• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing the Game for Fun

Do you ever feel the same?

• Total voters

RagingCherry

Suuuuup!
NNID
RagingCherry
So a lot recently, I've had mixed feelings about the game. I haven't been playing serious besides the week of tournaments or so. I've found myself mostly playing non-mains or trying to mimic other character's and beat people with their characters. Not trying to be a **** about it lol, but I definitely don't enjoy going my hardest all the time (Renth now I understand). I've seen how others rage out during games, and hate feeling that way.

Although my tag is RagingCherry, I haven't been a rager in years lol. Coming from a Call of Duty background and being relatively new to the smash community has been a drastic change. I love everything about the game, and the challenge of mastering a character and learning new characters, but I've lately found more fun in playing other characters and seeing a challenge in that as well. Plus I don't put any pressure on myself when I'm playing a non-main.

I'm not leaving the game or anything, so those in FL don't think I'm depressed and looking for a way out. Just something I've seen lately. I host weekly smashfests at my house, and large monthly smashfests at UCF. But playing the weeklies I've always had some sort of stress while playing; but the last time I played friendlies I didn't play any of my mains once, and I had more fun than I've had playing the game in a while.

Another thing that I've seen, since I'm a relatively new player (started with PM a year ago, first played melee this summer) is that when I play more experienced players they rage if I take a game off of them. I get frustrated when I lose to someone I think I should beat, but I'm never vocal about it or show it. I believe people should win/lose with class. I've been a competitor my whole life, most recently a collegiate wrestler, so sportsmanship is a huge thing to me. Whether I lose by a point or by pin, I still shake my opponents hand and get pissed later on about it. I tend to lose respect for those who lose their **** while playing. There's always a difference in friendly battering and talking someone down.

TLDR:
1) I don't play serious or my mains all the time because I've found it more fun to play whoever, and just enjoy the game. Video games are about having fun right?
2) Win/Lose the game with class, nerds!

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
Not having fun and you would be doing something wrong.

Improvement can mainly only come from enjoyment.

SAUS

Smash Ace
"One can only improve if they are willing and dedicated to do so."
Basically this. There was something someone said once, and it was something like this: "If someone is salty (bitter, upset - usually at a loss or misplay), it just shows that they care about the game a lot". Yes, it is important to have good sportsmanship, but in order to be good at the game, you have to care that you lost.

Playing for fun and playing to win are both lies. It's all about playing to be better, and thus win and have fun at the same time. What you describe is more like 'playing to screw around'. Not a bad thing, but don't look down on people who want to get better at the game.

Top Bottom