• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM 3.5....better than Smash Wii U?

Which do you think is going to be better? (Overall)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I'm very excited for 3.5! Smash4 doesn't look much different to brawl to me thus far. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing but the hitstun isnt much more then brawl and so far it appears, based on the 3DS version, that matches consist of the same play style as brawl not PM or melee. I'm slightly doubtful that smash4 will be much more then brawl competitively, and I love brawl it's just not as difficult IMO.
Is it bad that I'm more exited for PM 3.5 than I am for Smash for Wii U? ._.
Now I really am more excited for PM 3.5 than Super Smash Bros Wii U.
Comments like these make me wonder stuff like this. Like, people more excited about an upgraded mod than an actual game?

Well now that I think about it, I assume the majority of the Smashboards community plays more competitively than "Hazard-full free-for-alls", which is understandable. Everyone has their smash needs whenever that player is casual or competitive. Obviously, Smash 4 has a lot to offer other than simple competitive matches, like 8-player smash, the custom stage builder, which definitely looks a lot better than it's previous iteration by the way, and much more that we learned from the 50-fact extravaganza video. This thread was made out of my curiosity of your opinion on the upcoming Smash game / mod. So i'm simply asking you, which do you think is going to be the more-played Smash? (OK that is definitely going to be Smash 4 since there are a lot more casuals than there are competitive players, but I don't see much casuals having a Smashboards account and they probably don't even know about PM at all so that was a dumb question).

Better question: Which smash game / mod would you want more?

My personal answer? Well, I don't have a Wii U yet, and I'm debating whenever I should get one for Christmas 2015 so I can get Smash Wii U (and other Wii U games eventually like Sonic Lost World, Splatoons, Super Mario 3D World, the list goes on). I have the 3DS version, so debating on getting another console for another smash game that has the exact same mechanics on the $43 smash game I paid for seems kind of dumb (I honestly have no problems with the controls on the 3DS, and yes, my control stick is just fine). As much as I want Mewtwo, I could also play as him in PM.

Boiko

:drshrug:
It's just going to come down to a matter of preference. One isn't going to be better than the other, just different.

I'm personally more excited for 3.5, because I enjoy melee/PM more than other versions of the game, but that's just me.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
You know, this thread is probably going to bring nothing but arguments, heated debates, and super biased opinions...

But, that aside, I'm WAY more hyped for PM 3.5 than Smash for the Wii U (partially due to the fact that I don't have a Wii U).

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
You know, this thread is probably going to bring nothing but arguments, heated debates, and super biased opinions...

But, that aside, I'm WAY more hyped for PM 3.5 than Smash for the Wii U.
*sigh*, apperently no one can respect opinion these days, I'm at least hoping this thread won't have that much "trolly" people.

Considering how much you like PM Ganondorf, I understand your opinion.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Why should it matter that I'm slightly more excited about one than the other, when I'm EXTREMELY excited about both ?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Why should it matter that I'm slightly more excited about one than the other, when I'm EXTREMELY excited about both ?
Huh, maybe I should've put a "both" option then.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
I'm more in the PM crowd, but Smash 4 is a fine game, and I'm definitely looking forward to the release of the Wii U version (even though I won't be buying it). I prefer PM competitively and against skilled opponents, but Smash 4 is great as well with opponents of any skill level. I just don't see myself playing that game competitively in the near future simply because I don't want to put too much time into the game.

D

Deleted member

I'm excited for both. PM has superior gameplay and lots of great fanservice like costumes. Smash Wii U has new characters, new stages, new modes, and beautiful graphics.

Zoa

Smash Ace
PM 3.5 straight up. I've had my experience with Smash 4 for several weeks, and honestly don't care for it right now in terms of game play. That's a major problem for me as Smash is one of those few games that make or it break it for me based on game play. The lack of reward for offensive play, vast number of unsafe options, and removal of edgehogging in a game with long distance recoveries that have far out blast zones just kill the experience for me. I certainly don't have these issues in extremes when I play PM, so my vote definitely goes to it.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
PM 3.5 straight up. I've had my experience with Smash 4 for several weeks, and honestly don't care for it right now in terms of game play. That's a major problem for me as Smash is one of those few games that make or it break it for me based on game play. The lack of reward for offensive play, vast number of unsafe options, and removal of edgehogging in a game with long distance recoveries that have far out blast zones just kill the experience for me. I certainly don't have these issues in extremes when I play PM, so my vote definitely goes to it.
That's definitley understandable for a competitive player.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
If only you guys knew what is going to be in 3.5..*sigh* this would even be comparable.
Lucas is getting nerfed.......I don't know about you but that's all I need to hear XD

But seriously, PM 3.5 should offer more of a balance to the roster as well as upgraded visuals (the remastered N64 Hyrule stage should say that) and all these other additions like new costumes based from other games you wouldn't expect.

