• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Monsters Inc. (The General Spriting Thread)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I have two in mind, cool then
It looks like a cute iwannakillyou guinea pig,:bee:

That haunter had some 70's sugar cubes,coughLSCcough
:laugh: At both things. It does look a little like a guinea pig...it's really fat and has little legs.
And yeah, Haunter is Inter-Generation--he can defy time. As such, he DEFINITELY went back in time and got some uh..."sugar cubes". :laugh:

*Facepalm* Someone put "tagged" in the tags, for whatever reason, and...yeah, they spelled "tagged" wrong.
*Epic Facepalm*

One thing I don't understand about the tag system is why the creator of the thread cannot deal with all tags. If someone puts spam tags on your thread, you should be able to remove them.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Also, Terywj, I finished the Fire Regi, Luxray w/ Ninetails's nine tails, and Aerodactyl/Latios.

I initially didn't understand that you wanted a new Regi completely--in fact, I didn't understand that until I had already made this one. But I don't like Regigigas, so for all I care, this can replace him as a fourth Regi, not as a master but as equal. So while it may not be what you were expecting...here he is.
Hey, would you mind if I gave this request a shot? I have a great idea for it.

Also, I finished a sprite that I've spent hours on. Completely drawn from scratch, I present to you:

Crystalix // 6-18-08
Rock/Ghost

majora_787

Smash Hero
What would you guys say is the easiest pokemon to recolor? I was thinking of attempting recolors and possibly fusions.

Spire

III
BRoomer
What would you guys say is the easiest pokemon to recolor? I was thinking of attempting recolors and possibly fusions.
It's not about which is the easiest, it's about which is the most appealing. Honestly, they're all made up of a relative number of pixels, it's just a matter of which appeals to you, and your concept for its new makeup. But you have to study the Pokemon.

For instance. Say you're going to change Golem (a rock type) to an ice-type. You have to take into consideration how he was drawn and why he was drawn that way. Obviously he was created to appear to be made of stones, and was further colored to best fit a stone-like appearance. If you were to change him to ice, however, you would have to take into consideration how to change his appearance so he actually looks to be made of ice chunks. You can't just go in and recolor him all a few shades of blue, you have to be very meticulous about all of the elements that the type brings into the mix.

Ice is colorless, but reflects the colors of its surroundings, so you must also think of where this Ice Golem may live. Perhaps it will live deep in a cold, brown cave. The ice should not be blue, but rather slightly brown, or even gray in tint. You could also use some blue with some gray or brown also to mix it up, but be careful so the colors flow how they should. The sharper colors you use in contrast with one another, the more jagged the edges may feel, or if worse comes to worst, then you may end up with a Missingno.

I can talk to you more, but I don't want to ramble on and on.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Hey, would you mind if I gave this request a shot? I have a great idea for it.

Also, I finished a sprite that I've spent hours on. Completely drawn from scratch, I present to you:

Crystalix // 6-18-08
Rock/Ghost

Crystalix looks nice but why Rock/Ghost? He looks more like an Ice type.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Crystalix looks nice but why Rock/Ghost? He looks more like an Ice type.
Well, Ice is a type of crystal formed when Water and Water only freezes. Crystals are not relative to any type of element in specific, but can be formed from many, many elements and compounds. My concept for Crystalix was for it to be a perfectly formed Onix, in a way, to where it's no longer just rock. It is still a rock, because crystals are rocks, but the "crystalline" substance that it is composed of permits light to mostly pass through it (aside from the high frequency violet, which is the only color it reflects - which also shows its weakness, Psychic, the "purple type") which gives it a ghost-like form. It can blend in fairly well, which further alludes to its "ghost" type. Also, because Onix was "carved away", going through intense heating to form this crystal skin, it lost a lot of its generic rock appearance, which also supports its ghost type due to the loss of its past self. To further add, Steelix lost its first type (Rock) for Steel, but kept its second type (Ground). I wanted to do the opposite with Crystalix, keeping its first type (Rock), but changing its second type (Ground) to Ghost. The Ground type would not fit Crystalix at all, but Rock and Ghost certainly do.

