• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Pit's edge game on both sides. [Discuss]

Ayoub

Smash Ace
Pit's edge game
on both sides.

What to do?

- - -​

So, you probably wonder what I ment with the title. Well, I want to discuss in this thread about Pits options while edgeguarding other characters. And when being edgeguard.

I, myself, have some problems sometimes when I'm on the edge and I'm gettind edgeguarded. Especially against Marth. So, what are Pits options against certain characters. How do you mix things up, what options does he have in general, and what options are the best? What option should be like, never used? (Rolling, imo), etc...

On the other side; edgeguarding. What to do? You can answer some questions, for example:

[Character]
  • What are this characters best ledge options? (They'll use those the most)
  • Should I chase him offstage, or try and gimp him/her/it with arrows.
  • Can I mirrorsheild his/her/it's recovery?
  • Can we dtilt spike him/her/it while hanging on the edge?
  • What are my chances getting gimped myself by going offstage.
And think of some other stuff.

I hope we're able to start discussions about every character. And make a defenitive list of questions, which I can put up in this post. So we can put up a sort of Q/A for every character.

Give me some more example of answers; and your answers ofcourse, we're going to start with Pit edgeguarding others.

Let's go!

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
MK is so good @ edgeguarding Pit, lol. Don't ledgecamp vs him if he knows to just jump at the ledge and nair.

Pit is very good at ledgecamping D3, Snake, Fox, Wolf, Luigi, Sonic...

Pit is bad at ledgecamping MK, ICs, G&W, ZSS, Ike, Mario...

He's even w/ Pikachu, Falco, and...more.

My list is incomplete.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
In my honest opinion, I think Pit is one of the best edge guarders in the game. He can basically turn from being edge guarded, to being the one edge guarding his opponent. Of course, he isn't the best edge guarder, and he does have trouble competing with the other elite edge guarders, such as MK and Marth.

When he's edge guarding, he has many options (probably the most out of any character except Meta Knight) to take. He can camp on the ledge and try to gimp with Arrows, he can chase the enemy off stage to lengths that not many other characters can go, he can chase the enemy off stage from below, he can chase the enemy off stage from above, he can take action against enemies trying to recover high, he can take advantage of enemies recovering low, he can reflect recoveries with Mirror Shield, etc., etc., etc.

Pit will always have an option to take against each and every character in terms of edge guarding. The trick is finding what method of edge guarding works best for each individual character. For characters with few jumps, you can shoot Arrows at them and impede their recovery. For characters with many jumps, you can chase them off stage and push them further away, just be careful not to have the tables turned on you. We have found out many things about edge guarding, but it's always good to experiment and find out what's works best for each character. It's also good to find out what method of edge guarding works best against your opponents playstyle as well.

Even though Pit will always have an edge guarding option to take against every character, that does not mean that he will find edge guarding all characters a piece of cake. There are characters that are difficult to edge guard, but fortunately, they are not impossible. Characters such as Meta Knight, Marth, Ike, G&W, ZSS, and Mario are hard to edge guard, but as I said there is always an option to take, so try to find the best one on each character.

Another good aspect of Pit is that he can turn the tables easily if your opponent is overconfident in his edge guarding. I usually go very low, and if an opponent follows me, I'll usually counter attack with an aerial. Pit's aerials are great for turning the tables and make you the edge guarder instead of your opponent.

In my opinion, I believe Pit is one of the best edge guarders, and that it is one of his strong points. Although, I'm not saying he's' the best, but he should be considered as one of the top edge guarders.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Chasing or arrow shots is purely situational, not based on the character - but your opponent.

The the safer option is to shoot arrows, it's at least guarenteed damage (assuming you're hitting..) while chasing offstage risks you dying.

If you do chase offstage, always remember to do that WoI thing and attack before getting hit/it wearing off. That one extra jump you save is a lifesaver.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
wow i <3 u ayoub for making this pits need to do this shiz more often pit is great at edgeguarding and LMAO pft pit cant be edgeguarded against even against marth its not that hard to plank on a marth and theres always the option of ledge hop canceled by doing z-cancel WoI which basically gives u a no lag free shield onto the stage or just stand up even pros dont punish that 80% of the time or just plank which is viable and most will bk off after a bit btw doing my research paper atm so ill get bk on here to post more later

Ayoub

Smash Ace
Susa - Well, I don't think so. I'd rather chase a snake offstage and give him a couple of fairs then hit him with some arrows. (I might misunderstood you, since my english isn't great; I apologize).

Kuro - <3 you too. xD

Anyway. my opionion, and I'll start with Marth.

Marth is annoying, fast and has a lot of range. When I play vs a good Marth (like Mr. R) he ***** me in edgeguarding. When Marth just jumps while you're at the edge, most of your opinions are limmited already. You can't jump, getupattack without getting punished. Punishing getup is kinda hard, but he can do it to with a jump (wait) and fair. You might be able to roll, but rolling sucks and get you punished aswell. So, what option do you got left? Leave the edge and shoot an arrow, and uair. Edgedrop » jump » airdodge gets you punished aswell... So.

Edguarding Marth is hard aswell.

- What are Marths best ledge options?
He has a great getup, jump, and can leave the edge and fair without jumping and hit you still.
- Should I chase him offstage, or try and gimp him with arrows?
I wouldnt chase a Marth, the chances of getting stagespiked are way too big. If you get stagespiked and don't die, you're back in a bad position anyway, since he'll edgeguard you now. Arrows can gimp Marth, if you get his jump, you can get a free edgeguard wich can lead to the kill or Marth will land on stage and you'll get a free punishment.
- Can I mirrorsheild his recovery?
Yes, you can. But I wouldn't try too much if I were you.
- Can we dtilt spike him while he's hanging on the edge?
No, we can't. He has to jump towards you. Don't try, since he can ledgedrop » fair if you get close.
- What are my chances getting gimped myself by going offstage.
Big, if you go offstage and he'll get you with fair or dolphin smash, and you won't die because of the stagespike. You'll have to waste all of your jumps just to get close to the stage, and Marh is great at gimping Pit out of his Up-B.

