocks and supports. If a TL plays like they normaly do, then it's best to just support because otherwise you might be in the way. pit could possible for the gimp/ kill after good dmg is racked up. or Vice versa. THey might be able to play both roles

This is probably a passive/defensive-semi aggressive team

Idk much since i've never actually done pit + TL in teams, im just throwing some info out there.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
TL is my secondary so i guess ill try to take a crack at giving some info.

They probably work best as a semi aggressive/passive. But can also work as defensive.

Finisher: Toon Link mostly, he has better kill options for the most part.

Damage Racker: It would probably be a mixture of the 2 of them. Though Pits better at it.

Supporter: They both do well in long range support.

Stock Holder: Pit with his recovery and what not everyone mention. Though Toon Links recovery is pretty decent too.

Spacing Master: Would be Toon Link, while his sword range isnt all that great. His zair and a multitude of projectiles makes him a great mid range fighter.

Multi-Tasker: Both characters multi task well.

I don't really pay too much attention to match ups so i'll let other people fill in the blanks there. But my opinion of this team is so so. I feel both the characters do okay in a 1v2 scenario. But i feel the characters may be too similar to cover all the bases. Similar strengths and weaknesses. Range is about the same. Killing potential is roughly the same too.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Dekar173

Justice Man
I dont see Diddy being much helpful to Pit, unless one maganes Naners, which even them alone harm the team. Pit may have good distance on his glidetoss, but the team would harm itself, especially Diddy to Pit.
The Chimp's better off in 1v1s and 1v1s only.... maybe unless it was a Nanerless Diddy, which are bad Diddys in general.
I remember seeing this post a while ago and thinking "that couldn't possibly be more wrong"

I play Diddy in doubles all of the time, and I must say, his ground lockdown is something that can't be trifled with in teams. Pit isn't the best compliment to Diddy, due to his lacking reliable kill moves, but Diddy definitely isn't a BAD choice for anyone in teams.

If you're struggling with a Diddy partner, it's either your fault, his, or a combination of the two of you ;)

Also: couldn't agree more with what's being said about TL and Pit as a combo. The diddy boards need a thread like this D:<

Dekar173

Justice Man
So how is that any more wrong than what he said?
He says

"Diddys are good for 1v1s and 1v1s only"

"Diddy would be more harmful to the team"

It was mainly these two things I disagreed with. I mean, save for the first statement "I dont see Diddy being much helpful to Pit" the entire post is incorrect, but those two statements above all others needed to be corrected :)

Get it? Or does it require further explanation, screwb?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
He says

"Diddys are good for 1v1s and 1v1s only"

"Diddy would be more harmful to the team"

It was mainly these two things I disagreed with. I mean, save for the first statement "I dont see Diddy being much helpful to Pit" the entire post is incorrect, but those two statements above all others needed to be corrected :)

Get it? Or does it require further explanation, screwb?
Still dont see the chimp being much use. I rather have a non-naner chimp than a naner chimp if i had to take a chimp in a 2v2.
It's not so much I'm against Diddy, but like Snake with (if you consider TA being on), a naner can harm his teammate. Even without TA on, opponents can still take control of one and use it against the team. It's a risky team, for a single trip could mean something, including falling to a powerful smash or something else.

Esca

Smash Champion
He said Diddy is better in 1 vs 1 situations. Are you reading this correctly? Or do you honestly think Diddy is better in teams than singles?

Sad excuse for a Diddy main. =/

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So u were trying to put words in my mouth, and forgot the "Diddy BETTER OFF in 1v1s" Part. Rather annoying do u not think to accuse me of something without reading the full print?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I had a few matches with a diddy main as my partner. It went over okay, it didnt cause too much trouble. I just never went anywhere near his bananas and stayed off the ground as much as possible. Basically letting diddy go nut and backing him up with aerial and long range support.

It seems to work okay with Pit taking care of the skies and Diddy taking the ground. The only problem being if i run into a character that is predominantly better in the air the Pit in 2 or more of the categories of attack, that being speed, range, and priority. It definitely cause problems for my team where we would have to change up the strategy, either more defensive or have Pit focus on the easier target.

Well thats only really my thoughts on the team combo.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Diddy is amazing in teams, especially with bananas. You guys are playing with mindless (bad) Diddys if they're disrupting their partner with their naners.

