• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing as more than one character.

Jezo

Smash Cadet
If this has been done before then I am sorry, I did search to see if it had been done before but couldn't find anything.

Some people I know consider playing with more than one character shows you're more skilful and better at brawl. However, I play as around 4 or 5 characters, but I know some people who often just about beat me every time as one character. Is it worth only playing as one character because it allows you to put all your attention solely to that one character? Or would it be better to practice with a variety of characters in order to not be ridiculed by others saying you're not good because you only play as one character? Surely someone who wins a lot with one shouldn't waste their time trying to find another character they will most likely lose with.

In my opinion I don't mind if someone plays as just one character because I can normally pick up on their movements over time and s/he'll still be guessing mine as I play as different characters.

Thoughts?

NNID
Budget_Player
If this has been done before then I am sorry, I did search to see if it had been done before but couldn't find anything.

Some people I know consider playing with more than one character shows you're more skilful and better at brawl. However, I play as around 4 or 5 characters, but I know some people who often just about beat me every time as one character. Is it worth only playing as one character because it allows you to put all your attention solely to that one character? Or would it be better to practice with a variety of characters in order to not be ridiculed by others saying you're not good because you only play as one character? Surely someone who wins a lot with one shouldn't waste their time trying to find another character they will most likely lose with.
It does require more skill to play multiple characters at a high level. You not only have to pick up different tactics for each character and make sure that you don't **** them up (this is also a trick, trust me), but you also have to learn the characters individually. It's very time- and skill-consuming.

This skill is, however, not rewarded by conventional rulesets. If your friends are *****ing about someone having no skill because he only plays one character, point out the results screen to them and say, "Okay. Now who's in first place, you or me?"
The game doesn't care about how you win, only that you win. There have been a few rulesets suggested as alternatives (tier wars is particularly well-thought out; you should take a look), but all in all the only reward to maining multiple characters is having a pocket character for bad matchups (for example, if your main is ICs, you need a secondary like Olimar or DDD to deal with Snake), but most top chars either have bad matchups that aren't relevant (Diddy), no matchups that are bad enough to truly worry about (Snake), or no bad matchups at all (Metaknight).

In my opinion I don't mind if someone plays as just one character because I can normally pick up on their movements over time and s/he'll still be guessing mine as I play as different characters.

Thoughts?
Good luck keeping your mindgames up on multiple chars, I guess?

Jezo

Smash Cadet
Lol, when I said "Thoughts?" I meant in general about the whole topic.

And, yeah, that's what I thought, but whenever I say it doesn't matter how someone wins as long as they win they should be allowed to stick with whoever they want, they just moan at that player because it's not fun playing against them.

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
Personally I side a lot of characters due to boredom and helping my friends learn what character they want to main. Some say that playing as a different character tends to help ease stress on losing so much with another character.

One important way I look at it is that if you main someone like Donkey Kong, expect to have a weakness (Dedede T_T), so it wouldn't hurt to know how to play as someone else that could stand up against dedede. Not to support MK, but if you want someone who doesn't really run into this problem just main Meta Knight. Even if you just want to side him, he'll be your safety net for any character your main has a problem with.

Apollo$

Smash Ace
I play my fair share of side characters but I'm not really confident to use them in tournament matches. Keep them ready for friendlies

SMAAAASH!

Smash Cadet
If you are serious about serious play, pick 1-3 characters. Focus on mainly one though. Other two characters should compliment your current main's weaknesses. Rock Paper Scissors.

Other characters should be used for friendlies.

Top Bottom