• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing smart or Playing safe?

Mr.Kalos

Smash Cadet
I just figured something out.

At tournaments I allways play safe. I dont go for any combos, I just Shield grab get some Nairs in and pray I win.

This is because im nervous.

But Am I playing smart or playing safe?

and if im playing safe is their anything to brake this cycle. ( I never win T.T )

Sariku

Smash Master
It depends on your "combos." Stuff like Shine Spikes isn't risky at all, but then using Marths DAir is risky if done wrong.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Playing safe can be risky in itself, as you are often allowing your opponent to live longer. Playing Smart > Playing 'safe'

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I went to my first tournament 2 weeks ago, and for my first 5 matches my legs were shaking. Then I played some friendlies, got used to the atmosphere, and starting trying to execute some combos.

If you're always losing, I think trying something else out might be a good idea.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Playing safe is probably a subcategory of playing smart. If you see that your opponent knows some 0 to death combos, play safe. By doing that, you are technically playing smart. BUT, if you are playing safe as a nervous reaction, then fix that. Don't be nervous, it makes you lose.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Playing Smart = good = playing safe. always have your *** covered. but don't let it limit you. know what you can do, know how/ when to use it, and how to be safe while using it. if you can do crazy combos consistently, no point in not, just make sure to be safe while doing it.

Vitamin X

Smash Journeyman
*Cliche alert*

The best defense is a good offense.

Not entirely true, but being effective on offense helps you stay alive longer. You opponent usually can't attack effectively while they're taking hits.

Also, I know from experience that staying in shield doesn't work too well against higher ups who can basically nullify the lag on their aerials via L-cancelling and seem to know exactly when to grab. (I used to rely on ^B out of shield, so I know what you're talking about.)

Mr.Kalos

Smash Cadet
Thanks guys, so

-Suck it up
-Be a man
-Eat some cheetos
-go for the amazing combos and suicidish edgeguards. risk<reward
-If you're always losing,trying something else out might be a good idea.
-Don't be nervous, it makes you lose.

Whoo one more thing to add to my SSBM brain :D

goateeguy

Smash Ace
i've never been to a tourney, so i'll just say to spam until someone catches on, and if u make it that long u'll know a lot more about their playing style XD. Now get out there and don't die.

Mr.Kalos

Smash Cadet
well I mean ill sit down and think of some mindgames

but when I need it I just freeze up. Its so weird O_o

Nephiros

Smash Ace
I'd rather risk stupid stuff and do something totally awesome than care about losing or winning. Unless I have to defend my honor (:

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Play as how you are use to. if you try new things, chances are your gonna mess up cause your not use to it and due to the fact that your nervous. When in friendlies, there you can try what ever you want. There is no pressure on you cause the fight is not as serious as a tournament one. I recommend playing it smart there. When one plays it safe, they are more on the fear side, thus people get nervous. and are afraid to try things that might just work. (you never know). Do things to your friends that you would not do in a tournament fight cause you was scared. Once you keep working on it, it will be second nature to you. Thus in tounaments you will use what you just learned and it will help you. and you wont be so nervous. I use to be Nervous when I have to face bum in weeklie tournaments. Now Im not cause Im already use to it and I'm not afraid to try things that may help me win the fight cause I worked on it. I get close and do better against him now, but of course I cant take him out just yet. Guy is a monster.

Mr.Kalos

Smash Cadet
well, when playin' wit fox ill go in for a shine spike ill miss get nervous and side B halfway down the lvl >:(

And plus the Turny tvs we use a big laggy ones!

SCOTU

Smash Hero
well, when playin' wit fox ill go in for a shine spike ill miss get nervous and side B halfway down the lvl >:(

And plus the Turny tvs we use a big laggy ones!
If that's the case, then you haven't gotten that sort of shine spiking consistent, and you shouldn't use. Use anything you're comfortable & consistent with.

Lag doesn't have much to do w/ shine spike recovery.

No johns, either don't use laggy TVs, or practice on them before hand.

Go to more tournaments so that you're less nervous while playing in them. It's really the only way to get over that.

Good Luck.

MooseMan

Smash Rookie
I think it depends on the player your playing and the character they're playing with.
If they play with someone slow you should probably try to combo more.
If they play with someone like Fox or Falcon, you might try more defensive stuff.

Top Bottom