• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

Zink

Smash Champion
The question is... will it be worth it to buy low-tier and upgrade, or will it be cheaper to buy it all at once?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
In my mind the whole point for buying a console was to pay less than you would for a computer built for gaming. Sony in my mind has crossed this little "imaginary line".
Now yes, I understand that they system and all of it's components are well worth the money, a bargin if you will when you compare the price to the parts list, BUT if you looks at the whole picture the large scale it kind of worries me.

We all know Sony's Playstation grew so quickly because of how cheap it was and the power it could produce compare to Nintendo’s SNES and N64. Now by cheap I don't mean poorly constructed but on both a. the consumer, and b. the developers. A large part of the reason Nintendo’s lost most of its third party support came about simply because of Sonys choice to use CDs which were much, much cheaper than cartages. The system, from what I understand was horribly easy to produce games for. These in turn inspired many new developers to jump on the system and stick to it. All the way through the PS2.

Now flash forward to the PS3. Blu-ray disks cost 20 dollars retail for 25 gigs (the smallest I've seen) not too bad for me and you right? Mmm... kinda... as of April 3rd a player cost 1000 bucks <.< that's JUST a player, not a writer.
So this puts developers back to the old days of cartages, you can spend (let's be generous) 10$ per Blu-ray disk or 10$ for 50+ DVDs. Production houses are forced to buy new equipment to meet this new demand and that won’t come cheap (they don’t buy just one burner). This means a chain of price rasing that will in the end probably affect us on the shelves when we buy games. Instead of going lower like say… Nintendo promises games for the PS3 will probably cost 60+ dollars

The come production costs... production time... staffing -___- UG...
this is the only other problem, to make a game the truly is worth making on the PS3 you need enormous teams and huge amounts of time and money, This right here is what will keep smaller developers far far away from the PS3, the inability to create games for it.
The time and man power alone spent on one game for the PS3 could easily be spent creating several games for the Wii, or even the 360. This is what I think will keep the larger developers like EA away.

I’ve never been a big Sony fan, that’s no secret. Their lack of innovation and seeming hate for their costumers have always turned me away from their products. This is kind of just more trash on the heap. I’ve gotta head to class so I’m going to cut me PS3 rant short.

Yay for the beginnings of intelligent console discussion!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
<3 said:
In my mind the whole point for buying a console was to pay less than you would for a computer built for gaming. Sony in my mind has crossed this little "imaginary line".
"You can upgrade to whatever size of drive you like. You can put in any drive that you like - it is a computer, after all."
Yeah, just a bit. They seem to have changed their aim of selling it as an entertainment system too.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Mic_128 said:
Yeah, just a bit. They seem to have changed their aim of selling it as an entertainment system too.
It seems like Sony will simply just keep "pooping" bricks, enough to make a fortified castle. They seem to be focusing on such great looks whilst forgetting that what got them where they stand is great gameplay. I'm getting a 360, regardless.

<3 said:
Sony in my mind has crossed this little "imaginary line".
Same here. The price seems too high.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
When Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO David Reeves admits that "key launch titles" will slip into 2007 he also admits that to Sony, it doesn't really matter what ships at launch.

"We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games," Reeves told Computer and Video Games in an interview. During the same interview, Reeves admits that Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm and Formula One will all see release in early 2007 within the PS3 "launch window." Insomniac's gritty World War II shooter (with aliens) Resistance: Fall of Man will be there at launch according to Reeves.

It's not games like Heavenly Sword slipping into the "launch window" instead of the "launch day" category that is concerning -- it's Sony admitting that even if there were no games to purchase, consumers would still be lining up en masse to grab the PS3.

We get it, Sony, you were the market leader for two solid generations of console making, but you might be placing a little too much faith in the perceived strength of your brand to ask people to fork over $600 for your console regardless of the available software.
That mixed with Sony's president claiming that $600 ($650 in Canada) is CHEAP and that they're doing consumers a favour really makes Sony out to be extremely arrogant. "We can put out whatever and people will buy it anyways because we're Sony."

There's no way I'm considering buying a PS3 anymore. The only real game I would want to actually get would be Metal Gear Solid 4--but it's not worth $700~+tax in my opinion. Not even close.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
if your a true fanboy of sony systems...you WILL get the system...

but all others who might want to TRY out a system.....the price will keep them away......and that WILL hurt sony...

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Concurrage. Methinks that only the truest of fanboys and really rich people will get a PS3. The 60 GB version is selling for a solid 1000 Australian dollars. That's 750 US dollars. That's right, Australians get owned by a further 150 US (or 210 Australian).

Judging by the article (it was an article, right? As in, from IGN or something?), Sony seems to think that all their fans are either idiots or their pets. It really seems like they don't care at all. Now, people have said that before and it has often been countered by things like "do you think Nintendo cares about you?". For those who are going to say that again to me, I'm saying yes. Yes, Nintendo does care about us. At least a little bit. I mean, they'd have to care to open up a suggestion box at their new Smash Bros. website, wouldn't they?

