• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pity Smash - Can you get rid of it?

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
-----------------------------------
Final edit / Conclusions :

Alright, so a Pity Smash occurs when you are at a certain deficit of lives, probably arounda -4 from the other person, or at least equally bad in whatever mode is being played. As such, this feature would have no real affect on game balance for tournaments, as tournament stock matches will not have more then 4 stock.

...whether or not both conditions of 1) Smash balls need to be defiend as OFF , and/or 2) Item frequency must be turned to NONE, regardless of item ON/OFF settings , is what will determine if Pity smashes occur, we are not 100% positive. Miore testing is needed to determine that.

Overall however, no matter the situation, if one person is in sucha large deficit in the game, the single Final Smash they get as a result, should not really affect game balance since they are already down so many lives. Situationally, in brawls it can screw you over, but the odds of that are still relatively low and will not affect tournamrnt play or even normal play by much, at least not amongst decent opponents.
----------------------------------

Edit: (Okay, so I've been told of Pity Smashes now, but the better argument here now seems to be "Is there a way to dis-allow Pity smashes, besides changing the options to have fewer lives in a stock match?")

-----------------------------------

Original Post :

Alright guys, I regret to inform you that I believe I have found a bug in the game, and one the could potentially casue problems during tournament, or even just regular play. if this is a repeat of soemthign someone else found, or a thread that was already made, I apologize, but I did a rather extensive search adn found nothing.

The Bug : Sometimes, (and we have no idea how it happens or what triggers it), when a character dies, they will respawn normally, except in that they are glowing as if they had just gotten a smash ball and are able to execute the final smash.

Settings : At the time, we DEFINITELY had item frequency at none, and more then likely also had the smash Balls turned off.

...has anyone else encountered this? Me and my friends have seen it at least 3-4 times as we've played, and one time we actually had it happen randomly in back to back games. One time it was Pikachu, one time it was Sonic, and another it was Pokemon trainer.

Any thoughts or other confirmations, or even jsut an explanantion of how this bug occurs and how to reproduce it?

Joppi

Smash Rookie
I believe there's "pity" final smashes, that allow losing players to come back by giving them a free final smash. Dunno, but maybe.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
lol, then either you or your friend sucked at playing.

it's called a pity smash or underdog smash or something like that. If you do to poorly the game gives you a free final smash. It was talked about in a Dojo update a while back.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Thats not a bug at all.

If you suck really really badly, the game feels bad for you, and gives you a final smash.

Doesnt really matter, you're gonna lose anyway.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
We all know that it's a pity final smash but, are you saying it still happens even if smash balls are turned off?

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
...oh okay then. Fair enough, thanks for the updates, I had no memory of reading those.

Is there a way to turn it off? ...there should be an option somewhere, or that's just lame.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Are you sure you had items off? And did you have Smash Balls turned off individually as well? It hasn't happened in any vids of people playing with four stocks or less, so it shouldn't be a problem from a competitive standpoint.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Four stocks is too short for the CPU to pity the losing party. Also, there would at least need to be a three stock difference I think before the CPU pities the foo' who sucks at Smash.

FMArthur

Smash Cadet
What I want to know is if the Smash Ball can be knocked out of someone given a Pity Final Smash, to make them lose even harder than they were before.:laugh:

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
omg you were serious. ROFLMAO!! dude. read the dojo.
Calm yourself there skippy, not all of us read the Dojo religiously and memorize every shred of information Sakurai throws out day by day. Its really not a huge stretch that I missed this.

...as to the other questions, the two times back to back that I saw this occur were in 4 person brawls, each character having 5 stock. A few others times it was in time mode and we werre screwing around, so it stands to reason that it may occur if one player dies a lot.

I am however POSITIVE that I had all items turned off, but it is possible that the Smash Ball itself was turned on. I'm not sure, maybe that's the only true way to turn it off, but wouldn't you think for a programmed feature like a pity smash, they'd have an option to turn it off somewhere?

(...Oh and the time that it was Sonic, I am very skeptical that it was actually Sonic who was receiving the Pity, because it happened to end up with a 4 person brawl, diminishing into a 1v1, I had 1 life and he had 1 life and he came back with a final smash and won...because Sonic's final smash is haX. I also find it hard to beleive that he had sucked that game, becasue he's pretty decent and at least as good as I am in the game.)

