• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing "Safely"; how exactly?

Statistics

Smash Cadet
Many of the good players space their aerials such that shield-grabbing in response is not possible, and in almost all cases even attacking in response is not possible.

A local player that I know air-dodges at a specific time during his jump, such that he lands invincibly and can still shield. This vexes me. Double-jumping should never be safe, but if I hit his landing he perfect-shields every time. If I throw out an early attack, he lands invincibly and punishes.

As a Snake player, I cannot space with aerials. I only have the first hit of f-tilt, as u-tilt and d-tilt are never safe, ever. Therefore, my spacing relies mostly upon C4 and grenades, both of which are shieldable and air-dodge-able. Because they DO NOT force the other player to move away (like perfect aerials do), it does not force defensive play and as such I cannot capitalize offensively without a lucky guess, a platform, or without being in their face after a dodge of some kind, which of course goes against the defensive explosive strategy.

For the life of me, I can't figure out a safe way to play Snake. It seems like the simple, not-projectile-dependant characters have an easier way of winning; just space and punish, or space and force a 50/50 mindgame as opposed to the standard shield>attack>grab>shield mindgame. Metaknight is the epitome of this strategy.

Safe players annoy me, but I'm not here to complain, I'm here to win. How do you stop the "aggressive defense" of spaced aerials without running into their face and initiating a shield>attack>grab>shield game?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If they airdodge into a shield or anything else, you should be able to grab them before they attack.

Jon64

Smash Cadet
If you can't time the grab right, just start holding A when they do the AD thing. The rapid punches ought to get him.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
If he approaches from the air, shoot off a mortar or two. Or, shield drop a grenade, pick it back up and time it so that you shield right before it goes off.

Pressure is the name of the game with Snake.

RBNuke

Smash Apprentice
As far as I've seen, a continuous or frame perfect attack can peg someone as they land no matter what as there seems to always be that one frame when you hit the ground. I don't recall snake having any of those, though.

It depends on the character you're up against as to how you can approach. For characters like kirby and most toon links, you can just run at them, slide perfect shield through their arial, and then land a fast dash attack or ftilt. Characters like G&W are a lot harder to approach. Use grenades, nikitas, and other things to put the pressure on the other guy. Also try upsmashing and well-timed smash boosting. I also don't see why you don't like to use his other tilts. They're all instant smashes and have very little ending lag. Just remember to keep utilt fresh

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I also don't see why you don't like to use his other tilts. They're all instant smashes and have very little ending lag. Just remember to keep utilt fresh
They're really not safe at all. For example, Wolf can respond to all his blocked tilts and jab combo with a free 18% damage upsmash into juggle setup.

acv

Smash Journeyman
try to learn how to move while you are doing an aerial.for example doing snake's nair while retreating this prevents from getting shield grabbed

Recognize

Smash Journeyman
Many of the good players space their aerials such that shield-grabbing in response is not possible, and in almost all cases even attacking in response is not possible.

A local player that I know air-dodges at a specific time during his jump, such that he lands invincibly and can still shield. This vexes me. Double-jumping should never be safe, but if I hit his landing he perfect-shields every time. If I throw out an early attack, he lands invincibly and punishes.

As a Snake player, I cannot space with aerials. I only have the first hit of f-tilt, as u-tilt and d-tilt are never safe, ever. Therefore, my spacing relies mostly upon C4 and grenades, both of which are shieldable and air-dodge-able. Because they DO NOT force the other player to move away (like perfect aerials do), it does not force defensive play and as such I cannot capitalize offensively without a lucky guess, a platform, or without being in their face after a dodge of some kind, which of course goes against the defensive explosive strategy.

For the life of me, I can't figure out a safe way to play Snake. It seems like the simple, not-projectile-dependant characters have an easier way of winning; just space and punish, or space and force a 50/50 mindgame as opposed to the standard shield>attack>grab>shield mindgame. Metaknight is the epitome of this strategy.

Safe players annoy me, but I'm not here to complain, I'm here to win. How do you stop the "aggressive defense" of spaced aerials without running into their face and initiating a shield>attack>grab>shield game?
Quit reading there. A snake player complaining about the one thing he doesn't have. I love this.

Top Bottom