Here's hoping that Sony's arrogance and cockiness ends up being their own undoing in the gaming industry. It probably won't, but again, here's hoping.

kaid

Smash Master
forblaze71 said:
Here's hoping that Sony's arrogance and cockiness ends up being their own undoing in the gaming industry. It probably won't, but again, here's hoping.
Now, to be fair, Nintendo's own arrogance at the end of the SNES years was almost as high. The PSX was originally an expantion for the SNES, but Nintendo decided they were giving Sony too big a share of the licencing fees, gave them the finger, and went to another company to make the *shudder* CDi. They micromanaged Square when they were working on SMRPG so badly that Square continues to hate them to this day. And the Nintendo President from that era has made statements comparable to what Sony's doing now.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Putting a Blu Ray player in was a big mistake IMO. Because if you ask me, both HD DVD AND Blue Ray are going to sink. The general movie audience (wayyy bigger than the VG console audience) is NOT prepared to buy a new movie player system only a few years after DVD players, especially when high resolution HD tvs aren't yet as big as they will be. Also, the public is not going to buy a movie system when there is another competeing system with half the movies. It's not the same with video games. And that's why both are going to tank and a HD disk player that people will actually buy won't arrive for several years AND when are no competing systems. People remember VHS vs Beta or Laserdisk vs DVD (to some degree) and nobody wants to be on the losing end.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
kaid said:
They micromanaged Square when they were working on SMRPG so badly that Square continues to hate them to this day.
Yeah. Because a company that hates Nintendo to this day would definitely make Final Fantasy: Chrystal Chronicles exclusive for the cube and its sequel for the Wii, not to mention making Mario Hoops 3 on 3 for the DS.

Yeah. Lots of animosity there.

Square stopped working with Nintendo for a while. They seem to have patched up their differences, which I think definitely has something to do with Hiroshi Yamauchi (the old president) stepping down and Iwata taken over. Yamauchi had some ridiculous things to say.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
McFox said:
Yeah. Because a company that hates Nintendo to this day would definitely make Final Fantasy: Chrystal Chronicles exclusive for the cube and its sequel for the Wii, not to mention making Mario Hoops 3 on 3 for the DS.
I know you were being sarcastic but I couldn't help laughing because most people in my school consider Christal Chronicles to be a terrible game, even when they have liked every past FF game.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
commonyoshi said:
I know you were being sarcastic but I couldn't help laughing because most people in my school consider Christal Chronicles to be a terrible game, even when they have liked every past FF game.
I never even played Chrystal Chronicles. That's not my point. My point is that, if Square hated Nintendo, they wouldn't be making these exclusive games for them.

Zink

Smash Champion
1st- FF:CC was a very good game, the graphics were simply amazing. I would compare them to the graphics in the SSBB trailer, at least.
Second, anyone notice Mic's avatar...?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
McFox said:
I never even played Chrystal Chronicles. That's not my point. My point is that, if Square hated Nintendo, they wouldn't be making these exclusive games for them.
I laughed because the best way to show hate towards a gaming system would be to make a crappy game for it. But yeah, I know a lot of peole liked it even though no one I know did.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
commonyoshi said:
I laughed because the best way to show hate towards a gaming system would be to make a crappy game for it. But yeah, I know a lot of peole liked it even though no one I know did.
Do you honestly think a company would invest money into making a crappy game just to spite another company? Companies are all about money and they're not going to waste money just to go "lol nitendo got u." The people in charge of the companies are much more mature than you (but then again, who isn't?).

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Exactly! Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft would never use personal bias to waste money. That's foolish.

Square just realized they can make more money if they are on more consoles. Don't be surprised to see FF on the 360 soon.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Actually that would be suprising. Consider that at E3 SE announced a game for eveything but the 360.

CC was a good idea but it wasn't realized very well. The GBA link up killed any joy I had for that game. If the make the Wii version capable of 4 players from home ,without a DS, that would be good.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Crimson King said:
Square just realized they can make more money if they are on more consoles. Don't be surprised to see FF on the 360 soon.
I belive they're making FFXI for the 360.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
FFXI is came out over a month ago for the 360. Square is said to have some 360 projects in the works, the only known one being Project Sylph, a space shooter. (Like Starfox 64, not a FPS)

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
McFox said:

Square stopped working with Nintendo for a while. They seem to have patched up their differences, which I think definitely has something to do with Hiroshi Yamauchi (the old president) stepping down and Iwata taken over. Yamauchi had some ridiculous things to say.
actually i think Yamauchi is the reason Square make any games for nintendo at all :p

just before yamauchi stepped down he opened some sort of charity/fund thing, which would support a developer if they wanted to make a game in less than 12 months and used the GC-GBA connectivity. the only company that took him up on the offer was Square. Due to sony owning part of the company and some complicated contracts and whatnot, i dont think sqaure was able to make games for other consoles. Yamauchi's fund allowed them to make a ''new'' company to work on the game and bypass all of sony's contracts and it just involved lots of staff switching.

I'm not totally sure how square is getting to work on the 360 atm but i think it's something to do with the company becoming Sqaure-Enix and making some of the old contracts void.

anyways, yamauchi was crazy, but he did some pretty good things too :)

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Anyone notice how many Underworld Evolution comercials have been out lately? This cant be because the movie was popular, there are just too many. This movie is the first one announced for a Blue Ray edition. This must be Sony pushing their product. Hey, I am watching another Underworld commercial again.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I never said that nor implied that. It was just interesting to see that Sony is advertising and getting the product out there before Microsoft.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
commonyoshi said:
I never said that nor implied that. It was just interesting to see that Sony is advertising and getting the product out there before Microsoft.
What product? Microsoft is just backing HD-DVD with an add-on to the 360, Microsoft isn't a movie distributing company, so they aren't going to be advertising HD-DVD movies. HD-DVD players are out already and last I heard, they were selling well.

Anyways. This is a PS3 topic. Not a topic about blu-ray movies and such.

entity

Smash Apprentice
I think Sony is probably screwed this year. Since they screwed up the controller for the PS3. The controller looks like a bent, double sided dildo. LOL.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
That shows how much people actually pay attention. If your going to make fun of a console at least keep up to date on it. Everyone knows MASSIVE DAMAGE is the thing to say now.

Zink

Smash Champion
I wish there was some more info on what they'll do with the 6-degree thing.

Aaaaah, all the mods have combined into one!

Top Bottom