• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PK Cross: An Advanced Ness Guide

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
RE the pk pivot thing: You can cancel a dash animation into any standing animation directly. For example, dash back, reverse fsmash. This isn't unique to pk fire.
No, Im not talking about a dash into a reverse bat. I'm talking about the starting animation of the dash cancelled by a PKF, or any forward B move.

If you ARE refferring to the starting dash animation, this is different. For you to use that, you must completely stop to enter the standing animation, Fomr there you can use any move, but with PKF, you do not have to stop at all.

It has to be one of those you are talking about because out of a starting dash animation, you can only use your fsmash or PKF. Unless you mean completely stopping then turning around, but that's so slow and sux.

Levitas, doesn't the reverse Fsmash have severely less range in the dash than PK Pivoting? It seems like PK Fire has almost triple the running range that you can still turn around and PK Fire. Though, I haven't tried this with other character's Side-B's... Peculiar. I should do that. haha.
Normally it does, but I know a way to use the bat pivot EXACTLY like the PK Pivot, and even make it longer. However, since you can B-reverse PKF out of a normal dash, that has REDICULOUS range :chuckle:

I plan to post how to extend your pivot bat even more soon. What you are thinkg of right now is a stutter step.

and to think i was all ready to tell you off for using the term "PK Cross"...
this guide should be very helpful for people like me who want to use ness, and win with him.
i commend you on your efforts to help enhance every ness player's game.
you must be an earthbound fan to work on a list of techniques like this for my main man, ness.
ok, keep up the good work!
Thanks man. I really hope this helps people.
Honestly, I've never played Earthbound, but I just LOVE how Ness plays!

I seriously need to play it though. I had the chance to once on a computer virtual console, but I downloaded it on my dad's old laptop which he got rid of :mad:

WHEN WILL IT COME OUT FOR VC ON THE WII!?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yesh, I've been doing this since Melee.

It's called the Thunder swell surprise by NESSBOUNDER

I commented there also.

Hmm... what should my update be today?

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I don't have the replay of the PKT2 sweetspot&hit. If it happens again I'll save the video or I'll practice to see if I can get it to work or both.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Good to see that autocancelling is working for you. Never had time to try out its potential with Ness.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Oh yeah, autocancel works wonders with Ness' nair and double aerial shuffle. Nair to fair is aweseome. Then chaining that into a grab is even cooler.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
MASSIVE Update ppplz!

Hopefully you guys can comprehend it and put it to good use. It's hard to understand and do at first, but man this makes me love the bat.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Simply put: You can sweetspot the edge AND hit your opponent at the same time.

Maybe it was because I hit Link first and that caused me to sweetspot the edge, but I PKT2'd horizontally just above the edge (I think it was above) which caused me to hit Link and after the whole time stop (as powerful attacks do, like Zelda's sweetspots and Samus' fully charged charge shot) I grabbed the edge.

Get it?

So if this looks like you're going to grab the edge with PKT2, and end up doing it so you hit your opponent AND get the edge, it's a mindgame. Understand? They think you're going to grab the edge and move in before you do, and figure that if they don't spike/edgeguard you but you PKT2 anyway, you'll just get the edge and they'll be fine, when in reality you will get the edge but hit them anyway.

EDIT (Wow, I understand why it sounded unclear now): It would probably help to know that I was an eight of an inch (or so) from the ledge--basically right next to it, so I would sweetspot it like one does in thunderjacketing, but Link was so close that it hit him, or maybe it was the way I hit the ledge (More ledge options are possible because the distance one has to be from the ledge to grab it in Brawl is HUGE compared to Melee).

So, for visual aid:
1=Ness
2=Link
.=Ledge
_=Ground
1 .2__________________________________

Get it? I was just across from the ledge a tiny bit, and -maybe- a little above and I sweetspotted the ledge AND hit Link (but I hit Link first).

I did this a second time but this time in training mode, so I still do not have video of this. But this definitely works, I'm just not sure how.

By the way: I made a small update on your Pokemon Stadium 2 thread. It's something I recently saw and actually have a video of this time. Ness can charge up his bat while sliding. You could definitely use this to back away and get the proper spacing to tip with it or to slide in and hit them before they think it can.

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
I find the C-stick too...unresponsive (idk lol) for PK Jumping. I just set the jump button to Z and instead set the grab button to X (I use Y to jump). It's pretty straightforward from there, press Z and B at the same time while you're holding forward in the air.

God I love shoulder buttons.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Uh. Yeah I still don't get the double aerial shuffle. I can't seem to fit the two into one shorthop. Do you need to hit someone for this to work? And is this a sort of combo (you know, just what aerial to follow up with) as opposed to a shorthopped technique?

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
hiis im new here. Very nice guide, I learned a lot from this, too bad I didn't find this before my tournament yesturday :3. anyways might not be worth posting, but I found a few interesting techniques using the PKF cancel, as well as a glitch, but I can't recreate the glitch every time, it just happens since the timing is hard.

For the technique, I found that when doing the PKFC at the right timing, he will fall off the ledge just as he is suppose to, although he WONT shout out 'PK Fire!!' and ledge hangs on the side. This can be used for very quick ledge hogs, just like meta knight can do, except you don't have to fall off once and get to the ledge, which can still be done quickly, but isn't as fast.

For the glitch, its not useful or anything just a simple glitch, he doesn't fall off the edge, but does the full PKF animation, except backwards and no fire comes out. So you run towards the ledge just like doing a PKFC, but right when it seems like you fall off, you stay on the edge, but facing the opposite direction and doing the full animation.

Again just a few things I found, may or may not be useful xP.
Ken

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
^^^

kennypu, the first one I see. But it doesn't make you edgehog any faster than a normal hug or PKFC to hug. And since it doesn't make Ness shout PKF, iti wont really intimidate anyone.

For the second one, I think you are just using a B-reversed PKF out of a dash. DOesn't need to be near the ledge.

Uh. Yeah I still don't get the double aerial shuffle. I can't seem to fit the two into one shorthop. Do you need to hit someone for this to work? And is this a sort of combo (you know, just what aerial to follow up with) as opposed to a shorthopped technique?
The DAS is a bit hard at first. You have to use an aerial RIGHT when you leave the ground. Not near the peak of the short hop, but ASAP. I reccommend you switch a shoulder button to attack so you can use X or Y to short hop and press L or R at almost the exact same time, allowing you to fit 2 aerials in one short hop.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
You dont HAVE to, but if you think you can short hop and attack as you rise, meaning press them very quickly, then do what you want with the controls.

Double nair is SO useful!

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Its really easy to Aerial Rise all it takes is a short hop attack, then after the attack finishes double jump and start a new attack. You don't have to switch control settings as long as you can jump.

Masky

Smash Master
EarthBound360... why is there a Lucas icon under your name??? :O

"Rising aerial" (sh fair to full 2nd jump fair) is how I approach when I'm feeling pressured or in a tough situation (ie: vs Marth). The only way it can be stopped is if the opponent uses a higher priority attack (don't use this approach on Snake...) or attacks you in the small window between your fairs (hard to do)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
^^^
well, it's not like he'll do that EVERY time. Im just using that as an example because it's laggy and punishable.

Smashbros 7, you got your wish :)

UPDATES!!!

EDIT: THis is my 3000th post!:bee:

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I don't think heaven's descent is that useful for brawl as it's basically just asking to be juggled.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
How are you using it?

This is good for characters that can juggle but dont neccesarily kill with their uairs. If they fall slow, that's even better.
Sure, on multijumpers this wont be the best option, but it's not a BAD option.

Use it after they jump to try to hit you. Then they have to land or airdodge and let you off the hook.
Just use it every now and then. If you use it right, then you wont get punished often. Dont just try to hit them, try to shield yourself with the tail also.

And are you implying that it was more useful in Melee? I have to disagree. PKT has a longer tail for defending Ness, and PKT moves faster. Also, PKT2 is way more powerful.
You can use mindgames to turn it into a PKT2. I've killed people like this.

Levitas

the moon
I'm thinking that while it's better in brawl, it's still not good. The tailwhip to bolt combo makes it better, but the fact that it has the startup of a smash to get it to start covering yourself due to the bolt coming out of your head coupled with the fact that you fall slower when you do it makes it less useful than playing yomi levels with airdodges or covering yourself with aerials.

Masky

Smash Master
PSI Magnet's wind (and probably the way it stops your momentum) saves me a lot in the air from juggling and I don't know why

Masky

Smash Master
PSI Wind still happens with an airborne PSI Magnet. I meant both worked together

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I guess, but the aerial wind effect of PSIM is so small, and they have to be RIGHT next to you for the effect, so I don't see how it would stop juggles. Maybe super slow and short ranged aerials like Mario's fair though.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
You know EB360. While on many levels I find your postings to be annoying jingoistic cries of "Yay Ness" and impractical information, this guide actually kicks all kinds of ***. No offense btw...just one ness players opinion.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
OMG!! i didn't know that the move i use so much had a move -.- the Hyphen Smash xP. I use that all the time, especially good for mind games, when you and enemy are dashing at each other, just bust it out a few seconds early, and it will hit the enemy first, from that just bring it to a pk jump, to pkt2. if ur at final dest. that will kill them already xD
Ken

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
@_clinton, shooting PKT under you as you fall to stop jugglers
@ NZA, k thx... I guess
@kennypu, cool

@everyone, PSIM fall stalling added. Tommorrow, Im doing the dash attack semispike, QDA, and the ledge dash.

Top Bottom