• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing With 3 Other People.. Does it Change Your Playstyle?

Crappin Falcon

Smash Rookie
well, I used to main Snake.. I mastered some advanced grenade techs, I was "alright" at cooking my grenades.. but then I started playing online.

ever since I started playing with 4 people online, I had no idea how I should play. I tried camping and failed HORRIBLY. 1 grenade throw every 2 or so seconds isn't enough to stop an onslaught of 3 other people.. especially since most people target the person camping because they're a nuisance. so I really just stuck to grenade -> grab and grenade -> shield.. now I'm wondering that if I were better, normal camping would've been the best option.

any advice?

inb4"yourtopicisinthewrongforum"

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Your strategy is markedly different in a FFA. There's no camping; you just try to benefit from the chaos around you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Definitely is less campy, I play Diddy, and I rarely even use bananas in Free For Alls, only when I can face a character one on one for a little time.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Diddy's nana's are actually a great asset in FFA - but no nana camping. It's really best for making more chaos.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah kinda, but you need to stand away from the crowd to do so. I prefer rushing in a lot with DACUS U Smashes then follow up with whatever, or do dash attacks. I wanna play much less defensive in FFA.

:phone:

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
You just have to adapt the situations. Sometimes you can camp but after a while they'll get tired of you getting free damage on them and come after you. Some players try to avoid getting caught in the mayhem and wait until one of the three gets within KO percentages then goes for the KO.

guapo

Smash Apprentice
i tend to like playing with 3 people because it helps for doubles for when ur partner makes stupid mistake which puts you in a pickle and have to pull of the clutch move so playing with 3 somewhat helps

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
The make the most of FFAs try to understand everything going. Reading 3 people at the same time is great for doubles at least. Also might help you react faster when you are concentrating on so much. (silly thongs) 1v1 still better for you though.

Magicalslowpoke

Smash Rookie
ive played a... healthy amount of basic brawl, with also a lot of 1v1, playing a lot of ffa definitely helps you learn to fight and avoid people, also good for training new characters. ive gotten good with 2 characters the past week destroying people on BB

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Whenever I'm against more than one, I always stay off to the side, so I can't be surrounded by my opponents, and I then focus on one opponent, defeat him/her, and then focus on someone else.

OmegaZeroX

Smash Cadet
What FoxBlaze71 said: "...just try to benefit from the chaos around you."

Camping should rarely/not be used during FFA, try to lay grenades around more rather than tossing them, since there are more players, you're bound to get one. playing with 3 other people forces you to adapt to a new style, since you main Snake just try and lay down wide range explosives (IE Grenades here and there, C4 on occassions, U-Smash, etc...). That's what I do, I can't guarantee victory...but it should make playing with 3 others alot more beneficial.

Clownbaby

Smash Apprentice
ffa changes the strategy from survive to kill. which means camping is ineffective and slow powerful smashes work better than they should. its important to save your kill moves so that you can capitalize when the time is right. For the love of christ abuse that power shield (less time or space for grabs) and stop spot-dodging. But remember just because you can't camp doesn't mean you can't use lots and lots of projectiles.

:phone:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
What FoxBlaze71 said: "...just try to benefit from the chaos around you."

Camping should rarely/not be used during FFA, try to lay grenades around more rather than tossing them, since there are more players, you're bound to get one. playing with 3 other people forces you to adapt to a new style, since you main Snake just try and lay down wide range explosives (IE Grenades here and there, C4 on occassions, U-Smash, etc...). That's what I do, I can't guarantee victory...but it should make playing with 3 others alot more beneficial.
Not to forget that DACUS is super effective in FFA.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who camps in free for alls and does better BECAUSE of it? I just kinda sorta pretend not to camp and let the other players kill each other. Sometimes I end up with three stocks when everyone else has only one.

...But this wouldn't work against three players of great skill, I'm certain of that. And it also doesn't seem to work in BB, because BB is just pure insanity. u_u

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't usually play with 3 other people, but when I do, I stop being serious.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Am I the only one who camps in free for alls and does better BECAUSE of it?
In stock it does, because it's all about survival. In time and coins, it wont work.

How to do well. Like a lot of people said, there is just more going on. You really need to be adaptable and go with the flow. There are also new tactics that will work in this setting and some from 1v1 that wont work at all (chain grabbing is the best example). Just learn and figure it out.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Yeah, maybe you'll rush into the group and your overpowered Usmash or annoying aerial will hit one person. Maybe you'll just decide to sit back and spam PK Fire like an *******. But Snake can control the stage like no other character can. Plus he has the intolerably gay Ftilt.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I camp super duper hard in Free-for-alls and, depending on the game type, either snipe kills by edge guarding in a time match, or plank it up until it comes down to 1 on 1 with a stock advantage in a stock match.

On coin match I just play IC's and take Nana's coins.

Arch-Raven

Smash Rookie
Yeah I prefer 1 vs 1 fights. Whenever I vs more than one person I just use mind tricks to get them to fight each other, and then benefit from their high damage to rack up KOs :p

1 vs 1 allows you to focus on the fighting, and not be stuck in a world of chaos. :3

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
FFA isn't the same thing as 1v1 or even doubles.

