• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Placed 3rd in tourney. Yayy :0

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Hey Link Forums! It's been a while! I literally just got out of a Brawl tourney at my college about an hour ago and I wanted to just rant about my happiness that I placed third. :0
They recorded some videos of my matches, and I'll put them up when they're posted online. Until then, don't waste your time reading this unless you're very bored. Even if you're bored, you should probably do something more productive. Anyways, on with my experience.

The tourney had around forty people in it and I worked my way up the winner's bracket slowly, winning around four matches. Up until i lost to an Olimar player. He won 2-1. I hate Olimar; I never got to practice fighting himmm. D:

Anyways, in the losers' bracket, determined to work my way up, I stabbed and blew up a couple of Pikachus, Snake, a ROB, and a Lucario, all pretty decent I'd say. All the matches were very close. Maybe there were more, but I don't remember. It was tiring because I literally had no rest in between matches, but it was also good because I didn't have time to lose my focus.

In the losers' semifinal, I came across the Olimar I lost to in the winner's bracket. Fortunately, I was more than warmed up to rematch Olimar after playing nonstop for so long. Winning my set 2-1, I advanced to the loser's final.

I faced off against a never-before-seen Peach player in a best-of-five. The matches were always pretty close; I won twice on Norfair (THANK YOU, THANK YOU DEVA). In the end, when it was tied 2-2 for the final game, I was defeated on Delfino Plaza and took third in the tournament.

I won twenty five dollars. lol.
But it was great because everyone was cheering for me because I was link. Haha.
I'm done. If you read it, thanks. :)

4Serial

Smash Lord
wow good **** man

there's a lot of good results for links recently
does it have anything to do with MK's recent *almost* ban?
lol Link players are catching up.

sasook

Smash Champion
Nice job.

And how does everyone do so well on Norfair? I just completely fail there.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
@4serial
You'll be very surprised by this, but there was only ONE Meta Knight in the tournament. From the matches I watched, he was pretty good. Unfortunately for him, he got Falcon Punched into the losers' bracket (literally; A Falcon beat him lol), and I'm not sure what happened after that, but luckily for me he was eliminated.

@sasook
From what I've read from your posts, you're more of a sword-and-board Link right? I guess Links who use projectiles more have a better advantage on Norfair. The bomb drop mindgames work much better there. That's what helped me the most along with more chances to D-Air. I guess it just takes practice. :]

I have never tried Green Hill Zone yet. Maybe I should. D:

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Yeah I'm joining the tourney scene next year. By that time, Link will be repped in NJ! :D But good job ArdeS! ^_^ And Wemp, welcome to the boards.

Lil Hero

Smash Cadet
Um, is there any results for this tournament and was it hosted and attended by people that frequent smashboards. Ive been reading alot of these I placed in tournament threads but they always fail to show results. I was messaging legan on youtube the other day and he told me he had just placed 2nd of 72 at a play N trade tournament and came in 1st of 20 at another. He said hes taking a break from major competitive brawl but he wouldnt pass up the chance for free money lol. There is a huge gap between casual brawl players and ones that keep up with the advanced metagame so I think thats why Legan thinks it's not worth mentioning. Good job for placing 3rd though, thats pretty sweet.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Sweet. If you hadn't lost to the olimar you might have won the whole thing. Idk, but man, olimar is tough. You have to neuter that Olimar of pikmin then he's less of a character. lol Can't wait to see your matches, though. Keep at it. I hope to make my mark in Texas this coming summer when I get done with school. As for Legan, great for placing 2nd out of 72 and winning out of 20 even though they're not major tournies. May the way of the Link smashers guide Link to greatness.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
@Lil Hero:
I don't think there were too many smashworld forum goers at the tourney. I'm not sure when the results will be up but when they are and if I find them, I'll post them right away. :0

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I got surprised when someone came to my small 20 person tournament using all diddy kong AT's and applauding my use of DAC. I did not play in the tourney but we played some friendlies before hand. I didn't ask if he gets on these boards, but I know he's getting on somewhere.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Great job reppin Link. One of my friends mains olimar so would you like a tip?

Jab olimar
Jab ***** pikmin.......
Jab him off stage and edge guard.
when your finished jabbing, jab some more.
Feel free to jab cancel on your way out.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Did anyone put the tournament online? You could post it on Ankoku's rankings.

Need # entrants, top 8 characters, entree fee, etc.

GJ!

Lil Hero

Smash Cadet
@Lil Hero:
I don't think there were too many smashworld forum goers at the tourney.
If thats so then It's safe to assume that the players in that tournament were no good at all. They wouldnt have any insight on competitive smash or the ever evolving metagame.

@4serial
You'll be very surprised by this, but there was only ONE Meta Knight in the tournament. From the matches I watched, he was pretty good. Unfortunately for him, he got Falcon Punched into the losers' bracket
This just clarified my point... I really dont think this is worth posting in Anokokus list. Like I said before, Legan got 2nd of 72 in a tournament and 1st of 20 in tournaments with at least a few people that were from smashboards but still didnt feel it worth posting because the competition was just not up to par, . I think you should rank in some major tournaments or at least one with really good players before you post them in the list, and not by just your standards. Once again nice job on placing well though.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you have to be a member of the forums to be good at the game. There was plenty of talent out there that was created through ways other than character and tactical discussion.
Ken, who placed 2nd in the tournament as Peach, had never heard of Smash World Forums or All Is Brawl until I told him about it last night.

Lil Hero

Smash Cadet
I don't think you have to be a member of the forums to be good at the game. There was plenty of talent out there that was created through ways other than character and tactical discussion.
Ken, who placed 2nd in the tournament as Peach, had never heard of Smash World Forums or All Is Brawl until I told him about it last night.
That doesnt dissprove my point. Casual players beating other casual players proves nothing.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
That doesnt dissprove my point. Casual players beating other casual players proves nothing.
Fair enough then. :]
Either way, the competition was great for my personal skill-level, and I feel that I learned a lot about keeping it cool during tournament matches; a problem I had a hard time dealing with in previous tourneys. ;)

Oh and Johnknight, I just read about that game on the Wikipedia link you provided, and I gotta say that's pretty funny. xD

Deva

Smash Lord
Hey, my first tournament had a bunch of radoms too. It didnt matter though, cuz I was bad as well. I won though, and it gave me the incentive to get better and eventually get to where I am today. Nice job, and keep at it. Before you know it you'll be placing with Link at much larger tournaments with better players as well.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
****, I love hearing a Link player placed Top 3 at a tourney.
Hell yeah people were cheering for Link. I always cheer for the low tiers at tournaments that go up against Spam Knights or Solid Snack.

Epic.

P.S.
Way to rain on someones parade Lil_Hero >_>

Top Bottom