• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play with Honor , Make Brawl Fun - With Some Thoughts from Mew2King

Advance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlmaVulpix
3DS FC
0877-0828-1646
I agree I try to be sportsman like but no one else is
I play fairly, I just use moves, and if you can't handle my moves, too bad. Not really any trickery involved, such as chain-grabbing ect. I tend to think people that do that are afraid to really fight me take advantage of stupid things.

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
Maybe there could be a limit set on how many times in a row a player can grab the edge?
no bad idea what if they get knocked off to many times and need to grab the edge to recover some times happens to me

rehab

Smash Journeyman
And then when somebody gets hit off the edge and is trying to recover, they get the edge and then the other guy's right there, and they grab the edge a lot in a short period of time. Disqualified?

lol

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So people namedrop M2K a lot.
And this post pretty much sums up my thoughts on this thread as a whole. As far as competitive gaming goes, do whatever it takes to win as long as it's not cheating. This means that you can play as outlandishly gay as you want and you won't be at fault. It sucks, yes, but that's kind of how Brawl works right at the moment.

Anther

Smash Champion
Maybe there could be a limit set on how many times in a row a player can grab the edge?
That might work
No, that's silly, it can't work.
Number 1, there are counters to it.
2, arbitrary count things like that don't work. Let's say the magic number is 5. You do it 4-5 times, touch ground or something, then go back. I mean... it's only really a problem if you can't figure out how to beat it, but yah.

K 2

Smash Lord
Anther is right. It won't work. They will just find a way to beat the system. You need to beat the tactic, not make a rule. Breaking the tactic advances the metagame, making a rule doesn't.

PurpleAvenger

Smash Rookie
You'd have to prove somehow that the number makes sense. But I don't really see the point, ledgecamping isn't so hard to get around that it needs to be banned. Annoying and effective, sure, but not impossible to beat.

The theory behind games like this is simple. Let it stay a while, and a hard counter to it will probably rear its head. If not, and its still tweaking people off, its worth considering banning.

comboking

Smash Master
No, that's silly, it can't work.
Number 1, there are counters to it.
2, arbitrary count things like that don't work. Let's say the magic number is 5. You do it 4-5 times, touch ground or something, then go back. I mean... it's only really a problem if you can't figure out how to beat it, but yah.
I think he meant per match

SilentFalcon

Smash Apprentice
Wait, first of all, planking is where they hang out on the edge doing nothing, waiting for you to come over, right?

And I totally agree with this, except for the Chaingrabbing part. Chaingrabs should not be banned. Yes I play Falco, and if he didn't have a chaingrab, I would quit Falco and play Marth. There's no reason you can't prevent chaingrabbing in a match (because Falco's only works to a certain percent on certain characters, anyway). Preventing it altogether is bad.

SF

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
spoken by a truly close minded person. doing anything you can to win if anything would be "pathetic" because it's desperate. and look where that has gotten us, trying to ban characters "metaknight", I'm willing to take a guess that there are no issues with trying to ban characters there... alot of the stuff you mentioned above is what takes the fun out of the game which was a big point that this thread mentioned. I'm assuming you main fox, Go play a pro falco like sk92, seth, or chillin and tell me how fun the match was after you get 3 stocked.
but how would it be fun if i get 3 stocked?

XienZo

Smash Lord
I think that planking and stalling should be banned, and infinites could be considered. It has nothing to do with honor, but what stalling basically does is allow the staller to choose how long the match effectively is. Even though you can get hit, every 60 frames of invincible glowy-ness is basically a second removed from the total clock. They basically choose what the time limit is. Giving characters the ability to CHANGE THE RULE to their favor is not fair. Its basically allowing a character to choose whether to have a 4 minute match, 2 minute match, or a full time match, as much as they fancy. Therefore, you basically have a tournament with matches of VARYING effective time lengths. Also, note that time limits would not be "part of the game" if it had not been our need to have practical tournaments. We sacrifice a tiny amount of "fairness" (as in better player winning) so we can actually HAVE tournaments. However, what stallers do is that they INCREASE how much "fairness" is sacrificed for no actual gain except to them; the tournament actually could take LONGER from players using loopholes to sacrifice "fairness".

Honestly, there's nothing we can do really besides banning it or hacking it; there's no INBETWEEN option.

Anther

Smash Champion
I think that planking and stalling should be banned, and infinites could be considered. It has nothing to do with honor, but what stalling basically does is allow the staller to choose how long the match effectively is. Even though you can get hit, every 60 frames of invincible glowy-ness is basically a second removed from the total clock. They basically choose what the time limit is. Giving characters the ability to CHANGE THE RULE to their favor is not fair. Its basically allowing a character to choose whether to have a 4 minute match, 2 minute match, or a full time match, as much as they fancy. Therefore, you basically have a tournament with matches of VARYING effective time lengths. Also, note that time limits would not be "part of the game" if it had not been our need to have practical tournaments. We sacrifice a tiny amount of "fairness" (as in better player winning) so we can actually HAVE tournaments. However, what stallers do is that they INCREASE how much "fairness" is sacrificed for no actual gain except to them; the tournament actually could take LONGER from players using loopholes to sacrifice "fairness".

Honestly, there's nothing we can do really besides banning it or hacking it; there's no INBETWEEN option.
Umm, Jumping away and avoiding attacks adds a second to the timer, so does rolling/spotdodging.
Yeah that's a douche counter argument but what you're suggesting is a lil absurd XD... Especially with the fact that the tactic is entirely beatable, and you're saying the only way to stop it is by hacking the game XD.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Umm, Jumping away and avoiding attacks adds a second to the timer, so does rolling/spotdodging
Yeah that's a douche counter argument but what you're suggesting is a lil absurd XD... Especially with the fact that the tactic is entirely beatable.
I believe the ledge has a MUCH greater ratio of invicibility frames to vulnerability frame than spotdodging or rolling or air dodging. Since the invincibilty lasts several times as longer and you can let go and have your invincibility carry over, while to be invincible while rolling, spotdodging, and airdodging, you MUST follow the predictable path of moving to the side at a constant speed, staying still, or falling.

Smash Master
I don't understand why this is a bad idea. You grab it four times in a row (I'd put it at 3, btw), then you come to the stage and get punished. You do that enough and you'll lose.

XienZo

Smash Lord
I don't understand why this is a bad idea. You grab it four times in a row (I'd put it at 3, btw), then you come to the stage and get punished. You do that enough and you'll lose.
Can you tether afterwards? What if a NON-staller gets punished and hit off the stage everytime he jumps from the ledge or drops down, eventually forcing him to grab it a 5th time? Would he lose?

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Because it's too tedious to reinforce.
Person one: He grabbed it 3 times already... I think... so he has to come up now
Person two: Grabs ledge again
Person one: HEY, THAT WAS 4 LEDGEGRABS
person two: NO, IT WAS 2!
Person one: WTF! YOUR CHEATING, GET BACK ON STAGE.
Person two: WHAT? I CAN STILL GRAB IT ONCE MORE.
Or.
Person one knocks person two off stage.
Person two tries to recover.
Person one knocks person two away again.
Person one repeatedly grabs ledge in attempt to edgehog... wait... he can only do it 3 times.
Person one gets back on stage
Person two recovers. o_O

Seriously, the possibilities of these are endless. :D Let's make tournies a scream fest ey?

:093:

K 2

Smash Lord
This is obviously too difficult to reinforce. There generally hasn't been TOO much of a problem with ledgestalling. Most people do it occasionally during a game, but not to the extent of banning it.

Top Bottom