• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot boost Jab Lock (video)

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Well, I've been doing this lately, it's not really a new technique but a combination of two ATs that's both functional and cool looking.

I was lurking the boards (as usual) and I saw someones post about not implementing pivot boost into his moveset that much so I replied with this video to show how I implement the pivot boost in mine.

Figured as nobody posted it before and I haven't seen it any of the videos of Link (maybe I don't look close enough, don't know), I would share it.

So here it is for those of you who didn't know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCVEd1k6a1E

It's not the best I had going (as it's really short) but its the one that I had recorded atm. Cool huh?

sasook

Smash Champion
Oh wow, that's quite interesting. This just might make the timing of the jabs much easier because people have a visual reference rather than counting in their head. Good job Fear!

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
That is the coolest thing ever! It's like a tornado of jab locky goodness. It's so flashy and cooler than the normal jab lock. But harder as it seems. =\ Still cool.

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
haha so i gave you the inspiration to make a topic huh :p its good though that's really great **** maybe ill try it eventually

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Oh wow, that's quite interesting. This just might make the timing of the jabs much easier because people have a visual reference rather than counting in their head. Good job Fear!
For me it makes the timing much easier, I mess up less by doing it this way.

Looks sexy, I was thinking that you'd pivot boost and use the slide to start the jab lock.
That would work too, as you'd get there more quickly to start the jab lock.

That is the coolest thing ever! It's like a tornado of jab locky goodness. It's so flashy and cooler than the normal jab lock. But harder as it seems. =\ Still cool.
You just have to get used to it, after that it feels easier really. Agreed on coolness of it XD

haha so i gave you the inspiration to make a topic huh :p its good though that's really great **** maybe ill try it eventually
You did give me the inspiration Ritch ;)

Matt07

Smash Master
Haha, looks awesome. It's like the cooler looking version of the Jab Lock.

Also, loved the music :laugh:, so suited your video.

D

Deleted member

its useless but it looks cool

sort of like speed zair hugging and spinhogging

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
^ ^
! !
O That was my expression when I saw this lol. Dead sexeh
Well thank you! it means a lot coming from you (whos Link I consider the sexiest).

its useless but it looks cool

sort of like speed zair hugging and spinhogging
Its as useful as the normal jab lock, the pivot boost doesn't add anything but looks to it.

Though its usefulness might lie in making the timing of the jab much easier, it does for me.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
You gotta love anything that makes you look good:). I'm actually going to start trying this as i'm always screwing up my jab locks.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Haha, looks awesome. It's like the cooler looking version of the Jab Lock.

Also, loved the music :laugh:, so suited your video.
Lol the 9th Symphony, it comes standard in the "my music" folder in Windows PCs. I had to work with that since my true PC (where I have all my music and videos) is being fixed. After hearing how it turned out i loved it though.

With the jab lock, can you push them to the ledge and do the dtilt to spike them?
If you get to the ledge I believe they come out of the tumbling animation so the player regains control of his character. You can use the last tumbling animation to push them over the ledge (instead of another jab) and try a d-tilt though.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
It looks faster but if the only thing it does is make you twirl around then this is useless...

But if it cancels your jab animation enough to bring the next one out quicker.......

Gahlo

Smash Cadet
It looks faster but if the only thing it does is make you twirl around then this is useless...

But if it cancels your jab animation enough to bring the next one out quicker.......
The biggest problem with learning the jablock is the timing between swipes. Since you're moving it cancels the jab progression anyway. By pivot boosting, you position yourself correctly in both space and time with out having to separate your attention between playing and counting in your head.

sasook

Smash Champion

Bringing it out quicker = fail

Bringing it out too slow = fail

The thing with the jab lock is that it requires EXACT timing. And "twirling" is more useful than you think.

@Metro - in the vid Ich posted, at 7:15ish it's shown, though that tumble Snake does would probably never happen in a real match. So I dunno.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Wait....

this + Doop walk?
Don't know, I have to try it out later today to see if it makes it easier, although in my head its harder to input A-hold and c-stick 45°, let go A and hit A (and hold) again for the next jab, c-stick 45° and so on.

What this would definitely make easier is getting you close to your tumbling opponent to start a jab lock (or at least i think so).

EDIT: What's with the self-named techniques?? Im gonna name mine the Fear Lock now...

No, not really (although that's what Im shouting when I get my opponent into one, for an extra ego boost, yeah)

Legan

Smash Lord
The only problem I see that could arise from this is if your opponent knows how to DI out of the lock, which is as simple as holding away and smashing the c-stick the opposite direction. The pivot might not give you enough distance and it would be alot easier to take a couple of steps and continue.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
The only problem I see that could arise from this is if your opponent knows how to DI out of the lock, which is as simple as holding away and smashing the c-stick the opposite direction. The pivot might not give you enough distance and it would be alot easier to take a couple of steps and continue.
I see, I'm gonna try to get a friend to DI away to see how it goes. I'm rarely staring a jab lock from the one edge to the other anyway, most of the time I start a jab lock Im somewhere in the middle of the stage. But you got to admit, doing it once in a match is gonna make you look good, in a friendly it's worth it.

