• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstation All-Stars Beta Response

MrEh

Smash Hero
I don't use Sweet Tooth's level 2 at all. I manage to do tech chased level 1's into multikills. Works out well in Metropolis.
I have no qualms about his level 1 and I certainly have no issues about his level 3. lol

His level 2 is just so ridiculously blagh right now.

zmx

Smash Lord
I literally lawled.

I'm totally okay with this. This gives me more time to show Tekken Tag 2 some love. Get my Hei ready for All-Stars. lol
Yeah I'm actually happy about this. It gives them more time to fix stuff and add more content.

Of course that could have been done through DLC but reviewers and casuals aren't going to wait for DLC.

Also, I've been thinking about getting TT2 as well.

Link360

Smash Cadet
For the love of Sony give Parappa a usable Level One Super, I swear that thing has the horizontal range of a tube of toilet paper compared to Sly's massive Olmypic Long Diving Obese Hippo. SPeaking of Sly, given that he's the fastest characters in the game, has the most evasion tactics, has some of the strongest AP building moves, and almost unarguably the strongest supers, leads me to really hope he gets tuned down a bit in the nest beta/the final release :p

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
For the love of Sony give Parappa a usable Level One Super, I swear that thing has the horizontal range of a tube of toilet paper compared to Sly's massive Olmypic Long Diving Obese Hippo. SPeaking of Sly, given that he's the fastest characters in the game, has the most evasion tactics, has some of the strongest AP building moves, and almost unarguably the strongest supers, leads me to really hope he gets tuned down a bit in the nest beta/the final release :p
I think Parappa's lv 1 is fine. Plus, it only makes sense that it doesn't kill people in front so easily since his lv 2 is stupid fast and so horizontal anyway.

Sly will probably get toned down a bit, but the nature of his moveset is just really friggin good, so he will be good regardless.

zmx

Smash Lord
I've seen Parappa's level 1 kill two people at once. It has deceptively big vertical range even if the horizontal is bad.

Link360

Smash Cadet
The ease of avoiding Parappa's Level 2 makes it even worse that it's hard to hit people with hit Level One which seems to have almost random hit detection, almost like it fans up and out when he does the kickflip thing, which is pretty useless in my opinion compare to an aimable missile and 2 large dive type Supers, so as players are cranking out multi kills with their Level Ones Parappa struggles to hit anyone with his Level 2 (Fat princesses and Slys are near impossible to hit with it unless right in front fo you especially in large stages with many platforms), and using a Level One is near pointless because it's hard to hit even one person with it, let alone two or three like other characters can manage.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
The ease of avoiding Parappa's Level 2 makes it even worse that it's hard to hit people with hit Level One which seems to have almost random hit detection, almost like it fans up and out when he does the kickflip thing, which is pretty useless in my opinion compare to an aimable missile and 2 large dive type Supers, so as players are cranking out multi kills with their Level Ones Parappa struggles to hit anyone with his Level 2 (Fat princesses and Slys are near impossible to hit with it unless right in front fo you especially in large stages with many platforms), and using a Level One is near pointless because it's hard to hit even one person with it, let alone two or three like other characters can manage.
I'd agree if you're just going to pull it out of nowhere. However, this game gives him ample options to setup the kill. Whether it be tech-chasing or combo into it. You won't get consistent multi-kills like everyone else, but Parappa builds meter fast enough to justify continuous level 1's.

That's kind of the justification of lower level supers. Better players will create opportunities to successfully pull them off while lesser players will need to build more meter for more consistent/easier kills.

Not to mention, a "bad" level 1 is justified by his above average level 2 and guaranteed 6 point level 3.

EDIT: By the way, Parappa's level 1 was totally designed to be an anti-air super. I like the idea of forcing an air dodge and punishing them with a kill, but I'm not sure how to set that up.

Link360

Smash Cadet
You can get a garaunteed single kill with it by doing a mic grab on them and simply getting them that way, but my hopes are just that in the end of things the characters are a bit more balanced Super wise. Maybe I'll play a few rounds using level ones only to see how if it works, Parappa can build a level one in quite literally 10-15 seconds with the right conditions.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
You can get a garaunteed single kill with it by doing a mic grab on them and simply getting them that way, but my hopes are just that in the end of things the characters are a bit more balanced Super wise. Maybe I'll play a few rounds using level ones only to see how if it works, Parappa can build a level one in quite literally 10-15 seconds with the right conditions.
You might also have to consider they are balancing for 1 vs 1 as well as FFA. If Parappa's level 1 had a bigger hitbox, it would probably be too good and be able to connect it in ridiculous situations.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Some new marching orders from Sony, READ THIS QUOTE:

Sony said:
The game code in the beta now several months old--many details have changed already, many bugs eliminated, etc. so the most valuable thing we can get from the playtest really is overall feedback on fun, game systems, online performance, matchmaking, etc. I realize it's easier to comment on smaller details where things are obviously broken, but that's just less valuable to us as we're already very aware and those things changed long ago. Things like the game's core systems, most of the controls, and even overall character notes (though the AP gain and properties of many moves have changed as well) etc--that's where we could really use great feedback from experienced players.
"The most valuable thing we can get from the playtest really is overall
feedback on fun, game systems, online performance, matchmaking, etc."

