• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Please help

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
He knows about shield grabbing already. Yesterday, he learned how to tech and cc. He interrogated me for those. I'm getting better though, I beat him 4 out of ten right now. He'll use DK and be shield-grab-happy. He'll throw me up and do his f-smash. The only way to beat that is to grab him first, right?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You're Falco, right? Fast fall and L-cancel your DAirs into Shines, if done properly then he will be unable to shieldgrab you. Attempting to do so will result in getting hit by the Shine.

Samochan

Smash Master
He knows about shield grabbing already. Yesterday, he learned how to tech and cc. He interrogated me for those. I'm getting better though, I beat him 4 out of ten right now. He'll use DK and be shield-grab-happy. He'll throw me up and do his f-smash. The only way to beat that is to grab him first, right?
You have ways to avoid shieldgrabbing, that's what L-canceling, evasion, dd, spacing and jabs are for. :3 DK has a crappy range, so is you space your aerials and even ground attacks well he cannot get that grab, no matter how much he tries. When you space your aerial, be certain that you L-cancel it properly and depending of your character of choice, start some more countermeasures against the upcoming shieldgrab. If you use Falco, you can just shl to him and grab first. If you aerial him, they have enough shieldstun that you can shine and jump out before the grab and if he goes for it, shine gets him into the combo. With other characters like Marth, you can space before them, out of their shieldgrab range and grab yourself if you want or just dash away. But with a character like Marth you can just as easily use an aerial on him and go trough him so you end up behind his shield, effectively nullifying his chances at shieldgrabbing you cause he obviously cannot turn around in shield and grab (though some can grab behind and inside them as well, since the grab hitbox itself reaches their back or starts out from there). From behind his shield, you can start easily to dd away and back into a punishment of your own, or start doing something to his shield, or just reverse grab when you land behind him.

As a Falco player, it should be made your first priority as to not get grabbed and punish every poorly timed shieldgrabbing attempt there is. DK also really can't just uthrow you into fsmash, you can jump and/or tech and shield before he gets the fsmash in, unless I'm wrong about this ( I don't play or study DK, sue me >_> ). If he techs, start observing where he techs and techchase. If he likes to cc, use attacks that have range that nullify cc'ing or attacks that are unable to be cc'ed due to being meteors or too much hitstun (like Falco's dair or Marth's dair or tipper fair). Unless he does stuff like cg and uthrow cargo into multiple uairs and go all Bum style on you, Falco can definitely own DK with his plain superiority. SHL a lot, take care to always L-cancel your aerials into anti-shieldgrabbing stuff, space well, combo well, edgeguard well. DK is a big and compared to most, slow so use this to your advantage. Doesn't have range problems due to being so big though, but Falco has long and deadly feet. :p

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, I'll do that. If he spams his roll, what should I do? Does Falco's D-smash have enough range to hit?
And if I were to record a match, would a video camera be fine for that, or do I need better quality?

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
Do you have any general stategies, because he changes characters everytime he plays. I'm really getting pissed off. He can beat me with anyone, and he does the same thing with all of them. Roll>Roll> Shield grab or Shield grab> smash. He rolls anytime I do anything, including my Shffles. What can I do against it?

Flare233

Smash Journeyman
Just stay calm and try to predict where he is gonna roll. You gotta think ahead about 2 seconds. If you are sure he is gonna roll away from u just dash and shorthop to where he is gonna be and do dair (l-canceled) -> shine -> jump (immediately after shine) -> d-air -> repeat. Or just stay where u are and spam SHB/SHL.

I guess you could just spam SHB and wait for him to come to you (camp). Try to predict what he is gonna do and punish accordingly with shieldgrab or CC.

If you need help with your strategies and want to know how it should look when u do these techniques properly, watch some videos of Falco pros like PC Chris, Dope and Bombsoldier on youtube. It would be helpful if you posted some videos, and yes, a handheld camera is fine its a start.

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
I have my shuffles down. I need a stategy against Mewtwo. He keeps charging up his blue ball, and rolling when I go to attack him, should I just spam my laser? I finally ran at him and changed directions as he rolled. It worked once, but he threw the ball at me the second time I tried. I don't know what to do.

TheRumster

Smash Rookie
Dude, I had the same problem with my brother. Except it was more infuriating that I was losing since he was two years younger than me.

I know his moveset up and down now (he plays sheik , i play Luigi) and I can beat him about everytime. once you get there, it's a great feeling bro!

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
K, I just played him again for about an hour. He jumped from character to character as he usually does, but this time, I was killing him. After about eight matches where I 2 or 3 stock him, I make a comment on how much he sucks. He gets really pissed off and chooses Marth as his character. He spams his f-smash whenever I charge at him to do a shuffle. Besides the f-smash, I died three or four times with 40-50 damage because of his edgeguarding. He stays on the platform and just waits. He will use his f-smash when I am coming back to the stage and uses his d-smash when I come back from below. If he doesn't hit me with that, he'll hit me as I come up from the ledge. What can I do against him?
Ps.
He started teching and ccing. He just picked it up off of me, I didn't teach him anything. I think he is also unintetianally L-canceling. He uses a controller with a broken Z button, so he always grabs with R and A. I think he is pressing R as soon as he lands.

Bump

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
You shouldn't avoid teaching him the advanced techniques. Keeping them from him is also keeping yourself from becoming as good as you can become. You become better by playing against better opponents and adapting to their skill level by either understanding their play or practicing technical skills.

You should tell your brother about them, and then you should both read your respective character guides.

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
The only person I care about beating is him. Once I can consistently beat him, then I will teach him advanced techs. I have told him things but he just ignores them and calls me cheap for seeking advise online. He complained about CCing until he started using it. If he learns advanced techniques and really works at them he'll be unstopable. Anyway, any suggestions against a F-smash happy Marth and the edgeguarding techniques listed before.

Bump

Top Bottom