• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Wavedash

UT Smash Club

Smash Cadet
Smash Club Presents
Pivot Wavedash
Saturday September 3, 2011
Super Smash Brothers: Melee

ART 1.102, located on UT Campus. The building is located on the intersection of Robert Dedman and 23rd st.
Directions
Building Information

Schedule:
Saturday September 03, 2011
Doors Open/Registration Begins - 12:00 noon
Singles Registration Ends/Singles Begins - 1:00 PM
Doubles Registration Ends/Doubles Begins - 3:00 PM

Price
These fees are non-refundable
  • Singles - $5 per player
  • Doubles - $10 per team
Payout

31 or fewer entrants
  • 1st = 60%
  • 2nd = 30%
  • 3rd = 10%
32 - 63 entrants
  • 1st = 58%
  • 2nd = 28%
  • 3rd = 10%
  • 4th = 4%
64 or more entrants
  • 1st = 55%
  • 2nd = 25%
  • 3rd = 10%
  • 4th = 5%
  • 5th = 2.5%
  • 5th = 2.5%
Setups
We have about 8 setups. Please bring setups!

General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • The number of stock is set to 4
  • The time limit is set to 8 minutes
  • All sets are best of 5 matches
  • Double Elimination*
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR): No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players agree to it, including banned stages.
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
  • Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
  • The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
  • Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
  • Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: Fountain of Dreams)
  • Use of the character Metaknight is banned.
    *This is subject to change based on the number of entrants

Set Format (in order of procedure)
  1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Legal Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1 - 1 order. A half-page checklist of the legal stages will be provided to assist the players in determining the first stage.
  3. After the first match, each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
  4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from the stage list.
  5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
  6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
  7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches

Singles

Legal Stage List
DK Island: Jungle Japes
DK Island: Kongo Jungle
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Dream Land: Green Greens
Eagleland: Onett
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poké Floats
Kanto: Pokémon Stadium
Lylat System: Corneria
Lylat System: Venom
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Mushroom Kingdom I
Mushroom Kingdom II
Dream Land
Congo Jungle
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Special Stages: Battlefield
Special Stages: Final Destination
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Banned Stage List
Eagleland: Fourside
F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
Hyrule: Temple
Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths
Superflat World: Flat Zone
Termina: Great Bay
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Island

Doubles

Legal Stage List
DK Island: Jungle Japes
DK Island: Kongo Jungle
Dream Land: Green Greens
Eagleland: Onett
Kanto Skies: Poké Floats
Kanto: Pokémon Stadium
Lylat System: Corneria
Lylat System: Venom
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Mushroom Kingdom I
Mushroom Kingdom II
Dream Land
Congo Jungle
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Special Stages: Battlefield
Special Stages: Final Destination
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Banned Stage List
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Eagleland: Fourside
F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Hyrule: Temple
Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths
Superflat World: Flat Zone
Termina: Great Bay
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Island

Additional Rules for Double's Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON

Conduct Rules
  • Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
  • Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. A match may only be paused in the case of an emergency, or when both players agree to a pause. The tournament organizer reserves the right to disqualify a player for abuse of the pause feature.
  • You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wavebird Controller). Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
  • Match fixing, splitting, and any other form of bracket manipulation is not allowed.
  • Players are not to engage in friendlies unless permitted by the TO. Failure to adhere to this rule will result in expulsion from the venue.
  • Players are not to begin tournament matches without permission from the tournament organizer.
  • Under no condition is anyone other than the tournament organizer permitted to enter tournament results.
  • No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
  • Coaching is allowed only between games, not during.
  • Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Players will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
  • The tournament organizer has the right to record any tournament match and has the right to upload said match.
  • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup chosen by the tournament organizer.
  • Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue.

Kal

Smash Champion
This is the original post from which I derived this ruleset. Essentially, this ruleset is an attempt to ban as little as possible while maintaining depth. I am of the opinion that this is the fairest way to create a ruleset, because it permits everyone to play however they like while maintaining the game's depth.

I would suggest that everyone read Sirlin's "Playing to Win" and, particularly, his explanation of what should be banned.

This tournament is an attempt at an Avant Garde ruleset. Its ruleset will most certainly need refinement, and I'm not unwilling to change things given adequate reason. But, I am not of the opinion that we should simply adhere to whatever the majority wants, because the majority has made clear (in all aspects of decision making, not just smash) that what it wants is very rarely equivalent to what is fair or what is right.

As for discussing the ruleset, I ask that people maintain discussion within the criteria provided in KishPrime's thread. If you would like to discuss the actual criteria used for banning, please do that in a private message. If you feel that something does overly centralize the metagame by surpassing the Turnip Threshold or by allowing for single-character or single-strategy brokenness, then please say so. However, I'm not going to discuss banning something because you think it is "janky."

