• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PM Turbo Tuesdays Anniversary Edition Analysis

Which Character Do You Want in a Future Official Release of Project M?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Project M Turbo Tuesdays Anniversary Edition: Samus Video Analysis
If you haven't seen the video, please watch it first. If you have seen the video, read on. Remember all of this is mere speculation. If you have anything to add, please post below!

Samus Turbo Mode:
As with most other Turbo mode videos, this one is TAS'd as well. Lots of good combos and not to much looks new in the terms of content for this segment of the video.

Edit: In this segment you can see that the Screen KOs that were removed in Project M 3.0 have been re-added. They have presumably been fixed to match the timing of a Star KO.

Ike Climbers:
As much as I wish the Ike Climbers were a legitimate character, it's easy to dismiss them from being a legitimate character in Project M. The Ike Climbers can easily be playable by using two Ike characters with modified costumes, one being an alternate assigned to a team slot. Think of a Red team with Red Mario (Normal Mario) and a Red Doctor Mario (Red Alt Costume). With Friendly Fire off, the pair cannot hurt each other. I believe the same sort of thing was staged with the Ike Climbers. If you analyse all the matches the Ike Climbers are displayed in, you might notice that they never show up in a match with more than three players. Having four players containing one as the Ike Climbers (The set of two individually controlled Ikes that would count as two inputs) would be impossible due to the fact there can only be four controller inputs at this time. Both of these Ikes are being played at the same time with absolute precision to fool viewers into thinking they are synced and desynced as Ice Climbers are, so remember the video is TAS'd. When the Ike Climbers spawn they clearly spawn as two Ikes individually as seen by two of the same 'intro into battle' animations (Sorry, I don't know the correct term for these). They spawn in the same exact place, so the spawn point of one player may have been altered here on Fountain of Dreams. Notice also the HUD as they spawn doesn't match any other HUD in the game - it's lost it's outline on the numbers and seems unfinished or poorly photoshopped.

Edited Addition: The Ike Climbers don't work together on their Final Smash.
Edit from Lunchables/ZachAttax64: This might have been used to spawn the Ike Climbers.
Edit: None of Ike's sword hitboxes appear to be adjusted for the hammers.

Slippy:
Slippy right now is appears to be an unfinished clone engine character. He obviously had Fox's data copypasta'd into a free slot. Notice he has no sounds and only two unique animations: An idle animation and a walking animation. Aside from those you'll notice all his other animations mirror Fox's animations one for one (example: his multi-kick). Though Slippy could be a joke character, Slippy does have PM-centric art for promotion like Roy and Mewtwo did at the end of the trailer. He obviously has a fully rendered out custom character model by the PMBR. Out of the three teased in the new trailer (Ike Climbers, Slippy, and Ridley) I believe Slippy has the biggest chance of getting in.

Slippy could be a alt costume for Fox, but judging by how Brawl's file system works makes me seem iffy on the idea. Each character in the game has a folder in the game's data which holds a bunch of files. One main file has a character's move set data - hitboxes and animations along with code that tells the game to do things at certain times. The other files in the folder are merely costumes or skins for that character which don't hold animation. Slippy clearly has new animation which makes me think he isn't an alt costume. He also doesn't seem to have any voices or sound effects ingame (the ones in the video were clearly edited in later) which makes me go on to think he's an early clone engine character who has yet had any voices assigned to him from a character file that holds said animation and hitboxes.

Edit from Lunchables/ZachAttax64: Slippy couldn't ever be a costume for Fox do to the fact that the PMBR stated on their website that all alt costumes have to be the same character. This means that there can be no rosalina/daisy over peach, no shadow on sonic, etc. This is done to keep the hurt boxes on the characters the same.

