• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Brawl with one hand: An Unfair Advantage?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I have a good friend that I've known for a long time now, and he has played Melee, and Brawl, with only one hand. He had an accident a long time ago that made his other hand pretty much useless - especially for video game playing. However, that didn't deter him, and he became an expert player with only one hand at his disposal.

However, upon talking to said friend today, he told me that all MLG sponsored tournaments would not let him participate. Why? Because his one-handed playing gave him an "unfair advantage." What I want to know is, how is that possible? How is playing with one hand considered an unfair advantage? Why does it matter if a person "chooses" to handicap themselves by playing with one hand as opposed to two? I don't really see any logic in the decision made by MLG here, and I think that there should be something done about it.

Gill

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****ing ****.

To hell with MLG.

I can't even imagine the logic behind that.

Shuma

Smash Hero
I assume because that makes him unpredictable... other than that, i dunno... They're crazy madmen?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I assume because that makes him unpredictable... other than that, i dunno... They're crazy madmen?
unpredictable? He's still gonna be doing the same moves and stuff, geez <_<. Unless you look at your opponents controller while playing, then you're just weird.

Gill

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they were trying to prevent the insane levels of soreloserness people would have gotten by getting beaten by a one-handed player, yeah.

Betaz

Smash Ace
>.> I'm pretty sure they were talking about how other players would have an "unfair advantage" over him....

Icelement

Smash Cadet
Are we talking about the same guy that posted a few times on some other threads around here? I've seen some posts of someone playing with a hand and foot, due to a faulty arm from an accident or birth defect, etc. I can't imagine why anyone would ever think that it is reasonable to restrict someone from playing in a tournament with a handicap. I can imagine if he had 4 arms, he'd have an advantage that no other person has. This case however, is an 'advantage' that ALL PLAYERS can choose to replicate themselves. It really, truly, makes no sense whatsoever.

Gill

Smash Journeyman
OH NO WAIT! I figured it out!

THATS the unfair advantage! The amount of bragging he would get would be TWICE as much as any other player when he wins.

iron blade

Smash Ace
I don't see any logic behind that. Even if the other players felt at an advantage against him or something about sore losers is no reason to not let him play. Even if they feel that he's at a disadvantage, that's no reason to not let him compete. If he wants to he should be able to.

To hell with MLG.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
Well, thats dumb. 'grats to your friend to actually play properly with one hand. That must require a weird setup.

I always hated MLG, they disgust me. And I guess they won't listen to a word you say and keep their crappy "unfair" argument forever.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
....maybe you guys should ask MLG first before coming to conclusions? I do not believe what your friend said was true; MLG has never, nor will ever, discriminate due to handicaps.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
....maybe you guys should ask MLG first before coming to conclusions? I do not believe what your friend said was true; MLG has never, nor will ever, discriminate due to handicaps.
I was about to say this, your friend was confused, or exaggerating to sound ennobled. You could play in MLG with your feet if you wanted to, MLG or any other tournament would only require you are using a legit controller, and that if what you're doing is disruptive (ie ask to play with your *** cheeks), then to discuss any accomodations in advance.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
MLG isn't stupid. They wouldn't say something like this. Your friend must've heard wrong, or something.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I was about to say this, your friend was confused, or exaggerating to sound ennobled. You could play in MLG with your feet if you wanted to, MLG or any other tournament would only require you are using a legit controller, and that if what you're doing is disruptive (ie ask to play with your *** cheeks), then to discuss any accomodations in advance.
My friend is a pretty intelligent guy (just being honest), I don't think he would make as big of a mistake as that. But I guess he can go back to wherever he went and try to register again, I suppose. We'll see what happens. But honestly, I really think that it's MLG who's at fault here.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I suggest he PM:s one of the users of these forums (most of which, if not all, are Moderators) who work for MLG/collaborate with them.

I can't imagine the logic behind claiming that playing with only one hand is some kind of an advantage. Heck, Chu Dat MM's people one-handed to handicap himself.

Night Avenger

Smash Journeyman
LOL, make him sign in as any 2 handed player but when he begins brawling, make him brawl with just one hand... XD

fluffy

Smash Champion
Maybe they meant to say that it's an unfair advantage to the other people. Cause I don't see any logic the other way around.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Make your friend a straw arm when signing up ^_^

Other than that i'm pretty sure if you keep the one handed playing on the down low your friends opponents wont complain and your friend can play MLG w/o having to worry.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
There are professional one-handed players.

(I mean that they play with one hand, not that they only have one hand.)

kamekasu

Smash Ace
I think you misunderstood what your friend was trying to say. It is more likely that MLG restricts the use of custom controller settings set to give one-handed players an advantage. It is unlikely that MLG would discriminate against players with disabilities.

I know both AlphaZealot and Chu are proficient one-handed players. It is possible to play Smash Bros. with one hand without custom controller settings.

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
Did your friend talk directly to the MLG people? Or was it just some guy that heard from another that... you know what i mean. People with actual authority, that is.
I really dont see any problems with him participating with one hand. If they wont allow it, make him fake it by putting his other hand on the controller, but never use it.

Top Bottom