• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Squirtle for that Type Effectiveness against more than half the fire-damage dealing characters. I wonder if that would return because that was the most logical built-in pkmn mechanic from the PT pkmn.

gitryan

Smash Rookie
I had a dream last night, which involved PKM trainer being announced as a character. Her forward and B summoned a Lapras, which acted as a cross between Wario's motorcycle and Piplup's surf.
I was disappointed when I woke up, to find out it wasn't real.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
I don't know if this was mentioned, but what if Pokemon Trainer Appears in Charizard's Victory Poses or even his Final Smash, Actually activating the Mega Evolution for him.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Gengar darkens the battle!!!! Seriously we need a telekinetic fighter. His paralyzing lick could be a combo starter. He could float like metaknight when running. Gengar ftw!! (@_@)

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
I will be infuriated if PKMN Trainer does not appear in Smash U/3DS. He is the true Main Character of Pokemon. I always wondered why he wasn't in Smash64 to begin with and was very delighted to finally see him in Brawl. So I hope he will have really any kind of role in Smash U.

As a previous poster mentioned. Would be awesome if for Charizard's and Lucario's final smash he would jump onto the stage and activate the Megaevolution.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
All pkm trainer does is walk around the background... Big woo. Waste of space

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Don't think he's going to make it, especially with having four Pokemon there atm. I don't really care to see him due to the variety we have.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Don't think he's going to make it, especially with having four Pokemon there atm. I don't really care to see him due to the variety we have.
Could argue that if the Pokemon series is only represented by the Pocket Monsters themselves, there is something in the actual variety of the mechanics and variations of the games themselves that we are lacking. There are a lot more to the Pokemon games (Dungeon, Pinball, Snap, Ranger, etc etc etc) than just the Pokemon.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Could argue that if the Pokemon series is only represented by the Pocket Monsters themselves, there is something in the actual variety of the mechanics and variations of the games themselves that we are lacking. There are a lot more to the Pokemon games (Dungeon, Pinball, Snap, Ranger, etc etc etc) than just the Pokemon.
The same goes for several of the types of games though. I agree though. Not sure how you'd bring stuff in from some of those games... Pinball, etc.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
I have extreme doubts of PT making it back in considering that Sakurai said that there are no more transformation characters...

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Nice ahri sig.

But yeah @ G-Beast G-Beast , I solemnly agree as well. There's practically nothing about PT when you take Switching / transformations mid-battle from him. PT / Red / Ranger would have to have their own built-in move-set using pokemon for specials while moving.

There was a few animations PT had in Brawl where he'd jump over obstacles n such. Having something like that he may have been a momentary thought of being playable on his own, but is not in the slightest enough evidence to confirm that.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No; he would have to be completely remade.
I'd LOVE for him to. I think it would be incredibly shocking, and actually be one of the best things Sakurai could do for Pokemon in Smash. There is not much going for him.
But I am here to advocate for him. As my avatar shows, I am an amazing fan. If you want part of the story as to why, go to my profile page here, or my twitter, @ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon

We do have some things in his favor.
Pokemon Trainer is the original Avatar character. We currently have Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and the Miis. All of them can be male or female, and they were all ushered in by none other than PT himself. He may just leave his legacy behind, or perhaps he will remain to share in his ability, this time as male or female.

Sakurai stated he wanted to do no cuts. He planned none, because of fans. It may be improbable that Squirtle and Ivysaur are back *though, I'd love it*, but perhaps the best way he could appease fans would be to put them as summons of some sort to Pokemon Trainer. (Y'know, with puff...). It would be a not-full-demotion.

On Sakurai's logic, he has said.

From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!”
This was in relation to Chrom. It gives me hope that he is aware Pokemon is not truly represented just by pieced-together favorite Pokemon alone, given the variety of the series.

“But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things.”
That makes it apparent to me that we are quite likely to get at least something which is surprising and fitting. So far the Pokemon line up is incredibly lacking, and adding in Jigglypuff is even more off kilter. Even adding in Mewtwo to that only corrects it some. We've never gotten just one Pokemon Newcomer in a game (we had two in N64, two in Melee, 4 in Brawl). Pokemon is just as popular as ever (well, not counting 98-00), it will get as many reps as always, I feel. Though a revamped Mewtwo and Pokemon Trainer would be considered new, as well.

“For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward.
Pokemon Trainer will always be relevant in the movies and anime. Always. While we got a lot more from the original game from the anime (Goldeen and other Pokeball pokemon functions, Pikachu's summoning sky thunder...), and the recent ones take more from the games, we have a lot of anime to work with now! Mewtwo has returned, Sceptile is a big guy, Origins is around-- who knows!

“What’s the hot Pokémon? What Pokémon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front.
This just makes me laugh because people think Sakurai knew nothing about ORAS. My point here is that trainer connection to all the Mega Evolution's may or may not be pertinent.

*I believed there was a statement Sakurai made about how pleased he was with Pokemon Trainer, how he fit in on his own as a unique character, offered something others couldn't... now I cannot*

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
With that, Pokemon Trainer is just a trophy. At least I heard he has a trophy...better than nothing I suppose.

Spirst

With that, Pokemon Trainer is just a trophy. At least I heard he has a trophy...better than nothing I suppose.
Being relegated to a trophy is so sad. It's just like an old man finding a picture of a special moment long ago in his prime days; a distant memory of a time when he was really alive and kicking.

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice

They didn't even update the model... it's the same as the Brawl model.

Interesting note though... the first few names in the text Kasumi, Takeshi, Shirona, Airisu and Satoshi (and whatever it says next to that... i don't know Japanese).... Misty, Brock, Cynthia, Iris and Ash. Surprised they added Ash as he's an anime-only character.

Hoping the Wii U model is updated a bit more than this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom