• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PKMN Trainer v. PKMN Trainer

Coselm

Smash Ace
I don't know if anyone thought about this, but what if you are doing a PKMN trainer mirror fight?

Will Squirtle's water moves do extra damage to Charizard?

Will Charizard's fire moves do extra damage to Ivysaur?

And will Ivysaur's grass moves do extra damage to Squirtle?

It would be a very new feature for Super Smash Bros. if this was applied. If it is applied lets hope it only pertains to PKMN trainer mirror matches and/or certain items used against PKMN trainer (ie: fire flower does little damage to Charizard and Squirtle, but it does a lot to Ivysaur).

To be completely honest, I hope they don't put this in the game but it is just a thought.

Thoughts?

Opinions?

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Ever heard of "new game mechanics"? It's possible they could add bonus damages for different effects against certain characters.

With a character like Olimar in, too, I could see this especially being emphasized. Plus, I have noticed a lot more emphasis on variety of elements being used...so who knows?

wisewaters

Smash Apprentice
Going by that logic, Charizard and Squirtle would be weak to Luca's PK Thunder (electric trumps flying and water) and Ivysaur would be weak to PK fire and PK freeze. (fire and ice trump grass)More over, Lucas is a psychic boy, right? And since Ivysaur's part poison, that makes it susceptible to psychic attacks.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I agree that Brawl will have a new game with new gameplay elements, but this seems to be kind of a stretch.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
If this rule applied in Melee (yes, I know this is about Brawl but...), then I would've owned Falco with Pikachu. >.>

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Well, this could be the case, to anyone playing pokemon trainer, they have to keep on their toes and switch pokemon to suit the situation at hand.

People shouldn't blow such things off as 'OMG ITS SSB NUT POKEMUN!1!!'. It really doesnt give you a valid argument and makes you look like an idiot.

plök

Smash Cadet
That is such a cool idea. I wish that was true. But by that standard, shouldn't Samus' missile just kill Mario? I mean, it's a missile against a plumber. But Good thinking.

Also anyone who yells out the Pokemon's attacks like in the show gets extra points with me.

Coselm

Smash Ace
I'm going to main PKMN Trainer and go to tournaments dressed just like PKMN Trainer. When I switch Pokemon, I will be like "Charizard, I choose you!" or "That's enough Charizard! Go Ivysaur!" And when they do their attacks I will be like "Charizard, use flamethrower!" and "Ivysaur, use razor leaf!"

It will be a lot funnier when you see it than jsut reading about it.

And by making this thread, I was operation on a hunch that the pokemon weaknesses are possibilities, I didn't mean like Mario would be weak to Samus, or something like that. If they make a weakness system, I'm sure it wouldnt go beyond the PKMN Trainer.

I just thought it was an interesting idea, I honestly really hope they don't do this.

garbage

Smash Journeyman
No, no, no. One of Bowser's fire breaths would instantly kill Mario, Peach, Captain Falcon, Marth, Roy, and almost every other character in the game. And a sword hit from Link or Roy or Marth would slice you in half. And Pikachu could fatally electrocute you.

He's just one of many characters.

RizardoLawless

Smash Journeyman
No, no, no. One of Bowser's fire breaths would instantly kill Mario, Peach, Captain Falcon, Marth, Roy, and almost every other character in the game. And a sword hit from Link or Roy or Marth would slice you in half. And Pikachu could fatally electrocute you.

He's just one of many characters.

Not to mention a Falcon Punch would destroy 2/3 of the ****ing planet you were on!

But seriously, I love the idea, the only problem I could think of is that the entire battle would be swapping Pokémon because each player wouldn't wanna go up against a weakness. Unless its Squirtle on Squirtle combat. Come to think of it, if neither switched, Stamina issues would probably just cancel out

Stop stating stuff you have no idea about as a fact.
Ok, when I ever get the urge to say something like that, I'll keep that in mind. But so far I've only said things that I do have a pretty good idea on. You see I, unlike you it seems, have the useful ability to make assumptions based on logic. Logic can be far more important than proof when I'm dealing with people like you.

It's not going to happen, and everyone should know that.

SinisterLizard, you seem to live simply to argue against logical ideas. I don't know what your deal is.

Coselm

Smash Ace
Ok, when I ever get the urge to say something like that, I'll keep that in mind. But so far I've only said things that I do have a pretty good idea on. You see I, unlike you it seems, have the useful ability to make assumptions based on logic. Logic can be far more important than proof when I'm dealing with people like you.

It's not going to happen, and everyone should know that.

SinisterLizard, you seem to live simply to argue against logical ideas. I don't know what your deal is.
You are a party pooper and a general naysayer. I say bah to your pessimism.

And I agree that they probably won't do it because PKMN Trainer v. PKMN Trainer battles would literally be just hit and run tactics and switching pokemon.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Naah if that were the case Mewto would be allmighty, cuz he's psychic and everyone else is a fighter, they could do him no harm...
Sakurai's team has enough trouble to balance the whole game out, if such a thing like elemental/type weaknesses/strengths was applied, they'd have to keep balancing forever...
So it's not gonna happen

shinzou

Smash Cadet
Pokemon trainer vs pokemon trainer... I can smell an event battle brewing. And also, maybe it's like, squirtle can only damage charizard, charizard can only damage ivysaur and u know the last one. And don't say it's not a possibility, remember the sheik event match. You only got credit for the shiek kills and not for zelda...

Syzygy

Smash Apprentice
Oh snap.

Squirtle, Fludd > Bowser, Roy, Charizard
Ganondorf, Giga Bowser (Dark) > Mewtwo, Lucas
Pikachu > Falco, Pit, Metaknight, Samus (steel)
Mewtwo, Lucas > Falcon, Mario, most everyone
ICs > Ivysaur, Falco, Pit, Metaknight
Samus > Mewtwo, Lucas, Wario (Poison), Ivysaur, Falco, Pit, Metaknight, Samus

The list goes on, haha. Make some more.

Would make an awesome event match, though.

Oh snap.

Squirtle, Fludd > Bowser, Roy, Charizard
Ganondorf, Giga Bowser (Dark) > Mewtwo, Lucas
Pikachu > Falco, Pit, Metaknight, Samus (steel)
Mewtwo, Lucas > Falcon, Mario, most everyone
ICs > Ivysaur, Falco, Pit, Metaknight
Samus > Mewtwo, Lucas, Wario (Poison), Ivysaur, Falco, Pit, Metaknight, Samus

The list goes on, haha. Make some more.

Would make an awesome event match, though.
Someone doesn't even know their type matchups. Steel isn't weak to electric-type attacks, nor is it strong against Psychic types.

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
this whole idea of type variables wouldnt happen. another element to add to brawl would have ppl complaining about losing because it was an "unfair match!" plus, it would get too confusing piled along with everything else already in brawl.

and syzygy, you need to replay your pokemon games.

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
More important: When PKMN trainer stands in the middle of the stage, where does the other one stand?
Or if its all 4 that are PT o_O
Will they go start pushing each other? Will they call their Metapods and have a Harden duel?
Did you even get my point?
You dont have time to ponder such questions anyway.

Top Bottom