• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing an agressive Gannondorf

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Now, as we all know, GDorf is a very defensive player. Poor mobility, poor range. However, I main GDorf, and recently all my friends started to counterpick against me. They use Marth(he isn't too good yet), R.O.B. (he is a superb player), and a few other characters like Pit and Kirby. Being defensive against that R.O.B. player is simple suicide.

So the question is, how do I play an offensive GDorf? I have tried in the past with limited success. But what kind of mind games, tricks, and tips can you guys share with me?

Shamoo

Smash Cadet
Im assuming the ROB player is using the projectiles to the fullest extent. All i can say is power shield tll your in range. And don't let him escape your range. Flame choke chain whenever possible.

ROBs a tough match up against campy players. IMO

HeoandReo

Smash Apprentice
Ganon has many approach options that he can use. Flame Choke, Wizard's Foot, dash attack, dash usmash, roll, approaching aerials, RAR'd bairs and uairs, etc. Use a few of those, mix it up a bit, so as not to be predictable.

Also, spikes are your friends.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
RAR'd aerials? Dunno what that is.

But no...this R.O.B. player uses projectiles, but he doesn't mind closing to range. I have never managed to beat him, although we are a perfect match. He uses item gliding alot, and I am getting the hang of countering that. He is an expert of gimping people off the edge at low percentages.

It isn't that bad, all thing considered. Now, when he tries to gimp me off either I gannoncide him or I get him with my up B before he can spike me, so that isnt a problem. But what are R.O.B.s weaknesses? I cant seem to get him unless I nail him at high percentages.

HeoandReo

Smash Apprentice
RAR is reverse aerial rush. You just dash, quickly turn around, and attack with aerials while going backwards. It can also be done with C-Stick set to Special.

I haven't really studied much about R.O.B.'s weaknesses, myself. But he is a large target, which makes him easy to hit, so you can follow up with about anything after a Flame Choke.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
It is landing that flame choke that is hard :p R.O.B. has a nasty little trick of being able to go directly from a spot dodge to his down smash. :S

And for the record, I use the wiimote + nunchuck config. :X

Shamoo

Smash Cadet
Just up DI out of ROBS down smash. The last hit that sends you flying from that smash won't connect, thus won't go flying. It works at any percent.

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
R.O.B. has trouble effectively killing, except for gimping. If I recall correctly, he also has trouble dealing with opponents directly below him. Ganon really is hard pressed to approach effectively against R.O.B., especially considering his d-smash. Flame Choke is probably your best option once up close, just don't let R.O.B. get his distance again, and don't recklessly rush into a d-smash.

Would a stage with platforms help? Think Battlefield, lightning beard etcetera.

Calixto

Smash Apprentice
Just up DI out of ROBS down smash. The last hit that sends you flying from that smash won't connect, thus won't go flying. It works at any percent.
I did not know that. ****in' sweet, does it work with all characters or is it a Ganondorf thing( due to his weight)?

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
ROB really has no weaknesses that gdorf can really take advantage of. Anyone saying he has trouble killing effectively isnt hitting with bairs off the edge or upb floating nairs near the top of the stage. ROB has a good amount of KO options, you just have to use them right. Gdorf is in for a long, crappy fight no matter what. To gimp ROB, try using uairs to get him off the edge and keep him off the edge, once he runs out of booster fuel, hes dead.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Oh shi-

Well that makes life easier. Okay, I am going to go do some play testing, and I will be back.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I need help with thunder storming. I use a wiimote+nunchuck, and I have the D-pad set up as my c-stick, but I still have alot of problems pulling it off. Any suggestions?

Also El Drago, I just noticed you live in the bay area. I am going to have to exchange codes with you so we can play, seeing as I do too. So few good GDorf players in Cali it seems like.

Top Bottom