• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Least Used/Worst Moves

Pokkit

Smash Cadet
Someone suggested in the fixing the Pit boards thread that we look at a thread involving characters' metagames. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=237873 This is that thread. For those who don't wish to read that post (It's not very long), it's main point centers around exploring all possibilities and experimenting with different moves in an attempt to find something not seen before.

In the interest of "going back to basics", I'd like this thread to detail Pit's least used or worst moves. Obviously, I haven't been around here for very long, but new people can help infuse new energy in these boards, while the veterans of the board can offer their knowledge and expertise to flesh out ideas. If we can detail why certain moves are bad or used the least, maybe we can figure out some way around them or a different way of using them.

Since I haven't been maining Pit for very long compared to Rogue or Sagemoon, please correct me if I say something wrong. At the very least, one person will have gained knowledge about his main.

I'll start with Angel Ring. I think this moved is not used often because of the excessive lag after it's done, as well as having Mirror Shield to accomplish a similar purpose. It can't really combo into anything, and more experienced players can easily get around it. However, I recently played a match on Luigi's Mansion (balanced brawl version) against my friend playing as Kirby. Arrows are not quite as useful on that stage, and my friend was keeping the fight on the ground and pressuring well. Amazing Ampharos was watching and suggested that because of the excessive ground time in the fight, I use Angel Ring a bit more. I agree. With a little extra AR usage, Kirby didn't pressure me as much with his aerials and had to restrict his usage of his Up-B. I didn't necessarily have to use it a lot, but I definitely made the Kirby aware that I still had AR and would use it to annoy him.

So, essentially, in a match in which the opponent is forcing a lot of ground time, AR can be a useful tool to limit pressure and keep the opponent at bay.

If anyone has more suggestions concerning Angel Ring or ANY other move, please do so.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
I rarely use Angel Ring these days, except ledge hopping it to annoy my opponent if they get too close when I'm on the ledge. It can be effective to use ledge hopped arrows, and when your opponent is forced to approach, use the AR slide ledge hop to deal some damage and get some space.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I very rarely use dsmash because it's range is not that great and I can never seem to be in a situation where I can use dsmash rofl

kown

Smash Lord
Angel Ring, Nair, ftilt, (sometimes dependent on opponents char) and from watching other ppl play, they dont use bair to kill.

Pokkit

Smash Cadet
Angel Ring, Nair, ftilt, (sometimes dependent on opponents char) and from watching other ppl play, they dont use bair to kill.
Why would people not use Nair often? It's a decently fast attack, but the most useful thing I can think of is how it eats shields. Against a shielding opponent, a properly timed Nair can eat a shield to the point where the last hit or 2 of the Nair will hit the opponent. Granted, I saw this in a video of Pit vs. DDD, so it could be restricted just to larger characters, but it seemed to work in friendlies I've played. I suppose it could be easy to shield-grab, but what if you went through your opponent using Nair instead of at your opponent?

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
tall characters should fear neutral air
but against mini's like meta the uses are rare
Nair is also used to stop a projectile
Which is always able to make me smile
the least useful is of course angel ring
its use will most likely the asswhooping bring

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
I very rarely use dsmash because it's range is not that great and I can never seem to be in a situation where I can use dsmash rofl
HAHA! I REMEMBER YOU! You called me noob today cuz I was kicking that arse w/ MK and pit! Lmaooooo.

on topic: idk, Dair doesnt seem to be used as often as it could be. SH dair works wonders on some people.

Pokkit

Smash Cadet
on topic: idk, Dair doesnt seem to be used as often as it could be. SH dair works wonders on some people.
I would think that SH over someone while Dair and landing on the other side could be a good tactic. Doesn't MK do something similar to that? Jump-->Dair-->jump-->Dair-->jump--Dair....aircamping, is it?