New keys delivered today to the follow people:
DRN (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
Vex Kasrani (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
God-is-my-rock (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
Eternal Phoenix Fire (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
Watertails (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
Werekill (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
PDOT (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
Gears (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
Yellowlink (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
Red Arremer (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
Lazybomber (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
STEM (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
Killer Instinct (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
Stingers (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
Subzero847 (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
Sqid (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)
Blacknight99923 (1 Key) - Key delivered (8/14/2012)

Lazybomber

Smash Rookie
Hello all! Finally gotten a beta code thanks to AlphaZealot but I have already gotten a lot of matches in so here is what I have to say so far:

- The supers only kill system is actually plenty of fun to work with. In the beginning it felt very awkward but what I think most people need is to give it a chance and to really get into it. The fact that the supers come out very smoothly is what doesn't make the system bad.

- Matchmaking so far is a little weird to say. There were plenty of times where I would keep getting the same match, example being: Two Sly's and Two Kratos, over and over again. If there was a way to get more different characters in the matches would be great. At the same time, the beta only has six characters.

- The online performance is so-so for me right now. Sometimes I would have matches that are playing out just perfect. Most of the time there is some jumping around here and there. The worst match I have had so far was everyone teleporting eveyrwhere. I was using PaRappa and attacked a Sweet Tooth with his level 1 kick flip. Sweet Tooth teleported to the other side of the stage and began attacking another player. Then he teleported next to me, kicked me then just exploded into the death animation as if he just reacted finally to me level 1.

- A problem I have is that the alt colors for characters has to be a lot more obvious. Lets take Kratos for example. I know he is shirtless and what not but I don't think just changing his skirt and tattoo color from red to blue is enough. Now the Player 3 color alt is a good example of alt color, his skin goes black with a more red glow from his tattoo. Another good example of alt color is Player 4 Sly who is a orange/red color instead of blue.

- I'm having a lot of fun with the combos in the game so far, also figuring out combos has brought a lot of fun and satisfaction. I can tell they changed some of the properties of the attacks since I can't perform some of the combos that are in the combo video Sony released but I have figured out some on my own. Like with PaRappa you can combo like this: Side circle - neutral circle - down triangle - down square - *whatever finishing attack you want to do, either it be an attack that knocks them away or even his level 1*

- It's easy to get a little competitive with the game. Like when you are busy beating on someone and here comes Sly with his friggin level 1 hippo. You just get this urge to kill them back and I love it!

- I love that some characters have there own kind of game play style. Take Sly for an example, a character that can't guard but he can go invisible and has plenty of gadgets and steals AP from other characters with his staff. While Radec is kind of annoying to deal with, the fact that he is strong at long range and pretty weak and short is his special game style.

So far I have to say the game is living up to my expectations, which is good because I was worried about how a super only system would work. I think everyone who looks at the videos has to really just give the game a try. There are some that still won't like it but I have seen that it has brought a lot of fun to some people who were very skeptic.

On a side note, here are some glitches I have run into:

-Music stopping at character select.
- Freezing
- Sometimes the timer stops which allows for everyone to beat on each other but specials won't come out. Even level 3s, you see the burst of light come from the character but thats it.
- Sometimes there would be a still clone just standing there. Had 6 PaRappa's on screen at once cause of this glitch.
- Sad face or winning face is incorrect most of the time. I saw a PaRappa with a victory face even though he came in 4th.
- Not being able to quit a match
-Sly level 3 makes it so he has control of the camera once it's done.
- Radec's level 3 may sometimes make a character stay dead forever, I call it the banish gun.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The beta is incredibly glitchy. I know it's a beta, but it's still a little troublesome considering how close we're getting to release. I'm sure most of it will be fixed though. I get a lot of teleportation/lag problems while playing, and the game has frozen (still accessible to the menu) multiple times upon match completion. I've even had the game freeze my system one time mid match that froze my entire system, unable to access the menu.

I came across this glitch today when I happened to already be recording, and wanted to share it lol.

I'll of course be doing more formal write ups about the game later.

[yt]rTXPbRFdpgA[/yt]

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
I'm getting disconnects more frequently. My match finding speed has decreased a bit.

How does everybody feel about blocking? I think it's fine, but quite a few think it's too good currently.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
@chibo, I've seen that bug a few times, its pretty dumb lol.

