• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please explain why Melee is so awesome

Amide

Smash Lord
I understand that there is a large amount of people that like Melee better, I understand. One of the reasons is technical aspects, aka physics. Techniques and stuff like that. In my opinion, the smash games should be about strategy, not randomly pressing a combination of buttons in order for your character to perform an attack faster and/or stronger than it was meant to be. (That was a mouthful) I miss the speed of melee too, but it doesn't make up for the fact that all my friends used the same character.

I didn't post this on the brawl board because I knew people would agree with me, really. So without flaming, why is Melee a lot better?

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I understand that there is a large amount of people that like Melee better, I understand. One of the reasons is technical aspects, aka physics. Techniques and stuff like that. In my opinion, the smash games should be about strategy, not randomly pressing a combination of buttons in order for your character to perform an attack faster and/or stronger than it was meant to be. (That was a mouthful) I miss the speed of melee too, but it doesn't make up for the fact that all my friends used the same character.

I didn't post this on the brawl board because I knew people would agree with me, really. So without flaming, why is Melee a lot better?
its just ignorant to say that melee is just "randomly pressing a combination of buttons" and denying that it doesnt have strategy. go back to brawl, nub.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)

If you like strategy, Melee is equal or better than Brawl.
If you like pressing lots of buttons, Melee is better than Brawl.
If you like speed, Melee is better than Brawl.
If you like sex, Melee is better than Brawl.

Any questions?

Cookiez

Smash Ace
It wasn't a bad thread till:

"not randomly pressing a combination of buttons in order for your character to perform an attack faster and/or stronger than it was meant to be"

Which just utterly killed it. One of the main reasons I prefer Melee is due to "Oh Snap" moments happening almost every match, moments where everyone would get to their feet cheering and would flood you with adrenaline. You just don't find that in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

Post Deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Except GG isn't a smash game and for many people not an option in this debate. We're here to show why Melee is better than Brawl, not why it is a highly competitive game.

EDIT: Also, of course this isn't the only thing I judge games on, that would be silly. I was merely quasi-trolling due to my annoyance over a silly topic like this, especially in a board that should be filled with "I <3 Melee" posts now that Brawl killed so much activity here.

Skler

Smash Master
He was pointing out the areas where Melee is different from Brawl. Melee is very different from GGAC, SFA3 and MvC2 because it has way more freedom of movement and is played completely differently. The goal isn't to take away a life bar, position relative to edges is the all important factor, platforms, DI, etc. all separate smash from the traditional fighters.

It's stupid to compare Melee to other fighters, it's way too different. Brawl is really similar to Melee though, so you can compare the two. The thing is, the reasons people like Melee more than other fighers can't be the reason people like Brawl more. I guess they could like one of the new characters or the slower gameplay, but that's about it.

Melee is awesome because it's exciting, fun to play at high levels and lets me stand a chance using the character I want. Low tiers in Brawl get ***** so hard it isn't even funny.

Edit: Way to ninja post before me.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
but it doesn't make up for the fact that all my friends used the same character.
Snake wins everything. At least in Melee Fox, Falco, Marth, Peach, Jiggs, Sheik, Samus, Ganon, and a few more have been seen winning tournaments.

Maybe I was a bit harsh with Snake winning everything. OK so Metaknight won a few, Marth won early but got beat out, DDDs win in GA, and Reflex's Wario is about as good as Wario gets.

I lied about GA DDDs. SC came down and brought a Snake, so that happens instead. Mah bad.

1: Cort ($435.60) (Snake)
2: PC Chris ($237.60) (Snake)
3: Nuro ($118.80) (Snake)
4: Jinx (Metaknight)
5: Solid Jake (Snake)
5: Darc (Snake)

Amide

Smash Lord
It wasn't a bad thread till:

"not randomly pressing a combination of buttons in order for your character to perform an attack faster and/or stronger than it was meant to be"

Which just utterly killed it. One of the main reasons I prefer Melee is due to "Oh Snap" moments happening almost every match, moments where everyone would get to their feet cheering and would flood you with adrenaline. You just don't find that in Brawl.