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
I would think that SH over someone while Dair and landing on the other side could be a good tactic. Doesn't MK do something similar to that? Jump-->Dair-->jump-->Dair-->jump--Dair....aircamping, is it?
Yea, He does. I think pits dair has a longer Vertical range but shorter horizontal. I've tried Dair camping before w/ pit. IT Sort of worked. Only one hit since the dair sends you flying upwards. and some attacks can get through.
Gimping with it does no help at all since it just sends ppl upwards but using it Dair (I think it's FH) at lower %'s depending on the character can lead to a possible footstool combo.

That's my take on it.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I use every one of Pit's moves that seem appropriate to the matchup. I would say that I don't see much U-tilt from other Pit players. I don't see much F-tilt due to it's lag. I do think all of Pit's attacks are great, some more useful than others, and the rest can be situational.

Byuusan

Smash Journeyman
When i was still playing, Angel ring (Due to excessive lag and uses) and Usmash(Which is totally useless) are the 2 moves i rarely if ever use back then.

I found uses for dsmash, it called powershield punishing. And a good amount of my kills are from Dsmash, im a terrible gimper.

Pokkit

Smash Cadet
I have found that with correct timing, a sort of false DACUS can occur. I actually did it at one point and fooled one of my friends into thinking I did a DACUS with Pit. Pit does slide a bit if you dash and then Usmash. I suppose that could possibly be useful in regular situations in which DACUS would be useful, but I think it would also be limited because of the reduced amount of sliding due to the attack not actually being a DACUS. Pit just doesn't go as far, which means Pit will probably end up being right in front of the opponent and will be punished.

Again, Usmash is a pretty situational attack.

On the topic of the Dair--I think it can be useful in gimping off-stage. If you don't have quite enough practice sweet-spotting the Bair, Dair can be used to keep your opponent in the air. You could possibly use Dair and then get back to the stage and shoot a few arrows. Then again, why not use Fair? Maybe for mindgames? Maybe the position just isn't right for Fair? Maybe you mistimed the jump and can land only a Dair and not an Fair?

According to the sticky guides, isn't Utilt one of Pit's most useful tilts/attacks? It hits several times and has a disjointed hit box, and it also sets up for juggling combos at low %.

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, its one of Pit's fastest moves to juggle with, but the only problem is the small hitbox. I remember there was a jab variation that (Esca I think?) posted to link into an utilt.

!kown What's an AD again? x.x

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I think all of Pits attacks are useful. They all have a point in time when they can and should be used. Up smash maybe, its not all that powerful at knock back, and takes a while to finish the move, so it tends to leave u open alot more then most other moves of pit.

I also find Angel Rings quite useful. I find it more of a defensive move rather then offensive. Its good to use as a quick dash right before you hit the ground. It constantly saves me from would be counter attacks that would have hit me during landing lag. Its also a useful defense against glide tossing characters such as Peach or Rob. It is also useful against people who predictably dash into you all the time for like a grab or dash attack.
As for offensive. Its useful as both a combo finisher on the ground, when no other hits will land, instead of using an arrow. It can also be useful in combos that are in the air as i stated in some thread a while ago. If an enemy is caught in AR as you descend and you end AR at near the exact moment Pit hits the ground. There is minimal ending lag for you. And due to the way AR works, your enemy is unusually ends up in a bad position, usually just above the ground, not really high enough to do much of anything. I also assume that most opponents wouldnt see this coming since it would be logical to keep AR going since they are trapped in it. I have a few matches online where i make use of this for those non believers. lol.

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
I just picked up Pit today as a Main for what could be for ever. Angelic Stepping and WingDashing/cancelling are just too amazing.lol That being said and those being used Pit doesn't have a worst move. A good amount of them being situational. Pit's game is varied too much to say there is a worst move for him. If there is a least used, it's personal preference to another move, and the match-up.

I don't understand why people dislike the Nair, though. It has a nice movement to it that Fair and Bair don't quite get.

Usmash is nice as a hyphen smash.

