• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please critique my sheik

giantimi

Smash Cadet
I recorded some matches the other day with a friend(Nainsoo) and I would like some advice from you guys. I played his peach, marth and falcon (those matches will be posted later) .

He (Nainsoo) mains peach BTW.

Your critique would be appreciated. I know I still have a LOT of room for improvement.

Peach matches

1st match
2nd match

Marth matches

1st match
2nd match

Falcon matches

1st match

gm jack

Smash Lord
Spacing needs a lot of work, along with consistency of L cancels.

A few times you seemed to be waiting or doing tricks rather than hitting them, even if they were in lag. By all means don't do the obvious thing all the time, but take the hits when they are. In one match Marth missed a counter falling onto the top platform and all you did was full hop beneath him. Could have double jumped for a Uair or Fair or wavelanded and grabbed or tilted.

You aren't good at safely getting out of shield under pressure. You need to keep calm and look for an opening to roll, WD or get offensive. Also a lot of nooby rolls towards you opponent for no real reason that got punished.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Only watched vs Peach

K, one of your biggest issues is not doing stuff (dash, attack, whatever) fast enough after your throw. You should never be Naired at low percent for F-tilting after D-throw. You should always be able to get your Fair after throwing her at mid/high percents. It's just how it is.

U-smash sucks after D-throw unless they don't DI the throw away at like 64 or so and you wanna try and trade/beat their Nair with it and get a free super early KO if it works. Otherwise, for combos, Uair is better.

When Peach is float Fairing close-ish, you can just rambo her with Nair or Fair before her move comes out and then **** her. It's really good. Especially if they're moving forward. If they're moving back it's usually better to back off because of how slow Sheik is in the air, or you can try to hit through it anyway (which is ballsy and not recommended).

Biggest thing is, you overall need more control and precision with your moves. Remember stuff like:

1) Dash attack only launches with the beginning of the animation

2) Bair is strongest at the tip, so you gotta aim your foot to hit the tip if you're finishing a combo with it... if you're not able to do that, do something else like Nair

Just remembering simple stuff like how her moves work (her whole moveset) and adjusting your timings and positioning accordingly will go a long way to helping you. Most of your issues right now are stuff like not tipping your Bairs, which is just execution.

I also think you're too passive against her when you have an opening, since you're usually using a very conservative spacing strategy. But you need to be more flexible... especially against Peach because Peach as a character leaves herself open a lot... namely because she spends a second pulling turnips / winding her arm up to Fair. Sheik's stuff can trump her Nair and Bair with good spacing, so you can actually get a little more pushy than you're being.

You shield a lot when she runs towards you. Consider running back or moving back. Or even attacking.

You're Dairing too much. Dair is only good in combos, edgeguards, tech chases, and related punishment stuff. Dair can sometimes be used to punish approaches (jump over someone's dash attack, Dair them, do stuff) but that is extremely situational and risky because jumping up with a low priority move on a character with no aerial mobility is dangerous.

giantimi

Smash Cadet
Thanks a lot for getting back to me gm jack and KirbyKaze. I am definitely surprised by the amount of feedback that I have received so far.

The reason I was so standoffish in the matches is because Nainsoo is pretty good at punishing almost any of my approaches, especially if my spacing is off. So I try and punish his instead (I don't do this very well though). I also am not very familiar with the peach matchup, except for avoiding d-smash at all costs and if possible punishing it. I just don't know how to approach her and get grabs and combos started without the fear of getting punished by her high priority moveset ( in general). I felt like most of the grabs I got during the match were simply because he made an unforced mistake.

Also, I don't know how to reliably accumulate damage early in a stock against Peach.

I am going to post one vs Falcon video and probably take down links of some of the other matches since it is clear that no one is interested.

Again thank you for critiques.

Only watched vs Peach

K, one of your biggest issues is not doing stuff (dash, attack, whatever) fast enough after your throw. You should never be Naired at low percent for F-tilting after D-throw. You should always be able to get your Fair after throwing her at mid/high percents. It's just how it is.

U-smash sucks after D-throw unless they don't DI the throw away at like 64 or so and you wanna try and trade/beat their Nair with it and get a free super early KO if it works. Otherwise, for combos, Uair is better.

When Peach is float Fairing close-ish, you can just rambo her with Nair or Fair before her move comes out and then **** her. It's really good. Especially if they're moving forward. If they're moving back it's usually better to back off because of how slow Sheik is in the air, or you can try to hit through it anyway (which is ballsy and not recommended).

Biggest thing is, you overall need more control and precision with your moves. Remember stuff like:

1) Dash attack only launches with the beginning of the animation

2) Bair is strongest at the tip, so you gotta aim your foot to hit the tip if you're finishing a combo with it... if you're not able to do that, do something else like Nair

Just remembering simple stuff like how her moves work (her whole moveset) and adjusting your timings and positioning accordingly will go a long way to helping you. Most of your issues right now are stuff like not tipping your Bairs, which is just execution.

I also think you're too passive against her when you have an opening, since you're usually using a very conservative spacing strategy. But you need to be more flexible... especially against Peach because Peach as a character leaves herself open a lot... namely because she spends a second pulling turnips / winding her arm up to Fair. Sheik's stuff can trump her Nair and Bair with good spacing, so you can actually get a little more pushy than you're being.

You shield a lot when she runs towards you. Consider running back or moving back. Or even attacking.

You're Dairing too much. Dair is only good in combos, edgeguards, tech chases, and related punishment stuff. Dair can sometimes be used to punish approaches (jump over someone's dash attack, Dair them, do stuff) but that is extremely situational and risky because jumping up with a low priority move on a character with no aerial mobility is dangerous.
Spacing needs a lot of work, along with consistency of L cancels.