I think if characters had more control over their movement the game would be a bit better.

Movement feels even more linear here than brawl and on top of that the stages are much bigger than they are in smash. Whenever I perform a move I feel like it was incredibly linear and one dimensional. Like it was OBVIOUS I was going to do it in that situation, although this may be my inexperience with the game. You don't need to give a character multiple options in the same situation necessarily, but I think it adds depth if you allow a character to use an option in several different ways. This is where the mobility comes in.

I'm going to compare melee fox's to parappa. Fox doesn't have a lot of disjoint, but because of his incredible speed his nair effectively gives him a lot of range. Parappa however doesn't really seem to get this. He doesn't have the mobility to bait and punish characters to get in. Its true he can camp and try to build meter with down O but I certainly can't see it as ever being particularly reliable (since they seem to just randomly float over the place). Parappa is just going to get walled out over and over by characters that out range him?

It also makes me worried about characters like radec. From my personal experience and seeing others it seems like the majority of the time radec hits his opponent it was with a reactable move with an obvious placing hitbox for the situation. His moves to me seem incredibly telegraphed and that they only hit because its an FFA.

These are however, just my opinions. I do not know how the rest of you guys feel about the things I mentioned.

I invited a couple of friends over to play this game and none of us really like it. I personally haven't been able to enjoy this game for a while, and I feel like it's because for a crossover game, the game doesn't have enough personality.

=====

I think that either the camera is too zoomed out, or the character models are too small. This is bad because not only is it hard to follow what is going on in the match, but it also doesn't flesh out the personalities of our favorite Sony all-stars as much as I would like them to be.

The game has a bad feel to it too. The controls feel too loose, and the game is ridiculously slow paced. Although I think a lot of it has to do with the PS3 controller itself feeling incredibly loose, I do think that the gravity in the game has something to do with it too. Also I think the game could benefit from a speed boost.

Last but not least, I think the graphics are really underdeveloped for a PS3 game, from character models to environments to menus. I'm not trying to be harsh with this one, but it looks like something that came out of the Wii.

zmx

Smash Lord
The beta is incredibly glitchy. I know it's a beta, but it's still a little troublesome considering how close we're getting to release. I'm sure most of it will be fixed though. I get a lot of teleportation/lag problems while playing, and the game has frozen (still accessible to the menu) multiple times upon match completion. I've even had the game freeze my system one time mid match that froze my entire system, unable to access the menu.

I came across this glitch today when I happened to already be recording, and wanted to share it lol.

I'll of course be doing more formal write ups about the game later.

[yt]rTXPbRFdpgA[/yt]
They've delayed the game to November 20th.

zmx

Smash Lord
I'm getting disconnects more frequently. My match finding speed has decreased a bit.

How does everybody feel about blocking? I think it's fine, but quite a few think it's too good currently.
Superbot has stated they've fixed guarding in more recent builds. Now you gain a bit of AP even if they were guarding.

Edit:
I disagree.

The PS3 controller is not loose. That's subjective opinion.

I use it for AE and the controls are quite crisp and responsive. What is more, it's been confirmed that you can use an arcade stick with the game if that's your thing.

Only the movement speed in this is slower than Brawl. Overall characters are less floaty (thought without fast-falls admittedly) and have a lot of faster attacks while in the air (plus you can change directions while in the air rapidly without needing to "b-reverse"). But I do agree it could do with a speed boost as most people find even Brawl to be too slow.

I find the controls to be quite tight. I think you just need to play it more.

I agree about the graphics though. While the stages look okay (no doubt at least a bit better than in Brawl), the Character models are lacking. They certainly didn't go all out in any place in this aspect. They look quite bland next to Brawl's fantastic character models.

And like you said, none of this should be the case considering how technically superior the PS3 is to the Wii.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
New keys distributed to the following people:

Teczero
Mic_128
Krystedez
aisight
dtj glyphmoney
Gatlin
Sky Pirate
DalegendarySamus

Also, please remember:

-Sony​

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I can't really get into the action since there are times I lose track of my character. It says something when the most distinctive trait about anyone's character is the player number indicator above it. Why isn't there something showing score for each player?

The game system itself feels like something pulled right out of Turtles Smash Up! for the Wii. There's a distinctive moveset, but it's not really quite so freeform, which is an odd decision considering the movement system of the game.

Online performance was smooth enough for me, and matchmaking occurred within 60 seconds all the times I tried.

I dunno, overall it feels less like any kind of fighter game and more like an alternative to some sort of multiplayer deathmatch game.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I don't think the controls are an issue, the controls seem fairly easy to grasp.

considering the game code we're playing on is several months old I wouldn't place to much emphasis on the character graphics detail just yet (if thats what you're worried about).