Esca, who's better, you or KY? (I'd think KY, unless if you've vastly improved over the past few months) I'll be seeing him next weekend, and I was thinking that maybe after I 3-stock him, you'll be able to shut your scrub mouth :D

Esca

Smash Champion
KY is better than me.

And considering I take Gnes to last stock high % (as of yesterday) I doubt your gonna be able to phase me.

And if I'm such a scrub, why do you care about me so much?

And you are a mindless (bad) diddy.

Esca

Smash Champion
Some random *** Diddy who thinks he's legit. He beat me at Whobo pretty bad, but considering it was my FIRST match of the entire week/weekend it's not a big deal.

Now he thinks he's legit, but at the end of the day, he realizes that he's a second rate player in a 3rd rate region with 4th rate players.

kown

Smash Lord
maniaclaryst > R@vyn.

and lolesca. You like to say second rate a lot now!! ccome back to houston slutt.

oh and wario is a good team mate for doubles.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
What about having a team mate that simply doesn't use projectiles, and is fast like... oh, I don't know, Captain Falcon?

Falcon can beast on offense, but will always need the help, that Pit can supply, due to his lack of reach and priority in some of his moves.

Meh, just my 2 cents.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I really won't get into falcon much due to the NOT FUNNY jokes involving him. However, all I know is that Falcon can perform the aggressive part of the team, as well as being half the Finisher of the team, too. Pit's part of the Finisher is simply to edgeguard and gimp opponents. He will also provide support for falcon at long range.
Falcon really shouldn't risk going off stage all the time due to his bad recovery, and he should let Pit edgeguard/gimp the off stage opponents if necessary.

I do remember teaming up with EPF (one of our very old Pit users) as Pit with his Falcon a long time ago, but then again the matches and opponents weren't really, how should i say this... few bad stages and not "Tired" players. Regardless, I would think that Pit would be better off defensive.

goodkid

Smash Lord
So how can Pit just fire an arrow over his partner without hitting him? Is there a certain curve to the arrow that allows this?

Coffee™

I need it....
Discussion on Pikachu starts now. I'm gonna start permantly teaming with ESAM and I wanna know what you guys can come up with...... :)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
So how can Pit just fire an arrow over his partner without hitting him? Is there a certain curve to the arrow that allows this?
Short hop, shoot, and aim. For the most part u should be over the character with a short hop. If they are taller, just jump higher.

As for Pika and Pit. I see it being similar to most of the teams. Where pit is the defensive, stock holder, damage racker, supporter. While Pika is the offensive, finisher, and partial supporter.

But i guess it could also work with both playing defensive camp mode. With pika in the front prepared with thunder jolts, thunder, and dsmash spam.

The only problem i could see is that both characters have some problem killing. And from what i saw from a bunch of Pika matches. Pika players who like using quick attack cancel need alot of space to do their work. But with Pit on the field as well. It might cause problems for both of them. Either making Pika change its strategy, or constantly damaging Pit as well. The Pit would also need to know the Pika very well so as to not run into the quick attacks and not accidentally kill Pika as he teleports around the stage in a some what erratic manner.

I imagine their edge guard tactics would be pretty sweet though. With walls of thunder along with pits arrows or even pit chasing them down, seems like a huge death trap.

Other combos that could work are like Pikas Fthrow into Pits F smash. Or Pikas Dthrow into Pits Bair. Or Pits F or B throw into Pika's Thunder.

But then again I've never liked Pika as a character or really spent much time using him. So my opinion could be completely wrong.

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
pika and Pit w0uld be a very annoying team... I mean arrows and thunder jolts...off stage they would rock 2 cuzz pika can thuder while pit shoots arrows.....A nice combo is to hold the oppenent and let pika thunder since his thunder has knock back on his body...

Esca

Smash Champion
I think this team has many options.

Firstly, this team is very unique, and would be weird to play against.

Pikachu is very versatile, has great aerial mobility and can duck Pit's arrows, which makes this an even better teammate for Pit, thus allowing him to be more lenient with arrows.

As dexta said, Pika's thunder is a VERY good move in this team.