Wrath`

Smash Master

sick, awesome, hard as a diamond, so only another Crystalix could hurt it, scince only diamonds can break daimonds, well lasers can too, but there is no laser pokemon.

majora_787

Smash Hero
That's my first attempt at a restyling. I'm sure I could have done better, and I'm sure I could've found a bigger sprite to work with. Oh well. :ohwell:

Spire

III
BRoomer
That's my first attempt at a restyling. I'm sure I could have done better, and I'm sure I could've found a bigger sprite to work with. Oh well. :ohwell:
That's great! I noticed that you added black to the whites of its eyes to give it a colder, darker appearance without overloading it with dark colors. Sometimes, that's all it takes. Small details are very, very important, because in sprites, every pixel counts. I also appreciate that you used two different types of blues - one for its main skin, and the other for its belly (and a bit of both on the top of its head and the bottoms of its feet). Now, how about you erase the fire and draw [from scratch] a block of ice that's relatively the same shape of the fire. Remember, ice must be blocky and thick.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I couldn't keep the green, to make an icy feeling I had to use only black and cold colors. I consider green cool, not cold.

Where would I find bigger sprites? The ones I found are...really...really small...

Well they seem small anyway. Plus, I can't find sprites for all of deoxys's forms.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I couldn't keep the green, to make an icy feeling I had to use only black and cold colors. I consider green cool, not cold.

Where would I find bigger sprites? The ones I found are...really...really small...

Well they seem small anyway. Plus, I can't find sprites for all of deoxys's forms.
Bulbapedia is where you want to go. Just search for any Pokemon and the sprites are at the bottom of their page.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's not a fusion. Just a recolor and a block of ice. If I can edit Charmander I can get good at this. :D

A couple more. I need to amusemyself somehow, lol.

EDIT: Okay nobody's responded in a while, so I'll just ask here. On pokemon ruby, I'm trying to catch latios, but I dunno how. It always escapes ultra balls and it has less than half its HP. Any pointers?

zrky

Smash Lol'd
It's not a fusion. Just a recolor and a block of ice. If I can edit Charmander I can get good at this. :D

A couple more. I need to amusemyself somehow, lol.

EDIT: Okay nobody's responded in a while, so I'll just ask here. On pokemon ruby, I'm trying to catch latios, but I dunno how. It always escapes ultra balls and it has less than half its HP. Any pointers?
Like the new recolors:)
For Latios, you should use a pokemon with arena trap or shadow tag so it won't escape.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
The first gen is... Really not cool at all, if it wasn't for the fact that it is the first gen.

Farfetch'd's originality doesn't blow me away.

A phantom balloon, however...

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Man, I'm loving this thread. It's just full of ideas and enthusiasm. I'm almost getting sentimental.

How about a Vileplume/Victreebel sprite?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I hate the first generation, except for Yellow. Yellow was ok.

Okay, you asked for this.

Do you realize how much fail came from the fourth gen? IT was like Nintendo didn't even try to come up with interesting Pokemon! A lot of them felt like sprite edits of old ones with different names! Even the ones that could pass as somewhat original were boring! And twelve legendaries? No. One million times no. It doesn't really feel legendary when a ten-year-old kid has the ability to capture the creatures controlling time and space.

And the story? We expected at least some innovation with the releases of Ranger and Mystery Dungeon. But what do we get? Another uninspired story. At least they tried to change it up a bit with Ruby and Sapphire, but in Diamond and Pearl we get the exact same story that we had in generation one.

The fourth generation failed.

Mewter

Smash Master

Do you realize how much fail came from the fourth gen? IT was like Nintendo didn't even try to come up with interesting Pokemon! A lot of them felt like sprite edits of old ones with different names! Even the ones that could pass as somewhat original were boring! And twelve legendaries? No. One million times no. It doesn't really feel legendary when a ten-year-old kid has the ability to capture the creatures controlling time and space.

And the story? We expected at least some innovation with the releases of Ranger and Mystery Dungeon. But what do we get? Another uninspired story. At least they tried to change it up a bit with Ruby and Sapphire, but in Diamond and Pearl we get the exact same story that we had in generation one.

yes, it did.

The Order of Awesomeness
Second Gneration

First Generation and Third Generation

Fifth Genaration

Sixth Generation

Fourth Generation. I didn't feel excited at all when I got Diamond.(Maybe just a little. Nothing Compared to Third Generation.)

No offense to Fourth Generation Peoples.