Wow, thanks for not flaming me. What I meant was that I don't understand why things like wavedashing and L-cancelling make the game better. I'm not denying use of strategy, I'm saying that I didn't like it when how to be better in melee was dominated by wavedash FAQs and things like that.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Wow, thanks for not flaming me. What I meant was that I don't understand why things like wavedashing and L-cancelling make the game better. I'm not denying use of strategy, I'm saying that I didn't like it when how to be better in melee was dominated by wavedash FAQs and things like that.
If "randomly pressing buttons to make attacks stronger than they used to be" is what won Melee, then what seperates, say, me from PC Chris? PC would probably 4-stock me and come out of the match with less damage than when it started. However, we can both shffl. We can both wavedash. We both L-cancel all our aerials. We both use all these techniques in matches fluently, and we would both use them against each other in this theoretical match.

By your logic, PC and I should be even, since we both have about even technical skill.

So clearly, there's a flaw in your argument. Assuming your premise that "Melee is all about technical skill" is true leads to an absurd conclusion, therefore it must be false.

In case you haven't already figured it out, the factor that seperates PC from me is what you're calling strategy, not technical skill. The very same strategy you say is more prominent in Brawl than in Melee.

It's not! In fact, all having so-called advanced techniques in Melee did was increase the number of options you had at an arbitrary moment in a match.

Wavedashing, for instance, was something you could use to force a reaction (wavedancing with characters like Luigi), to counter an action (wavedash away from a dash attack and smashing to counter it with Samus or Y-Link) or to combo (waveshines with the space animals or wavedashing out of shield to techchase with Shiek).

I can't seem to form a coherent essay on this right now, so I'm going to leave it at this. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I won't flame you, and I'll explain whatever you want.

EDIT: Watch some matches of Aniki. While he is a bit of an extreme example, he demonstrates that strategy is not only present, but is the primary factor of a player's skill in Melee.

Zodiac

Smash Master

the smash games should be about strategy, not randomly pressing a combination of buttons in order for your character to perform an attack faster and/or stronger than it was meant to be.
That, isn't what any smash game is about. Melee's advanced techniques gave a level of strategy so deep that you cannot understand it unless you achieve it, and every time time you get there, you see theres another level to be had. Short Hop Fast Fall L-cancel, when strung together you get a shffl. when broken apart , as many have failed to mention to brawlers. You get a friggen endless array of options to use during a match to tip the scales in your favor, and even better, your opponent has all these options to, meaning not only are you going to have to use these techniques to beat your opponent your going to have to use them better (Mind games!).

And thats only a few of the techniques used to give melee a deeper experience. I can name a ton of these techniques and almost all of them have been removed from brawl, on top of that the game is slow, and you DO NOT have to think as fast as melee, its no where near as intense.

Melee is like a Mansion so grand you cant see the back of it and the top reaches above the clouds, just inside this mansion is foyer, where a lot of people stay,(That is the base mechanics and already deep level a game play melee has)The Techniques and Advanced Techniques in melee were like hundreds of doors leading to a deeper and more dazzling parts of this amazing mansion, deeper and deeper and deeper and d e e p e r...

Brawl is like a a tiny mansion with a really friggen big foyer, and about ten doors.

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman

You're pretty ignorant about it but at least you admit to it.

Technical aspects bring more movement options. Which means your attacking options must be well chosen or else you'll be punished. The button combinations such as wave dashing are only additions to your very basic jab attacks or dash grabs.

battousai555

Smash Ace
Melee is like a Mansion so grand you cant see the back of it and the top reaches above the clouds, just inside this mansion is foyer, where a lot of people stay,(That is the base mechanics and already deep level a game play melee has)The Techniques and Advanced Techniques in melee were like hundreds of doors leading to a deeper and more dazzling parts of this amazing mansion, deeper and deeper and deeper and d e e p e r...
Well put (*sheds a tear*), well put...

Neverender

Smash Journeyman

Okay, im going to put this into terms you will understand. If in melee you randomly press buttons, what do you do in brawl? Just slam the controller and hope you win?

Deadandlivin

Smash Apprentice
Because melee had an endless amount of options. Something brawl dont have and probably never will.

Incase you would add wavedash and shuffle's only to Brawl, the game would certainly be better but never arise the same glory melee has.
The thing i think is awsome with melee?
It's so uniqe, dont get me wrong now. Brawl is fine aswell but it's slowphased, boring to watch and boring to live through when you're used to melee as i am. The amount of AT wasn't what made melee. Rather what you could do with them.
String attacks together, approach, retreat, Mindgame, Show-off :D

Yeah, and ofcourse the speed! In every freaking game i play i prefer speed before almost anything else when the two items you compare have the same DPS. It's generally since speed has such a greater feeling then for example power.
Now the problem is they didn't make Brawl more powerful in anyway, or how you would like to say. No, they just made the game slower, increased the durabillity of every character and forces everyone to live through stocks of 5minute where people camps with ranged til someone attacks and smashes the camper so far away from himself he cant put in another attack.

