• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing in different ways.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I feel like I've hit a plateau in my play, which is annoying me. So, I've decided that the best way to try and fix this is mixing things up a bit. Taking an idea from one of Milln's threads a while ago (not using f-air and seeing what you could come up with), I've decided to list different ways to play if anyone else wants to try them.

* Don't use x move (try with D-air or f-smash... even just plain no smashes, gets interesting)
* Play on a stage made of ice. This one's proving interesting... completely changes how you move. I decided to mess around with lucas, and found I could combo with the stick if I used the move right. Can't wait to see what I can do with Lucario
*Play on conveyor belts- spacing nightmare, but who knows, might make me better.
*Play on numerous small platforms for precision

Everyone else, post your ideas on different ways to play- who knows, you might find something interesting!

Timbers

check me out
Intentionally hindering yourself I don't think is an effective method to learn. Only when you have all the tools at your disposal is when I think you can learn to weed out what works and what doesn't. Forcing yourself not to use a move won't teach when it's proper to use it and when not.

I'm all for expanding your horizons, but I think it's just better to experiment with new methods while playing. Putting handicaps on yourself I can't think will do anything but hurt you.

Everence

Smash Apprentice
One way of improving my Lucario game was to play another character (in my case, Snake). Previously I was pretty bad at using tilts, simply because they often ended up as either a jab, smash attack or a dash attack. By using Snake who uses his tilts quite heavily it enabled me to start using tilts alot better with Lucario.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Intentionally hindering yourself I don't think is an effective method to learn. Only when you have all the tools at your disposal is when I think you can learn to weed out what works and what doesn't. Forcing yourself not to use a move won't teach when it's proper to use it and when not.

I'm all for expanding your horizons, but I think it's just better to experiment with new methods while playing. Putting handicaps on yourself I can't think will do anything but hurt you.
Actually, staying away from a kill move makes it easier to kill with the move later in the match, when the opponent is weak enough to get killed. It keeps your move from degrading.

Milln

Smash Champion

Take the fair example I did a few months ago. Everyone was using fair for everything as soon as they hit the sky. By taking out a move that you automatically instinctively go out of your way to use, you begin to see other, potentially much better, possibilities that you previously blinded yourself to. I've become a much better Lucario player since I did that because now I can consider scenarios instead of deciding when to fair.

Putting that handicap is an easy way to experiment, since you're not thinking about a particular move at ALL and figuring out ways that your other moves can work out.

Then, when you put that move back in... all of a sudden a whole new world of options opens up.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Play on a stage with the ceiling right above the ground. This makes aerial combat all but impossible and forces you to work on your ground game. Really, the only thing it's good for though is spacing F-smashes....

You know, you could just play on PKMN stadium 2 and you'd get Ice, Low Gravity, and Conveyor belts all in one.

I do have a little game to practice DI. Though it's not Lucario specific. Just put yourself in one of those boxes so that you never die, make it as big as possible. Also, put a few blocks on the stage. One on each corner and a few random ones floating in the air. Go to sudden death mode and place yourself against a Lvl 9 Ganon. Rule is, NO ATTACKING. Your objective is to have Ganon hit you and try to crash into one of the boxes it actually improved my DI because previously, I would die about 40% earlier due to terrible DI.

It may also help to but the speed on fast and have maybe 3 Ganons.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Actually, the inspiration for this idea was Milln's earlier topic about what you could do without f-air. I just wanted to take it farther. It doesn't make you worse, and instead forces you to be better and more creative since those reflexes you build up when you play a certain way for too long can't take effect.

*Perhaps playing on a final destination made entirely of falling blocks, so that you have to keep moving.
*Another idea was fighting solely using the soccer ball item. They show trajectories quite nicely, definitely useful for getting used to how your moves launch people.

Improvisation is better than practicing canned strings of attacks, and what better way to force yourself to improvise than by imposing new rules/limits/factors on your play.

Oh, and playing on Ice is strange. You have to think completely differently... I find I'm getting better at dealing with how opponents move after hits, since the exaggerated effects of momentum make it really clear what's going on.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Azen has a hacked Wii.
hasn't that been proven already? All the lag from wifi, isnt from ppls connections, its from Azen's wii. He makes lag, so you move in lag, but he does not.

Play without Fair?!?! o0, impossible.

Oh and I heard about the CPU lucario too.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Thread hijacked. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted :p

Those level 1s are brutal. It's a trick for those who don't know... they're secretly able to use final smashes at will... shhhh... don't tell anyone.

Timbers

check me out
Take the fair example I did a few months ago. Everyone was using fair for everything as soon as they hit the sky. By taking out a move that you automatically instinctively go out of your way to use, you begin to see other, potentially much better, possibilities that you previously blinded yourself to. I've become a much better Lucario player since I did that because now I can consider scenarios instead of deciding when to fair.

Putting that handicap is an easy way to experiment, since you're not thinking about a particular move at ALL and figuring out ways that your other moves can work out.

Then, when you put that move back in... all of a sudden a whole new world of options opens up.
I don't feel I need to handicap myself to improve my game. It was only my opinion, considering he was asking what ways I improve with my Lucario. I just play regularly and experiment with different methods.

Considering how dependent Lucario's game is against the character he's facing, It's best for me to see what's the most effective approach to every situation when playing against that character.

Again, only opinion.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Ah, there's part of the issue. I was asking people to post things they thought they could do that aren't normal that could have a beneficial effect.

In regards to just playing normally, to each their own. I find that just playing I tend to build up reflexes that make me predictable, and that restricting myself from those reflexes allows me to be more flexible in my play, which in turn improves that overall game you were talking about. As I said though, to each their own.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Ah, there's part of the issue. I was asking people to post things they thought they could do that aren't normal that could have a beneficial effect.

In regards to just playing normally, to each their own. I find that just playing I tend to build up reflexes that make me predictable, and that restricting myself from those reflexes allows me to be more flexible in my play, which in turn improves that overall game you were talking about. As I said though, to each their own.
We never shot down Infi-Tan when he did this... I'm for trying it, since it's not like our metagame discussion is going any better. I personally believe that what marks a good player is to not panic, and fall into a predictable/desperate mindset.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Handicapping yourself does help sometimes. It helps reduce your dependency on certain attacks and allows you to find new uses for other attacks. One of my friends mains Diddy Kong and he NEEDS bananas to play so we forced him to stop using bananas and he got WAY better. That is kind of an extreme example but the idea is still there. Playing people that are better then you is another really good way to get better.

Milln

Smash Champion
I don't feel I need to handicap myself to improve my game. It was only my opinion, considering he was asking what ways I improve with my Lucario. I just play regularly and experiment with different methods.

Considering how dependent Lucario's game is against the character he's facing, It's best for me to see what's the most effective approach to every situation when playing against that character.

Again, only opinion.
I (don't) like how Timbuhz says a bunch of crap and then flails around saying "THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION I'M NOT WRONG YOU CAN'T FLAME OR DISPROVE ME, THOUGH EVERYTHING YOU SAID IS WRONG AND EVERYTHING IN MY PREVIOUS POST IS CORRECT" like he's from GameFAQS or something. I love Timbuhz all day, but whenever he does stuff like this, he pisses me off.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I think this technique works. I remember when I tried to master lucario aireals the only thing I used was aerials for my matches. Literally the only other attack I use was grabs to get them in the air. Also when people said I roll to much I took rolling out of my game completely. I found my self less dependent on them.

Top Bottom