Oh and if Marth predicts a edgedrop » arrow, he can spike you. So be aware!
(If this all looks too pessimistic, I hate Marth that's why. xD)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Susa - Well, I don't think so. I'd rather chase a snake offstage and give him a couple of fairs then hit him with some arrows. (I might misunderstood you, since my english isn't great; I apologize).

Kuro - <3 you too. xD

Anyway. my opionion, and I'll start with Marth.

Marth is annoying, fast and has a lot of range. When I play vs a good Marth (like Mr. R) he ***** me in edgeguarding. When Marth just jumps while you're at the edge, most of your opinions are limmited already. You can't jump, getupattack without getting punished. Punishing getup is kinda hard, but he can do it to with a jump (wait) and fair. You might be able to roll, but rolling sucks and get you punished aswell. So, what option do you got left? Leave the edge and shoot an arrow, and uair. Edgedrop » jump » airdodge gets you punished aswell... So.

Edguarding Marth is hard aswell.

- What are Marths best ledge options?
He has a great getup, jump, and can leave the edge and fair without jumping and hit you still.
- Should I chase him offstage, or try and gimp him with arrows?
I wouldnt chase a Marth, the chances of getting stagespiked are way too big. If you get stagespiked and don't die, you're back in a bad position anyway, since he'll edgeguard you now. Arrows can gimp Marth, if you get his jump, you can get a free edgeguard wich can lead to the kill or Marth will land on stage and you'll get a free punishment.
- Can I mirrorsheild his recovery?
Yes, you can. But I wouldn't try too much if I were you.
- Can we dtilt spike him while he's hanging on the edge?
No, we can't. He has to jump towards you. Don't try, since he can ledgedrop » fair if you get close.
- What are my chances getting gimped myself by going offstage.
Big, if you go offstage and he'll get you with fair or dolphin smash, and you won't die because of the stagespike. You'll have to waste all of your jumps just to get close to the stage, and Marh is great at gimping Pit out of his Up-B.

Oh and if Marth predicts a edgedrop » arrow, he can spike you. So be aware!
(If this all looks too pessimistic, I hate Marth that's why. xD)
well heres my opinion my friend sat me down for like an hour and said "ima help u with matchups, who is hard to fight?" so i fought his marth till i consistently two stockedhim and then moved on to mk which is still hit or miss situation anyways...

most marths do the fair to up-b very quickly and out of habit its just reaction so one way to catch them off guard and put things at your own speed is to mirror shield the fair which is not that hard that turns them around so one of two things happen 1) they do what will prolly happen the first time and do up-b b4 noticing they turned around or 2) they'll wait to make sure the up-b hits the edge either one increases ur success of edgeguarding

MARTHS EDGE ATTACK IS TERRIBLE (all of em are imo) so two things if u see it coming mirror shield he'll be turned around ON stage so no shield poke bullshi can happen and results in a free forward smash. if theres one thing about florida even in tourney we arent afraid to take that risk so if u see the pattern in his fair ledge dropped planking its possible to get a bair in their very possible just make sure u KNOW the timing as for how to not get edgeguarded...
uair works sweet jumping away arrows are decent in this mu but not great so dont do it too much marth can punish those pretty ez again learn to cancel ur ledgehop with WoI z-cancel it really does keep u from getting edgeguarded 90% of the time

if marth is up and away just shoot arrows if hes parallel to the stage shoot an arrow and then chase but be wary of ur position if hes below the stage only attack from behind him not in front of him cuz his fair and up-B can result in a gay stage spike those are my opinions on marth so ya...gl with mr.r ayoub :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ayoub

Smash Ace
Hahaha, I'll never be able to beat Mr. R, nor will I ever be able to mirrorsheild him. D:

My next opinion will be about MK, coming soon. (I'm at school atm).

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Edgeguaring a good Marth is hard for me, I'm always scared of a tipper dolphin slash :urg: :urg: :urg:

To me, Pits planking seems above average but not incredible. This is probably due to the fact that I have a heart and don't plank very often even though I should :ohwell:

SuSa

Banned via Administration
AyouB, you brought up a good point that I accidentally overlooked considering I was trying to reply quickly.

For characters that aren't horrendously bad at recovering we shouldn't go offstage to try and kill them, unless you know the opponent well enough.

Anyways.... back to breaking my Brawl disc til it works. >:

Ayoub

Smash Ace
Edgeguaring a good Marth is hard for me, I'm always scared of a tipper dolphin slash :urg: :urg: :urg:

To me, Pits planking seems above average but not incredible. This is probably due to the fact that I have a heart and don't plank very often even though I should :ohwell:
Lol, I have that too. xD I can't plank a lot, unless it's for the lulz.

KoolAid - What characters exactly?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
planking is fun to me o.o its funny pissing the hell outta of ppl and watching them squirm while trying to figure a way around it =3 i dont have any problems planking against anyone even IC'S lol only one i dont plank on is ike...too dangerous

dskank

Smash Journeyman
dont try to plank him as much on smash vil cause that moving platform can **** us up, and on stages with a strong decline like cruise, edge garding snake is really what makes this match, dealling damage and gimping with fair, punishing landing lad with grabs good shee
and always use the wind push on woi to push grenades away from the ledge

Top Bottom