• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

play without bananas

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Ok so some falco challenged me to not use bananas, because he thinks that the reason I am beating him is solely because of them. So I accepted it. Turns out I tried to cheat and use bananas in the middle of matches and did WORSE. yea that might just be him being more cautious with bananas, but still. I was using moves I wouldn't normally use. i hardly ever use up air, because imo fair is so much better. I now use it as a combo finisher and realized (again and again) how awesome Bair and utilt are.

Play without bananas. For like 20 matches and you will notice a difference in your game. I even started SH throwing bananas, which I never do! :O

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i could've sworn i made a post about not using bananas in friendlies to boost your melee game up a while ago...i guess people dont listen to you unless youre NL, nanerz, or Alphazealot :laugh:

Count

Smash Champion
I listened GDX. I've been playing my roomie like this recently. He isn't completely terrible, but weak enough that i'm slightly better than him without nanas.

I tend to use bair a lot more.

Shurk

Smash Cadet
Ok so some falco challenged me to not use bananas, because he thinks that the reason I am beating him is solely because of them. So I accepted it. Turns out I tried to cheat and use bananas in the middle of matches and did WORSE. yea that might just be him being more cautious with bananas, but still. I was using moves I wouldn't normally use. i hardly ever use up air, because imo fair is so much better. I now use it as a combo finisher and realized (again and again) how awesome Bair and utilt are.

Play without bananas. For like 20 matches and you will notice a difference in your game. I even started SH throwing bananas, which I never do! :O
Definitely. When I first picked up Diddy(First Char), I never used bananas(bout 2months like this). I definitely feel like it gives me a bit of an edge to suddenly stop using bananas at all in the middle of a match.

denizen

Smash Apprentice
yeah i read that post awhile back gdx and played a lot of matches w/o bananas to improve my rally game. it did wonders. highly recommend it to any diddy that has not done this yet.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
The preson your facing scrub.

Tell him not to use chaingrab/blaster/reflector through the whole match.

...I guess that's not the point of the thread but thought I'd mention it

-:bowser:Bowser King

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yeah I had some problems against a Marth whenever I took out bananas... but I beat him without them >_> (it was because there was lag and Diddy + lag = fail; especially when you want to use bananas)

I do all those things while using bananas though. Banana to dashattack to uptilt is very common in my game. I don't rely on bananas like some others do... but it's easier with them.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
The preson your facing scrub.

Tell him not to use chaingrab/blaster/reflector through the whole match.

...I guess that's not the point of the thread but thought I'd mention it

-:bowser:Bowser King
Yea he wasn't allowed to use the blaster. And the chain grab isnt that dangerous. I don't get grabbed....

Irsic

Smash Ace
I try my best to not use naners as a staple, but it's really difficult.

Oh, and fair can kill really well if it's not dimished...but often times for me it is since it has a nearly disjointed hitbox. Diddy's uair is highly underrated, I've gotta get used to using it more.

DUB

Smash Lord
Yeah I remember seeing an old thread like this. It takes a while to get used to. I used the popgun and grabs a lot more. It's awkward but it's definitely good for your Diddy game.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
i just beat pro diddy in mirrors without using nanners twice
yes chrome im making u look bad lulz
Good job. And Chrome isnt a pro from what I know. Let's not get off topic here though.

I love OoS Bair. Nobody expects it and it even hits if your opponent is in front of you.

Irsic

Smash Ace
I decided to try this out today. I did really well. o.o In fact, I decided to try and spice things up and half way through some of the matches, pull up bananas....because they change your play style drastically. Though I found it easier to KO opponents when I didn't have bananas lying around. Hmm.

Though my opponent was slightly overwhelmed with the drastic change in playstyle. Hmm...

--E--

Smash Rookie
i could've sworn i made a post about not using bananas in friendlies to boost your melee game up a while ago...i guess people dont listen to you unless youre NL, nanerz, or Alphazealot :laugh:

And I posted one ages ago about over relying on bananas. ;)

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I approve of the general message of this thread, especially if your just picking up the monkey. Watch this video below displaying just some of what Diddy can do vs his current hardest match up, without the use of bananas. What do ya guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1C1Azc7C-w

-advent-
No chain grab???:O Also what's with your weird shielding?

I was watching a diddy ditto of Tek and somehthing taco. They were both at 150% and the one diddy did a fair and missed because of the start up lag, but the other did a Uair and hit for the KO. If the one diddy ( Tek I think) used Uair he would have got the KO. And the next stock he took 50% that was unnecessary. USE UAIR! IT saves your fair and comes out fast.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
No chain grab???:O Also what's with your weird shielding?

I was watching a diddy ditto of Tek and somehthing taco. They were both at 150% and the one diddy did a fair and missed because of the start up lag, but the other did a Uair and hit for the KO. If the one diddy ( Tek I think) used Uair he would have got the KO. And the next stock he took 50% that was unnecessary. USE UAIR! IT saves your fair and comes out fast.
Sheilding in brawl is really good. I used it to stop my momentum from running mostly if you notice. And my opponent is pretty good and knows how to get out the back and down throw chain grabs. Up throw is really good though.

And my newest matches I have up just so happen to be Dittoes take a look, there pretty good, and show case jus a little bit of my new play style ;)

Diddy Ditto 1

Diddy Ditto 2

-advent-

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
lol the falco wasnt very good like the guy said on your youtube lol and i watched the first video have way in and the only way it seems you too tried to get in was by rolling o.O lol and battlefield isnt a bad stage for diddy if your not using banana's lol

Well I guess me and that Falco player must truly suck, especially judging from that one video lolz.

-advent-

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
lol the falco wasnt very good like the guy said on your youtube lol and i watched the first video have way in and the only way it seems you too tried to get in was by rolling o.O lol and battlefield isnt a bad stage for diddy if your not using banana's lol
**** outta here n!gga dat **** was a sloppy match im pretty dam good bwoy u better act like u kno...

JakobFe

Smash Cadet
With diddy it's really easy to start a combo, which is good. :o

Even without the bananas, diddy's dangerous.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
lol nah real **** tho i aint see where u put judging off one match but boyyy u on da other side of da map ..

how ima play u?

diddy got a peanut gun so u got u some fiyah lol

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
I just re watched the match, and it is REALLY bad on both of our parts. What were we thinking lolz, any ways it was a long while ago. I think I'ma take it down and only keep my new matches up so I don't get judged off old ones. Not that those judgments matters anyways, im still one of the best lolz.

-advent-

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
I just re watched the match, and it is REALLY bad on both of our parts. What were we thinking lolz, any ways it was a long while ago. I think I'ma take it down and only keep my new matches up so I don't get judged off old ones. Not that those judgments matters anyways, im still one of the best lolz.

-advent-
bwoy u goddam righttttt

and im workin my way up.....

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I realize almost instantly how great the Bair is.

you can double Bair in a single short hop which is good for approaching.
The U-tilt i also discovered was great.

You dont need to stop playing bananas to see different aspects of diddy's game but i agree that banana spam does inhibit your growth/variety in attacking/approaching.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I realize almost instantly how great the Bair is.

you can double Bair in a single short hop which is good for approaching.
The U-tilt i also discovered was great.

You dont need to stop playing bananas to see different aspects of diddy's game but i agree that banana spam does inhibit your growth/variety in attacking/approaching.

Actually you do need to play without bananas to see dif aspects. When you are playing you are just looking for mistakes by your opponent to set up bananas. But without bananas you learn how to use your aerials better as well as your peanut.

IDK

Smash Lord
thank you le thien. greatly appreciated. i realized it was... but its the only one i remembered that talked about the same thing.

Top Bottom