SmashLord0

Smash Cadet
Lucas is getting nerfed.......I don't know about you but that's all I need to hear XD

But seriously, PM 3.5 should offer more of a balance to the roster as well as upgraded visuals (the remastered N64 Hyrule stage should say that) and all these other additions like new costumes based from other games you wouldn't expect.

There is waaaaaaaaaaay more in 3.5 than just new costumes and stages and nerfs. You have no idea son

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Why is this posted in the pm boards where there is an obvious pm preference? 9.9

I'm hyped for both tbh (even tho Sm4sh oli nerfs still are hard to take T_T). I mean, competitively, pm for sure. But Sm4sh has more Nintendo nostalgia. Personal preference is what is driving most people to their choice, me thinks.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Why is this posted in the pm boards where there is an obvious pm preference? 9.9

I'm hyped for both tbh (even tho Sm4sh oli nerfs still are hard to take T_T). I mean, competitively, pm for sure. But Sm4sh has more Nintendo nostalgia. Personal preference is what is driving most people to their choice, me thinks.
Well I knew this thread could be posted in either PM or Smash 4, since this thread involves both games, but I decided to put it here simply because.

My god I REALLY should've put a both option. Too late to do that?

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I do not think PM outshines Smash 4 as a whole.

But it does outshine Smash 4 in several aspects, and one of those aspects is a big part of the game for me.

Sure, Smash 4 has new characters, modes, and stages. However, all of those elements just fall hand in hand with the gameplay. If I don't feel satisfied with the gameplay, how can I enjoy the rest of the game as much?

Overall, I am excited for both, but I really want to become better with PM.

Zoa

Smash Ace
47 is some kind of big secret meaning the PMDT is going to reveal soon.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Welp, time for a rambling that no one is going to read. =D

But yeah. *shrugs* Honestly, Smash 4 has me more hyped.

3.5 has done absolutely nothing to really keep my interest. It's piqued it at times with some of the costumes, but then proceeded to do absolutely nothing else of any sort of significance. Meanwhile, Smash 4 had the 50-Fact Extravaganza which explained a lot of things I was curious about and pretty much sold me once Mewtwo was confirmed which was pretty much the only thing PM had over it for me once I got used to the gameplay for both.

Gameplay wise, I do prefer PM's style, but now there's too many characters I like that aren't in PM while the characters I play in PM are all in Smash 4 as well, so...Eh.

I'm holding my final judgement until 3.5 is out, but that's another thing that's made me lose interest: No release window.

That's a more understandable thing and isn't a fault in any way whatsoever as they need all the time they can get, but too much time with nothing really said doesn't keep me curious and anxious. It makes me get bored and eventually just stop caring. People are saying there's a lot more to 3.5 than just costumes and universal character changes, but I can't be asked to feel any sort of desire to be curious about it anymore at this point. If nothing is going to be said, I see literally no point.

The reason I got into PM when ti first cam out was because I played every single released version of Brawl+, including the Nightly builds, and PM really felt like the next step up in every version. Even with some character changes that I admittedly disliked. Once 3.02 hit though and was out for awhile...I honestly got bored of PM. I went from playing it dozens of hours a week to once in a few months. Kinda comes from the fact that only playing the usual Smash mode bores me after while, though.

It's really strange. I prefer PM's gameplay style without a shadow of a doubt, but have just lost interest in it compared to Smash 4 whose gameplay style I don't prefer, but can get used to since I at least have more stuff to do in it. Even if I still can't figure out how to hell combos work in that game. Seriously, at least in PM, I just have to make move connect one after another with proper reads and precision. I swear it doesn't work that way in Smash 4. >>'

In truth, I suppose my problem isn't so much that I find 3.5 uninteresting. I don't have any hype for 3.5 because I'm so tired and bored of 3.02 and it's still all I see freshly in my mind when I hear "PM". I'm looking for something that really looks and feels "fresh and new" and Smash 4 is doing that for me right now.