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Looks fun :p.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
perhaps we could take data on stage and character selection for matches past quarter finals (lest we start at quarter finals from the get-go :troll:).

also, can we use FAC 21, the auditorium, as the venue?
it makes the transportation of setups easier, there's phone reception, and there's food right outside (Wendy's, Chick-fil-a, Taco Cabana, Quiznos, etc).
Also, it's flat. Unlike the Welch, first-floor auditoriums.

Kal

Smash Champion
Great! We can provide housing. I've left off the venue fee and set the price to $5 to encourage people to come, since the ruleset is nonstandard.

I think Sethlon is interested as well. I hope you're not too turned off by the stage list; if you read the justification for it here then I think you'd agree that at least some of these stages belong here. There is definitely room for debate (especially on the more contentious stages like Onett), but on the whole I simply refuse to remove stages which are not broken or overly random.

Kal

Smash Champion
Yes. We're hoping to maximize the chances of better players winning by having more matches played.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Ah, i didn't even notice that matches are best of 5.
Dallas carpool is a go! Looks like it'll be Denti, me, emily, and Haxxor.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
As much as I like sets 3 of 5, do you realize it's gonna take a billion years to finish? Smash already takes a while, with sets taking as long as 20 minutes.

And I can understand a liberal stage list, but is Onett and Mushroom Kingdom II seriously on? Are you crazy? 2006 proved how broken Onett is, and neither MK I or II is really fit for tournament play. It's waveshine and backthrows all day.

That said, everything else seems awesome, and I'm super glad Jose informed me about this. Hope I can make it, I got to see about a TABC class on Saturday. But I will show up late even.

Kal

Smash Champion
Kyle, your attitude is unbelievably obnoxious. How about you actually read the ****ing thread I linked to in my first post? Then you'll understand why Onett and Mushroom Kingdom I and II are on. As far as Bo5, how about you read harder:

This tournament is an attempt at an Avant Garde ruleset. Its ruleset will most certainly need refinement, and I'm not unwilling to change things given adequate reason.
You ran some tournaments, we get it. This does not mean you're special enough to circumvent the criteria of the discussion and impose your own. At the very least, read through my post before acting like you've got it all figured out.

MT_

Smash Ace
I think we have enough time and low enough turnout for 3/5 to not make that much of a difference.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Kyle, your attitude is unbelievably obnoxious. How about you actually read the ****ing thread I linked to in my first post? Then you'll understand why Onett and Mushroom Kingdom I and II are on. As far as Bo5, how about you read harder:

You ran some tournaments, we get it. This does not mean you're special enough to circumvent the criteria of the discussion and impose your own. At the very least, read through my post before acting like you've got it all figured out.
I just threw in my 2 cents. I wasn't here to tell you how to run the tournament. I also did notice that the 3/5 sets is dependent on attendence, so my bad on that. Did you just delete me from facebook? Quit hatin mang.

Yes, I already read the first post you made about the stage set as well. While I can agree with stuff like Corneria and Mute City being brought back, there's solid history with the stage of Onett.

Anyways, it completely follows Sirlin's concept of banning to ban Onett, because it did in fact over dominate the scene in 2006. Just look at MLG's season that year. Every single top player, including Ken, was forced to adjust to Onett and learn Fox. Ken, who had never played another character, was forced to use Fox. Something that shakes the metagame that much should be considered ban worthy, because it's extremely limiting and almost impossible to overcome Fox on that stage. It's a horrific match up on stage no matter who you are.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ken actually learned fox to have less trouble with Azen, didn't really have anything to do with Onett.

Kal

Smash Champion
Pretty sure I deleted you from Facebook forever ago. Can't remember why.

Did you read the thread KishPrime started? I linked to it in my post. Whether Onett is actually broken is still open for debate. Sure, Fox is good there. Is he really broken there? Even if every character is at a disadvantage there, is it really broken?

If you had read KishPrime's thread (I'm guessing you didn't bother), you'd see that simply being good on a stage, even very good, does not make a stage ban-worthy. Onett's ban-status under KishPrime's criteria are open for debate, at the least.

As far as Mushroom Kingdom I and II go (again, if you had bothered to read the post from which I derived this ruleset, there would be no problem here), there are no good reasons to ban them. Nothing but people afraid of walk-off ledges has warranted the banning of these stages in the past.

And luckily, I always have The God of Smashboards to come in and point out people's fail for me.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Alrighty, turns out we will be able to make it =D Can we get housing for friday night, Kal?

Top Bottom