One thing i hate with brawl aswell is the balance thingy. People jump up and tell you: OMGz0R BraWlZ Iz SO Muzh mOR3 BalaNCEDz0R!!!!
They use irrelevent arguments such as: Lower tiers in brawl has a higher chanse against top tiers in brawl then melee had. That is false statements and the game just isnt balanced.
Let me remind you of:

1: Cort ($435.60) (Snake)
2: PC Chris ($237.60) (Snake)
3: Nuro ($118.80) (Snake)
4: Jinx (Metaknight)
5: Solid Jake (Snake)
5: Darc (Snake)

I think melee is more balanced since it had a higher and greater population where every character had a greater chanse overall then they have in brawl. Mewtwo can beat Foxes for example, though it'd would allways be impossible for bowsers to beat snakes.

And last the intense gaming mode you had while playing melee. You, kinda began to shake of excitment while playing melee. It was all so intense and stringed together. Characters playing were almost allways ontop of eachother beating them to hell except when they were retreating, approaching or recovering(Jiggs and kirby as an exception).

Melee has:
-Speed
-Combos
-Excitment
-Options in-game
-Even harder mindgaming(Predict DI)
-Intense Playing(In most cases)
-"More" balance

I'm quite sure i really went offtopic but i just wanted to clearly point out what i think is great, or better with melee.

To bad it doesnt have WIFI...:mad:

jugfingers

Smash Champion
in Melee both opponents have an equal opportunity to **** each other.

in brawl no one has an opportunity to **** anyone, and you fall randomly.

Amide

Smash Lord
As much as I like brawl more, I just watched a video of an SSBM match in Lightning mode. Then I realized it wasn't lightning mode... *Sigh*

Still doesn't make it up for me.

Vts

Smash Champion
if you like to take time to practice and get better then melee is for you.
if you like to pick up a game and press button then brawl is for u

competitive gamers will pick melee>brawl any chance they get, its just has so much more to do with skill than character.

nintendo had a pole asking if you liked brawl saying that maybe in future years they will be another brawl or melee.... i hope melee.

-peace vts

dudutsai

Smash Lord
As much as I like brawl more, I just watched a video of an SSBM match in Lightning mode. Then I realized it wasn't lightning mode... *Sigh*

Still doesn't make it up for me.
Have you tried playing Melee with anyone competant at the game?
That could be it. The difference is unimaginable

Zodiac

Smash Master
Have you tried playing Melee with anyone competant at the game?
That could be it. The difference is unimaginable
He's right, that really could be it. When you fight a high level player, you see just how many levels the game has and can start to understand it. Honestly I still dont fully understand it because I haven't smashed with seasoned pros. just regular pros.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If you have ever shine spiked or drill shined someone (repeatidly), you just KNOW why Melee was, will be, and is simply a amazing game, despite it's dozens upon dozens of flaws. Shine Spiking and Drill Shining are just sooo amazing to perform, and so exciting to do. Even if they are broken to ridiculous extremes! (like crazyily ridiculously broken and unfair) :laugh:

Sliq

Smash Master
I prefer Melee because I can trick people into doing things. In Brawl, I have limited means for tricking or confusing an opponent. It is all about guessing what they are going to do, and retaliating, which is something that you could do in Melee. But in Melee, you could also FORCE your opponent to do something that you wanted them to, and not have to rely on guessing.

i.e. dashdancing to force a tech roll and following up, as opposed to guessing which way they'll roll and going after them.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
If you have ever shine spiked or drill shined someone (repeatidly), you just KNOW why Melee was, will be, and is simply a amazing game, despite it's dozens upon dozens of flaws. Shine Spiking and Drill Shining are just sooo amazing to perform, and so exciting to do. Even if they are broken to ridiculous extremes! (like crazyily ridiculously broken and unfair) :laugh:
The real amazing part is having all these "broken" parts, which are awesome to see and use, yet still have a game that is relatively balanced (for the upper characters atleast) and fun to play competitively or casually.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
one thing you should notice is that the techniques add to the strategial aspects (i.e. mindgames) of the game, not make it more technical-only. kind of like starcraft, where the technical aspect/speed AND strategy is necessary to win.

its onw of those things where you have to really play the game to understand.

Grunt

Smash Master
Go ahead! I dont mind at all.
Now you should quote something i said and we can have a triangle of sig quotes. :D
EDIT: Woah what? a different battaousai...WTF?