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
Hm, this is actually an interesting point.

Will Smash Balls have to be made tournament legal simply because the pity FS, it seems, will activate regardless of items being on or off? While it is certainly obvious that some Final Smashes are, more or less, useless, it's even less fair to have them available only to players randomly as a reward for performing poorly.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Its far more likely the Tournament scene will pick a stock count that disallows Pity Smashes... then again I've not seen any vids of it happening in stock matches (as most of the Stock vids are 3-4 stock).

StellaNova

Smash Journeyman
OMAGAWD ITS THA PITY RULE U NOOB LAWLLOLOLOWLOLALAOL !!11! I PWN J00!

But seriously you guys, you don't need to post the same answer from 6 different people to get the point across.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Even so if the smash balls were turned off there shouldn't be a pity smash,.
Run a test. See how much of a lead is necessary before its a pity smash.
If its random then its most likely some kind of random occurence like ink dropping,

TheZeroOne

Smash Apprentice
So it happens even though you have set the items to "none"? Well that kind of sucks. Hopefully its because you didn't turn off the Smash Ball in the item menu.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Guys, he knows what the **** it is, he just doesn't know if
you can turn it off or not T_T

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, you can't turn off the Pity Smash.

Also, I've never seen the Pity Smash occur without having at least a 4 point deficit. In other words, 99% of stock matches will never allow this to happen, or you're too far behind for it to really matter.

Nevermind assuming it to be a bug, if you really think this can turn around a game when you're already down that far, then you're awful.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
4 point deficit you say? The I have an extremely easy solution! Make tournament matches 4 stock or less!(People are leaning towards 3 stock anyway). All done.

BTW, when you say 4 point deficit, do you mean being 4 stocks behind, or 4 points behind (because they are actually different) Since getting a kill adds a point to you and subtracts a point from them, a 4 point deficit could be reached after 2 kills.

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
Settings : At the time, we DEFINITELY had item frequency at none, and more then likely also had the smash Balls turned off.

The only thing I can think of is that you guys had the Smash Ball On and the items Frequency Off.

I never experienced this, and I've played a lot of Brawl in past days.

Just deactivate the Smash Ball and put the Itens Frequency to the left-most word.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
If suicides didn't count then people could just jump off the edge at high percents, constantly
allowing them invincibility, and the ability to beat the **** out of there opponent...

Tourneys are always 3-4 stock anyway so it doesn't really matter :/

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
"Now, if you don’t want to use Final Smashes whatsoever, you can restrict the appearance of this item in the Item Switch. If you just turn Smash Balls off, you’ll be set."

From the site.

Kylazin

Smash Rookie
NNID
MaxximusPrime
Yeah, but that might just be the item Final smash, that's not to say you can't be given one by the CPU.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Nevermind assuming it to be a bug, if you really think this can turn around a game when you're already down that far, then you're awful.
Keep in mind, when I first posted this, I didn't know it was based off of a deficit in lives. I thought it was a random occurance, in which case it would matter VERY MUCH in terms of balance, but it's not, so its no big deal.

I think this thread has accomplished everything it can. thanks for all the input everyone!

Drack

Smash Apprentice
I've done 30 minute matches against CPUs where I had a +15/-15 or so lead on them.

Items were on (just Sandbags as I was going for stickers to clear that "Get every sticker" challenge) Smashballs were off.

The CPUs NEVER got a pity final smash

Jinx

Smash Journeyman
Lol @ all the noobs saying "it was on the Dojo, how could you miss it?!" I know I've only checked the Dojo updates like twice.

Anyways, my roommate & I got these in a good amount of matches when playing KoreanDJ (with items on). I figured it occurred when down 3+ points/stock (we were playing by the Nintendo tourney rules with 4 min matches so I wasn't counting how much I/my roommate was down). Either way, 1 Final Smash wasn't enough wasn't (/isn't) game breaking enough for us to make a comeback (at least not solely from the Final Smash).

Hit me up on AIM Jason, if you wanna get on some Wifi matches or w/e. =P

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Sometimes it feels like you gain a Pity Final Smash just from dying rapidly in succession. But perhaps this is just how it works in timed matches? Regardless, I'm upset at the lack of option to turn this horrible feature off (AI seems to get pity finals way more frequently than they should) and am a bit irritable that the only way to do so might be by turning items off as a whole.

Top Bottom