• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Discovery?

BobSmith006

Smash Cadet
EDIT (11-2-08): Capt. Falcon vid is up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU1WuTCHrls

I've been looking around, and I don't think this has been posted before. (If I'm wrong, feel free to let me know! :))

Anywho, I was messing around with Olimar in training mode, and I discovered this. It's a slight lag/extension of a character's pivot. To do this, I dashed, crouched, dashed again in the same direction, and flicked the c-stick in the opposite direction. I think the vid will explain a lot better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX7NUN7E1pE

I did this vid with Olimar, but it can be done with every character except Zamus and Sheik

It probably isn't very useful tech-wise, but I thought it was interesting enough to share. I didn't mess with it much other than this, but I do think you can't attack out of it. It has the same basic properties of a regular pivot.

I also measured out all of the distances each character slides with this. I used Yoshi's Island as my basis, since it has several lines on the bottom stage to use as stop/start points. Like I said, this can be done with all characters except Zamus and Sheik. (If you can do it with them, please let me know! I couldn't get it to work.) Please keep in mind that this is a general estimate and not 100% exact.

If I ever get around to it, I might throw a vid compilation together of various characters doing this.

Your thoughts?

~Bob

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Hmm if this works out, it might be an interesting application for Dash Pivot Cancels. perhaps you could show it off in video with Captain falcon since his is the longest?

XienZo

Smash Lord
CF totally gets a CG on MK now.

Well, not really, but its ALMOST....

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
it looks like youre just running, than doing the turn around while running animation, but not actually continuing the run in the other direction...

BobSmith006

Smash Cadet
Hmm if this works out, it might be an interesting application for Dash Pivot Cancels. perhaps you could show it off in video with Captain falcon since his is the longest?
Give me a sec, and I'll record myself doing his. ;) It'll take awhile to upload to YouTube, but I'm sure I can get it on tonight.

Are you Bob from Survivor?
Nope, sorry. XD

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'll look into this XD
might be a little different from what I thought it was.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
. . .

you're not serious.

BobSmith006 said:
No, I'm being completely serious about this.
Oh God you are serious.

Dude, this is nothing but an elongated change-of-run-direction. When you push backwards, your character executes a turning animation, then goes into a run in the other direction. Squirtle has unique physics which enable him to so-called "shellshift", and Jigglypuff is incapable of changing direction during a run.

How long you hold "backwards" determines how quickly you get out of the 'turning around' animation. It also determines how far you slide. Also, how extremely you push backwards affects both of these.

If you flick the control stick backwards while running, you will go to slide, except you wil stop prematurely if you're not holding some direction. To get the farthest slide, flick backwards, then nudge the control stick backwards and hold it. Just as your momentum reaches zero, you can either hold backwards to go on to run (speed proportional to the magnitude of your input, as normal), or you can release the control stick, to stop in place.

Using the C-stick counts as the flick of the control stick. I don't know what you did with the control stick in this time, but you probably let it go close to neutral, which then just counted as holding it slightly.

Seriously, this is just running. Mess around more, AT delve less.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I've been looking around, and I don't think this has been posted before. (If I'm wrong, feel free to let me know! :))

Anywho, I was messing around with Olimar in training mode, and I discovered this. It's a slight lag/extension of a character's pivot. To do this, I dashed, crouched, dashed again in the same direction, and flicked the c-stick in the opposite direction. I think the vid will explain a lot better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX7NUN7E1pE

I did this vid with Olimar, but it can be done with every character except Zamus and Sheik...
I stop reading there....

**** anti sheik advance movements!

BobSmith006

Smash Cadet
Dude, this is nothing but an elongated change-of-run-direction. When you push backwards, your character executes a turning animation, then goes into a run in the other direction. Squirtle has unique physics which enable him to so-called "shellshift", and Jigglypuff is incapable of changing direction during a run.
I've seen this "shellshifting", but I didn't know how to do it. Nor did I know that tidbit about Jiggly.

Seriously, this is just running. Mess around more, AT delve less.
I only got this because I was trying to practice random techs with Oli. I usually don't mess around to find stuff. :ohwell:

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
we need a video to see if this is only crap or something useful, please get it done as quickly as possible

XienZo

Smash Lord
Hmmm... DDD teleports slightly during the pivot; when he turns, he teleports forward to where his hammer is, and then faces the opposite way.

Tenki

Smash Hero
It's doing a delayed dash pivot, or cancelling a full-dash's stop with a dash-pivot.

[run] > [release control stick]-[quickly hit back]

That's basically it.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
It may be because I am stupid or something, but I don't see how this is different from like...dashing and then pivoting.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Yeah that was kinda known on the falcon boards. Except it was used while doing a grab and still carrying the momentum. Like a sliding pivot grab, I don't remember what they called it. Only use I could see for it is catching them when they come down from a platform.

and falcon only had a theorized chaingrab on metaknight but he couldn't cover the distance in time, go figure.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
This looks rather interesting and it looks like it does something a little different from some of the other sliding pivot techs for some reason. Maybe its the same and I just dont remember the older videos well enough, but when I look very carefully it seems the characters do a rather strange animation.

What attacks can you do out of this?

Top Bottom