However, Pika's neutral b is limited in this match believe it or not, because Pit can't always mirror shield in teams, and pika can't control the movement of his neutral b.

I'd like to see how this team works. Keep us posted on this R@VVN.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I never had experience with this, but I'll try to have my little input.

Pit + Pika input

1. What kind of team is Pit + Pikachu?

I find this team Semi-Passive/Semi-Aggressive, since both characters are capable of good aggression and defense, but I find the team to be more on the defensive side, both having projectiles and can support each other, and providing projectile pressure.

2. What roles two the two have in the team?

* Finisher: Both characters have some form of this, with Pit's amazing Edgeguarding, and actually, Pika can edgeguard too, with his own projectiles. Pit can pursue if he desires.

* Damage racker: Both Pit and Pika can do this.
-Pit: He has his string of multi-hit attacks and such, some CGs against large chars, F-throw to Stutterstep Fsmash from 0-30% at will.
-Pika: His variety of CGs against some characters are effective, especially against Fox.

* Supporter: Both characters can do this as well, if the 2 work together.
-Pit can shoot arrows freely and straight if Pika crawls. The Pika can also crawl towards the opponent and deliever D-tilts to the opponent without harm from straight arrows.
-Pika, again, with his variety of CGs, which work against certain characters in a particular pattern, and he can do this to allow Pit to fight an opponent smoothly on 1v1 if needed for a short time. If Pika does this on a Fox, Pit gots a lot of time.

* Stock holder: I would think that Pit and his great ledgecamping would make him the better stockholder, and he's also a bit heavier than Pika. Pika does okay with his own decent ledgecamp, and mindgames with QAC.

* Spacing master: Well umm, Pit gots better range, idk about this category.

* Multitasker: Pit has arrows, reflectors, few CGs on some chars, and all-around versatility. Pika has the better speed and has a few other things besides the CG. I would have to give this to Pit.

3. What can the two do to support each other?

Pit's +s for Pika
-Pit does a bit better against ROB than Pika does with Pit's ability to outcamp ROB.
-Pit's arrows are great in helping Pika from long range, simple as that.
-A good Pit and Pika team can use each Pika's thunder, that of which the Pika WON'T get hit by his own Thunder. In other words, Pika can cast a thunder, Pit can use a reflector to amplify the damage, while the Pika isn't going to hit hit by the Thunder.
-Pit and Pika together can make a very strong edgeguarding/gimping force.

Pika's +s for Pit
-Pika's CGs can hold off some chars (especially Fox) if Pika can get a hold of em, which allows Pit to have a good 1v1 for a bit.
-Pika's crouching allows Pit to shoot straight arrows as Pika crawls towards opponents and D-tilt em.
-Pika can assist Pit in edgeguarding and gimping with thunder jolts and thunder, making it much harder for opponents to recover.
-Pika does better against Sheik than Pit does

Also, the Pika CG list is here http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225783
When against certain characters, let Pika help Pit out.

According to the CG list, Pika can further help Pit by CGing Falco, Snake and MK, and a bit of Wario (which are Pit's troubling matchups.) in particular ways, which help Pit a lot.

4. What problems does the team have?

Both characters have a problem against Marth, G&W, and Olimar, (Broken MK is obvious). Both have bad melee range compared to some of the characters (like Marth) which can keep them from approaching well.

5. Is there something special that should be noted about the team?

Pit and Pika could be quite the strange but interesting team here, using both characters' capabilities to make an interesting defense, once again mentioning the good edgeguarding capabilities and the Arrows + Pika crawl thing.

The team would have just about the most problems with Marth, Olimar, G&W, and of course MK.

Both chars can CG, stating the obvious.
Back to Pika's CGs, if Pit can keep his own opponent away from Pika and his CGs (Some require F-throw), then the battle can be a bit smoother. The team's great projectile defense can be worth the while as well as its edgeguard defense. I would find some of these combinations bizarre but interesting (as if the Pit actually owned the Pika as a Pokemon), but that's my two cents about this.

Ending words

I would rate this team to be 8/10. Unlike Snake and Wario being with Pit, Pika and Pit really don't cover much of their bad matchups, and they both have many identical character weaknesses. However, they make up a bit of that with their projectiles making them very good for defense and edgeguarding, and where comes that, comes the many identical bad matchups, as listed up there.