The mindset is different due to the fact everyone is an enemy you gotta kill. Be aware of your surrounding when people are really close by and what they are doing, you may be attacking one person but then someone comes from behind and hits ya.

Best advice, camping doesn't work per say if people start to notice it, then you get ganged up on, I don't mind because not people who FFA with me I can do a 3v1, well most not all some people can still get the best of me if they do gang up.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, maybe you'll rush into the group and your overpowered Usmash or annoying aerial will hit one person. Maybe you'll just decide to sit back and spam PK Fire like an *******. But Snake can control the stage like no other character can. Plus he has the intolerably gay Ftilt.
Lucas is still the better character (NOTE:Talking about 4vs here, as well as teams without friendly fire).

First, Snake's big claim to fame is his great forward strong. This move is good, but it's more it's speed than power. Compared to other attacks, it actually isn't that strong (I'll have to go and check how strong. I haven't tasted it. More what I see from matches). It's the speed and range that make it good. Lucas's forward Smash is probably stronger and he has better moves overall. Snake's weakness when you put him in a 4vs setting is that he is unconventional and is punished more for his moves. His B, VB and Down Smash can hurt him and does more knockback to him than anyone else. His moves are also strange as many of them have long endings, so you are in a worse position if it doesn't work for you. A big reason I say Lucas is better is he is just a more basic character with great attacks, and that is what really helps in a free for all. Great Smash moves, his up B becomes a nice sneak attack that breaks crowds and gets smash balls and his PK Fire is a great midrange projectile. He also has great throws and some OK air moves (with only his up air being a real killer).

The second big thing is controlling space is a lot harder when there are more people. Snake preforms really well in 1v1 because his abilities lend him better to a setting with less chaos and more options for traps. But in a big Brawl, you have a lot less room to maneuver and a lot more going on. Usually, the match has it's own flow. Sometimes you have more control, sometimes others do. You have to adapt to win, not try and control it. Flow like water if it makes any sense.

Snake is still a good character, even in 4vs. He is heavy, good recovery, strong attacks. I just think there are a few characters who are just better and have tools that are more useful for the setting (and no, Meta-Knight isn't one of them).

And Red Ryu is a smart guy. I would say camping is only useful in stock matches. Not time or coins.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I generalized a bit too much, but I my point is still pretty much the same. I realize a lot of his attacks have copious ending lag; but some others are very useful in a FFA. Not to mention how effective nades are when thrown into a group of people, since one person is bound to hit.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I generalized a bit too much, but I my point is still pretty much the same. I realize a lot of his attacks have copious ending lag; but some others are very useful in a FFA. Not to mention how effective nades are when thrown into a group of people, since one person is bound to hit.
The problem is still the same. Yes, he is useful in FFA, but there are better characters (namely Lucas, but I would go with Pikachu and perhaps Kirby as well). Grenades aren't amazing since they don't blow up right away.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Yes, but when put in a group of fighting players, it's likely someone will accidentally attack it. Or, you can just hang around on the edge of the stage and cook it, and if you start to get pressured, shield drop it, Uthrow it, and DACUS straight through them.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yes, but when put in a group of fighting players, it's likely someone will accidentally attack it. Or, you can just hang around on the edge of the stage and cook it, and if you start to get pressured, shield drop it, Uthrow it, and DACUS straight through them.
That's really situation, and probably wont work or be that useful. 4vs doesn't work in the sense that there are 3 people fighting game you are outside of it. It has a lot to do where everyone is and that changes often. Grenades are OK, but I'd take a more standard projectile and it gets the job done.

Also, lol DACUS. All that will happen is you will do a running attack and do an up spash where no one is standing. Just remember that most of the tricks that work in a 1v1 become liabilities in 4vs. DACUS isn't that bad, but it serves no real purpose.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
DACUS is very useful when people start to get irritated with your nades and want to gang-**** you. Even if the Usmash itself ends in an area where no one is, I don't think people really want to contend with the mortar shell itself, buying you a little more time.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
DACUS is very useful when people start to get irritated with your nades and want to gang-**** you. Even if the Usmash itself ends in an area where no one is, I don't think people really want to contend with the mortar shell itself, buying you a little more time.
Your thinking more in making up a scenario rather what will actually happen.

4vs does not work how most people here think it does. There is not some big clump that moves across the stage. It works in that the battle constantly shifts. There is no control in these matches. This is why Snake's controlling the map doesn't matter because the battle moves so much that you really can't get an edge on it. You win a free for all by adapting to the flow of the match and being good with that.

I say DACUS isn't that great because it serves a different purpose. For Snake, it allows him to approach a foe but also to gain some space and stay somewhat safe (with the mortar that can hit foes). In 4vs, there are plenty of ways to approach and if items are on there are even more. It also losses some safety because you are not dealing with one target but 3. Someone might be able to attack you during the slide. People do some crazy things. You goal is to deal with it. Again, this is also why I pick Lucas over Snake. Lucas can deal with it better and can take opportunities where Snake is better at controlling space and general trickiness.

Top Bottom