However the size of the stages and the camera is a bit ridiculous, when the camera zooms out a lot of times I have problems figuring out where I am. And the camera can really detract from the gameplay

zmx

Smash Lord
I can't really get into the action since there are times I lose track of my character. It says something when the most distinctive trait about anyone's character is the player number indicator above it. Why isn't there something showing score for each player?

The game system itself feels like something pulled right out of Turtles Smash Up! for the Wii. There's a distinctive moveset, but it's not really quite so freeform, which is an odd decision considering the movement system of the game.

Online performance was smooth enough for me, and matchmaking occurred within 60 seconds all the times I tried.

I dunno, overall it feels less like any kind of fighter game and more like an alternative to some sort of multiplayer deathmatch game.
What do you mean by not being "freeform"?

PSASBR has more combo potential than any Smash game to date. As in true combos, not just read-based and tech chases (though it has those too). Check out the combo video on youtube and also check out the new Dante trailer.

Hmmm the camera complaint seems to be universal. Hopefully Superbot does something about it.

Oh and for those wondering why you can't see your score, SuperBot said it's to not discourage players ("he's 20 points ahead? I'll never catch up"). Also it's always been the same for Smash with certain settings.

Lastly, we all know stock mode (both stock and reverse-stock mode have been confirmed) is going to be superior so it's really a mute point to complain about timed free for alls.

zmx

Smash Lord

PSASBR has more combo potential than any Smash game to date. Check out the combo video on youtube and also check out the new Dante trailer. Here's what the community manager of Superbot recently said about Dante:

"Dante is one of the more technical characters in the game and uses a special cancel system to perform combos. Players can alter their attack string mid-combo depending on the situation; for example, you can cancel into a parry to stop an incoming attack, dash out of the way of harm, or transition into a powerful ender for maximum AP gain."

Hmmm the camera complaint seems to be universal. Hopefully Superbot does something about it.

Oh and for those wondering why you can't see your score, SuperBot said it's to not discourage players ("he's 20 points ahead? I'll never catch up"). Also it's always been the same for Smash with certain settings.

Lastly, we all know stock mode is going to be superior so it's really a mute point to complain about timed free for alls.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER

PSASBR has more combo potential than any Smash game to date. As in true combos, not just read-based and tech chases (though it has those too). Check out the combo video on youtube and also check out the new Dante trailer.
By "not freeform" I mean that your options of attack feel very rigid compared to Smash - and perhaps more fitting for a conventionally-built 2D fighter.

If you said PSASBR has more combo potential than Melee and Brawl, I might give you the benefit of the doubt, but seeing as how I don't think there's the capability of going from 0 meter to 100 and killing someone all in one combo, you seem to be leaving out the crucial first entry of the series.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Dissapointed that all characters short hops are set to a certain height and you can't go any lower.

I agree with aisight on the freeform point. Combos seem a bit limited

zmx

Smash Lord
By "not freeform" I mean that your options of attack feel very rigid compared to Smash - and perhaps more fitting for a conventionally-built 2D fighter.

If you said PSASBR has more combo potential than Melee and Brawl, I might give you the benefit of the doubt, but seeing as how I don't think there's the capability of going from 0 meter to 100 and killing someone all in one combo, you seem to be leaving out the crucial first entry of the series.
Unless I'm mistaken you are talking of read-based tech chases/combos. Those are not true combos per se.For those to work you would have had to read their DI correctly every time and what not.

That's not what I'm talking about. And you do realize that most "conventional" 2D fighters have more combo/option potential than Smash as well right? Most characters in Smash only have a few mixups if any at all. Brawl is mainly a poke fest. And this is coming from someone that loves Brawl.

But yes I was mainly referring to Melee and Brawl.

zmx

Smash Lord
Dissapointed that all characters short hops are set to a certain height and you can't go any lower.

Most attacks can be chained together with true hitstun depending on the spacing, regardless of AP.

I'd say that's enough proof it has more combo potential than Smash, but less than traditional fighters.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

I think it depends on the character. because with Dante.....

yeah.

zmx

Smash Lord
I think it depends on the character. because with Dante.....

yeah.
Hmm so maybe full hops vary but short hops don't?

Of course we won't know for sure until the game comes out. 6 characters is hardly enough to judge.

However I do know that if you hold up with Sly cooper and then press jump, he will do one big long jump that's much higher than normal.

zmx

Smash Lord
At any rate that Gif should convince people about the combo potential this game has.

Also from Superbot on Dante:

"Dante is one of the more technical characters in the game and uses a special cancel system to perform combos. Players can alter their attack string mid-combo depending on the situation; for example, you can cancel into a parry to stop an incoming attack, dash out of the way of harm, or transition into a powerful ender for maximum AP gain."

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
yep. here's another good combo with Spike I found a gif of:

....and this is why I wanna play him so bad right now.

Top Bottom