I suppose

Coffee™

I need it....
Can any of you guys come up with ways to kill? That's the teams biggest problem, well besides MK and to a lesser extent GW and Marth.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit's gimping tactics and Pika's Thunder star KOs as if they were 1v1 matches with the individual character. If able to get an opponent off stage, once again as said before, great gimp rest with Pika jolts and thunder with Pit's own great and popular gimp tactics (arrows). Power isn't the team's main strategy.

Coffee™

I need it....
Pit's gimping tactics and Pika's Thunder star KOs as if they were 1v1 matches with the individual character. If able to get an opponent off stage, once again as said before, great gimp rest with Pika jolts and thunder with Pit's own great and popular gimp tactics (arrows). Power isn't the team's main strategy.
I'll try it out. Wario needs more input as well people

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
When I did my 1st online tourny a couple months ago I lost the finals to a good jiggz, but now he & I are teaming up on AIB's dubz ladder, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips for a Pit/Jiggz team. It'd be appreciated!

Coffee™

I need it....
When I did my 1st online tourny a couple months ago I lost the finals to a good jiggz, but now he & I are teaming up on AIB's dubz ladder, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips for a Pit/Jiggz team. It'd be appreciated!
I'd do Pit + Jiggs but I want to try to get the high tier / more popular characters out of the way first.

Discussion on Pit + GW begins now.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Again. I never had experience with this, but I'll try to have my little input and ideals.

Pit + G&W input

1. What kind of team is Pit + G&W?

I find this team Semi-Passive/Semi-Aggressive, since both characters are capable of good aggression and defense, but I find the team to be more on the defensive side, both having projectiles and can support each other, and providing projectile pressure.

2. What roles two the two have in the team?

* Finisher: G&W would fit better in this category with his powerful smashes. Pit would fit here a bit only if he was edgeguarding.

* Damage racker: Pit would fit better for this
-Pit has his string of multi-hit attacks and such, some CGs against large chars, F-throw to Stutterstep Fsmash from 0-30% at will. Pit's damage-racking can also allow G&W to keep his Power moves fresh when needed.

* Supporter: Though Pit would fit better in this category, both characters have some initial support.
-Pit's arrows are simply the main cause of his support. Using reflectors and edgeguarding recovering opponents further makes Pit a supporter. He's easily one of the best support characters in the game.
-G&W doesn't have too many weaknesses, and the priority of his B-air (which also destroys weak projectiles) could help Pit if Pit is occupied in a fight. Somewhat hard to explain here.

* Stock holder: Pit and G&W could both be stock holders when correctly used.
-Pit's great ledgecamping game and good recovery helps him out a lot. Pit is also heavier.
-G&W, even though he is light, when using the Bucket Brake thing (Fastest way to do it is N-air to Down-B after u get knocked back), G&W can last longer. Do keep in mind that the bucket Brake won't work if the bucket is already full.
Pit would fit better in this.

* Spacing master: The B-air of G&W is naturally dangerous to those with bad range, and ruins shields. G&W would win this, but a bit of honorable mentions to a Pit spacing with a combination of F-airs and Arrows.

* Multitasker: Pit has arrows, reflectors, few CGs on some chars, and all-around versatility. G&W has the threatening B-air, and some powerful smashes, as well as bucketing some projectiles. This would probably go to Pit mostly.

3. What can the two do to support each other?

Pit's +s for G&W
-Pit does slightly better against Marth than G&W does, even though Pit still has a disadvantage against Marth.
-Pit does better against Snake than G&W does; Pit goes 45:55 to 50:50 even with Snake.
-Pit does better against Diddy than G&W does; 50:50 for Pit
-Pit does better against Marth, Snake, Diddy, and DK than G&W does. Note that Pit still has a disadvantage against Marth, and that G&W is 50:50 with DK.

G&W's +s for Pit
-G&W does better against the Mother Kids than Pit does, even though Pit is just about even with them.
-G&W does better against Olimar than Pit does; Olimar is one of Pit's bad matchups.
-G&W does better against Falco, Kirby, and TL than Pit does; these 3 chars have around a 55:45 advantage against Pit.
-G&W does better against all space animals than Pit does.
-The following are all the characters G&W can fight against better than Pit: Lucas, Ness, Zelda, Luigi, Pika, Fox, Peach, Yoshi, Mario, Sonic, PT, Samus, ROB, ICs, Lucario, Sheik, Wolf, Kirby, Falco, D3, TL, Olimar, and Wario. G&W can also handle another Pit well, considering there being a Pit on the opponent's team.