Anyone got any REEEEAAAALLY interesting requests for me? I want to make up for the lack of time with quality sprites.(Since everybody else is so far ahead)

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman

The 4th generation was the best. Hands down. Every new generation was better than the previous one.

Mewter

Smash Master
The 4th generation was the best. Hands down. Every new generation was better than the previous one.
i just didn't feel the same as the others for some reason or another....

plot holes

some not-so-cool sprites.

Stuff like that.

But for Gameplay Quality, Fourth Generation beats all.

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
i just didn't feel the same as the others for some reason or another....

plot holes

some not-so-cool sprites.

Stuff like that.

But for Gameplay Quality, Fourth Generation beats all.
I'm a "newer games are better" kind of guy. I have yet to be disappointed with DP at all.

Spire

III
BRoomer
You didn't play the first gen back in '98, did you. There was true magic there that none of the following generations could project. Sure, the Pokemon in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generations don't look much like they did in the 1st gen, but that's because Pokemon was fresh and new, and the designs hadn't taken a complete form yet. Pokemon have changed over time, and so have the games - but the games have changed not for the better. Without the 1st gen, you would have nothing. Without the standards that the 1st gen set, you would have no, "grass, fire, water starters," no legendaries, no gyms, no elite four, no Snorlax, no nothing! Pokemon debuted at a prime time in gaming - right after the '64 kicked off, but before the higher-tech games came in. If Pokemon had never been made until the 4th generation, odds are, you, me, and most people probably wouldn't be playing it, and besides that, it wouldn't be the Pokemon we have now. None of the Pokemon from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and perhaps even 4th generations would even exist. Yeah, it would be all new, but it would just be "another monster catcher" game.

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
You didn't play the first gen back in '98, did you. There was true magic there that none of the following generations could project. Sure, the Pokemon in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generations don't look much like they did in the 1st gen, but that's because Pokemon was fresh and new, and the designs hadn't taken a complete form yet. Pokemon have changed over time, and so have the games - but the games have changed not for the better. Without the 1st gen, you would have nothing. Without the standards that the 1st gen set, you would have no, "grass, fire, water starters," no legendaries, no gyms, no elite four, no Snorlax, no nothing! Pokemon debuted at a prime time in gaming - right after the '64 kicked off, but before the higher-tech games came in. If Pokemon had never been made until the 4th generation, odds are, you, me, and most people probably wouldn't be playing it, and besides that, it wouldn't be the Pokemon we have now. None of the Pokemon from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and perhaps even 4th generations would even exist. Yeah, it would be all new, but it would just be "another monster catcher" game.
I've played every single game from the exact moment that it came out in stores, so yes, I played the first generation when it first came out.

4th generation > 3rd generation > 2nd generation > 1st generation

Sorry, but in my opinion, pokemon's gotten A LOT better with each new generation, especially the 4th one.

Ban3

Smash Journeyman
is fighting for his friends at Sugar Land TEXAS
I've played every single game from the exact moment that it came out in stores, so yes, I played the first generation when it first came out.

4th generation > 3rd generation > 2nd generation > 1st generation

Sorry, but in my opinion, pokemon's gotten A LOT better with each new generation, especially the 4th one.
but there arnt any fire types. and too many water types >.>

Wrath`

Smash Master
I like the second gen the best, it was my first game,gold,and it was very amazing, the story and the elite four, it felt like you acomplished something when you first finished red of at moutnt silver.Also it had tyranitar,the best pokemanz ever.

So when i played red, wich i lost to the lake, but i did get to molteres in the elet cavern. it was again amazing, even tho i had played gold and crystal it was still breathtaking in a way.

so saphire comes out, cool story,but that feel just wasnt there, same with diamond. they are good but gen 1 and 2 have way beat 3rd and 4th.

Can we make requests now? cause if we can, i'd want to see any trainer sprite with ho-oh wings.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I have no reason to say the first generation was worse than the second, but I started pokemon with Gold and Silver. I ended with Ruby and Sapphire, and plan on getting Platinum so I can judge for myself.

IMO, First and Second gens are tied. Third Generation was a tiny bit worse, I hate the concepts for some of the 3g pokemon. The fourth generation, I haven't played a 4g game. So I can't really say much.

Oh, we can request again? Kay, I'll be sure to get my list out.

Top Bottom