So yeah Smash 4 has me more hyped than 3.5 currently, to answer that question.

However, to answer the question of "which one I going to play", that would be both. That's because I know that if 3.5 doesn't have me hyped at this point, it's solely because I haven't played it yet.

And to answer "which will I play first and more often", that'll go to PM 3.5 for three reasons:

1. Like I said, I prefer it's gameplay style.
2. I want to explore absolutely everything and find out just how different the mod really is now.
And 3...Ha ha ha...I don't even have a Wii U yet anyway or the money to get one, so I'm still stuck with Smash 3DS and I hate playing Smash with a 3DS. I want a real controller, dammit. ¦D;

But all of that aside, for me, Smash 4 will be better for when I play with others while 3.5 will probably be better for when I play alone.

My friends can actually beat me in Smash 4, so I know they prefer it massively to PM where I curbstomp them and they can't seem to understand me when I try to walk them through mechanics and characters and explain things so they'll get better and don't want to try to either. I can sort of understand that, though. ¦D;

Celestis

Smash Ace
It's just going to come down to a matter of preference. One isn't going to be better than the other, just different.
This

I will be owning Smash 4 day one and my friends and I have a weekend planned around it including Friday that we are playing hookie. BUT! I am still more interested in PM all together.
8 players and new characters can't win me over. The lack of options and slow pace the game has just is not all that appealing to me. It feels so sticky and unresponsive. It is fun, at least on the 3ds, But PM to me is even more fun. Both competitively and as a party game.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Guys, 47 was joke from the April fools video that got taken too seriously and the people started joking about it everywhere and then people who didn't know came along and started forming stupid theories. Jesus **** it's even been stated multiple times

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Welp, time for a rambling that no one is going to read. =D

But yeah. *shrugs* Honestly, Smash 4 has me more hyped.

3.5 has done absolutely nothing to really keep my interest. It's piqued it at times with some of the costumes, but then proceeded to do absolutely nothing else of any sort of significance. Meanwhile, Smash 4 had the 50-Fact Extravaganza which explained a lot of things I was curious about and pretty much sold me once Mewtwo was confirmed which was pretty much the only thing PM had over it for me once I got used to the gameplay for both.

Gameplay wise, I do prefer PM's style, but now there's too many characters I like that aren't in PM while the characters I play in PM are all in Smash 4 as well, so...Eh.

I'm holding my final judgement until 3.5 is out, but that's another thing that's made me lose interest: No release window.

That's a more understandable thing and isn't a fault in any way whatsoever as they need all the time they can get, but too much time with nothing really said doesn't keep me curious and anxious. It makes me get bored and eventually just stop caring. People are saying there's a lot more to 3.5 than just costumes and universal character changes, but I can't be asked to feel any sort of desire to be curious about it anymore at this point. If nothing is going to be said, I see literally no point.

The reason I got into PM when ti first cam out was because I played every single released version of Brawl+, including the Nightly builds, and PM really felt like the next step up in every version. Even with some character changes that I admittedly disliked. Once 3.02 hit though and was out for awhile...I honestly got bored of PM. I went from playing it dozens of hours a week to once in a few months. Kinda comes from the fact that only playing the usual Smash mode bores me after while, though.

It's really strange. I prefer PM's gameplay style without a shadow of a doubt, but have just lost interest in it compared to Smash 4 whose gameplay style I don't prefer, but can get used to since I at least have more stuff to do in it. Even if I still can't figure out how to hell combos work in that game. Seriously, at least in PM, I just have to make move connect one after another with proper reads and precision. I swear it doesn't work that way in Smash 4. >>'

In truth, I suppose my problem isn't so much that I find 3.5 uninteresting. I don't have any hype for 3.5 because I'm so tired and bored of 3.02 and it's still all I see freshly in my mind when I hear "PM". I'm looking for something that really looks and feels "fresh and new" and Smash 4 is doing that for me right now.

So yeah Smash 4 has me more hyped than 3.5 currently, to answer that question.