The more notable ones are Falco, Olimar, Wario, ROB, Kirby, and TL, which all have some advantage over Pit (ROB and TL being 50:50 to Pit has been debated before).

4. What problems does the team have?

Both characters have a problem against Marth, a bit of Snake (G&W mostly), and of course, Broken MK.

5. Is there something special that should be noted about the team?

Pit and G&W make a decent team. Pit can fill up the bucket, and minimum charging of 3 arrows allow the bucket to do 42% damage (tested in Training mode), which can be quick kills. Keep in mind that G&W will have a bit of lag when absorbing the first 2 projectiles, so wait for the right opportunity to do so.

The team would have just about the most problems with Marth, Snake, and MK, as mentioned before.

Both characters cover some of each other's matchup problems, more so G&W to Pit. Pit just about covers 2 outta 4 of G&W's Bad matchups (Diddy and Snake), does slightly better against just about his worst matchup (marth), and does better against an even matchup (DK).

Ending words

I would rate this team to be 8/10. Pit has a lot of bad matchups that G&W does good at, which again, are Falco, Olimar, Wario, ROB, Kirby, and TL. (once again, ROB and TL being even with Pit has been debated before). This would make Pit somewhat dependant on G&W when fighting one of his bad matchups. G&W would probably have to be dependant on Pit to deal with Snake, and a bit of Diddy, and perhaps Marth, even though both of them are weak against Marth.
The team could handle just about almost every character if they know their matchups and fight whichever one of the 2 opponents favors their character best. Having Matchup experience would help to both players, especially the Pit, should he ever come across one of his bad matchups. Though Pit would be the one to have more trouble due to many of his bad matchups, he can support G&W with Snake and Diddy trouble, and a bit of Marth.

Nothing much I can say.

Coffee™

I need it....
Is kirby popular enough to be discussed sooner? :D
Not really but sure we can discuss him next :laugh:

I think Kirby + Pit sucks though. :ohwell:

* Spacing master: The B-air of G&W is naturally dangerous to those with bad range, and ruins shields. G&W would win this, but a bit of honorable mentions to a Pit spacing with a combination of F-airs and Arrows
Bair sucks. Just DI out of it and smash / grab him. He'll get away with it more in doubles than singles but still the concept is the same.

-G&W does better against Falco, Kirby, and TL than Pit does; these 3 chars have around a 55:45 advantage against Pit.
Falco, yeh, TL, maaaybe, Kirby...nah. Imo I think he loses to Pit. Just punish his Bair OoS every time and he doesn't really have anything else on Pit.

-G&W does better against all space animals than Pit does.
-The following are all the characters G&W can fight against better than Pit: Lucas, Ness, Zelda, Luigi, Pika, Fox, Peach, Yoshi, Mario, Sonic, PT, Samus, ROB, ICs, Lucario, Sheik, Wolf, Kirby, Falco, D3, TL, Olimar, and Wario.
No comment... :confused:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
*cough* I was going by the old G&W ratios (until they actually update it), but it gives an ideal to the Pit players, somewhat.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I know this is outdated, but there is some good info in here. A lot of the great Pit information is lost in these old threads.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, since it has been bumped already, I should say that I have been working on this using the format now modified by me for a bit of time. Since I came to a wall in gathering 1v1 Pit matchup info, as in being stuck atm, I've went on doing the Pit partners discussion list with ratings and all that.
Idk how long I can last with this like the singles project I have been working on, but the point is that I'm not completely out yet.

Katana_koden

Smash Ace
Its a team effort, that's the point of the boards. And all the work we develop, the credit goes to pit. We would appreciate your input though. Rather we agree or disagree, Everything comes together properly.

Noticed how many times you said "I". That's pit + 37 possible partners and summaries + metagame + combo, strats, etc. That's way too much to experience to do alone.

I have a snake partner, maybe I can write about that.

Top Bottom