Angel Ring is just unfair against some character approaches, imo.:p

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
In what situations is a f-tilt good? F-smash is much more powerful, and jab is faster. F-tilt has bad ending lag, and mediocre knockback. Is reach is not that impressive either, I just don't know what to do with it.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
its not completely useful. Wave bouncing is nice and every. But with pit it doesnt have alot of use. He doesnt move all that far, and he can change momentum by urself anyway. Plus its alot harder to aim a wave bounced arrow since you have the button commands before it to deal with and then having to deal with aiming the arrow too its a little bothersome for just 5% damage. Plus its slower then just normal shots which is more hurtful then helpful. With all the things you can do with arrows. A manual wave bounce seems rather trivial to me.

Yes i love ftilt. Its got the most range of pits attacks, combine that with a slide and you got huge range. Plus you get les vertical knockback then fsmash which is good for dealing with gimpable opponents. But mostly if your trying to out range someone on the ground. This would probably be your best bet. Plus it allows you to save fsmash for kills, the less you have to rely on fsmash the better.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
F-tilt for Pit provides more reach than all of Pit's other moves, even the F-air, and this move can really pick off Airdodging fastfallers . Basically, if someone is in the air and is coming down, u know that they may airdodge to avoid attacks. Time it right, and F-tilt may hit them.
In a Pit ditto, it beats the infinite jab and Angel Ring smoothly. F-tilt has been underrated though.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
how much farther does it hit then a stutter stepped f-smash? And saving f-smash isn't that good of an idea, it does 19% fresh, it works really well to help rack damage, and its fast and effective. Normally for kills I use bair, its usually more effective.

If an opponent is air-dodging to the ground, rather than f-tilting you could SH nair, or use f-smash, or even go for a grab.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Fsmash is one of Pit's only kill moves, the 2nd best when not stale. In first is the sweetspotted B-air, the third would probably be Dsmash or Glide attack.

Fsmash may be good at damage, but keeping it fresh a bit will be beneficial, and keep in mind that Pit could be shieldgrabbed in between Fsmash slashes, or the opponent can DI outta the Fsmash before the 2nd hit.

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
B-air doesnt have a sweetspot Admiral...And for all u pllz sayin uptilt isnt good ur crazyyy...its one of the best things to do when in close combat or facing the other way...And I use bair a lot to kill even though its hard..U just have to mindgame with it....

The one pit move that i hardly use is probably AR... reason being is because if they get behind u prepare urself to get hit no questions asked..ON teams however it works nicely because if both oppenents are off stage u can use it and have ur partner cover ur back..

Nair is a beautiful move btw since It has no cool down time

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
B-air doesnt have a sweetspot Admiral...
Explain y B-air can do either 7% from its lingering hitbox and 15% at the start of which Pit stabs.
It's a freaking sweetspot, just one of the much more easier sweetspots to land in the game.

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
@ dexta: Bair.....Sorta does have a sweet spot bro o.o

Edit: dunno why I didnt just quote... >.<
Explain y B-air can do either 7% from its lingering hitbox and 15% at the start of which Pit stabs.
It's a freaking sweetspot, just one of the much more easier sweetspots to land in the game.
By def. its not....meh idc to explain...

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Hahaha, man As a Samus main we need to use smash's to get people away from us so we get space but we also need to save them up for KO'ing as that's her main weakness, so I'd say use Pts Fsmash until the enemy has around 50% by the time he's in kill range if you haven't touched his F smash it should be almost fully refreshed

also B air totally has a sweetspot -.-

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
bair does not have a sweet spot by def.

Sweet n sour spots r out at the same time. IN sweetspots, spacing is the issue. marths tippers are sweetspots.Pits bair comes out first than his weak part. Time is the issue not spacing...

Coffee™

I need it....
Bair doesn't have a "sweet spot" exactly. It just has more knock back in the initial frames of it's execution.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
lingering hitbox means its not a sweetspot, just that the longer the move is out the weaker it gets. Just use it like a regular hit and hit with the start of the move, it isn't a sweetspot. Its related to time the move is out, not what part of the move you hit with. Ergo, it isn't a sweetspot.

Top Bottom