• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Drop while shielding - Finally! OoS Options for Yoshi

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I always thought lucario's roll was the best... >.>

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yoshi's roll is only good when you get hit by something, so you roll farther. >_>

Man, I wish people told me about this. Now I'm no longer completely defenseless when I'm shielding on a platform! I always hated how people would wait for me to spotdodge or something, because no matter what I did I would get hit regardless.

Incidentally, did you guys know that Yoshi's shield isn't completely unpokable? I haven't been here in a while, so... :(

:069:

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
As in... if we are shielding on a platform (which, thanks to this, should happen less often now), then a character below us with an acute upwards hitbox (say, Meta Knight's u-tilt) can actually poke through our shield.

It's crazy. I was absolutely furious when I found this out. :ohwell:

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I can't do it by myself. >_>

Look, just ask a friend to hit you like that and you'll see.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It's not just MK. Diddy's u-tilt and Falco's u-tilt can also do it. There are most likely some others that can do it, too. :(

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Shielding on a platform is still pretty horrible. All someone has to do is wait for you to do something and you get hit. Of course, this makes it better.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Can snakes utilt get us here, i would test it but im too lazy

As in... if we are shielding on a platform (which, thanks to this, should happen less often now), then a character below us with an acute upwards hitbox (say, Meta Knight's u-tilt) can actually poke through our shield.

It's crazy. I was absolutely furious when I found this out. :ohwell:

You're right. Samus' uair occasionally pokes through Yoshi's shield, but only when I'm below, not from the sides.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Can snakes utilt get us here, i would test it but im too lazy
I'm pretty sure it can't. The hitbox is way too big to poke through it. It needs to be a sharp hitbox.

You're right. Samus' uair occasionally pokes through Yoshi's shield, but only when I'm below, not from the sides.
Like I said, this only happens when we are on platforms.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
This is great for Yoshi.
However, some Samus Main found this months ago.

Airborne

Smash Lord
what do you mean? o.o
When we are shielding an attack, we will move. If we are on a platform and move off the edge of the platform, we will go into that tumbling state (not freefall). If we are being hit by a multi-hitting move in the middle of this we can be "poked" in a way.

That is why I spam the sh*t out of jump while I am near the edge of a platform, and am shielding.

Yikarur

Smash Master
ahhh you was talking about shield poking? I got you wrong because the last post about it was on another page D:
but btw we don't tumble if we release the shield button before the shield slides off the platform.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yeah, but when my shield got poked from below I was sitting still in the middle of the platform...

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Actually, I got shield-poked three times recently. Twice with Meta Knight's Shuttle Loop on the edge of the stage and once with DK's d-smash. Ouch... =/

So yeah, apparently we can get shield-poked if we shield right next to the ledge, too. Fantastic.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Actually, I got shield-poked three times recently. Twice with Meta Knight's Shuttle Loop on the edge of the stage and once with DK's d-smash. Ouch... =/

So yeah, apparently we can get shield-poked if we shield right next to the ledge, too. Fantastic.

do you use gamecube controller?
it could also happen in the start-up of a roll/dodge/whatever without noticing it.
it feels ****ty to get hit while inside a egg so thats my main explanation most of the time.
Another explanation is a wiimote problem that only people like me have x(

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
No, I would know if I got hit out of those moves. I was definitely standing still.

Top Bottom