Legan

Smash Lord
Lol dude you know me, Im all about making it look good. I also try to win at the same time though, sometimes I gotta tone down on the flash to get the win. Still a cool tech though, I can really see how it can help your timing.

D

Deleted member

i'll release a video later that teaches you correct jab locking instead of the way you guys are doing it now

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Well, let's see that.

EDIT: Also, this doop walking... nahh too much work, PB is better at least for this style of jab lock.

Also, keep in mind I didn't post this to help any of you improve Link's game or his jab lock, cause it's just a flashy way to do the jab lock. As a side effect it may help many of you on your timing but that's it, let's see what Arkive has in his jab lock video it may give you better results.

Hue

Smash Cadet
This actually IS helpful, the pivot animation DOES cancel the jab, and it allows you to jab more quickly, as well as helping to space it correctly. You can let go of the control stick and hit A as soon as Link starts turning back towards your opponent after a pivot, and you won't ever mess up by jabbing too early and using the second hit of Link's jab combo. You have to do it quickly though, but after some practice I found it considerably easier to do than the traditional jab lock, because you can only mess up by jabbing too late if you pivot every time.

Zezima0123

Smash Apprentice
Look's very tough to do...i've tryed doing just a normal jab lock and it's hard...but what makes this one better then the normal one..?

Hue

Smash Cadet
Look's very tough to do...i've tryed doing just a normal jab lock and it's hard...but what makes this one better then the normal one..?
It relies less on timing. If you do a normal jab lock, you have to make sure you don't jab too soon, or too late. If you pivot between each jab, you don't have to worry about jabbing too soon, and it comes out quicker, so it's less likely you'll jab too late. If you can pivot boost, it makes jab locking considerably easier IMHO.

**edit for clarity** When I say you don't have to worry about jabbing too early, I mean you have an obvious visual cue to "jab now": that is, when Link turns around again after the pivot (obviously if you jab before you turn around you'll jab in the wrong direction). When learning the normal jab lock, I tried watching Link's right arm, and after it moved a certain way I knew I could jab again. However, that's very impractical as it's a small time frame, and much less obvious. **edit**

Zezima0123

Smash Apprentice
It relies less on timing. If you do a normal jab lock, you have to make sure you don't jab too soon, or too late. If you pivot between each jab, you don't have to worry about jabbing too soon, and it comes out quicker, so it's less likely you'll jab too late. If you can pivot boost, it makes jab locking considerably easier IMHO.

**edit for clarity** When I say you don't have to worry about jabbing too early, I mean you have an obvious visual cue to "jab now": that is, when Link turns around again after the pivot (obviously if you jab before you turn around you'll jab in the wrong direction). When learning the normal jab lock, I tried watching Link's right arm, and after it moved a certain way I knew I could jab again. However, that's very impractical as it's a small time frame, and much less obvious. **edit**
Hm interesting i'm going to go practise this...thanks for the information.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
After seeing this and practicing a small amount, (yes, small, it's actually no where near as hard as it looks O_O ) I've decided that this is made of win. It's a frickin' auto-timing mechanism for the jabbing, which frankly, I always wasn't the hottest at holding the timing down.

And I agree with Legan, but I want to emphasize it, the ONLY disadvantage would be if you can't keep up with a DIing opponent, but it's not really to hard to keep up if you just pivot boost a tiny bit with each jab as you go.

I think I'll be using this from now on. That's how good it is.

looticforgothispassword said:
or cant we just make ordinary jab cancels(dunno, never had trouble with jab lock, its like playing drums).
I play guitar, I can follow a rythem but I can't make a beat for my life. xD

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
After seeing this and practicing a small amount, (yes, small, it's actually no where near as hard as it looks O_O ) I've decided that this is made of win. It's a frickin' auto-timing mechanism for the jabbing, which frankly, I always wasn't the hottest at holding the timing down.

And I agree with Legan, but I want to emphasize it, the ONLY disadvantage would be if you can't keep up with a DIing opponent, but it's not really to hard to keep up if you just pivot boost a tiny bit with each jab as you go.

I think I'll be using this from now on. That's how good it is.

I play guitar, I can follow a rythem but I can't make a beat for my life. xD
Glad to see its helpful for you and Hue, and as you say it's really not that hard to do, it just looks like it.

It would bring a tear to my eye everytime I see someone using it (well not really, but you know what I mean).

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I have yet to test this xD I want to learn this but I haven't had the time to. I'd love to see the look on my friend's face if I used this on him XD

Top Bottom