• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Sun/Moon Storage + Pokémon Bank

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
As you may already know, Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon take up a whopping 3.2GB of storage on a 3DS (a little over 26,000 blocks). I'm one of the unfortunate victims that still use the general 4GB SD Card on the 3DS, so making room for these games is virtually impossible.

Seriously though, even after deleting nearly every game on my 3DS in my System Settings, I still struggle to carve out 26,000 free blocks for software. I am planning on purchasing just Pokémon Moon. It seems that I can make enough room for Pokémon Moon if I delete my Pokémon Omega Ruby file (1.8GB). With Pokémon entries, deleting the game is really no big deal, but keeping your beloved Pokémon is the deal-breaker. I have Pokémon on Omega Ruby that I've trained since I was six years old, so losing them is not an option.

I have Pokémon Bank downloaded on my 3DS, and I have used it before to transfer Pokémon without difficulty. My plan is to transfer all the Pokémon on Omega Ruby to Pokémon Bank, to delete the Omega Ruby file to make room for Moon, then to move the Pokémon from Pokémon Bank to Moon.

If I delete the Omega Ruby save-file while my Pokémon are in the Bank, will those Pokémon be lost since they were derived from that game? What are the risks? I am sure the easier alternative is to simply purchase a larger SD Card to avoid all of this, but if I really were determined to go through with this plan, would it work?

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
As you may already know, Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon take up a whopping 3.2GB of storage on a 3DS (a little over 26,000 blocks). I'm one of the unfortunate victims that still use the general 4GB SD Card on the 3DS, so making room for these games is virtually impossible.

Seriously though, even after deleting nearly every game on my 3DS in my System Settings, I still struggle to carve out 26,000 free blocks for software. I am planning on purchasing just Pokémon Moon. It seems that I can make enough room for Pokémon Moon if I delete my Pokémon Omega Ruby file (1.8GB). With Pokémon entries, deleting the game is really no big deal, but keeping your beloved Pokémon is the deal-breaker. I have Pokémon on Omega Ruby that I've trained since I was six years old, so losing them is not an option.

I have Pokémon Bank downloaded on my 3DS, and I have used it before to transfer Pokémon without difficulty. My plan is to transfer all the Pokémon on Omega Ruby to Pokémon Bank, to delete the Omega Ruby file to make room for Moon, then to move the Pokémon from Pokémon Bank to Moon.

If I delete the Omega Ruby save-file while my Pokémon are in the Bank, will those Pokémon be lost since they were derived from that game? What are the risks? I am sure the easier alternative is to simply purchase a larger SD Card to avoid all of this, but if I really were determined to go through with this plan, would it work?
the Pokemon in Omega ruby will be deleted but those in the Bank will stay there since there is no relation to the Bank boxes and the in-game boxes outside of being able to connect with the other. the only way they would be lost in the Bank is if the Application is not paid after a certain amount of time. it would most likely work but there is a better solution in not getting the digital copy and getting the physical one instead since it won't require losing your current games and having to re-download them when you get a better SD card..

I myself am getting the physical copy because I already pre-ordered it before we found out about the data size..

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
the Pokemon in Omega ruby will be deleted but those in the Bank will stay there since there is no relation to the Bank boxes and the in-game boxes outside of being able to connect with the other. the only way they would be lost in the Bank is if they are lost in Pokemon Bank is if the Application is not paid after a certain amount of time. it would most likely work but there is a better solution in not getting the digital copy and getting the physical one instead since it won't require losing your current games and having to re-download them when you get a better SD card..

I myself am getting the physical copy because I already pre-ordered it before we found out about the data size..
Oh crap, they delete pokemon in the bank after a time

I hope I didn't put anything good in it

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Oh crap, they delete pokemon in the bank after a time

I hope I didn't put anything good in it
Unless you still have an active pass then they should be fine. They never mentioned the time frame before they get deleted though so I don't know how long they can stay in there before they get evicted

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I would personally get a 32 GB SDHC card (or better), and just move your 3DS SD card data over to the new SDHC card.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Unless you still have an active pass then they should be fine. They never mentioned the time frame before they get deleted though so I don't know how long they can stay in there before they get evicted
I don't think I paid in months. Like, half a year at least

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm pretty sure that the Pokemon who are stored in your Pokemon Bank account will stick around if you continue to pay for your pass. Once the pass expires, however, then you could be in trouble if you didn't move your Pokemon over to the 6th generation titles before the expiration date.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I sold my game that had all my good Pokémon, so PokéBank irrelevant to me. Also if this bottle cap business is legit, I would like to start over anyways. Also I'm likely getting the retail version rather then the download. I have games like Shovel Knight, Cave Story and such on my 3DS that I still play from time to time, and deleting them for a game I can get a discount on isn't worth it to me.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually I think I have most of my important pokemon in game, but I might have had certain others in the bank

I don't think I lost anything I can't replace

I think I had the special Johto starters they gave away in it

Last edited:
Top Bottom