• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

play defensive?

Frost_Bite

Smash Cadet
i know Brawl is extremely defensive game, but is there any way for an offensive player to win?
in my opinion, i don think ppl who do not even think to approach anyone chould win, i mean in Melee, both offensive and defensive players could fight equally, but in Brawl, offensive players just die...
is there any extreme offensive player who can tell me how to win, or a good way to play?(not playing like... Ken-too hard for me)

(i use marth, and ike)

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
dude you proved yourself wrong before i could...you sayd that people who dont approach opponents (defensive) cant win, but then you said offensive players will die...so does that mean both offensive players AND defensive players are doomed? And how is brawl "extremely defensive"?
i want you to answer these and no one else...

please lurk more before you ask simple questions, and this should go in the tactical discussion anyway...

Kros

Smash Apprentice
I usually play Offensively and...I agree that the game is mainly defensive. But really depends on who you're playing.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
Who Writes A Thread And Doesnt Check It To See If Anyone Wrote Anything He Was Looking For???

ghey you cant do all caps...

Tenki

Smash Hero
I play Sonic and apparently, I'm an aggressive player ?_?

Aggressive players have to try to maintain the momentum and control of movement.

In a sense, I tend to approach defensively, that is, I look like I'm going to attack, but try to bait out a reaction, and if the opening is large enough, I'll get a hit in, start my momentum, and then play openly aggressive from that point on, until I lose momentum. Grabs are a nice way to start it up, since you can start a grab from a defensive position (shield), and you have 'full' control of your opponent from the grab, then chase/disrupt with your other attacks.

With Marth/Ike, you can do this by creating an attack aura that outranges your opponent (usually F-airs) and punishing moves that a defensive player might try to use against it.

Oh yes, and if you're gonna be playing aggressively, know how to read your opponent's reactions to certain moves (like if you jab x amount of times with Ike, will they roll behind you? Spotdodge? Roll away?) and be prepared to punish those moves.

Nokon

Smash Apprentice
i main diddy, he can go either. But I find offense out of no where is amazing, it usually throws the opponent off.

How is brawl a defensive game? Just because shielding is easier?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Doesn't matter.
Just don't get hit.

Frost_Bite

Smash Cadet
thx for ur tips
and i think i worded the question weird
and its not easy to not get hit u know, expacially when fighting chars like space animals, or any others who have long range attacks

Satria

Smash Rookie
Hey go easy on the fellow. He (or she) was just asking a question that should be taken seriously, and not be considered dumb.
Yes. I strongly agree with you. There is no stupid and dumb question when we are in the learning stage.

Frost_Bite

Smash Cadet
srry i could not check the tread; im a noob when comes to forums and i couldnt really get back on my pc due to mom issues

stratele

Smash Apprentice
I play toon link, and hes a defensive character.

I pick my attacks, use projectiles them move in then out. Quickly

Top Bottom