A few times you seemed to be waiting or doing tricks rather than hitting them, even if they were in lag. By all means don't do the obvious thing all the time, but take the hits when they are. In one match Marth missed a counter falling onto the top platform and all you did was full hop beneath him. Could have double jumped for a Uair or Fair or wavelanded and grabbed or tilted.

You aren't good at safely getting out of shield under pressure. You need to keep calm and look for an opening to roll, WD or get offensive. Also a lot of nooby rolls towards you opponent for no real reason that got punished.

giantimi

Smash Cadet
I've also posted a match against Nainsoo's Falcon if anyone is interested.

(Probably not at this point).

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
The reason I was so standoffish in the matches is because Nainsoo is pretty good at punishing almost any of my approaches, especially if my spacing is off. So I try and punish his instead (I don't do this very well though). I also am not very familiar with the peach matchup, except for avoiding d-smash at all costs and if possible punishing it. I just don't know how to approach her and get grabs and combos started without the fear of getting punished by her high priority moveset ( in general). I felt like most of the grabs I got during the match were simply because he made an unforced mistake.
A big part of Sheik vs Peach is trolling her with needles to make her jump or want to approach and then you punish either accordingly. A lot of spacing goes into this MU and you really have to pick your moves carefully based on how you're positioned in relation to Peach.

The rest of it is Bair, to a lesser degree Fair, to an even lesser degree other moves, and how you get grabs and do throw follows.

Grabs will usually be accumulated as a result of putting her on the defensive and making her sweat in some way. The obvious one is blocking... you'll pressure her into block and then either grab her right there, or bait a roll/sidestep (Peaches love their sidesteps) and then grab her in its lag.

The other ways grabs happen when you pressure her is that you'll make her feel all tense and desperate and she'll try to dash attack or D-smash (or other stuff, but those are most common) to try and regain control by force and then you'll space around those (or block the dash attack) and grab her in the lag.

If she tries to be too sneaky with her shield pressure then grabbing is works. But I wouldn't recommend trying to shield grab Peach unless it's really obvious you can. Her pressure is really good.

Also, I don't know how to reliably accumulate damage early in a stock against Peach.
This will help you learn how to rack damage on Peach.

Otherwise, it's similar to comboing Marth only with more narrow percents. If she DIs away from your throw you can regrab to 20. After that you have to do stuff. If she DIs anywhere else below about 10, you can link U-tilt and then follow with Uair or Fair depending on how you want to follow her. After about 11 or so, you have to switch to Uair.

At about 60 or so, if she's not DIing the throw, you can stop Uairing if you want and focus on hitting her offstage (I forget why but I think she starts going too far for her to be really effectively chased... though Sheik's range still lets her cover a bunch of options). If you can force her onto the ledge, you can troll her with needles and spaced aerials / grabs to make it difficult for her to get back on the stage.

At about 64 or so (to some percent, I forget what), if she's not DIing the throw away and there's no platform interference, you can try to combo a tipped U-smash and get the KO. Doesn't always work, though.

Something that might help you:

To learn how to max range your moves more effectively there are some very easy things you can do.

Go to versus mode, set time to infinite (or whatever). Open two players. You will be one of them. The other will not be playing (you just need a 2nd controller). From there, set your handicap to 1 and leave the empty at 9. Make the empty be someone big. I personally recommend Bowser or DK.

From there, just practice hitting and grabbing from as far away as you can, and get used to moving into and out of those ranges. It's very good and helps you look for visual cues for when you're in range or not. Use a variety of aerials at different heights... her Fair's ability to hit horizontally changes a bit depending on if you do it high enough to autocancel, or low enough to need an L-cancel.

These sorts of drills help my tech skill a lot lolol. Pick a level like Battlefield or FoD so you can see how to waveland into these moves. Dreamland can be annoying 'cuz of wind.

If you lack a 2nd controller, use a level 1 Bowser.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Peach lacks range OoS, so spacing fairs and tilts on her shield works well. as does grabbing her, as your grab has much better range. The big thing is that move for move, Peach probably has more priority than you, or at least it may seem that way. She has a lot of range and power with bursts of speed that make her seem broken. However, at the heart of it, she isn't that quick. Her best ranged moves aren't that quick.

Just respect her range and priority, but remember yours is better. And you are faster, which is a huge advantage. Good spacing makes everything better.

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
I think the biggest thing you could do right now to clean up your game a bit, would be to keep your opponent guessing at what you could next when you are away from them. I noticed you like to stand and shield for long periods of time or just not really do much of anything when your opponent is approaching or you're waiting for them to make a move.

If you stand there (shielding or not doing anything) then you're giving the opponent the chance to narrow down what he or she can effectively do to you. When you're moving and trying to confuse your opponent, they now have to think harder and think of more possible situations that could happen if they do a certain thing. Just the simple act of dash dancing and throwing in some other weird movements will help greatly.

Also, I should say that doing something simple such as standing and not moving does have it's applications, but it's only for specific situations where you're confident that you're using it as an effective baiting tactic or some other type of mind game. It's just not often that it's really that useful.

Rykard

Smash Ace
dude you know chris? i guess these matches were taken from your hometown then. That is awesome! He's one of my good friends at cornell

Nintendude

Smash Hero
dude you know chris? i guess these matches were taken from your hometown then. That is awesome! He's one of my good friends at cornell
haha Richard, Timi is a Cornell grad. He was class of '09 I believe.

You live in Ithaca? I'm in Corning. We should smash sometime.
Ithaca has a lively Smash scene with lots of talented players. You should come to campus sometime.

Top Bottom