I like melee better because after i hit someone, i can have a chance at hitting them again without retaliating immediately after i hit them.

jayrocs

Smash Cadet
Let me fix some things for you. Nothing in melee is "stronger" by pressing buttons in a certain order. Things get faster, faster tempo = more exciting game. Aside from that, maybe wavedashing wasn't meant to be in the game but l-cancelling was, as z-cancelling existed in smash64. These basic fundamentals in the game which every player practices and goes through give it so much more depth than brawl. But seriously, as most people have already tried explaining just watch some videos of melee at top level versus videos of brawl top level. If you just can't see that melee is a lot more fun to watch, which means more fun to play than brawl then I suggest you stick to brawl, melee is not your game so leave it alone. For me, the biggest difference in the two is the hitstun. Combos exist in melee they dont exist in brawl.

And I for one like to know that my practicing will lead to more winning, and more decisive wins. In brawl, any random scrub can pick it up for 2 hours and no longer be 3 stocked, and may even take stocks off you. In melee, random scrubs get jv 5 stocked or 4 stocked for months and months until they learn the fundamentals and mind games. So sorry to say it but brawl is a party game, and wasn't meant to be competetive.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I have more to look forward to in melee, more ways to improve.

This is what I have to look forward to in Brawl

see? If I want to improve in Brawl, I just have to be more campy and pick snake. To get better in melee, I have to improve my tactics.

Melee is a lot more tactical than Brawl. In Melee, you can actually get into better positions than your opponent. Approaching in certain ways against opponents with certain physics and damages would allow you to get larger combos. You have a significant advantage over someone who is off the edge, in the air above you, or landing while stunned near you. You can use these situations to keep hitting your opponent if you combine proper spacing and tactics with good technical skill.

In Brawl, there is almost no edgeguarding tactics whatsoever, since anyone can easily sweet-spot the ledge right away. All you can really do is edgehog tether recoveries, which is really cheap and takes almost no skill. Look at Mew2King. He is amazing at edgeguarding in Melee, I can't remember seeing a single person making it back on the stage when they were knocked off with him on the stage near the edge. Was he able to do this through technical skill alone? While his precise control over his character certainly certainty was needed to make it possible, it was his tactics that allowed him to dominate his opponent; there are other people with similar technical skill that can't edgeguard nearly as well.

In Brawl, I feel like the extent of tactics is knowing what moves not to use because using them will mean you getting hit back immediately upon using them. I was able to go to a local Brawl tournament and come in 4th out of about 20 people using a new character even though I hadn't touched the game in a month, just by using campy strategies that take very little skill or thinking. One of the main reasons I lost was because I was using moves that I didn't realize would allow my opponent to retaliate immediately, dealing more damage than I had dealt to them.

In Brawl, if you're in the air and your opponent is on the ground, you can airdodge to sheild with no consequences. If you're off the edge you can just auto sweet-spot. Tech chasing often isn't possible, and a lot of times you will be perfectly fine if you don't tech at all. Attacking while thinking about which move will be best to allow you to keep the combo going as long as possible, thinking 3-4 or more moves ahead and predicting your opponent's DI isn't in Brawl either, since there are no combos.

Amide

Smash Lord
Let me fix some things for you. Nothing in melee is "stronger" by pressing buttons in a certain order. Things get faster, faster tempo = more exciting game. Aside from that, maybe wavedashing wasn't meant to be in the game but l-cancelling was, as z-cancelling existed in smash64. These basic fundamentals in the game which every player practices and goes through give it so much more depth than brawl. But seriously, as most people have already tried explaining just watch some videos of melee at top level versus videos of brawl top level. If you just can't see that melee is a lot more fun to watch, which means more fun to play than brawl then I suggest you stick to brawl, melee is not your game so leave it alone. For me, the biggest difference in the two is the hitstun. Combos exist in melee they dont exist in brawl.

And I for one like to know that my practicing will lead to more winning, and more decisive wins. In brawl, any random scrub can pick it up for 2 hours and no longer be 3 stocked, and may even take stocks off you. In melee, random scrubs get jv 5 stocked or 4 stocked for months and months until they learn the fundamentals and mind games. So sorry to say it but brawl is a party game, and wasn't meant to be competetive.
Look, I understand your points, but saying that you can't really be better than someone in brawl and that it can't be competitive is not true. I can five stock my friend (he's actually not awful), yet I can get three stocked by a competitive player. Skill DOES matter.

Top Bottom