Ridley:
The same joke Pichu was a victim to last year may have been repeated again this year. One small detail is hidden though. After Slippy's tease and before Ridley's tease, you can briefly see a '#47' in the bottom right had corner which directly relates to the clone engine character spots. Project M 3.0 currently has 41 playable characters thanks to the clone engine adding 9 character spots to the original Brawl roster. Due to the limited amount of open spots on the roster, there is a maximum of only 5 more of 46 available spots that characters such as Ridley or Slippy could use to become an official addition. Because the number in the video is one number above 46, the max of the clone engine, there could possibly have been a upgrade to the Clone Engine's code to make it near limitless or this could be just another joke from the video. Ridley has a lack of any shown work being done with him such as a model or animation, it's tough to say he has a chance of getting in the game at this point.

Edited Addition From Mit: The Ridley Artwork is used not Original.

Thanks for reading, post your thoughts below!

Last edited by a moderator:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
3.0 doesn't have 46 characters. that's just the limit allowed with the currently-used clone engine tech.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
So he's the last character they'd reveal then... lol
But 47 is beyond the "limit".
Didn't Phantom Wings make a 100 character roster clone engine? It's possible the PM CE was upgraded to have the same programming.
Imo 49 characters and a random button would be perfect (yeah, it's still a lot of work, but the css would look so good).

Last edited:

XxavierPKRS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xxavier
Someone in the Youtube comments guessed that the #47 is a reference to Melee event #47 -- where you fight on top of Majora's Mask. While this is probably just a coincidence, I would love Skull Kid in the game.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Someone in the Youtube comments guessed that the #47 is a reference to Melee event #47 -- where you fight on top of Majora's Mask. While this is probably just a coincidence, I would love Skull Kid in the game.
Maybe it's both.
Damn, is the PMBR reaching Kingdom Hearts tier symbolism?

D

Deleted member

Thanks for all the discussion and feedback guys! I'm doing my best to continuously update the main topic of the thread with new information and ideas.

D

Deleted member

http://www.twitch.tv/dantarion/b/480165254?t=27m26s
This was kind of the base of the ike climbers thing.
Also slippy couldn't ever be a costume for fox, the pmbr stated that alt costumes have to be the same character. So no rosalina/daisy over peach, no shadow on sonic, etc. It's to keep the hurtboxes the same or something iirc

bountyxhunted

Smash Cadet
OK guys this may be a huge theory craft and may go to bogus but i believe this to be true. My theory with the #47 thing has to be connected to something someway. So I began thinking how does 47 connect to time and no relevant answers right so i move on. But, luckily I had the smashbros subreddit on hand and someone posted this not exactly confirmed but still something right. Then i began thinking of the position of the number 47 in the video because it's in between the ridley thing and the slippy thing making it an odd place to put a "tease." So I had to check the exact position of the 47 and it's exact position is 4:28 ( credit to BIG_REAMES for finding it) now connect the time of the 47 to dates 4th month 28th day april 28th. What makes me think this is something is this notice the pmbr members reaction.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Lyn, Sami, Skullkid, Knuckles, and Isaac were leaked on /v/ a few months ago by a modeler/animator(?) for the PMBR named Demonboy when he wanted to quit brawl modding and burn his bridges. Some may have been scrapped because of the leak, though. How none of you caught wind of shenanigans is bewildering, do you ****s ever go anywhere besides SWF and FB? The #47 is probably a joke reference to Ridley being the 47th character, meaning he won't be in a game having a max of 46 characters. Probably not a reference to event 47, even though SkullKid is a leaked potential character. Ridley and slippy are not making it in. They were the April fools joke guys, just like Pichu was last year. Ike Climbers is obviously not a character, it is most likely Dantarions work on perfecting double-character spawning using the game's method to spawn ICs as a double character coming to fruition, probably in the form of a game mode and/or a Double-cherry item.
Screen KOs are back, big whoop, they were hardly missed.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
My theory on Ridley's inclusion is that the PMBR want us to think he isn't getting in. They hinted at him in the same way that they hinted at Pichu last year in order to trick us into losing hope only to surprise us in the end. REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY- YOU COULDN'T FOOL ME, PMBR.