However, to answer the question of "which one I going to play", that would be both. That's because I know that if 3.5 doesn't have me hyped at this point, it's solely because I haven't played it yet.

And to answer "which will I play first and more often", that'll go to PM 3.5 for three reasons:

1. Like I said, I prefer it's gameplay style.
2. I want to explore absolutely everything and find out just how different the mod really is now.
And 3...Ha ha ha...I don't even have a Wii U yet anyway or the money to get one, so I'm still stuck with Smash 3DS and I hate playing Smash with a 3DS. I want a real controller, dammit. ¦D;

But all of that aside, for me, Smash 4 will be better for when I play with others while 3.5 will probably be better for when I play alone.

My friends can actually beat me in Smash 4, so I know they prefer it massively to PM where I curbstomp them and they can't seem to understand me when I try to walk them through mechanics and characters and explain things so they'll get better and don't want to try to either. I can sort of understand that, though. ¦D;
I see what you mean. The same gameplay all the time, no matter how fast, can get a little repititive. I'm surprised Melee is still running even with all of what PM had to offer.

That last sentence you said was gold to me. "Can't seem to understand me when I try to walk them through the mechanics" XD Dude I have the same problem. Every single friend I have who plays any form of Smash plays casually way more than competitively, and when they go competive, I 3-4 stock them every game. I tell them these mechanics and they don't even want to do them, no matter how simple they are (regular Wavedashing: Jump, then dodge in a diagonal downward direction, that's it). My brother actually hates Project M because he think's it's bad that everything was made to be competitive (Bowser getting his jump cancel, Kirby's Mewtwo abilities changed, white pikmin exploding, the list goes on) and it's a "game based off exploits" that wern't supposed to be a thing in Melee.

I sware I'm gonna get angry, stupid, and make a thread about that one day. But overall, I understand you. Smash 4 fits more needs esspecially when talking outside of competitive play.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Guys, 47 was joke from the April fools video that got taken too seriously and the people started joking about it everywhere and then people who didn't know came along and started forming stupid theories. Jesus **** it's even been stated multiple times
Pichu deconfirmed, depressed now.

joshl94

Smash Apprentice
You posted this in the PM board where there's an obvious preference for it. I don't see the point.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Thanks for this, DrinkingFood. Was not aware of this at all.

D

Deleted member

I feel that Project M is the definitive smash game. I've actually decided NOT to pick up the new Smash because of this. I personally trust the PM DT more than Nintendo themselves. They KNOW the problems, they FIX the problems, and then ADD. Smash games made by Nintendo are anything but balanced, they add, remove, and create a mixture of good things and bad things. It's odd.

Also, because I don't want to play as a half-***ed (Dr.)Mario ._.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
If Smash4 didn't look like more of the same Brawl-y gameplay, I'd be more interested in it. But having played the demo on 3DS, and lacking a WiiU, my hype is extremely low for Smash4.

PM on the other hand, they keep revealing things that show that they care about the game and not just getting a return on a cash investment. A good deal of Smash4's costumes are pretty lazy too, which puts PM ahead in that department as well.

GeZ

Smash Lord
As in like a 47th character? Pichu confirmed?
HA

Seriously, this has been blown way out of proportion. Though apparently it's a hug freaking riot for the PMBR and PMDT, so that's something anyway.

Last edited:

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
The game that won't have a short lived meta game because it's too similar to it's predecessor....

Exodo

Smash Ace
there many things like online 8 player mode, bigger roster, the stage builder also that makes me want to play smash4, though from personal experience from the 3ds version. PM is and it will still be my favorite one, by muuuch. the fact you can also costume your PM build super easily makes it even better, like adding awesome music which is what i always do.

anyway 3.5 for the win!! GIVE US A RELEASE DATE ALREADY GODDAMNIT SJDANBFAH!!!

SmashLord0

Smash Cadet
I
there many things like online 8 player mode, bigger roster, the stage builder also that makes me want to play smash4, though from personal experience from the 3ds version. PM is and it will still be my favorite one, by muuuch. the fact you can also costume your PM build super easily makes it even better, like adding awesome music which is what i always do.

anyway 3.5 for the win!! GIVE US A RELEASE DATE ALREADY GODDAMNIT SJDANBFAH!!!

A trailer is probably coming out November 18th just like 3.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom