• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Planking Info (G&W Added)

NNID
Budget_Player
Planking and "keeping a better position" are only interchangeable if you keep your opponent pressured towards the ledge. As long as that happens it's not actually stalling. If you want your opponent to stop camping the ledge then you should just let him get back on the stage. If he keeps camping the ledge he's de facto stalling.

:059:
Nope. You're falco, I'm MK. I have the lead on FD. I decide that the best position is the ledge. So what do I do? I grab the ledge, ledge-drop, hop around a little, and regrab the ledge when I either run out of jumps or you start to approach the ledge. This is not stalling, it's merely a very, very effective defensive position.

Browny

Smash Hater
Gotta love how the line is drawn so thickly between the above scenario where falco can never touch MK if he doesnt want to be hit, and circle camping. Whats the difference? One scenario is impossible to safely damage the other character while one is nearly impossible rofl.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
That is a potential problem with any form of stalling if you have a "Stalling is banned" rule. If they are doing it excessively throughout the match as you described, it can just deemed "excessive stalling" and the player is DQ'd/punished.

Are you saying here that any character that can stall should be banned..? The BBR and almost a decade of smash history disagree with you here, because a "Stalling is banned" rule has been around forever instead of just banning the character. And it's always worked in the past.

I think that the difference between this and something like rising pound or infinite wallbombs in melee is the fact that those other forms of stalling required a character specific ability, and thus wasnt even conceivable for the other characters in the game. nobody else in melee could indefinitely keep themselves in the air like puff could and nobody else in the game could bounce off of walls like peach could.

In this situation, every character in the game can grab and even camp the ledge, but its just that metaknights abilities make him so much better at it than every one else that it makes him completely untouchable.
No, all forms of stalling have no way of stopping them. That is the definition of stalling.

this is false.
Most forms of stalling have very easy and clear ways of stopping them. lets use sonic as an example. sonic can gain the percent lead and than run under the stage and use his homing attack to bounce off the bottom of the stage indefinitely. Its actually very easy to stop this. all you have to do is go under the stage and hit sonic with any move that has a decent amount of knockback, and it will stage spike sonic to his death. the problem with this is that 90% of characters will kill themselves in the process of this, and theres a possibility that sonic can tech the hit on the ceiling and continue to HA stall. Sonic is putting himself in an amazing position where you have to kill yourself to attack him. but most characters still CAN stop it.

With peachs wall bomb in melee, most characters could stop that too, just by going down and spiking her since she really has no means to defend herself, but once again its just that you have to kill yourself in the process.

The ACTUAL definition of stalling is avoiding any and all conflict by putting yourself in an un- or near un-touchable position.
Planking and "keeping a better position" are only interchangeable if you keep your opponent pressured towards the ledge. As long as that happens it's not actually stalling. If you want your opponent to stop camping the ledge then you should just let him get back on the stage. If he keeps camping the ledge he's de facto stalling.

:059:
so what you are saying is that its literally IMPOSSIBLE to edgeguard metaknight, and that as soon as he grabs the ledge, you are forced to go to the other side of the stage and let him back on. am I interpretting this right?

Doing the steps outlined in your post before would be considered planking
so he can do one of his other 20 off the ledge options, while he camps the ledge and that wont be considered planking or stalling? Even if they are 99% as hard to stop as the true invincible version of planking?

Top Bottom