;_;

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Well, we all thought Turbo mode was a joke and then it got added to the full game. Only time will tell.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Someone said Slippy should be a Dan like character. A semi-useless clone that has some cool moves or taunt attacks would be amazing. 10/10 would main.

MLGF

Smash Lord
It all means something, but since it's so vague I have no idea what the **** that something is.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Dantarion's gotten things to work, expect a new game mode soon. That's the only reason we'd see the Ike Climbers, i.m.o.

Slippy and Ridley are Fool's jokes. I.m.o, and my condolences to fans if I happen to be right.

#47 is the PMBR trolling people and wanting them to go all LOST. WHAT DO THE NUMBERS MEAAAAAAANNN

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Why in God's name would people want a trash joke character when they can have a awesome fun too strong joke character. You want a terribad joke character? you have Sopo.

Here's what I wrote on reddit a week ago when I suggested the joke character PM players deserve.

"The only joke character we need is the man who invented the shine--slippy himself! All of his specials are weird versions of shine, with his forward b = falco's brawl shine (with twice the range), up b = shine-ing star, down b = shine that sends at the wolf or falco angle when grounded and at fox spike angle in the air, and regular b is a gun that shoots mini shines that hit the opponent with the fox shine knockback/angle.

And don't even ask. Obviously this man has Fox's usmash, Falco's fsmash, Wolf's Dsmash, Fox's utilt/uair, Falco's dair, Wolf's fair, Falco's bair, and Wolf's nair (cause its the coolest one). His jumps have Falco's height and he has Wolf's horizontal air movement. Fox's speed."

Smeagol44

Smash Rookie
NNID
smeagol444
Why in God's name would people want a trash joke character when they can have a awesome fun too strong joke character. You want a terribad joke character? you have Sopo.

Here's what I wrote on reddit a week ago when I suggested the joke character PM players deserve.

"The only joke character we need is the man who invented the shine--slippy himself! All of his specials are weird versions of shine, with his forward b = falco's brawl shine (with twice the range), up b = shine-ing star, down b = shine that sends at the wolf or falco angle when grounded and at fox spike angle in the air, and regular b is a gun that shoots mini shines that hit the opponent with the fox shine knockback/angle.

And don't even ask. Obviously this man has Fox's usmash, Falco's fsmash, Wolf's Dsmash, Fox's utilt/uair, Falco's dair, Wolf's fair, Falco's bair, and Wolf's nair (cause its the coolest one). His jumps have Falco's height and he has Wolf's horizontal air movement. Fox's speed."
Please, no more shine based characters.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Why not make the shine it's own character?

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I looked through the video again and noticed that both Ike and Ike Climbers appear in one of the matches... within turbo mode. That and the portrait could mean Ike Climbers is a "new" character in the engine!

Last edited:

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
I don't really have many opinions on this but it did seem kinda awkward how slippy pretty much did nothing other than jump and kick like fox. Then you also heard fox/falco's Up Special in the Vs. Metaknight. Just seemed kinda awkward...

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Sopo is not a terribad joke character imo. He has really nice disjointed hitboxes and has a great grab game even without Nana around. He may not be top tier, but he's still very viable alone.

I'm linking this because I love Fly. Skip 3 minutes in for Sopo.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I don't really have many opinions on this but it did seem kinda awkward how slippy pretty much did nothing other than jump and kick like fox. Then you also heard fox/falco's Up Special in the Vs. Metaknight. Just seemed kinda awkward...
Work in progress.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
So about those double Foxes beating Slippy up towards the end ...

Red Fox USmashes as Orange DJ Uairs ...

Red Fox SH Lasers to the side as Orange side-specials ...

Red Fox USmashes at a slight delay after Orange does ...

Hmmm ... Looking a bit desynced, there ...

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I think we are still missing something... Like the #47 appeared at 4:28, Perhaps more info on 4/28?

Top Bottom